The opossum is a very sophisticated animal. It doesn't even get up until 5 or 6 PM.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?

SubjectAuthor
* What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?Evil King Macrocranios
+- Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?Irrellius Spamticon
`* Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?Zobovor
 +- Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?Irrellius Spamticon
 `- Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?Gustavo Wombat

1
What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?

<6042b437-7083-4f09-985b-ed7404464618n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5511&group=alt.toys.transformers#5511

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 00:07:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?
From: evil.kin...@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 08:07 UTC

Rumors are swirling of an upcoming fully transformable Lego Optimus Prime, possibly from Rise of the Beasts.

Seeing what Lego has done with Star Wars, can they be expected to do the same with Transformers? Will Lego give the license a Star Wars level of iconic moments captured in bricks treatment? Or will they just do a couple figures and move on?

Does the Transformers even have any iconic moments the public at large would want to recreate in Lego?

And didn't Kre-O do this already?

Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?

<d2db651b-74f9-4670-b2c8-9f3c95d89b83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5514&group=alt.toys.transformers#5514

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 05:52:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 13:52 UTC

On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 2:07:43 AM UTC-6, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:
> Rumors are swirling of an upcoming fully transformable Lego Optimus Prime, possibly from Rise of the Beasts.
>
> Seeing what Lego has done with Star Wars, can they be expected to do the same with Transformers? Will Lego give the license a Star Wars level of iconic moments captured in bricks treatment? Or will they just do a couple figures and move on?
>
> Does the Transformers even have any iconic moments the public at large would want to recreate in Lego?
>
> And didn't Kre-O do this already?
The rumor is the Lego Optimus won't have to disassemble to transform.

Lego has always been the brick king. Their patents aren't on the bricks, but on the specific tolerances of the bricks, making them hold together the best. Mega Bloks have a reputation of falling apart while standing still, and needing glue that Lego doesn't necessarily need just to maintain displays in stores. In my opinion Kreo is better than Mega Blox (Or Mega Construx) in some ways, but we saw white stress marks very easily in Kreo.

I still have my Kreo sets. They weren't bad, they were just simply by the standards of the Lego Optimus pictures circulating.

Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?

<cd5f9e7a-e828-467e-b358-8299312262e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5519&group=alt.toys.transformers#5519

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 13:05:54 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 21:05 UTC

On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 1:07:43 AM UTC-7, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:
> Does the Transformers even have any iconic moments the public at large would want to recreate in Lego?

What LEGO seems to like to do is a) promote films that are currently in theaters and b) select moments from those films. So, it's probably too late now to do tie-ins for Rise of the Beasts, but I think we can expect to see LEGO sets based on Transformers 9 and Transformers 10, or whatever the hell number we're on now.

Also, it looks like the Transformers sets may be a bit different in that the model set itself is the Transformers character. So it won't be like the Age of Ultron sets or the Harry Potter sets where you have a bunch of mini-figures based on the film characters and then the actual LEGO bricks build you a vehicle or a setting from the movies.

So, I think we're more likely to see iconic characters before we see iconic moments. We'll most likely get Optimus Prime and Megatron and Bumblebee and maybe Starscream, all from the films. One day it would be great if they would do some G1-based characters as well, but I guess we'll see.

Zob (still have all my Built to Rule sets)

Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?

<6b24a927-3429-4edf-adb8-7665487b1921n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5524&group=alt.toys.transformers#5524

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 05:45:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 13:45 UTC

On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 3:05:56 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 1:07:43 AM UTC-7, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Does the Transformers even have any iconic moments the public at large would want to recreate in Lego?
> What LEGO seems to like to do is a) promote films that are currently in theaters and b) select moments from those films. So, it's probably too late now to do tie-ins for Rise of the Beasts, but I think we can expect to see LEGO sets based on Transformers 9 and Transformers 10, or whatever the hell number we're on now.

They have a solid year to come up with rise of the beasts moments, but Lego quite frequently revisits old films. They have an AT-ST and Hoth Trooper pack from Empire Strikes back as their Q2 2022 offering, and had Harry potter bathroom scene for Q1 2022.

> Also, it looks like the Transformers sets may be a bit different in that the model set itself is the Transformers character. So it won't be like the Age of Ultron sets or the Harry Potter sets where you have a bunch of mini-figures based on the film characters and then the actual LEGO bricks build you a vehicle or a setting from the movies.
>
> So, I think we're more likely to see iconic characters before we see iconic moments. We'll most likely get Optimus Prime and Megatron and Bumblebee and maybe Starscream, all from the films. One day it would be great if they would do some G1-based characters as well, but I guess we'll see.

It'd be easy for them to give us the Witwicky house with ratchet and Ironhide hiding outside, or Michela's Garage with Wheelie.
Wouldn't be too far of a stretch for them to give us the Optimus showdown for the movie, or Starscream's Coronation.
If we take Friends or Stranger Things or Scooby Doo as an example, they can just as easily do show moments and give us The Ark, or War of the Dinobots..

> Zob (still have all my Built to Rule sets)

Those were too ugly and not G1 enough for me...

Re: What can Lego do that Kre-O didn't?

<surn0t$frr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5526&group=alt.toys.transformers#5526

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 21:21:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 21:21 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 1:07:43 AM UTC-7, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Does the Transformers even have any iconic moments the public at large
>> would want to recreate in Lego?
>
> What LEGO seems to like to do is a) promote films that are currently in
> theaters and b) select moments from those films. So, it's probably too
> late now to do tie-ins for Rise of the Beasts, but I think we can expect
> to see LEGO sets based on Transformers 9 and Transformers 10, or whatever
> the hell number we're on now.

They tend to go back to the iconic bits of Star Wars all the time, and the
stuff for, say, Scooby Doo seemed to be more about an ancient tv show than
anything current.

I would expect a mix of well known G1 and whatever is current.

> Also, it looks like the Transformers sets may be a bit different in that
> the model set itself is the Transformers character. So it won't be like
> the Age of Ultron sets or the Harry Potter sets where you have a bunch of
> mini-figures based on the film characters and then the actual LEGO bricks
> build you a vehicle or a setting from the movies.
>
> So, I think we're more likely to see iconic characters before we see
> iconic moments. We'll most likely get Optimus Prime and Megatron and
> Bumblebee and maybe Starscream, all from the films. One day it would be
> great if they would do some G1-based characters as well, but I guess we'll see.

Agreed that it will focus on characters. There might be some accessories
with the characters, but mostly characters. If Optimus Primal shouts “And
now it’s time for a palm tree enema” in the movie (Is Michael Bay still
involved?) he might come with a palm tree, etc. But the star of the set
will be the character.

I would be hard pressed to tell Bumblebee movie Optimus from G1 when
simplified down to Lego bricks.

> Zob (still have all my Built to Rule sets)

Oof. Those looked awful.