Start every day off with a smile and get it over with. -- W. C. Fields

arts / rec.arts.sf.composition / Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

SubjectAuthor
* Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All TimeDon
`* Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All TimeChristian Weisgerber
 +* Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Timesmw
 |`- Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All TimeLafe
 `* Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All TimeRobert Woodward
  `* Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All TimeDimensional Traveler
   `* Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All TimeJ. Clarke
    `- Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All TimeJerry Brown

1
Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

<20211016a@crcomp.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56&group=rec.arts.sf.composition#56

From: g...@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.composition
Subject: Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 14:43:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 14:43 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Tony Nance wrote:
>> I just ran across this article about an hour ago - it was published
>> two days ago:
>> https://bookriot.com/the-most-influential-sci-fi-books-of-all-time/

<snip>

> The fact that the list does not mention Perry Rhodan, David Weber, or
> John Ringo makes the list very suspect in my mind.

Popularity's probably positively correlated to influence. And
_Perry Rhodan_ is the most popular science fiction ever, with over two
billion novellas sold. Bubonicon's a takeoff on a PR character named
Gucky/Pucky. PR's matter transmitter's appeared years before Star Trek's
transporters. PR's spherical space ships debuted decades before Star
Wars' Death Star.
George Lucas supposedly said the American translation of PR was an
"inspiration, less strong than Flash Gordon, but it influenced the
design of many starships of Star Wars." Unfortunately the translated
Lucas quote seems absent from the two sources typically cited: [1][2]
The above situation brings to mind the time a friend of mine
mentioned how a set of data was treated as gospel in medical journals
for decades. Until someone actually replicated the original experiment
and ended up with different data.

It surprises me to learn Robin Cook belongs to a rarefied club of
authors with nearly 400 million books sold. Steven King's in the club,
as well is James Patterson (who's relatively unknown to me).
Robin Cook grinds an axe with his fiction. He writes to influence
others.
His faintly fictional first novel, _The Year of the Intern_, bombed.
So he upped his game. He brilliantly reverse engineered a formula out of
_Jaws_, _Love Story_, and other best sellers, then used it to create his
own best seller, his first of many: _Coma_.

What a shock: Robin Cook fuses stem cells with a suspenseful tale

Robin Cook's latest medical thriller may seem like yet
another example of the author's uncanny ability to anticipate
national controversy, in this case the uproar over federal
funding for embryonic stem cell research. After all, the
Harvard-trained medical doctor-turned-novelist has been
writing well ahead of the public-debate curve since his
breakout novel, Coma, nearly 25 years ago. ...
Cook admits the timing of Shock was fortuitous. "I
suppose you could say that it's the most like Coma in that
it deals with an issue that everybody seems to be concerned
about," he says. "I wrote this book to address the stem cell
issue, which the public really doesn't know anything about.
Besides entertaining readers, my main goal is to get people
interested in some of these issues, because it's the public
that ultimately really should decide which way we ought to
go in something as ethically questioning as stem cell
research." ...
And after 23 books, he has come up with a diagnosis to
explain why his medical thrillers remain so popular.
"The main reason is, we all realize we're at risk. We're
all going to be patients at some time," he says. "You can
write about great white sharks or haunted houses, and you
can say I'm not going in the ocean or I'm not going in
haunted houses, but you can't say you're not going to go in
a hospital." [3]

Formulas fascinate me. One of these days its my intention to reverse
engineer Levinson and Link's formula out of the first half dozen seasons
of _Colombo_.
The checklist enumerated in "Is it possible to write a best-selling
novel simply by following a formula?" [4] contains a lot of elements
found in the typical Cook:

1. The hero is an expert.
2. The villain is an expert.
3. You must watch all of the villainy over the shoulder of
the villain.
4. The hero has a team of experts in various fields behind
him, etc.
5. Two or more on the team must fall in love.
6. Two or more on the team must die.
7. The villain must turn his attentions from his initial goal
to the team.
8. The villain and the hero must live to do battle again in
the sequel.
9. All deaths must proceed from the individual to the group:
i.e., never say that the bomb exploded and 15,000 people
were killed. Start with "Jamie and Suzy were walking in
the park with their grandmother when the earth opened up."
10. If you get bogged down, just kill somebody.

Then there's Lester Dent's formula. [5]

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no
one knows what they are." - W. Somerset Maugham

Note.

[1] https://books.google.com/books?id=cKLlUnyG4IQC&pg=PA342
[2] https://www.handelsblatt.com/panorama/aus-aller-welt/science-fiction-serie-aus-rastatt-soll-verfilmt-werden-perry-rhodan-fordert-darth-vader-zum-duell-seite-2/2504942-2.html
[3] https://web.archive.org/web/20071016063803/http://www.bookpage.com/0109bp/robin_cook.html
[4] https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-to-write-a-bestseller-formula_b_1542587
[5] https://steegerbooks.com/lester-dent-and-the-master-fiction-plot/

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

<slrnsmm63l.10nr.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57&group=rec.arts.sf.composition#57

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.composition
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 18:22:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 18:22 UTC

On 2021-10-16, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:

> Popularity's probably positively correlated to influence. And
> _Perry Rhodan_ is the most popular science fiction ever, with over two
> billion novellas sold. Bubonicon's a takeoff on a PR character named
> Gucky/Pucky. PR's matter transmitter's appeared years before Star Trek's
> transporters. PR's spherical space ships debuted decades before Star
> Wars' Death Star.

