"Life is like a buffet; it's not good but there's plenty of it."

arts / rec.arts.poems / Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

SubjectAuthor
* Re: William Makepeace ThackerayVictor H.
+* Re: William Makepeace ThackerayVictor H.
|`* Re: William Makepeace ThackerayW.Dockery
| +* Re: William Makepeace ThackerayGeneral-Zod
| |+- Re: William Makepeace ThackerayW.Dockery
| |`- Re: William Makepeace ThackerayW.Dockery
| +- Re: William Makepeace ThackerayVictor H.
| `- Re: William Makepeace ThackerayGeneral-Zod
+* Re: William Makepeace ThackerayW-Dockery
|+- Re: William Makepeace ThackerayVictor H.
|`* Re: William Makepeace ThackerayGeorge J. Dance
| +- Re: William Makepeace ThackerayZod
| `* Re: William Makepeace ThackerayVictor H.
|  `- Re: William Makepeace ThackerayW.Dockery
+- Re: William Makepeace ThackerayW.Dockery
`- Re: William Makepeace ThackerayW-Dockery

1
Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<80a0351c9c203fff08150216b7498856@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4826&group=rec.arts.poems#4826

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 20:59:37 +0000
Subject: Re: William Makepeace Thackeray
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Victor H. - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 20:59 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:
> Danny Bee Barrington wrote:
>
> "1930 southwest corner Broadway and 11th Street the Historical Marker says
> historic building second floor is where a famous English novelist, poet
> William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) slept on his visit to Columbus
> Georgia, made during his American tour. The building now occupied by McCoy
> Grocery Co..."

> No updates on this as of yet.

That is quite fascinating..!

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<744ded039348e3a2c6323af3658a7e09@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4896&group=rec.arts.poems#4896

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 23:12:56 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Victor H. - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 23:12 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:
>> Danny Bee Barrington wrote:
>>
>> "1930 southwest corner Broadway and 11th Street the Historical Marker says
>> historic building second floor is where a famous English novelist, poet
>> William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) slept on his visit to Columbus
>> Georgia, made during his American tour. The building now occupied by McCoy
>> Grocery Co..."

>> No updates on this as of yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.
************

Poems
The Pigtail
The Mahogany Tree (1847)

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<c031910e91a96d4677965ee6d12de2d7@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4912&group=rec.arts.poems#4912

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 16:10:49 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 16:10 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>>> Danny Bee Barrington wrote:
>>>
>>> "1930 southwest corner Broadway and 11th Street the Historical Marker says
>>> historic building second floor is where a famous English novelist, poet
>>> William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) slept on his visit to Columbus
>>> Georgia, made during his American tour. The building now occupied by McCoy
>>> Grocery Co..."

>>> No updates on this as of yet.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

> ************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.
> ************

> Poems
> The Pigtail
> The Mahogany Tree (1847)

Thanks for the research, Zod.

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<e2aff42b50cc2148dc9650cbe1d9c740@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4919&group=rec.arts.poems#4919

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:39:40 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:39 UTC

W.Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

>> ************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.
>> ************

>> Poems
>> The Pigtail
>> The Mahogany Tree (1847)

> Thanks for the research, Zod.

https://mypoeticside.com/poets/william-makepeace-thackeray-poems

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<d4ea31aa3c5a2381d573db9d4089ba68@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4951&group=rec.arts.poems#4951

From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:45:15 +0000
 by: W-Dockery - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:45 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> Danny Bee Barrington wrote:
>>
>> "1930 southwest corner Broadway and 11th Street the Historical Marker says
>> historic building second floor is where a famous English novelist, poet
>> William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) slept on his visit to Columbus
>> Georgia, made during his American tour. The building now occupied by McCoy
>> Grocery Co..."

>> No updates on this as of yet.

> That is quite fascinating..!

Perhaps George Dance can feature one of his poems soon.

