The chief cause of problems is solutions. -- Eric Sevareid

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: Reminiscence

SubjectAuthor
* Reminiscencetrotsky
+* Re: ReminiscencemoviePig
|+* Re: ReminiscenceYour Name
||`- Re: Reminiscencetrotsky
|`* Re: Reminiscencetrotsky
| `* Re: ReminiscencemoviePig
|  `- Re: ReminiscenceYour Name
`* Re: ReminiscenceNeill Massello
 +* Re: Reminiscencealvey
 |`- Re: Reminiscencetrotsky
 `- Re: Reminiscencetrotsky

1
Reminiscence

<sfq713$j0h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5574&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5574

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Reminiscence
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 01:38:26 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 06:38 UTC

I looked forward to seeing this movie just because of the adverts, as
the Brits might say. Don't believe the hype, as Public Enemy used to
sing. What started off as an interesting, albeit derivative, premise
slowly devolved into a potboiler that I couldn't wait to be over. The
problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which is a
"hero" that spends far much time being an asshole. If the characters
are unappealing you have to make damn sure something in the movie is,
and that sure as hell wasn't happening. I don't know how such movies
get made. The script would have needed multiple revisions for this to
be appealing, and clearly that never happened. Some might like this
simply for Hugh Jackman's performance, that wasn't nearly enough for me.

Re: Reminiscence

<qW9UI.21401$BI2.6851@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5576&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5576

Subject: Re: Reminiscence
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 12:34:28 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 16:34 UTC

On 8/21/2021 2:38 AM, trotsky wrote:
> I looked forward to seeing this movie just because of the adverts, as
> the Brits might say.  Don't believe the hype, as Public Enemy used to
> sing.  What started off as an interesting, albeit derivative, premise
> slowly devolved into a potboiler that I couldn't wait to be over.  The
> problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which is a
> "hero" that spends far much time being an asshole.  If the characters
> are unappealing you have to make damn sure something in the movie is,
> and that sure as hell wasn't happening.  I don't know how such movies
> get made.  The script would have needed multiple revisions for this to
> be appealing, and clearly that never happened.  Some might like this
> simply for Hugh Jackman's performance, that wasn't nearly enough for me.

I can't help wondering: Would *I* release a really good movie right now?

Re: Reminiscence

<sfrt7u$too$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5577&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5577

From: nmasse...@yahoo.com (Neill Massello)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 22:03:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Neill Massello - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 22:03 UTC

On 2021-08-21 at 00:38:26 MDT, "trotsky" <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:

> The
> problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which is a
> "hero" that spends far much time being an asshole.

All across Usenet, the irony meters are pegging.

Re: Reminiscence

<1mxelh7uhx9z4.d6o1duqivmka.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5578&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5578

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 08:18:15 +1000
 by: alvey - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 22:18 UTC

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 22:03:42 -0000 (UTC), Neill Massello wrote:

> On 2021-08-21 at 00:38:26 MDT, "trotsky" <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:
>
>> The
>> problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which is a
>> "hero" that spends far much time being an asshole.
>
> All across Usenet, the irony meters are pegging.

Which interpretation of "pegging" are you using here Neil?

alvey

Re: Reminiscence

<sfsfmd$lbr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5579&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5579

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 15:18:37 +1200
 by: Your Name - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 03:18 UTC

On 2021-08-21 16:34:28 +0000, moviePig said:
> On 8/21/2021 2:38 AM, trotsky wrote:
>> I looked forward to seeing this movie just because of the adverts, as
>> the Brits might say.  Don't believe the hype, as Public Enemy used to
>> sing.  What started off as an interesting, albeit derivative, premise
>> slowly devolved into a potboiler that I couldn't wait to be over.  The
>> problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which is a
>> "hero" that spends far much time being an asshole.  If the characters
>> are unappealing you have to make damn sure something in the movie is,
>> and that sure as hell wasn't happening.  I don't know how such movies
>> get made.  The script would have needed multiple revisions for this to
>> be appealing, and clearly that never happened.  Some might like this
>> simply for Hugh Jackman's performance, that wasn't nearly enough for me.
>
> I can't help wondering: Would *I* release a really good movie right now?

Unfortunately (luckily?) this isn't one. It's just another in the
latest clone-fad of "VR dream" movies, and not a very good one either
from the trailer. :-\

Re: Reminiscence

<sg0p2q$1eh4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5581&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5581

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:23:21 -0500
 by: trotsky - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 18:23 UTC

On 8/21/2021 11:34 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 8/21/2021 2:38 AM, trotsky wrote:
>> I looked forward to seeing this movie just because of the adverts, as
>> the Brits might say.  Don't believe the hype, as Public Enemy used to
>> sing.  What started off as an interesting, albeit derivative, premise
>> slowly devolved into a potboiler that I couldn't wait to be over.  The
>> problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which is a
>> "hero" that spends far much time being an asshole.  If the characters
>> are unappealing you have to make damn sure something in the movie is,
>> and that sure as hell wasn't happening.  I don't know how such movies
>> get made.  The script would have needed multiple revisions for this to
>> be appealing, and clearly that never happened.  Some might like this
>> simply for Hugh Jackman's performance, that wasn't nearly enough for me.
>
> I can't help wondering: Would *I* release a really good movie right now?

