From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: The Suicide Squad: Over The Top But Entertaining
Date: 6 Aug 2021 06:14:18 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 06:14 UTC

The new SS flick fully earns it's "R" rating and is a gory, entertaining,
romp. Once again Margot Robbie's "Harley Quinn" steals the show from
ostensible lead Idris Elba (though he is fine). The plot begins with
a series of directorial fake-outs setting the Squad down in the fictional
South American island nation of Corto Maltese where they must deal with
an alien menace and save the US from embarassment. There is plenty of
humor, though much of it is pitch-black in hue, and action to match.
I could do without a bit of the America bashing (though granted Amanda
Waller is part of the US government in the DC Universe), and some of the
dialogue wasn't pitched for these middle-aged ears, but recommended.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: The Suicide Squad: Over The Top But Entertaining

<utlQI.13210$Thb4.4531@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5523&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5523

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 22:26:34 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 02:26 UTC

On 8/6/2021 2:14 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> The new SS flick fully earns it's "R" rating and is a gory, entertaining,
> romp. Once again Margot Robbie's "Harley Quinn" steals the show from
> ostensible lead Idris Elba (though he is fine). The plot begins with
> a series of directorial fake-outs setting the Squad down in the fictional
> South American island nation of Corto Maltese where they must deal with
> an alien menace and save the US from embarassment. There is plenty of
> humor, though much of it is pitch-black in hue, and action to match.
> I could do without a bit of the America bashing (though granted Amanda
> Waller is part of the US government in the DC Universe), and some of the
> dialogue wasn't pitched for these middle-aged ears, but recommended.

The visuals took me back to when I watched James Gunn's first movie
SLITHER and disliked it intensely because it seemed more tacky than
scary. Only later did it dawn that it was an artful sendup -- a fact
that was somehow NOT lost on any other horror fan I've spoken with.

Re: The Suicide Squad: Over The Top But Entertaining

<inebqiFspccU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5524&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5524

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: 10 Aug 2021 03:58:10 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 03:58 UTC

In article <utlQI.13210$Thb4.4531@fx35.iad>,
moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com> wrote:
>On 8/6/2021 2:14 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> The new SS flick fully earns it's "R" rating and is a gory, entertaining,
>> romp. Once again Margot Robbie's "Harley Quinn" steals the show from
>> ostensible lead Idris Elba (though he is fine). The plot begins with
>> a series of directorial fake-outs setting the Squad down in the fictional
>> South American island nation of Corto Maltese where they must deal with
>> an alien menace and save the US from embarassment. There is plenty of
>> humor, though much of it is pitch-black in hue, and action to match.
>> I could do without a bit of the America bashing (though granted Amanda
>> Waller is part of the US government in the DC Universe), and some of the
>> dialogue wasn't pitched for these middle-aged ears, but recommended.
>
>The visuals took me back to when I watched James Gunn's first movie
>SLITHER and disliked it intensely because it seemed more tacky than
>scary. Only later did it dawn that it was an artful sendup -- a fact
>that was somehow NOT lost on any other horror fan I've spoken with.

I run hot & cold on horror and never saw that one. Although it seems
a lot of horror movies are sendups.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: The Suicide Squad: Over The Top But Entertaining

<seukfd$1vpi$11@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5526&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5526

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 14:36:12 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 19:36 UTC

On 8/9/2021 9:26 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 8/6/2021 2:14 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> The new SS flick fully earns it's "R" rating and is a gory, entertaining,
>> romp.  Once again Margot Robbie's "Harley Quinn" steals the show from
>> ostensible lead Idris Elba (though he is fine).  The plot begins with
>> a series of directorial fake-outs setting the Squad down in the fictional
>> South American island nation of Corto Maltese where they must deal with
>> an alien menace and save the US from embarassment.  There is plenty of
>> humor, though much of it is pitch-black in hue, and action to match.
>> I could do without a bit of the America bashing (though granted Amanda
>> Waller is part of the US government in the DC Universe), and some of the
>> dialogue wasn't pitched for these middle-aged ears, but recommended.
>
> The visuals took me back to when I watched James Gunn's first movie
> SLITHER and disliked it intensely because it seemed more tacky than
> scary.  Only later did it dawn that it was an artful sendup -- a fact
> that was somehow NOT lost on any other horror fan I've spoken with.

Slither was interesting because it appeared semi-serious while being
tongue and cheek at the exact time. I do agree it's easy to misconstrue.