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<7f48eb22fd25f96cb3bc3af5f7cbe7a9@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4953&group=rec.arts.poems#4953

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 19:56:58 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Victor H. - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 19:56 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> Will Dockery wrote:
>>> Danny Bee Barrington wrote:
>>>
>>> "1930 southwest corner Broadway and 11th Street the Historical Marker says
>>> historic building second floor is where a famous English novelist, poet
>>> William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) slept on his visit to Columbus
>>> Georgia, made during his American tour. The building now occupied by McCoy
>>> Grocery Co..."

>>> No updates on this as of yet.

>> That is quite fascinating..!

> Perhaps George Dance can feature one of his poems soon.

Cool idea....!

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<td92gv$2tlqc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4957&group=rec.arts.poems#4957

From: georgeda...@yahoo.ca (George J. Dance)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:45:17 -0400
 by: George J. Dance - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 20:45 UTC

On 2022-08-13 2:45 p.m., W-Dockery wrote:
> Zod wrote:
>
>> Will Dockery wrote:
>>> Danny Bee Barrington wrote:
>>>
>>> "1930 southwest corner Broadway and 11th Street the Historical Marker
>>> says historic building second floor is where a famous English
>>> novelist, poet William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) slept on his
>>> visit to Columbus Georgia, made during his American tour. The
>>> building now occupied by McCoy Grocery Co..."

>>> No updates on this as of yet.
>
>> That is quite fascinating..!
>

> Perhaps George Dance can feature one of his poems soon.

I do have one Thackeray poem on the blog, "The Mahogany Tree," which I'm
very happy to have since it's one of the few secular Christmas poems
I've been happy to present. But I'd rather talk about my wiki.

I know some people complain about that as 'self-serving,' but in fact
the wiki is there as a service to everyone. Case in point: this thread.

Zod's done an excellent job of bringing an overlooked poet to attention,
and googling all over the web to find his bio and a selection of his
poetry. That was a lot of work, and I don't want to denigrate it in any
way.

I do want to point out that one doesn't have to do all that work. All
that someone interested in learning more about Thackeray has to do is go
to one site, Penny's Poetry Pages:

https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

There you'll find:

(1) a short bio (from the /Short Biographical Dictionary of English
Literature/)
(2) an in-depth bio, much better than the Wikipedia one (from the 1911
/Britannica/)
(3) a critical assessment of his poetry (from /The English Poets/ series)
(4) 2 pictures of him (a portrait photo and a caricature)
(4) 4 readings of Thackeray poems embedded from YouTube)
(5) links to more than 100 of his poems
(6) links to both his collections of poetry, /Ballads/ and /Complete
Poems/ (and to all his novels as well).

You can find all of this elsewhere on the web, but not in one place;
you'd have to google all over the web for it, like poor Zod (and poor
NG) have been having to do.

I've been trying for years to make PPP into a one-stop site for learning
about poets and poetry, I think it's a superior alternative to searching
through the web for it, and I think it's time to start promoting it more
along with, or even above, the blog.

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<fb61fcf0955963e08539f6d770fae1cf@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4958&group=rec.arts.poems#4958

Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 20:55:12 +0000
From: Zod...@news.novabbs.com (Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Zod - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 20:55 UTC

George J. Dance wrote:

> On 2022-08-13 2:45 p.m., W-Dockery wrote:
>> Zod wrote:

>>> That is quite fascinating..!
>>

>> Perhaps George Dance can feature one of his poems soon.

> I do have one Thackeray poem on the blog, "The Mahogany Tree," which I'm
> very happy to have since it's one of the few secular Christmas poems
> I've been happy to present. But I'd rather talk about my wiki.

> I know some people complain about that as 'self-serving,' but in fact
> the wiki is there as a service to everyone. Case in point: this thread.

> Zod's done an excellent job of bringing an overlooked poet to attention,
> and googling all over the web to find his bio and a selection of his
> poetry. That was a lot of work, and I don't want to denigrate it in any
> way.

