The wise shepherd never trusts his flock to a smiling wolf.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / "Twentieth Century Studios"?

SubjectAuthor
* "Twentieth Century Studios"?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?Your Name
|`* Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| `* Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?Your Name
|  `* Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|   +- Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?moviePig
|   `- Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?Your Name
`* Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?Adam H. Kerman
 `* Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?super70s
  `- Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?Adam H. Kerman

1
"Twentieth Century Studios"?

<inrkmnFklsqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5547&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5547

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: "Twentieth Century Studios"?
Date: 15 Aug 2021 04:49:27 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 04:49 UTC

Just saw "Free Guy" (it was decent, but not spectacular).

Anyway, during the opening credits, the Twentieth Century Fox searchlight platform
came up, accompanied by the Twentieth Century Fox fanfare, but the lettering
under the searchlights was "Twentieth Century Studios".

What's up with that?
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?

<sfa9m4$lb9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5548&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5548

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 17:45:40 +1200
 by: Your Name - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 05:45 UTC

On 2021-08-15 04:49:27 +0000, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:

> Just saw "Free Guy" (it was decent, but not spectacular).
>
> Anyway, during the opening credits, the Twentieth Century Fox
> searchlight platform came up, accompanied by the Twentieth Century Fox
> fanfare, but the lettering under the searchlights was "Twentieth
> Century Studios".
>
> What's up with that?

Because it's now owned by Disney who changed the name a year ago,
supposedly to avoid confusion, but realistically just to wield / prove
their power.

Disney ends the historic 20th Century Fox brand
<https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53747270>

Similarly Pixar got renamed as "Disney-Pixar".

The amazing thing is that Disney hasn't changed the names of any of the
ex-Lucas empire it bought ... yet!

Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?

<inrokoFleq6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5549&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5549

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: 15 Aug 2021 05:56:40 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 05:56 UTC

In article <sfa9m4$lb9$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>On 2021-08-15 04:49:27 +0000, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:
>>
>> Just saw "Free Guy" (it was decent, but not spectacular).
>>
>> Anyway, during the opening credits, the Twentieth Century Fox
>> searchlight platform came up, accompanied by the Twentieth Century Fox
>> fanfare, but the lettering under the searchlights was "Twentieth
>> Century Studios".
>>
>> What's up with that?
>
>Because it's now owned by Disney who changed the name a year ago,
>supposedly to avoid confusion, but realistically just to wield / prove
>their power.
>
> Disney ends the historic 20th Century Fox brand
> <https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53747270>
>
>Similarly Pixar got renamed as "Disney-Pixar".
>
>The amazing thing is that Disney hasn't changed the names of any of the
>ex-Lucas empire it bought ... yet!

Huh. I figured that the 20CF opening was iconic enough to be a
valuable IP. To buy it and ditch it seems odd.

OTOH, they can now bring it back in the future with great "fanfare".
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?

<sfaf7f$cf5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5550&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5550

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 19:20:15 +1200
 by: Your Name - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 07:20 UTC

On 2021-08-15 05:56:40 +0000, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:

> In article <sfa9m4$lb9$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>> On 2021-08-15 04:49:27 +0000, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:
>>>
>>> Just saw "Free Guy" (it was decent, but not spectacular).
>>>
>>> Anyway, during the opening credits, the Twentieth Century Fox
>>> searchlight platform came up, accompanied by the Twentieth Century Fox
>>> fanfare, but the lettering under the searchlights was "Twentieth
>>> Century Studios".
>>>
>>> What's up with that?
>>
>> Because it's now owned by Disney who changed the name a year ago,
>> supposedly to avoid confusion, but realistically just to wield / prove
>> their power.
>>
>> Disney ends the historic 20th Century Fox brand
>> <https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53747270>
>>
>> Similarly Pixar got renamed as "Disney-Pixar".
>>
>> The amazing thing is that Disney hasn't changed the names of any of the
>> ex-Lucas empire it bought ... yet!
>
> Huh. I figured that the 20CF opening was iconic enough to be a
> valuable IP. To buy it and ditch it seems odd.
>
> OTOH, they can now bring it back in the future with great "fanfare".

"20th Century" is wrong anyway. They should really have changed it to
"21st Century Studios" since it was already "21st Century Fox".

Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?

