Chicken Little was right.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.

SubjectAuthor
* I don't really get this Super 7 thing.Travoltron
+- Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.No One In Particular
`* Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.Zobovor
 +* Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.Irrellius Spamticon
 |`* Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.Travoltron
 | `* Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.Zobovor
 |  `- Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.Travoltron
 `- Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.Evil King Macrocranios

1
I don't really get this Super 7 thing.

<stshqg$d7f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5456&group=alt.toys.transformers#5456

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 17:42:36 -0800
 by: Travoltron - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 01:42 UTC

I never bought any of their Transformers figures. They're way too
expensive for what they are.

But the other day at Target I saw Super 7 G.I. Joes. Now, what is the
damn point of those? The real Hasbro GI Joes are the same size and a lot
cheaper and better.

Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.

<stsoj5$98k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5457&group=alt.toys.transformers#5457

From: briancan...@yahoo.com (No One In Particular)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 21:38:13 -0600
 by: No One In Particular - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 03:38 UTC

On 2/7/2022 7:42 PM, Travoltron wrote:
> I never bought any of their Transformers figures. They're way too
> expensive for what they are.
>
> But the other day at Target I saw Super 7 G.I. Joes. Now, what is the
> damn point of those? The real Hasbro GI Joes are the same size and a lot
> cheaper and better.

I don't either. Just don't see the point. But I'm glad they exist for
them as likes 'em I suppose.

Brian

Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.

<e8585a6e-96cd-4cbe-86f0-5c3014b2e5d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5458&group=alt.toys.transformers#5458

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 20:11:52 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 04:11 UTC

On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 6:42:42 PM UTC-7, Travoltron wrote:
> But the other day at Target I saw Super 7 G.I. Joes. Now, what is the
> damn point of those? The real Hasbro GI Joes are the same size and a lot
> cheaper and better.

So, the ReAction figures were kind of cute at first. Movies that never got toys were finally getting toys (Back to the Future, Aliens, etc.) and it was done in a kitschy 1970's style, like the vintage Star Wars toys.

Then Super7 started acquiring more and more licenses and now they're doing 3.75" action figure versions of Masters of the Universe characters and Ninja Turtles and Transformers and it feels like they're missing the point. All of these characters have been represented in action figure form already, and the new editions are smaller and less awesome than their original counterparts.

G.I. Joe makes a hell of a lot less sense to me since it was ALREADY A 3.75" ACTION FIGURE LINE to begin with. What are they going to do next, Star Wars?

Of course, I don't understand the appeal of Funko Pop figures, either. To me, the giant heads and beady eyes ruin every single sculpt. I take my action figures very seriously. Stuff like that makes me feel like I'm seriously out of touch. But then I remember that Super7 also makes stuff like the amazingly awesome TMNT Ultimates, and then I feel okay again.

Zob (got a vintage Turtle Blimp on eBay and making some repairs to it tonight)

Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.

<f51cbcec-6055-442c-a7e6-6f9899d8f7e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5459&group=alt.toys.transformers#5459

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 07:28:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 15:28 UTC

On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 10:11:53 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 6:42:42 PM UTC-7, Travoltron wrote:
>
> > But the other day at Target I saw Super 7 G.I. Joes. Now, what is the
> > damn point of those? The real Hasbro GI Joes are the same size and a lot
> > cheaper and better.
> So, the ReAction figures were kind of cute at first. Movies that never got toys were finally getting toys (Back to the Future, Aliens, etc.) and it was done in a kitschy 1970's style, like the vintage Star Wars toys.

Stranger Things could be there for a decade. Some of the toys look awful.

> Then Super7 started acquiring more and more licenses and now they're doing 3.75" action figure versions of Masters of the Universe characters and Ninja Turtles and Transformers and it feels like they're missing the point. All of these characters have been represented in action figure form already, and the new editions are smaller and less awesome than their original counterparts.
>
> G.I. Joe makes a hell of a lot less sense to me since it was ALREADY A 3.75" ACTION FIGURE LINE to begin with. What are they going to do next, Star Wars?

so....is it losing the knees and elbows? I really don't understand. There were tons of 3.75 Joes, is Super 7 doing characters that somehow got missed originally? Is that possible?