I think PR's influence on Anglo-American SF is approximately zero.
And a good rule of thumb is that _nothing_ in PR is original. It's
all been seen before. (Which does not preclude independent
reinvention.)

_The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ traces matter transmission
to the 19th century.

I vaguely remember von Däniken explaining that a sphere is the
logical shape for a space-ship. That idea must have been around
for a long time. (And is completely irrelevant at the level of
magic technology in PR.)

The influence of PR on _German_ SF is another matter. That article
about the problems of translating PR into English...
https://nedludssocks.blogspot.com/2013/04/english-translations-of-perry-rhodan.html
.... made me wonder to which degree PR has actually shaped German
SF vocabulary.

There were of course some attempts in Germany to duplicate the
success of PR, with _Ren Dhark_ (1966-69) being the most successful
at 98 installments. And _Die Terranauten_ (1979-81, 99 installments
plus some paperback sequels) was explicitly created as an "anti-Perry
Rhodan story".

> George Lucas supposedly said the American translation of PR was an
> "inspiration, less strong than Flash Gordon, but it influenced the
> design of many starships of Star Wars." Unfortunately the translated
> Lucas quote seems absent from the two sources typically cited: [1][2]
> The above situation brings to mind the time a friend of mine
> mentioned how a set of data was treated as gospel in medical journals
> for decades.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle a number of years back when somebody
noticed that the length of the river Rhine as given in encyclopedias,
text books, etc. was simply wrong, and this was traced back to a
transposition of two digits (1230 > 1320 km) that steadily spread
through all those carefully fact-checked reputable sources *cough*.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

<skfcqv$ovq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=58&group=rec.arts.sf.composition#58

From: smw...@mort.smwonline.ca (smw)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.composition
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 20:31:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: smw - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 20:31 UTC

In <slrnsmm63l.10nr.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> writes:

>There was a bit of a kerfuffle a number of years back when somebody
>noticed that the length of the river Rhine as given in encyclopedias,
>text books, etc. was simply wrong, and this was traced back to a
>transposition of two digits (1230 > 1320 km) that steadily spread
>through all those carefully fact-checked reputable sources *cough*.

This is related to the phenomenon of citogenesis, as explained by xkcd:

https://xkcd.com/978/

xkcd has something relevant to say about almost anything. :-)

- Steven
Steven Winikoff |
Montreal, QC, Canada | For clarity in writing, be careful about
smw@smwonline.ca | word selection. For example, never
http://smwonline.ca | utilize 'utilize' when you can use 'use'.

Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

<robertaw-78CA28.22003116102021@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=59&group=rec.arts.sf.composition#59

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.composition
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:00:32 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 05:00 UTC

In article <slrnsmm63l.10nr.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

> On 2021-10-16, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>
> > Popularity's probably positively correlated to influence. And
> > _Perry Rhodan_ is the most popular science fiction ever, with over two
> > billion novellas sold. Bubonicon's a takeoff on a PR character named
> > Gucky/Pucky. PR's matter transmitter's appeared years before Star Trek's
> > transporters. PR's spherical space ships debuted decades before Star
> > Wars' Death Star.
>
> I think PR's influence on Anglo-American SF is approximately zero.
> And a good rule of thumb is that _nothing_ in PR is original. It's
> all been seen before. (Which does not preclude independent
> reinvention.)
>
> _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ traces matter transmission
> to the 19th century.
>
> I vaguely remember von Däniken explaining that a sphere is the
> logical shape for a space-ship. That idea must have been around
> for a long time. (And is completely irrelevant at the level of
> magic technology in PR.)

The warships in various H. Beam Piper's stories (_Space Viking_ as well
as stories set in the Federation era and in the Empire Era) were
spherical. For that matter, IIRC, the title spaceship in _Skylark of
Valeron_ was also spherical.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

<skgbfg$ma5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60&group=rec.arts.sf.composition#60

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.composition
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:14:28 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 05:14 UTC

On 10/16/2021 10:00 PM, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <slrnsmm63l.10nr.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-10-16, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Popularity's probably positively correlated to influence. And
>>> _Perry Rhodan_ is the most popular science fiction ever, with over two
>>> billion novellas sold. Bubonicon's a takeoff on a PR character named
>>> Gucky/Pucky. PR's matter transmitter's appeared years before Star Trek's
>>> transporters. PR's spherical space ships debuted decades before Star
>>> Wars' Death Star.
>>
>> I think PR's influence on Anglo-American SF is approximately zero.
>> And a good rule of thumb is that _nothing_ in PR is original. It's
>> all been seen before. (Which does not preclude independent
>> reinvention.)
>>
>> _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ traces matter transmission
>> to the 19th century.
>>
>> I vaguely remember von Däniken explaining that a sphere is the
>> logical shape for a space-ship. That idea must have been around
>> for a long time. (And is completely irrelevant at the level of
>> magic technology in PR.)
>
> The warships in various H. Beam Piper's stories (_Space Viking_ as well
> as stories set in the Federation era and in the Empire Era) were
> spherical. For that matter, IIRC, the title spaceship in _Skylark of
> Valeron_ was also spherical.