<inru8pFmi91U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5551&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5551

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: 15 Aug 2021 07:32:41 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 07:32 UTC

In article <sfaf7f$cf5$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>On 2021-08-15 05:56:40 +0000, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:
>
>> In article <sfa9m4$lb9$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> Because it's now owned by Disney who changed the name a year ago,
>>> supposedly to avoid confusion, but realistically just to wield / prove
>>> their power.
>>>
>>> Disney ends the historic 20th Century Fox brand
>>> <https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53747270>
>>>
>>> Similarly Pixar got renamed as "Disney-Pixar".
>>>
>>> The amazing thing is that Disney hasn't changed the names of any of the
>>> ex-Lucas empire it bought ... yet!
>>
>> Huh. I figured that the 20CF opening was iconic enough to be a
>> valuable IP. To buy it and ditch it seems odd.
>>
>> OTOH, they can now bring it back in the future with great "fanfare".
>
>"20th Century" is wrong anyway. They should really have changed it to
>"21st Century Studios" since it was already "21st Century Fox".

My memory is that the Searchlights/Fanfare logo always said "20th Century Fox",
even into the new millennium. (Which I always thought was a missed
opportunity).
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?

<XK8SI.15468$FI.3522@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5552&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5552

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 09:35:50 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:35 UTC

On 8/15/2021 3:32 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <sfaf7f$cf5$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>> On 2021-08-15 05:56:40 +0000, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:

>>> Huh. I figured that the 20CF opening was iconic enough to be a
>>> valuable IP. To buy it and ditch it seems odd.
>>>
>>> OTOH, they can now bring it back in the future with great "fanfare".
>>
>> "20th Century" is wrong anyway. They should really have changed it to
>> "21st Century Studios" since it was already "21st Century Fox".
>>

> My memory is that the Searchlights/Fanfare logo always said "20th Century Fox",
> even into the new millennium. (Which I always thought was a missed
> opportunity).

"20th Century". A time whose idea has gone...

Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?

<sfb5r5$2q0$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5553&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5553

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:46:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:46 UTC

Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:

>Just saw "Free Guy" (it was decent, but not spectacular).

>Anyway, during the opening credits, the Twentieth Century Fox
>searchlight platform
>came up, accompanied by the Twentieth Century Fox fanfare, but the lettering
>under the searchlights was "Twentieth Century Studios".

>What's up with that?

Interesting. William Fox no longer has an important historical legacy
that Disney cares about, or it's unacceptable to have another man's name
on their subsidiary.

Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?

<sfc3c9$6f2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5554&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5554

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:10:17 +1200
 by: Your Name - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 22:10 UTC

On 2021-08-15 07:32:41 +0000, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:

> In article <sfaf7f$cf5$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>> On 2021-08-15 05:56:40 +0000, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan said:

>>> Huh. I figured that the 20CF opening was iconic enough to be a
>>> valuable IP. To buy it and ditch it seems odd.
>>>
>>> OTOH, they can now bring it back in the future with great "fanfare".
>>
>> "20th Century" is wrong anyway. They should really have changed it to
>> "21st Century Studios" since it was already "21st Century Fox".
>
> My memory is that the Searchlights/Fanfare logo always said "20th
> Century Fox", even into the new millennium. (Which I always thought
> was a missed
> opportunity).

It sort-of became "21st Century Fox" in 2013 when the publishing side
was spun-off into a separate company ... but that was the name of the
parent company that owned "Fox Entertainment Group" (TV shows) and
"20th Century Fox" (movies), so they may not have changed the on-screen
fanfare logo.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Century_Studios>

There are (probably fan-made) versions on YouTube though.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhF6-yEOLgo>

Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?

<super70s-01A709.20252115082021@reader02.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5555&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5555

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 20:25:21 -0500
 by: super70s - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 01:25 UTC

In article <sfb5r5$2q0$4@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>
> >Just saw "Free Guy" (it was decent, but not spectacular).
>
> >Anyway, during the opening credits, the Twentieth Century Fox
> >searchlight platform
> >came up, accompanied by the Twentieth Century Fox fanfare, but the
> >lettering under the searchlights was "Twentieth Century Studios".
>
> >What's up with that?
>
> Interesting. William Fox no longer has an important historical legacy
> that Disney cares about, or it's unacceptable to have another man's name
> on their subsidiary.

Also "Fox" has a lot of unwanted baggage now due to the cable news
channel.

Re: "Twentieth Century Studios"?

<sfch5a$spo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5556&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5556

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 02:05:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 02:05 UTC

super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:

>>>Just saw "Free Guy" (it was decent, but not spectacular).

>>>Anyway, during the opening credits, the Twentieth Century Fox
>>>searchlight platform
>>>came up, accompanied by the Twentieth Century Fox fanfare, but the
>>>lettering under the searchlights was "Twentieth Century Studios".

>>>What's up with that?

>>Interesting. William Fox no longer has an important historical legacy
>>that Disney cares about, or it's unacceptable to have another man's name
>>on their subsidiary.

>Also "Fox" has a lot of unwanted baggage now due to the cable news
>channel.

I don't think moviegoers ever associated Fox News with the studio, nor
the television station holdings, nor the gossipy newspapers.

All snark aside, did Murdoch sell use of the Fox brand to Disney?