Black Widow was reviewed well.

Re: Reminiscence

<7URUI.50766$Oz2.42954@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5582&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5582

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:35:46 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 18:35 UTC

On 8/23/2021 2:23 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 8/21/2021 11:34 AM, moviePig wrote:
>> On 8/21/2021 2:38 AM, trotsky wrote:
>>> I looked forward to seeing this movie just because of the adverts, as
>>> the Brits might say.  Don't believe the hype, as Public Enemy used to
>>> sing.  What started off as an interesting, albeit derivative, premise
>>> slowly devolved into a potboiler that I couldn't wait to be over.
>>> The problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which
>>> is a "hero" that spends far much time being an asshole.  If the
>>> characters are unappealing you have to make damn sure something in
>>> the movie is, and that sure as hell wasn't happening.  I don't know
>>> how such movies get made.  The script would have needed multiple
>>> revisions for this to be appealing, and clearly that never happened.
>>> Some might like this simply for Hugh Jackman's performance, that
>>> wasn't nearly enough for me.
>>
>> I can't help wondering: Would *I* release a really good movie right now?
>
> Black Widow was reviewed well.

I meant "release in theaters", which BW famously only partially was.
Assuming a standard theatrical release to be how studios realize top
return on their investment, it seems to me that an auspciously
hot-seeming property in the can is likely to wait there a while longer.

Re: Reminiscence

<sg156d$v9k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5583&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5583

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 09:50:05 +1200
 by: Your Name - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 21:50 UTC

On 2021-08-23 18:35:46 +0000, moviePig said:
> On 8/23/2021 2:23 PM, trotsky wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't help wondering: Would *I* release a really good movie right now?
>>
>> Black Widow was reviewed well.
>
> I meant "release in theaters", which BW famously only partially was.
> Assuming a standard theatrical release to be how studios realize top
> return on their investment, it seems to me that an auspciously
> hot-seeming property in the can is likely to wait there a while longer.

"Reminiscence" obviously it is not a 'good movie' since it was beaten
at this week's box office by the Paw Patrol movie. (Both were beaten by
"Free Guy".)

Re: Reminiscence

<sg2jur$1put$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5586&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5586

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 06:08:11 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:08 UTC

On 8/21/21 5:03 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
> On 2021-08-21 at 00:38:26 MDT, "trotsky" <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:
>
>> The
>> problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which is a
>> "hero" that spends far much time being an asshole.
>
> All across Usenet, the irony meters are pegging.

Which anonyshit are you again?

Re: Reminiscence

<sg2k0f$1put$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5587&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5587

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 06:09:03 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 11:09 UTC

On 8/21/21 5:18 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 22:03:42 -0000 (UTC), Neill Massello wrote:
>
>> On 2021-08-21 at 00:38:26 MDT, "trotsky" <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The
>>> problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which is a
>>> "hero" that spends far much time being an asshole.
>>
>> All across Usenet, the irony meters are pegging.
>
> Which interpretation of "pegging" are you using here Neil?

As if on cue, another anonyshit who can't even spell the first
anonyshit's name!

Re: Reminiscence

<sg2k1t$1put$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5588&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5588

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 06:09:49 -0500

On 8/21/21 10:18 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-08-21 16:34:28 +0000, moviePig said:
>> On 8/21/2021 2:38 AM, trotsky wrote:
>>> I looked forward to seeing this movie just because of the adverts, as
>>> the Brits might say.  Don't believe the hype, as Public Enemy used to
>>> sing.  What started off as an interesting, albeit derivative, premise
>>> slowly devolved into a potboiler that I couldn't wait to be over.
>>> The problems are too numerous to mention, but not the least of which
>>> is a "hero" that spends far much time being an asshole.  If the
>>> characters are unappealing you have to make damn sure something in
>>> the movie is, and that sure as hell wasn't happening.  I don't know
>>> how such movies get made.  The script would have needed multiple
>>> revisions for this to be appealing, and clearly that never happened.
>>> Some might like this simply for Hugh Jackman's performance, that
>>> wasn't nearly enough for me.
>>
>> I can't help wondering: Would *I* release a really good movie right now?
>
> Unfortunately (luckily?) this isn't one. It's just another in the latest
> clone-fad of "VR dream" movies, and not a very good one either from the
> trailer.  :-\

You reviewed from the trailer? The words "you're a fucking moron" come
to mind.