Since we're all here, we must not be all there. -- Bob "Mountain" Beck

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Images of Legacy Iguanus and Skywarp

SubjectAuthor
* Images of Legacy Iguanus and SkywarpZobovor
+- Re: Images of Legacy Iguanus and SkywarpIrrellius Spamticon
`* Re: Images of Legacy Iguanus and SkywarpGustavo Wombat
 +- Re: Images of Legacy Iguanus and SkywarpIrrellius Spamticon
 `- Re: Images of Legacy Iguanus and SkywarpZobovor

1
Images of Legacy Iguanus and Skywarp

<796b28c5-fee9-408d-965d-1c8d5e62d2fan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5372&group=alt.toys.transformers#5372

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 16:55:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Images of Legacy Iguanus and Skywarp
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 00:55 UTC

Official Hasbro images of Iguanus and Skywarp popped up today:

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-legacy-iguanus-and-skywarp-revealed/46615/

Skywarp, a Core-class toy, is a redeco of Starscream (big surprise there) but he doesn't appear to come with his arm-mounted guns, which is unfortunate. In lieu of his traditional weapons, he appears to have a gigantic speculum, just in case PotP Moonracer gets pregnant again.

As reported, Iguanus is the G1 Pretender character, but this time he's a smallish purple lizard-man who transforms directly into a smallish purple lizard-motorcycle, eliminating the Pretender aspect entirely. G1 Iguanus has been difficult to find on eBay for many months now, so I'm not super worried about this toy's release affecting the availability of the vintage toy (I still need one, you see, and the release of a neo-G1 toy inevitably drives the pricing up of the vintage units).

This works okay for Iguanus, since he was a purple robot who had a purple Pretender shell, but it's not going to work so well for other characters whose shells were different colors than their robot forms. I don't love the idea, but maybe this is a necessary intermediate step so we can get some good Pretenders in a year or three.

Iguanus also comes with a weird weapon, and given the shape of the parts that come with him as well as Skywarp, they're obviously the crossguard and hilt for a build-a-sword, probably meant for Hot Rod (who is a late Core-class Kingdom toy, but will presumably get a package refresh for Legacy).

Zob (might need to get an extra Core-class Starscream and some black Rit dye, I guess)

Re: Images of Legacy Iguanus and Skywarp

<f78cefd7-73a9-4d37-bdf7-5af770be2d04n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5376&group=alt.toys.transformers#5376

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:07:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Images of Legacy Iguanus and Skywarp
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 05:07 UTC

On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 6:55:18 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> Official Hasbro images of Iguanus and Skywarp popped up today:
>
> https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-legacy-iguanus-and-skywarp-revealed/46615/
>
> Skywarp, a Core-class toy, is a redeco of Starscream (big surprise there) but he doesn't appear to come with his arm-mounted guns, which is unfortunate. In lieu of his traditional weapons, he appears to have a gigantic speculum, just in case PotP Moonracer gets pregnant again.
>
> As reported, Iguanus is the G1 Pretender character, but this time he's a smallish purple lizard-man who transforms directly into a smallish purple lizard-motorcycle, eliminating the Pretender aspect entirely. G1 Iguanus has been difficult to find on eBay for many months now, so I'm not super worried about this toy's release affecting the availability of the vintage toy (I still need one, you see, and the release of a neo-G1 toy inevitably drives the pricing up of the vintage units).
>
> This works okay for Iguanus, since he was a purple robot who had a purple Pretender shell, but it's not going to work so well for other characters whose shells were different colors than their robot forms. I don't love the idea, but maybe this is a necessary intermediate step so we can get some good Pretenders in a year or three.
>
> Iguanus also comes with a weird weapon, and given the shape of the parts that come with him as well as Skywarp, they're obviously the crossguard and hilt for a build-a-sword, probably meant for Hot Rod (who is a late Core-class Kingdom toy, but will presumably get a package refresh for Legacy).
>

> Zob (might need to get an extra Core-class Starscream and some black Rit dye, I guess)

I''m definitely getting Skywarp, and Iguanus has wheels which is a leg up on his G1 self, even better if they turn.

I've been staring at my Iguanus on the display shelf and wondering why he was a pretender I spent effort to get while I was selling off my other Pretenders. His shell is the only good thing about him and I find myself not too upset if he loses it for a redux.

Re: Images of Legacy Iguanus and Skywarp

<ss8j3j$ogk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5378&group=alt.toys.transformers#5378

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:45:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:45 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> Official Hasbro images of Iguanus and Skywarp popped up today:
>

> https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-legacy-iguanus-and-skywarp-revealed/46615/
>
> Skywarp, a Core-class toy, is a redeco of Starscream (big surprise there)
> but he doesn't appear to come with his arm-mounted guns, which is
> unfortunate. In lieu of his traditional weapons, he appears to have a
> gigantic speculum, just in case PotP Moonracer gets pregnant again.

It’s a sling shot held sideways!

The point of the seekers is they are identical other than color. Why would
they mess with him this way? This makes less sense than even breaking with
that and going radically different for each one.

