A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never quite sure.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

SubjectAuthor
* PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)moviePig
+* Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)william ahearn
|+- Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)moviePig
|+- Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)trotsky
|`* Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)Bill Anderson
| `* Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)moviePig
|  `* Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)Bill Anderson
|   `- Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)moviePig
+* Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)alvey
|+* Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)moviePig
||`- Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)alvey
|`- Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)trotsky
`- Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)trotsky

1
PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<pzIEI.360$Vv6.211@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5270&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5270

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Subject: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:54:13 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:54 UTC

Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<539317fc-ff67-47be-abcf-c044cc0b50d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5272&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5272

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 15:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)
From: wlahe...@gmail.com (william ahearn)
 by: william ahearn - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 22:15 UTC

On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 2:54:16 PM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
> woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
> Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
> wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
> feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.

At least it wasn't a slasher film. It's a revenge film that could have been called I Spit On Your PhD. I wanted a little more intensity, but it wasn't a waste of time.

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<1kb3qkj070cen.dpu3fp8efw3o$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5273&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5273

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 08:33:42 +1000
 by: alvey - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 22:33 UTC

On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:54:13 -0400, moviePig wrote:

> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
> woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
> Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
> wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
> feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.

*Major Soiler below*
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Been a while since I saw it, but iirc, I had a gripe [fx: Cries of 'Oh no',
'Never' etc]. Her scorebook looked as if she'd done her trick hundreds of
times and given that, men are beasts < half-drunk men < half-drunk randy
men, it seems likely to me that she would have been assaulted a few times,
yet in the film there was no mention this happened.

alvey

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<m_LEI.5$kn7.2@fx19.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5274&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5274

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:47:46 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 22:47 UTC

On 7/5/2021 6:33 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:54:13 -0400, moviePig wrote:
>
>> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
>> woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
>> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
>> Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
>> wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
>> feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.
>
> *Major Soiler below*
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Been a while since I saw it, but iirc, I had a gripe [fx: Cries of 'Oh no',
> 'Never' etc]. Her scorebook looked as if she'd done her trick hundreds of
> times and given that, men are beasts < half-drunk men < half-drunk randy
> men, it seems likely to me that she would have been assaulted a few times,
> yet in the film there was no mention this happened.

Yes, in that and some other plausibilities it was a (grim) fairy tale.
But I think its aim was just to be a (preachy) thriller, and it did
manage to pull the rug from under me a few times. So I forgave it.

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<C2MEI.3$6U5.0@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5276&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5276

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:52:18 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 22:52 UTC

On 7/5/2021 6:15 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 2:54:16 PM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
>> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
>> woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
>> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
>> Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
>> wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
>> feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.
>
> At least it wasn't a slasher film. It's a revenge film that could have been called I Spit On Your PhD. I wanted a little more intensity, but it wasn't a waste of time.

Yeah, I seem now to recall having heard 'slasher' intimations -- and I
definitely had heard that Mulligan wasn't hot enough for this role,
which I now judge to have come from people who didn't get the movie.

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<1hoc5j6cqed7h$.ztipfk7fzjtz$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5277&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5277

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 09:18:51 +1000
 by: alvey - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 23:18 UTC

On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:47:46 -0400, moviePig wrote:

> On 7/5/2021 6:33 PM, alvey wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:54:13 -0400, moviePig wrote:
>>
>>> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
>>> woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
>>> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
>>> Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
>>> wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
>>> feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.
>>
>> *Major Soiler below*
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> Been a while since I saw it, but iirc, I had a gripe [fx: Cries of 'Oh no',
>> 'Never' etc]. Her scorebook looked as if she'd done her trick hundreds of
>> times and given that, men are beasts < half-drunk men < half-drunk randy
>> men, it seems likely to me that she would have been assaulted a few times,
>> yet in the film there was no mention this happened.
>
> Yes, in that and some other plausibilities it was a (grim) fairy tale.
> But I think its aim was just to be a (preachy) thriller, and it did
> manage to pull the rug from under me a few times. So I forgave it.