> I do want to point out that one doesn't have to do all that work. All
> that someone interested in learning more about Thackeray has to do is go
> to one site, Penny's Poetry Pages:

> https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

> There you'll find:

> (1) a short bio (from the /Short Biographical Dictionary of English
> Literature/)
> (2) an in-depth bio, much better than the Wikipedia one (from the 1911
> /Britannica/)
> (3) a critical assessment of his poetry (from /The English Poets/ series)
> (4) 2 pictures of him (a portrait photo and a caricature)
> (4) 4 readings of Thackeray poems embedded from YouTube)
> (5) links to more than 100 of his poems
> (6) links to both his collections of poetry, /Ballads/ and /Complete
> Poems/ (and to all his novels as well).

> You can find all of this elsewhere on the web, but not in one place;
> you'd have to google all over the web for it, like poor Zod (and poor
> NG) have been having to do.

> I've been trying for years to make PPP into a one-stop site for learning
> about poets and poetry, I think it's a superior alternative to searching
> through the web for it, and I think it's time to start promoting it more
> along with, or even above, the blog.

Hi G.D.

Completely agreed....!

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<098c6757996f022275366837c3945712@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5054&group=rec.arts.poems#5054

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 20:22:35 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Victor H. - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 20:22 UTC

Again, I thank....

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<aafaf60fb5f0368c92fcb3e5cdce7ee2@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5154&group=rec.arts.poems#5154

Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 15:00:13 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 15:00 UTC

Seconded.

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<db429b9634a8f1aa8cd0dafffbf71ff1@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5270&group=rec.arts.poems#5270

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 16:37:27 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 16:37 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> Danny Bee Barrington wrote:
>>
>> "1930 southwest corner Broadway and 11th Street the Historical Marker says
>> historic building second floor is where a famous English novelist, poet
>> William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) slept on his visit to Columbus
>> Georgia, made during his American tour. The building now occupied by McCoy
>> Grocery Co..."

>> No updates on this as of yet.

> That is quite fascinating..!

This is all I know at this time about the visit to Columbus Georgia made by W.M.T.

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<a91e4c138df16e4b0f9b0670bc92ea22@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5314&group=rec.arts.poems#5314

Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 19:28:22 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 19:28 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> W.Dockery wrote:

>> Zod wrote:

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

>>> ************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.
>>> ************

>>> Poems
>>> The Pigtail
>>> The Mahogany Tree (1847)

>> Thanks for the research, Zod.

> https://mypoeticside.com/poets/william-makepeace-thackeray-poems

I see that W.M.T. wasn't very pleased with his tour of Georgia.

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<e43654febf943d0ced26a4179c347a1d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5355&group=rec.arts.poems#5355

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 01:50:39 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W-Dockery - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 01:50 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> Danny Bee Barrington wrote:
>>
>> "1930 southwest corner Broadway and 11th Street the Historical Marker says
>> historic building second floor is where a famous English novelist, poet
>> William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863) slept on his visit to Columbus
>> Georgia, made during his American tour. The building now occupied by McCoy
>> Grocery Co..."

>> No updates on this as of yet.

> That is quite fascinating..!

Agreed.

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<21689002e25ad330b477d9b0b66ff0f7@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5374&group=rec.arts.poems#5374

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 10:44:01 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 10:44 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> W.Dockery wrote:

>> Zod wrote:

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

>>> ************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.
>>> ************

>>> Poems
>>> The Pigtail
>>> The Mahogany Tree (1847)

>> Thanks for the research, Zod.

> https://mypoeticside.com/poets/william-makepeace-thackeray-poems

Interesting guy, thanks.

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<89a6dc25858518bfe20e5c31ece39360@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5536&group=rec.arts.poems#5536

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 19:41:29 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: Victor H. - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 19:41 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

>> ************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.
>> ************

>> Poems
>> The Pigtail
>> The Mahogany Tree (1847)

> Thanks for the research, Zod.

Bein the poetry fan I am it was a great pleasure...

Re: William Makepeace Thackeray

<aed7d71cac5135bf939e7f6eda080a6c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=11622&group=rec.arts.poems#11622

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:35:42 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:35 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Zod wrote:

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

>> ************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.

>> Poems
>> The Pigtail
>> The Mahogany Tree (1847)

> Thanks for the research, Zod.