From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: [NEWS] "The Saint" movie in development ('reimagined' garbage)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 08:36:15 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 20:36 UTC

Oh dear, yet more "reimagined" and ethnicity-swapped garbage to appease
the "Politically Correct" whiners and tickboxers. This is NOT "The
Saint", so don't call it that! :-(

From ComingSoon.net ...

Rege-Jean Page to Star in Paramount's Reboot of The Saint
After his breakout role in Netflix's Bridgerton, Rege-Jean Page
will star and executive produce in a new, reimagined version of
The Saint, according to a recent report from Deadline.

Based on the 1920s book series by Leslie Charteris, The Saint
will follow Simon Templar, better known as The Saint, a Robin
Hood-esque criminal who gets hired to go on various adventures
around the world. Throughout the last few decades, various
adaptations of the story have been told, with the most famous
being a 1960s British TV series starring Roger Moore, along
with the 1997 feature starring Val Kilmer.

Now, it seems as if Paramount is getting ready to reboot the
franchise with a new film, with Lorenzo DiBonaventura, Brad
Krevoy, and the late Robert Evans producing the film with Kwame
Kwei-Armah penning the script.

While the story for The Saint has been told often, Deadline
reports that this reboot will be a completely new take on the
story, and one that "completely reimagines" both the character
and world around him. Other details on the upcoming reboot,
including a director and more concrete plot details, are
unknown at this time.

<https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1188903-rege-jean-page-to-star-in-paramounts-reboot-of-the-saint>

Re: [NEWS] "The Saint" movie in development ('reimagined' garbage)

<imblc1Fo4gdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5394&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5394

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: 28 Jul 2021 00:06:25 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 00:06 UTC

In article <sdpqnv$1ii0$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>Oh dear, yet more "reimagined" and ethnicity-swapped garbage to appease
>the "Politically Correct" whiners and tickboxers. This is NOT "The
>Saint", so don't call it that! :-(

It's kind of bizarre. Why take on a property at all if you don't want
to actually use it? Not that the Moore was all that faithful either, but
it was certainly closer than this sounds to be.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: [NEWS] "The Saint" movie in development ('reimagined' garbage)

<Ph3MI.47135$sI4.24618@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5395&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5395

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:29:02 -0400
 by: moviePig - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 02:29 UTC

On 7/27/2021 8:06 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <sdpqnv$1ii0$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear, yet more "reimagined" and ethnicity-swapped garbage to appease
>> the "Politically Correct" whiners and tickboxers. This is NOT "The
>> Saint", so don't call it that! :-(
>>

> It's kind of bizarre. Why take on a property at all if you don't want
> to actually use it? Not that the Moore was all that faithful either, but
> it was certainly closer than this sounds to be.

They're not going after people who read the original, they're going
after people who think the original is special because people read it.

Re: [NEWS] "The Saint" movie in development ('reimagined' garbage)

<imbu9dFpqepU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5396&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5396

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: 28 Jul 2021 02:38:37 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 02:38 UTC

In article <Ph3MI.47135$sI4.24618@fx40.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>On 7/27/2021 8:06 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <sdpqnv$1ii0$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh dear, yet more "reimagined" and ethnicity-swapped garbage to appease
>>> the "Politically Correct" whiners and tickboxers. This is NOT "The
>>> Saint", so don't call it that! :-(
>>>

>> It's kind of bizarre. Why take on a property at all if you don't want
>> to actually use it? Not that the Moore was all that faithful either, but
>> it was certainly closer than this sounds to be.
>
>They're not going after people who read the original, they're going
>after people who think the original is special because people read it.

Well, I guess, but at this point that's like making a Bulldog Drummond movie.

Just as an aside, the books from the 20s through the 40s are a lot of fun
and cheap on kindle now. I definitely recommend them.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: [NEWS] "The Saint" movie in development ('reimagined' garbage)

<87eebikefc.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5398&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5398

From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 11:53:11 +0300
 by: Otto J. Makela - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 08:53 UTC

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> It's kind of bizarre. Why take on a property at all if you don't want
> to actually use it? Not that the Moore was all that faithful either,
> but it was certainly closer than this sounds to be.

The standard Hollywood trope: "we liked your original material so much,
we only changed the plot and the characters."
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */