Who does not trust enough will not be trusted. -- Lao Tsu

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won't modernize it

SubjectAuthor
* The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won't modernize itEvil King Macrocranios
+- Re: The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won'tMarshall
`* Re: The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won'tZobovor
 `- Re: The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won'tGustavo Wombat

1
The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won't modernize it

<9aa428ef-ca23-4ebb-ad88-d7143c11fe0fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5516&group=alt.toys.transformers#5516

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 07:16:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won't modernize it
From: evil.kin...@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:16 UTC

Hasbro tends to reintroduce retro concepts and then not be content to limiting the scope of their implementation. Like when they brought back retro Kenner style packaging to Star Wars with the Vintage Collection and then applied it to characters and movies Kenner never did, like Darth Maul on a Phantom Menace card in the Kenner style. And they brought back 5 point of articulation figures and did it to modern characters.

Well they're at it again but this time with G.I. Joe. They're bringing back the O-Ring construction that they used throughout the Real American Hero line starting in 82 and the scuttlebut is that they're going to go big with it. I imagine they will do a ton of reissue style O-ring figures and then do as they always do and go overboard applying o-ring construction to characters that never originally were released that way. I think the Skystriker Haslab actually comes with a couple of O-ring figures never before released. So I expect they'll go crazy with it if it sells although I can't think of any modern GI Joe characters with no O-ring equivalents. But I'm sure they exist and Hasbro is ready.

I was wondering what design characteristic the G1 line had that parallels vintage 5 POA Star Wars and O-ring Joes. Hasbro has sprinkled aspects of G1 like rubsigns and retro packaging and full on reissues throughout the modern era. But what mechanically made G1 unique that they just don't do anymore? It's gotta be the combination of clear plastic, stickers, chrome, and rubber tires.

It can't be quantified as easily as 5 POA and O-ring, but that would be the TF retro design combo that would be interesting to see applied to modern characters. I just doubt Hasbro will ever bring that stuff back for TFs because of the expense and lack of demand for it. But if they ever did that's how I would know they really love me.

Re: The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won't modernize it

<c1401e1a-7356-4f46-a2b0-9402666b0821n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5517&group=alt.toys.transformers#5517

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 09:00:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won't
modernize it
From: dpdli...@gmail.com (Marshall)
 by: Marshall - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 17:00 UTC

On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 10:16:58 AM UTC-5, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hasbro tends to reintroduce retro concepts and then not be content to limiting the scope of their implementation. Like when they brought back retro Kenner style packaging to Star Wars with the Vintage Collection and then applied it to characters and movies Kenner never did, like Darth Maul on a Phantom Menace card in the Kenner style. And they brought back 5 point of articulation figures and did it to modern characters.
>
> Well they're at it again but this time with G.I. Joe. They're bringing back the O-Ring construction that they used throughout the Real American Hero line starting in 82 and the scuttlebut is that they're going to go big with it. I imagine they will do a ton of reissue style O-ring figures and then do as they always do and go overboard applying o-ring construction to characters that never originally were released that way. I think the Skystriker Haslab actually comes with a couple of O-ring figures never before released. So I expect they'll go crazy with it if it sells although I can't think of any modern GI Joe characters with no O-ring equivalents. But I'm sure they exist and Hasbro is ready.
>
> I was wondering what design characteristic the G1 line had that parallels vintage 5 POA Star Wars and O-ring Joes. Hasbro has sprinkled aspects of G1 like rubsigns and retro packaging and full on reissues throughout the modern era. But what mechanically made G1 unique that they just don't do anymore? It's gotta be the combination of clear plastic, stickers, chrome, and rubber tires.
>
> It can't be quantified as easily as 5 POA and O-ring, but that would be the TF retro design combo that would be interesting to see applied to modern characters. I just doubt Hasbro will ever bring that stuff back for TFs because of the expense and lack of demand for it. But if they ever did that's how I would know they really love me.

Die-cast. It'll never happen

Re: The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won't modernize it

<568a4488-945e-4f4f-923b-8e0c1f729a81n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5521&group=alt.toys.transformers#5521

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:55:34 -0800 (PST)
modernize it
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 00:55 UTC

On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 8:16:58 AM UTC-7, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hasbro tends to reintroduce retro concepts and then not be content to limiting the scope of their implementation. Like when they brought back retro Kenner style packaging to Star Wars with the Vintage Collection and then applied it to characters and movies Kenner never did, like Darth Maul on a Phantom Menace card in the Kenner style. And they brought back 5 point of articulation figures and did it to modern characters.

The collecting community's response to this was so weird. When Hasbro was selling action figures with five points of articulation to cut costs, everybody was furiously up in arms about it, despite the fact that we'd gotten it for pretty much all of the Power of the Force 2 toy line that dominated the 1990's. Go retro chic and make Mandalorian toys in the style of old Kenner figures, though, and people go gaga for it. I can't figure people out at all.
> So I expect they'll go crazy with it if it sells although I can't think of any modern GI Joe characters with no O-ring equivalents.

I just want an action figure of mutated Cobra Commander from G.I. Joe: the Movie. I don't care what scale it is or whether it's got an O-ring or a P-Wing or an Avenue Q or any of that.

> I was wondering what design characteristic the G1 line had that parallels vintage 5 POA Star Wars and O-ring Joes. Hasbro has sprinkled aspects of G1 like rubsigns and retro packaging and full on reissues throughout the modern era. But what mechanically made G1 unique that they just don't do anymore? It's gotta be the combination of clear plastic, stickers, chrome, and rubber tires.

They did stickers as recently as Power of the Primes, but they were a) applied at the factory and b) uniformly horrible. And we also got consumer-applied stickers for a while on the modern-era Titan-class toys.

It's hard to say what true vintage-styled Transformers would look like. I mean, the new Masters of the Universe Origins toys are sculpted to resemble the vintage 1980's toys, so they're similar in appearance, but they have modern articulation with poseable knees and elbows and wrists and ankles. Which, frankly, I love to death. The little boy in me loves the retro appeal but the adult collector in me really likes the modernization. It's a tricky tightrope, but Mattel is managing it beautifully. They even kept most of the original play patterns (i.e., He-Man and Skeletor's sword halves can still fit together; Man-E-Faces still has the rotating faces gimmick; Roboto still has the gears in his chest; etc. The only think they skimped out on was the power punch that all the original toys had, where you twisted them at the waist and they sprang back.)

Super7 is doing the same thing with the Ninja Turtles Ultimates. They're sculpted to resemble the Playmates toys that kids grew up on, but they're larger (so they fit in adult hands the same way the old toys fit in a kid's hands!) and, like the He-Man toys, they also have improved articulation. It's not as much of a lovingly faithful recreation, but more of a "What If?" exercise; i.e., what if the vintage toys were bigger and better with more paint apps? So it still tickles me, even if it's less faithful to what we got before. Where Super7 has failed is that a lot of their early attempts fail at replicating the play pattern, so there are accessories that no longer interact with the action figures the way they were originally intended.

So, I think a true vintage attempt at Transformers would essentially be the G1 toys, perhaps upscaled, with the same styling and transformations, but with added articulation so that they weren't bricks in robot mode. The original transformation is, I think, an important part of the play pattern. But, I'm not sure how to reconcile that with stupid design decisions like making Optimus Prime's and Starscream's fists pop off. Make too many changes, and then you're just doing neo-G1 again.

So I think what we would need to see is a line of Transformers toys designed in a retro-G1 style, but of characters who never got vintage toys. So, basically, G1 toys of Unicron and Arcee and Devcon and Allicons and Straxus and Xaaron and all those guys. Limited articulation, upper legs that slide into the lower legs, stickers, die-cast, chome parts, the works. Toys that look like they would fit in perfectly in an authentic G1 collection. That's what they would need to do.

Zob (it'll also never happen)

Re: The TF equivalent of O-ring GI Joes and why Hasbro won't modernize it

<surng6$lbg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5527&group=alt.toys.transformers#5527

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
modernize it
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 21:29:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 21:29 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 18, 2022 at 8:16:58 AM UTC-7, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hasbro tends to reintroduce retro concepts and then not be content to
>> limiting the scope of their implementation. Like when they brought back
>> retro Kenner style packaging to Star Wars with the Vintage Collection
>> and then applied it to characters and movies Kenner never did, like
>> Darth Maul on a Phantom Menace card in the Kenner style. And they
>> brought back 5 point of articulation figures and did it to modern characters.
>
> The collecting community's response to this was so weird. When Hasbro
> was selling action figures with five points of articulation to cut costs,
> everybody was furiously up in arms about it, despite the fact that we'd
> gotten it for pretty much all of the Power of the Force 2 toy line that
> dominated the 1990's. Go retro chic and make Mandalorian toys in the
> style of old Kenner figures, though, and people go gaga for it. I can't
> figure people out at all.

Ok, I just looked that up and I want it.

It hits the simplified design of the original Kenner figures, which is just
so much more appealing to me than the attempts to capture the actual
likeness that always come up short.

I don’t want a miniature uncanny valley version of the character as seen on
the big screen, I want a toy.

Also, CGI Luke would be so much better if they just modeled him after the
Kenner Action Figure. Maybe even do it with trick photography so it is the
action figure. And had a small child voicing the lines.

No less lifelike.

Damn that thing was creepy.