Yep, worth a viewing.

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<sc1qst$k4q$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5284&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5284

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 09:55:26 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 14:55 UTC

On 7/5/21 5:15 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 2:54:16 PM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
>> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
>> woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
>> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
>> Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
>> wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
>> feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.
>
> At least it wasn't a slasher film. It's a revenge film that could have been called I Spit On Your PhD.

Damn, that's a good line. Have you been off cultivating a wit?

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<sc1r07$k4q$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5285&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5285

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 09:57:12 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 14:57 UTC

On 7/5/21 5:33 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:54:13 -0400, moviePig wrote:
>
>> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
>> woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
>> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
>> Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
>> wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
>> feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.
>
> *Major Soiler below*
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Been a while since I saw it, but iirc, I had a gripe

That was a bit predicable.

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<sc1r3g$k4q$5@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5286&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5286

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 09:58:57 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 14:58 UTC

On 7/5/21 1:54 PM, moviePig wrote:

> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
> woman wages a formal vendetta against them.  PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
> Screenplay, which it won.  Its genre is better left undescribed (which
> wouldn't be easy, anyway),

A genre is a category. If it doesn't fit a known genre so be it.

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<w76dndSmbeM69Jr8nZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5444&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5444

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: billande...@yahoo.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 22:42:31 -0500
 by: Bill Anderson - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 03:42 UTC

On 7/5/2021 5:15 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 2:54:16 PM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
>> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
>> woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
>> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
>> Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
>> wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
>> feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.
>
> At least it wasn't a slasher film. It's a revenge film that could have been called I Spit On Your PhD. I wanted a little more intensity, but it wasn't a waste of time.

I found myself slowly being drawn into it and watched with interest to
the end but... Look, I love a good revenge plot. Count of Monte Cristo,
Death Wish, even Hamlet is a pretty good tale. But much as I really
really liked meeting Carey Mulligan whom I hope to see someday in better
things, and much as I applaud the ... um ... examination of fratboy
culture, I really felt dirty watching this movie. It just didn't work
for me. I wouldn't recommend this one to anybody and to say more would
give too much away.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<ADSNI.82537$dp5.50425@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5449&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5449

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 09:42:54 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 13:42 UTC

On 8/1/2021 11:42 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On 7/5/2021 5:15 PM, william ahearn wrote:
>> On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 2:54:16 PM UTC-4, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
>>> Having arrived at a generally dim view of the opposite sex, a young
>>> woman wages a formal vendetta against them. PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN is a
>>> multiple Oscar-nominee, including B.P. and, more promisingly, Best
>>> Screenplay, which it won. Its genre is better left undescribed (which
>>> wouldn't be easy, anyway), but suffice to say that most every scene
>>> feels crisp, original, and engaging throughout. Well recommended.
>>
>> At least it wasn't a slasher film. It's a revenge film that could have
>> been called I Spit On Your PhD. I wanted a little more intensity, but
>> it wasn't a waste of time.
>>

> I found myself slowly being drawn into it and watched with interest to
> the end but...  Look, I love a good revenge plot. Count of Monte Cristo,
> Death Wish, even Hamlet is a pretty good tale. But much as I really
> really liked meeting Carey Mulligan whom I hope to see someday in better
> things, and much as I applaud the ... um ... examination of fratboy
> culture, I really felt dirty watching this movie. It just didn't work
> for me.  I wouldn't recommend this one to anybody and to say more would
> give too much away.

"Meeting"? Surprised you didn't see DRIVE or GATSBY.

