Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 16:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "Elvis & Nixon" (no spoilers)
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (JG Rove)
 by: JG Rove - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 23:02 UTC

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 7:37:09 PM UTC-5, Russell Watson wrote:
> Not sure how this could BE spoiled since it's a "true story" everyone
> knows. Amazon made this and did a good job of it in my opinion. It's the
> story of two very powerful men who were also both very insecure and
> needy of the people with whom they surrounded themselves, with the
> latter being as much who this is about as the titular characters whose
> meeting it chronicles. The craggy, pockmarked Michael Shannon seems a
> poor choice for the almost prettily handsome Elvis, but he grows on you
> in the role, and they may have actually been very deliberate about
> choosing him. I see it as a similar case of picking George C. Scott to
> play Patton: to get a guy who wasn't so much like Patton as the kind of
> guy Patton saw himself as being. Shannon doesn't "speak Elvis"
> consistently, but that also appears deliberate, like something he can
> put on and take off as easily as the silk scarf under his collar when he
> wants to use it, and he never overdoes it to the point of parody. That
> is left to another character in a very funny scene. Kevin Spacey does
> his usual good job as Nixon, nailing his mannerisms and speech patterns
> (salted with profanities, of course). The movie contains cut away shots
> of views out of car windows etc., some of which are obviously vintage
> and others that may or may not be modern but done in the same grainy
> style, and the movie overall has a bit of a late '60s/early'70s look and
> feel as far as the colors, etc. Probably not for everyone, but if you
> like this sort of thing this is very well-done, in my opinion.

Elvis came across as a chicken hawk willing to see kids DIE in Vietnam after he spent his Army "draft" years in cushy post Nazi Germany. His crew ran around with police badges from various Southern yokel sheriff's.

Re: "Elvis & Nixon" (no spoilers)

<super70s-2607FB.04141521092021@reader02.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5641&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5641

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 04:14:15 -0500
 by: super70s - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 09:14 UTC

In article <b528af49-54b7-4dab-b740-0c932402aa70n@googlegroups.com>,
JG Rove <jgrove24@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Elvis came across as a chicken hawk willing to see kids DIE in Vietnam after
> he spent his Army "draft" years in cushy post Nazi Germany.

? Elvis was out of the army by the time there were any significant
number of US troops in Vietnam, there were only a few US advisers there
during his hitch and they weren't draftees.