From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Playing with Titans Return Perceptor
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 00:01:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 00:01 UTC

First, it’s immediately apparent how much better designed and engineered
Siege era toys are. Just wow. This was a good toy, but now he feels light
and cheap.

Second, if the needs to look at the contents of a high shelf, he can raise
his entire head assembly. I kind of wish transformers were shown using
partial transformations for practical effect in the media, as it would make
them feel more real.

Third, it’s a shame that the holes on his shoulders are are wider than 5mm.
I know he normally doesn’t have seeker weapons on his shoulders, but I
should have the option. Really, any hole between 3 and 7mm should always be
5mm.

Fourth, in microscope mode, if a Titan Master is on his repair bay slide
holder tray, it allows Perceptor to really examine the Titan Master’s
crotch.

Fifth, the non-standard stand for the Titan Master in tank mode just does
not work.

Sixth, carrying the lens part as a rifle in robot mode is very silly.

Seventh, attached to his arm like Megatron’s cannon is even sillier, but
now I want a Megatron redeco. I don’t care if he is in Cloud (home of many
poorly conceived redecos, like Thrilling 30 Springer as Hot Rod) or
Shattered Glass or what, but it’s too silly and stupid to never happen. You
might think Tamar going from a gun to a microscope is a downgrade, but
isn’t science the ultimate weapon?

Re: Playing with Titans Return Perceptor

<7b0f5d78-a1ee-4d49-ab7b-f0a98a588c7an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5407&group=alt.toys.transformers#5407

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 19:37:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Playing with Titans Return Perceptor
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 03:37 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 5:01:26 PM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> First, it’s immediately apparent how much better designed and engineered
> Siege era toys are. Just wow. This was a good toy, but now he feels light
> and cheap.

My nine-year-old daughter inherited Titans Return Kup from my 14-year-old son (he wants the Studio Series version now, so he's rejected the Titans Return edition as patently inferior) and I was helping her transform it last night. Parts kept popping off in my hands. It was infuriating. I'd totally forgotten that Transformers used to do this all the damn time.
> Second, if the needs to look at the contents of a high shelf, he can raise
> his entire head assembly. I kind of wish transformers were shown using
> partial transformations for practical effect in the media, as it would make
> them feel more real.

There must be a reason why they don't do it more often. Maybe it hurts to stop in mid-transformation? I imagine it's like putting a disk into your DVD player but then grabbing the tray and yanking on it as it tries to close..

But, yes, partial transformations are fun. When they did it on Challenge of the GoBots, it was unilaterally goofy (usually just the vehicle mode with the robot face poking out somewhere). But it would have a utilitarian function as well. I can think of plenty of reasons for a car to be driving along with its robot arms poking out.

> Third, it’s a shame that the holes on his shoulders are are wider than 5mm.
> I know he normally doesn’t have seeker weapons on his shoulders, but I
> should have the option. Really, any hole between 3 and 7mm should always be
> 5mm.

Well, you're talking about a toy that was designed well before the C.O.M.B.A.T. days. But, I agree. I used to love it when you could load up characters with extra weapons. The G1 Soundwave toy can wear them on the sides of his arms, the backs of his shoulders, the sides of his legs. G1 Scavenger had all those peg-shaped holes so you could literally arm him with all six of the Constructicons' pistols.

> Seventh, attached to his arm like Megatron’s cannon is even sillier, but
> now I want a Megatron redeco. I don’t care if he is in Cloud (home of many
> poorly conceived redecos, like Thrilling 30 Springer as Hot Rod) or
> Shattered Glass or what, but it’s too silly and stupid to never happen. You
> might think going from a gun to a microscope is a downgrade, but
> isn’t science the ultimate weapon?

I think we're well past the point of getting any sort of redeco version of Titans Return Perceptor. But, I'm betting we get at least one solid reuse of Studio Series Perceptor, which honestly looks to be a better toy anyway.

Zob (April 2022 can't come soon enough for me)

Re: Playing with Titans Return Perceptor

<ssrbfb$16lp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5408&group=alt.toys.transformers#5408

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:31:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:31 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 5:01:26 PM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the
> Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
>> First, it’s immediately apparent how much better designed and engineered
>> Siege era toys are. Just wow. This was a good toy, but now he feels light
>> and cheap.
>
> My nine-year-old daughter inherited Titans Return Kup from my 14-year-old
> son (he wants the Studio Series version now, so he's rejected the Titans
> Return edition as patently inferior) and I was helping her transform it
> last night. Parts kept popping off in my hands. It was infuriating.
> I'd totally forgotten that Transformers used to do this all the damn time.