IIRC spheres give the most volume with the least surface area.

dirty old man.

Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

<oadnmgh4vtqqgiqlbjj2m5gsplct0ge3do@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=61&group=rec.arts.sf.composition#61

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.composition
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 02:07:18 -0400
 by: J. Clarke - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 06:07 UTC

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:14:28 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 10/16/2021 10:00 PM, Robert Woodward wrote:
>> In article <slrnsmm63l.10nr.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
>> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>>> I think PR's influence on Anglo-American SF is approximately zero.
>>> And a good rule of thumb is that _nothing_ in PR is original. It's
>>> all been seen before. (Which does not preclude independent
>>> reinvention.)
>>>
>>> _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ traces matter transmission
>>> to the 19th century.
>>>
>>> I vaguely remember von Däniken explaining that a sphere is the
>>> logical shape for a space-ship. That idea must have been around
>>> for a long time. (And is completely irrelevant at the level of
>>> magic technology in PR.)
>>
>> The warships in various H. Beam Piper's stories (_Space Viking_ as well
>> as stories set in the Federation era and in the Empire Era) were
>> spherical. For that matter, IIRC, the title spaceship in _Skylark of
>> Valeron_ was also spherical.
>>
>IIRC spheres give the most volume with the least surface area.

Cavor's space ship in Wells' 1901 "The First Men in the Moon" is
spherical. The Chapter 3 title is "The Building of the Sphere". I'm
fairly sure that some of Doc Smith's space ships were spherical.

With regard to teleportation, google "Kefitzat Haderech", which I
believe predates Christianity. There's also Wagner's Tarnhelm. If
you need something explicitly science-fictional try "The Man Without a
Body" from 1877. Or Clarke's first published story, "Travel by Wire!"
from 1937. Or for something well known that predates Perry Rhodan,
try Heinlein's 1955 "Tunnel in the Sky". It also appeared in several
movies starting in 1939, including the 1953 Merrie Melodies "Duck
Dodgers", and 1958's "The Fly".

Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

<2idomghmejh2orevea137i4d2l4kc11boc@jwbrown.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62&group=rec.arts.sf.composition#62

From: jer...@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid (Jerry Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.composition
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 15:49:45 +0100
 by: Jerry Brown - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 14:49 UTC

On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 02:07:18 -0400, J. Clarke
<jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:14:28 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
><dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>On 10/16/2021 10:00 PM, Robert Woodward wrote:

>>> The warships in various H. Beam Piper's stories (_Space Viking_ as well
>>> as stories set in the Federation era and in the Empire Era) were
>>> spherical. For that matter, IIRC, the title spaceship in _Skylark of
>>> Valeron_ was also spherical.
>>>
>>IIRC spheres give the most volume with the least surface area.
>
>Cavor's space ship in Wells' 1901 "The First Men in the Moon" is
>spherical. The Chapter 3 title is "The Building of the Sphere". I'm
>fairly sure that some of Doc Smith's space ships were spherical.
>
>With regard to teleportation, google "Kefitzat Haderech", which I
>believe predates Christianity. There's also Wagner's Tarnhelm. If
>you need something explicitly science-fictional try "The Man Without a
>Body" from 1877. Or Clarke's first published story, "Travel by Wire!"
>from 1937. Or for something well known that predates Perry Rhodan,
>try Heinlein's 1955 "Tunnel in the Sky". It also appeared in several
>movies starting in 1939, including the 1953 Merrie Melodies
>"Duck Dodgers"

which was a direct reference to the telepods in the original "Buck
Rogers": <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD7F0aHCALE&t=12m43s>.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Re: The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books Of All Time

<skih39$l7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=63&group=rec.arts.sf.composition#63

From: laf...@lafes.invalid (Lafe)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.composition
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 01:02:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lafe - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 01:02 UTC

smw <smw@mort.smwonline.ca> wrote in news:skfcqv$ovq$1@dont-email.me:

> In <slrnsmm63l.10nr.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>
> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> writes:
>
>>There was a bit of a kerfuffle a number of years back when somebody
>>noticed that the length of the river Rhine as given in encyclopedias,
>>text books, etc. was simply wrong, and this was traced back to a
>>transposition of two digits (1230 > 1320 km) that steadily spread
>>through all those carefully fact-checked reputable sources *cough*.
>
> This is related to the phenomenon of citogenesis, as explained by xkcd:
>
> https://xkcd.com/978/
>
> xkcd has something relevant to say about almost anything. :-)
>
> - Steven

I enjoyed this comic, and then I jumped to today's (https://xkcd.com/2529/)
and between the two had a nice belly laugh like I haven't had in a while.

Cheers!

Lafe