> Of course, I don't understand the appeal of Funko Pop figures, either. To me, the giant heads and beady eyes ruin every single sculpt. I take my action figures very seriously. Stuff like that makes me feel like I'm seriously out of touch. But then I remember that Super7 also makes stuff like the amazingly awesome TMNT Ultimates, and then I feel okay again.

THANK YOU!! I tell so many peope that Pops suck. But people obsess over them. On a positive note they don't have any accessories to lose, and they sell fast in a shop. but the box it comes in is worth more than the figure, sometimes to the tune of hundreds of dollars!

I own one Funko pop figure, it was a gift from a relative at Christmas and it's a Wampa. I haven't decided if I'm keeping it or giving it to my girlfriend, as regifting can be rude.

> Zob (got a vintage Turtle Blimp on eBay and making some repairs to it tonight)

Just wait Super 7 will get the rights to M.A.S.K or Dino Riders and make figures but no vehicles/dinosaurs. That's how far I expect Super 7 to miss the mark.

Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.

<stv70k$6q3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5463&group=alt.toys.transformers#5463

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 17:56:31 -0800
 by: Travoltron - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 01:56 UTC

On 2/8/2022 7:28 AM, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:
> so....is it losing the knees and elbows? I really don't understand. There were tons of 3.75 Joes, is Super 7 doing characters that somehow got missed originally? Is that possible?

I saw a Cobra Commander figure on the shelf and was initially excited as
I haven't seen (Hasbro's) GI Joe on the shelves recently. Then I took a
closer look and saw what it actually was.

I didn't pay any attention after that. I think they were just the
standard main characters.

The only Super 7 figures I have are some loose Back to the Future and
Karate kid figures I got cheap in a trade.

The only ones I seriously considered buying were the Star Trek ones, but
passed.

Playmates toys has announced a new slate of action figures (Wrath of
Khan, Next Generation, Discovery). Does anyone know if they'll be in
scale with the old ones?

Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.

<66a24c46-5370-46a1-a162-0c055c42ffb5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5467&group=alt.toys.transformers#5467

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:15:03 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 19:15 UTC

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 6:56:40 PM UTC-7, Travoltron wrote:

> Playmates toys has announced a new slate of action figures (Wrath of
> Khan, Next Generation, Discovery). Does anyone know if they'll be in
> scale with the old ones?

They're supposed to be five inches tall, which would put them in scale with the figures from the 1990's. I seriously wonder if they'll sell, though. Star Trek merchandise seems to be all but dead these days. People are unloading their old Playmates toys for pennies on the dollar on eBay.

Zob (got an electronic combadge for like five bucks recently, still in the box)

Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.

<su6ens$170$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5468&group=alt.toys.transformers#5468

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:51:58 -0800
 by: Travoltron - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 19:51 UTC

On 2/11/2022 11:15 AM, Zobovor wrote:
> People are unloading their old Playmates toys for pennies on the dollar on eBay.

Ah geez, maybe I should check it out. There were a lot of vintage figs I
missed like Khan and Generations Chekov.
It's just that when I go to eBay I end up spending like crazy.

Re: I don't really get this Super 7 thing.

<385908ae-e4db-4bf2-aebf-0b19be2569aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5481&group=alt.toys.transformers#5481

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 13:42:24 -0800 (PST)
From: evil.kin...@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 21:42 UTC

On Monday, February 7, 2022 at 8:11:53 PM UTC-8, Zobovor wrote:

> G.I. Joe makes a hell of a lot less sense to me since it was ALREADY A 3.75" ACTION FIGURE LINE to begin with. What are they going to do next, Star Wars?

I would bet money that no one who worked to bring this idea to market remembers how much of a leap forward Joe was in '82 with improved articulation and lots of accessories and how much it completely overshadowed most 3 3/4 lines of the day. It picked up where Micronauts had left off in '80. That was the whole attraction-they were superior technology to the dominant Star Wars style. Star Wars effectively set the action figure industry back 10 years with its crappy 5 points of articulation and no forward development in action figure technology.

I understand that neo retro is big right now and everything old is new again and all that. But going 5 poa with a GI Joe line feels like a big fuck you to all the collectors with Very Legitimate Reasons for buying what they buy. (However, the Arctic Rescue Vehicle with the dog sled and glow-in-the-dark Snake Eyes is one of the greatest GI Joe sets ever. https://dorksidetoys.com/products/super7-reaction-g-i-joe-arctic-rescue-vehicle-pack-pre-order)