Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves. -- Lazarus Long

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Could audiophiles be said to have a kind of aural scopophilia?

SubjectAuthor
* Could audiophiles be said to have a kind of aural scopophilia?gggg gggg
`- Re: Could audiophiles be said to have a kind of aural scopophilia?gggg gggg

1
Could audiophiles be said to have a kind of aural scopophilia?

<e1be9185-5847-4d71-b67d-9bbb7f537e09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56516&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56516

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 15:11:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Could audiophiles be said to have a kind of aural scopophilia?
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Tue, 16 May 2023 22:11 UTC

According to Chatbot BARD?:

In short, yes.

Scopophilia is a term used in psychoanalysis to describe a pleasure derived from looking. It is often associated with voyeurism, but it can also be experienced in other contexts, such as when someone enjoys watching a beautiful sunset or a well-choreographed dance performance.

Aural scopophilia is a term that has been used to describe a pleasure derived from listening. It is often associated with audiophiles, who are people who enjoy listening to high-quality audio. Audiophiles often spend a great deal of time and money on their audio equipment, in order to achieve the best possible listening experience. They may also enjoy listening to music in a quiet environment, so that they can focus on the sound.

There are a number of reasons why audiophiles might experience aural scopophilia. One reason is that sound can be a very sensual experience. When we listen to music, we can hear the different instruments, the vocals, and the overall rhythm of the piece. We can also hear the nuances of the performance, such as the singer's breath or the guitarist's fingers on the strings. All of these sounds can be very pleasurable to listen to.

Another reason why audiophiles might experience aural scopophilia is that sound can be a very personal experience. When we listen to music, we can close our eyes and imagine ourselves in the moment. We can feel the music moving through our bodies, and we can connect with the emotions of the piece. This can be a very powerful and rewarding experience.

Finally, audiophiles might experience aural scopophilia because they enjoy the challenge of finding the best possible listening experience. They may enjoy experimenting with different types of audio equipment, and they may take pride in their ability to create a listening environment that is perfect for them. This can be a very rewarding hobby, and it can lead to a great deal of enjoyment.

Re: Could audiophiles be said to have a kind of aural scopophilia?

<23369642-5260-4c5f-95f3-ac6a4a8ad61cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56517&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56517

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 15:12:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Tue, 16 May 2023 22:12 UTC

On Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 3:11:39 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> According to Chatbot BARD?:
>

> In short, yes.
>
> Scopophilia is a term used in psychoanalysis to describe a pleasure derived from looking. It is often associated with voyeurism, but it can also be experienced in other contexts, such as when someone enjoys watching a beautiful sunset or a well-choreographed dance performance.
>
> Aural scopophilia is a term that has been used to describe a pleasure derived from listening. It is often associated with audiophiles, who are people who enjoy listening to high-quality audio. Audiophiles often spend a great deal of time and money on their audio equipment, in order to achieve the best possible listening experience. They may also enjoy listening to music in a quiet environment, so that they can focus on the sound.
>
> There are a number of reasons why audiophiles might experience aural scopophilia. One reason is that sound can be a very sensual experience. When we listen to music, we can hear the different instruments, the vocals, and the overall rhythm of the piece. We can also hear the nuances of the performance, such as the singer's breath or the guitarist's fingers on the strings. All of these sounds can be very pleasurable to listen to.
>
> Another reason why audiophiles might experience aural scopophilia is that sound can be a very personal experience. When we listen to music, we can close our eyes and imagine ourselves in the moment. We can feel the music moving through our bodies, and we can connect with the emotions of the piece. This can be a very powerful and rewarding experience.
>
> Finally, audiophiles might experience aural scopophilia because they enjoy the challenge of finding the best possible listening experience. They may enjoy experimenting with different types of audio equipment, and they may take pride in their ability to create a listening environment that is perfect for them. This can be a very rewarding hobby, and it can lead to a great deal of enjoyment.

What about those who are obsessed with getting a specific recording in the best sound?