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<bvqdnZapS9vwGZX8nZ2dnUU7-fnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5452&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5452

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: billande...@yahoo.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 18:49:01 -0500
 by: Bill Anderson - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 23:49 UTC

On 8/2/2021 8:42 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 8/1/2021 11:42 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
>>>
>>> At least it wasn't a slasher film. It's a revenge film that could
>>> have been called I Spit On Your PhD. I wanted a little more
>>> intensity, but it wasn't a waste of time.
>>>

>> I found myself slowly being drawn into it and watched with interest to
>> the end but...  Look, I love a good revenge plot. Count of Monte
>> Cristo, Death Wish, even Hamlet is a pretty good tale. But much as I
>> really really liked meeting Carey Mulligan whom I hope to see someday
>> in better things, and much as I applaud the ... um ... examination of
>> fratboy culture, I really felt dirty watching this movie. It just
>> didn't work for me.  I wouldn't recommend this one to anybody and to
>> say more would give too much away.
>
> "Meeting"?  Surprised you didn't see DRIVE or GATSBY.

You know me -- always full of surprises. I think I tried to watch Leo's
Gatsby. Or maybe I watched the whole thing and now I remember almost
nothing. It's a terrific book, though.

The more I've thought about this one the less I like it. With the
exception of a few peripheral characters like the coffee shop owner and
the parents, everybody in this movie behaved abominably and I have to
wonder what the movie wanted from me? To take pleasure in or even
identify with anything I saw? To find catharsis is something? What would
that be? It was just one character after another either doing the wrong
thing or failing to do the right thing. And don't get me started on the
perfectly timed manipulations from beyond the grave or the boy band fan
who had to be exactly where she was at exactly the right time and behave
exactly as the script required. This story was absurd, but events like
the one that set this story in motion are real and they are detestable
and perpetrators get appointed to the Supreme Court. We live in that
world. This movie, though, offered no insights, no hope, for what might
actually be done to change things. It was a sordid tale and yeah, I felt
soiled by it.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)

<KlbOI.102678$Vv6.50829@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5456&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5456

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 09:17:29 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 13:17 UTC

On 8/2/2021 7:49 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On 8/2/2021 8:42 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> I found myself slowly being drawn into it and watched with interest
>>> to the end but...  Look, I love a good revenge plot. Count of Monte
>>> Cristo, Death Wish, even Hamlet is a pretty good tale. But much as I
>>> really really liked meeting Carey Mulligan whom I hope to see someday
>>> in better things, and much as I applaud the ... um ... examination of
>>> fratboy culture, I really felt dirty watching this movie. It just
>>> didn't work for me.  I wouldn't recommend this one to anybody and to
>>> say more would give too much away.
>>
>> "Meeting"?  Surprised you didn't see DRIVE or GATSBY.
>>

> You know me -- always full of surprises. I think I tried to watch Leo's
> Gatsby. Or maybe I watched the whole thing and now I remember almost
> nothing. It's a terrific book, though.
>
> The more I've thought about this one the less I like it. With the
> exception of a few peripheral characters like the coffee shop owner and
> the parents, everybody in this movie behaved abominably and I have to
> wonder what the movie wanted from me? To take pleasure in or even
> identify with anything I saw? To find catharsis is something? What would
> that be? It was just one character after another either doing the wrong
> thing or failing to do the right thing. And don't get me started on the
> perfectly timed manipulations from beyond the grave or the boy band fan
> who had to be exactly where she was at exactly the right time and behave
> exactly as the script required. This story was absurd, but events like
> the one that set this story in motion are real and they are detestable
> and perpetrators get appointed to the Supreme Court. We live in that
> world. This movie, though, offered no insights, no hope, for what might
> actually be done to change things. It was a sordid tale and yeah, I felt
> soiled by it.

There may be two viewers within each of us: one who seeks form, and one
who seeks content. And much of what I liked about PYW was the former,
as it kept me engaged and off-balance. But, yeah, though I can't say I
felt 'soiled', I admit the latter viewer would've liked more of a point.

(Still, https://www.quotemaster.org/images/q/14159/1415958/i1.png )

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (no spoilers)