I think Titans Return Kup is one of the better molds in the line. Not a
great Kup, but solid in both modes, and I don’t think I’ve ever had
anything pop off unexpectedly. (Orion Pax is great — definitely feels more
post-Optimus than pre-Optimus though)

And some of the recent WFC toys have parts that fall off, like the flaps on
Ironhide, and the foot on Slamdance, but overall the big price jump came
with a big quality jump.

Still, Titans Returns showed that they had mostly gotten the hang of the
previous budgets, so I don’t want to rag on them too much.

>> Second, if the needs to look at the contents of a high shelf, he can raise
>> his entire head assembly. I kind of wish transformers were shown using
>> partial transformations for practical effect in the media, as it would make
>> them feel more real.
>
> There must be a reason why they don't do it more often. Maybe it hurts
> to stop in mid-transformation? I imagine it's like putting a disk into
> your DVD player but then grabbing the tray and yanking on it as it tries to close.

I’m betting the transformation cog gets in the way. They can’t just
transform part of their body unless the cog is misaligned.

> But, yes, partial transformations are fun. When they did it on Challenge
> of the GoBots, it was unilaterally goofy (usually just the vehicle mode
> with the robot face poking out somewhere). But it would have a
> utilitarian function as well. I can think of plenty of reasons for a car
> to be driving along with its robot arms poking out.

Flipping off other drivers, threatening them with a gun…

>> Third, it’s a shame that the holes on his shoulders are are wider than 5mm.
>> I know he normally doesn’t have seeker weapons on his shoulders, but I
>> should have the option. Really, any hole between 3 and 7mm should always be
>> 5mm.
>
> Well, you're talking about a toy that was designed well before the
> C.O.M.B.A.T. days. But, I agree. I used to love it when you could load
> up characters with extra weapons. The G1 Soundwave toy can wear them on
> the sides of his arms, the backs of his shoulders, the sides of his legs.
> G1 Scavenger had all those peg-shaped holes so you could literally arm
> him with all six of the Constructicons' pistols.

They had lots of intentional 5mm load outs in Energon, so COMBAT isn’t new.
They should always do that when there is going to be a hole.

I remember decking out BW Optimus Primal with extra Energon weapons using
the screw holes on his arms. And RID Optimus had minicon ports.

>> Seventh, attached to his arm like Megatron’s cannon is even sillier, but
>> now I want a Megatron redeco. I don’t care if he is in Cloud (home of many
>> poorly conceived redecos, like Thrilling 30 Springer as Hot Rod) or
>> Shattered Glass or what, but it’s too silly and stupid to never happen. You
>> might think going from a gun to a microscope is a downgrade, but
>> isn’t science the ultimate weapon?
>
> I think we're well past the point of getting any sort of redeco version
> of Titans Return Perceptor. But, I'm betting we get at least one solid
> reuse of Studio Series Perceptor, which honestly looks to be a better toy anyway.

Studio Series Perceptor has a very thin viewing thing. I’m so used to the
original G1 toy proportions it seems off. Plus, there’s no indication his
lens is removable and mountable in stupid spots.

We have the retro box Titans Returns toys. A retro box, faux G1 Megatron
that transforms into a microscope could fit in. The retro box would make it
more gloriously stupid.

Maybe a green G2 version with purple camo?

> Zob (April 2022 can't come soon enough for me)

Re: Playing with Titans Return Perceptor

<d305f7cb-10ca-4d71-add7-fca4dd9420c7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5409&group=alt.toys.transformers#5409

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 13:38:07 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:38 UTC

On Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 4:31:59 AM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> I think Titans Return Kup is one of the better molds in the line. Not a
> great Kup, but solid in both modes, and I don’t think I’ve ever had
> anything pop off unexpectedly. (Orion Pax is great — definitely feels more
> post-Optimus than pre-Optimus though)

My brain is old and inelastic, so I don't retain transformation schemes the way I used to. My daughter wanted me to show her how to transform Kup, and all I really remembered was that the legs exploded into the front and rear fenders. The fists kept coming off, and I wasn't expecting that because everything is held together with pins on the modern toys.