> As reported, Iguanus is the G1 Pretender character, but this time he's a
> smallish purple lizard-man who transforms directly into a smallish purple
> lizard-motorcycle, eliminating the Pretender aspect entirely. G1 Iguanus
> has been difficult to find on eBay for many months now, so I'm not super
> worried about this toy's release affecting the availability of the
> vintage toy (I still need one, you see, and the release of a neo-G1 toy
> inevitably drives the pricing up of the vintage units).
>
> This works okay for Iguanus, since he was a purple robot who had a purple
> Pretender shell, but it's not going to work so well for other characters
> whose shells were different colors than their robot forms. I don't love
> the idea, but maybe this is a necessary intermediate step so we can get
> some good Pretenders in a year or three.

I get that Iguanus had a bad motorcycle mode originally, but why would they
try to match it for badness? The robot mode looks great though.

> Iguanus also comes with a weird weapon, and given the shape of the parts
> that come with him as well as Skywarp, they're obviously the crossguard
> and hilt for a build-a-sword, probably meant for Hot Rod (who is a late
> Core-class Kingdom toy, but will presumably get a package refresh for Legacy).
>

> Zob (might need to get an extra Core-class Starscream and some black Rit dye, I guess)

Someone will make the guns as a third party add on.

Re: Images of Legacy Iguanus and Skywarp

<4a70cf14-5f2a-4218-a604-fa83641c154fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5380&group=alt.toys.transformers#5380

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 06:23:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:23 UTC

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 2:45:43 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Official Hasbro images of Iguanus and Skywarp popped up today:
> >

> > https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-legacy-iguanus-and-skywarp-revealed/46615/
> >
> > Skywarp, a Core-class toy, is a redeco of Starscream (big surprise there)
> > but he doesn't appear to come with his arm-mounted guns, which is
> > unfortunate. In lieu of his traditional weapons, he appears to have a
> > gigantic speculum, just in case PotP Moonracer gets pregnant again.
> It’s a sling shot held sideways!
>
> The point of the seekers is they are identical other than color. Why would
> they mess with him this way? This makes less sense than even breaking with
> that and going radically different for each one.
> > As reported, Iguanus is the G1 Pretender character, but this time he's a
> > smallish purple lizard-man who transforms directly into a smallish purple
> > lizard-motorcycle, eliminating the Pretender aspect entirely. G1 Iguanus
> > has been difficult to find on eBay for many months now, so I'm not super
> > worried about this toy's release affecting the availability of the
> > vintage toy (I still need one, you see, and the release of a neo-G1 toy
> > inevitably drives the pricing up of the vintage units).
> >
> > This works okay for Iguanus, since he was a purple robot who had a purple
> > Pretender shell, but it's not going to work so well for other characters
> > whose shells were different colors than their robot forms. I don't love
> > the idea, but maybe this is a necessary intermediate step so we can get
> > some good Pretenders in a year or three.
> I get that Iguanus had a bad motorcycle mode originally, but why would they
> try to match it for badness? The robot mode looks great though.
> > Iguanus also comes with a weird weapon, and given the shape of the parts
> > that come with him as well as Skywarp, they're obviously the crossguard
> > and hilt for a build-a-sword, probably meant for Hot Rod (who is a late
> > Core-class Kingdom toy, but will presumably get a package refresh for Legacy).
> >

> > Zob (might need to get an extra Core-class Starscream and some black Rit dye, I guess)
> >
> Someone will make the guns as a third party add on.

We already have an explanation for the weird weapons. I don't like it, it's a bit too much like The Force Awakens toys for me.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=493523849009325&id=100050551416583&sfnsn=mo

I guess these at least look like something in the end instead of a pile of random parts though? At least I hope so, because the combining Star Wars weapons was worthless.

Re: Images of Legacy Iguanus and Skywarp

<e57a8bbb-25f7-49dd-859d-0c95785ba67cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5381&group=alt.toys.transformers#5381

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:15:23 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 19 Jan 2022 21:15 UTC

On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 1:45:43 AM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> The point of the seekers is they are identical other than color. Why would
> they mess with him this way? This makes less sense than even breaking with
> that and going radically different for each one.

Well, maybe Hasbro figures that the Core versions of the familiar characters aren't the "real" updates for them, so it's okay to tamper with them a bit more. I mean, the Earthrise version of Skywarp is, I would assume, most people's neo-G1 representation of the character. (I was honestly only gobbling up the Core class toys because I had anticipated that the Ark was going to be a playset, and I thought the Core class toys were meant to interact with it.)

But, yes, it's a bad idea. It makes Skywarp less appealing to collect if he's not going to match Starscream (and Thundercracker, when and if we get one).

> I get that Iguanus had a bad motorcycle mode originally, but why would they
> try to match it for badness? The robot mode looks great though.

Traditionally, Hasbro has always started with the vehicle styling first and then tried to figure out how to get that to unfold into a robot. With Iguanus, they obviously started with the robo-lizard form as the end result, and then had to figure out how to get a motorcycle out of that. So, of course it's not going to be a very good vehicle, because it had to look like Iguanus's outer Pretender shell.

On the other hand, it wouldn't make a bad Cy-Kill if they kept the same engineering and just did some major remolding.

Zob (still wants updates of the three main Guardians and three main Renegades, just sayin')