But, G1 Kup has always been an incredibly simple and elegant toy, with a perfect and intuitive transformation, and no modern version of him has ever achieved that level of simplicity.

I suspect my Orion Pax still smells faintly of ramen noodles, but I haven't checked recently.
> And some of the recent WFC toys have parts that fall off, like the flaps on
> Ironhide, and the foot on Slamdance, but overall the big price jump came
> with a big quality jump.

Transformers that fell apart was a problem endemic to the line for so very long that I'm honestly surprised they finally did something about it.
> Still, Titans Returns showed that they had mostly gotten the hang of the
> previous budgets, so I don’t want to rag on them too much.

My daughter also inherited my son's Titans Return Blurr for the same reasons as Kup, and I'm reminded once more about how atrocious his color scheme was. I can't believe this was considered acceptable.

> I’m betting the transformation cog gets in the way. They can’t just
> transform part of their body unless the cog is misaligned.

It's crazy when you consider that transforming was this new thing that their bodies weren't even intended to do originally. Can you imagine the conversations? "Well, I've got this idea about how to beat the Decepticons, but it involves rebuilding your body so that both your arms end up facing backwards and upside-down, and your knees end up touching your ears..."

> They had lots of intentional 5mm load outs in Energon, so COMBAT isn’t new.
> They should always do that when there is going to be a hole.

Definitely. If there's going to be a screw hole or something anyway, at least make it functional!

> We have the retro box Titans Returns toys. A retro box, faux G1 Megatron
> that transforms into a microscope could fit in. The retro box would make it
> more gloriously stupid.

I honestly wouldn't hate that. Especially if the microscope has an undocumented "submarine" mode, know what I mean, nudge nudge, wink wink?

> Maybe a green G2 version with purple camo?

If he's got idiotic stickers plastered all over him that say things like "PERCEPTOR" and "MICROSCOPE LIKE TO MAKE SMALL PROBLEM BIG TO MAKE BIG PROBLEM SMALL" and "SHE BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE," then I'm all for it.

Zob (and maybe an absurdly large, fluorescent-colored missile launcher)

Re: Playing with Titans Return Perceptor

<ssttio$ebu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5413&group=alt.toys.transformers#5413

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 10:53:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 10:53 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 4:31:59 AM UTC-7, Gustavo Wombat, of
> the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
> I suspect my Orion Pax still smells faintly of ramen noodles, but I
> haven't checked recently.

Orion Pax was a poor college student in your version of the continuity? I
could see that.

> My daughter also inherited my son's Titans Return Blurr for the same
> reasons as Kup, and I'm reminded once more about how atrocious his color
> scheme was. I can't believe this was considered acceptable.

No one liked that color scheme. People went out and got the Japanese
version, and he was wonderful.

Amazing mold, great versions of Blurr, Brainstorm, Arcee and Nautica came
from it. Also some weird dark teal guy who tried to pass himself off as
Blurr.

>> I’m betting the transformation cog gets in the way. They can’t just
>> transform part of their body unless the cog is misaligned.
>
> It's crazy when you consider that transforming was this new thing that
> their bodies weren't even intended to do originally. Can you imagine the
> conversations? "Well, I've got this idea about how to beat the
> Decepticons, but it involves rebuilding your body so that both your arms
> end up facing backwards and upside-down, and your knees end up touching your ears..."

Isn’t this literally the plot of The Rebirth?

>> They had lots of intentional 5mm load outs in Energon, so COMBAT isn’t new.
>> They should always do that when there is going to be a hole.
>
> Definitely. If there's going to be a screw hole or something anyway, at
> least make it functional!
>
>> We have the retro box Titans Returns toys. A retro box, faux G1 Megatron
>> that transforms into a microscope could fit in. The retro box would make it
>> more gloriously stupid.
>
> I honestly wouldn't hate that. Especially if the microscope has an
> undocumented "submarine" mode, know what I mean, nudge nudge, wink wink?
>
>> Maybe a green G2 version with purple camo?
>
> If he's got idiotic stickers plastered all over him that say things like
> "PERCEPTOR" and "MICROSCOPE LIKE TO MAKE SMALL PROBLEM BIG TO MAKE BIG
> PROBLEM SMALL" and "SHE BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE," then I'm all for it.

“MEGATRON MAGNIFIES”

“PEACE THROUGH MAGNIFICATION”

> Zob (and maybe an absurdly large, fluorescent-colored missile launcher)

With a bright orange baffle for air power?