Time to take stock. Go home with some office supplies.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort of

SubjectAuthor
* "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort ofRichA
+* Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort ofted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|`- Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort ofRichA
+- Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort ofYour Name
`* Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort ofalvey
 `- Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort ofRichA

1
"Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort of

<04f94f2a-e416-4dc7-a4cd-bf52e87f59a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5660&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5660

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:09:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort of
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:09 UTC

Ryan Reynolds, probably the highest paid actor in Hollywood now, plays a video game NPC (Non-Playable character) that becomes self-actualizing. He's pursued by two avatared video game monitors who think the character is the result of a hacker and they go after it in the game. The part where he goes into the coffee shop and orders a different drink and a tank outside the shop trains its gun on him is hilarious. For those with a bad taste left in your mouth from the TV show "La Brea's" awful special effects, this is a salve.

Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort of

<is278rFkbolU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5662&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5662

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort of
Date: 5 Oct 2021 05:48:11 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:48 UTC

In article <04f94f2a-e416-4dc7-a4cd-bf52e87f59a4n@googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ryan Reynolds, probably the highest paid actor in Hollywood now, plays a
>video game NPC (Non-Playable character) that becomes self-actualizing.
>He's pursued by two avatared video game monitors who think the character
>is the result of a hacker and they go after it in the game. The part
>where he goes into the coffee shop and orders a different drink and a
>tank outside the shop trains its gun on him is hilarious. For those
>with a bad taste left in your mouth from the TV show "La Brea's" awful
>special effects, this is a salve.

I thought it was pretty good. Reynolds was having fun, the bad guy
was over the top, the female lead was convincing in what was basically
two roles and the male programmer was doing a very good Michael J.
Fox.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort of

<sjgp4m$1one$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5663&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5663

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 18:51:18 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:51 UTC

On 2021-10-05 05:09:01 +0000, RichA said:

> Ryan Reynolds, probably the highest paid actor in Hollywood now, plays
> a video game NPC (Non-Playable character) that becomes
> self-actualizing. He's pursued by two avatared video game monitors who
> think the character is the result of a hacker and they go after it in
> the game. The part where he goes into the coffee shop and orders a
> different drink and a tank outside the shop trains its gun on him is
> hilarious. For those with a bad taste left in your mouth from the TV
> show "La Brea's" awful special effects, this is a salve.

They're already working on "Free Guy 2".

Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort of

<3e6e91cb-f3d6-4272-a773-d1f28d0bbec8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5664&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5664

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 23:36:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 06:36 UTC

On Tuesday, 5 October 2021 at 01:48:14 UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <04f94f2a-e416-4dc7...@googlegroups.com>,
> RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Ryan Reynolds, probably the highest paid actor in Hollywood now, plays a
> >video game NPC (Non-Playable character) that becomes self-actualizing.
> >He's pursued by two avatared video game monitors who think the character
> >is the result of a hacker and they go after it in the game. The part
> >where he goes into the coffee shop and orders a different drink and a
> >tank outside the shop trains its gun on him is hilarious. For those
> >with a bad taste left in your mouth from the TV show "La Brea's" awful
> >special effects, this is a salve.
> I thought it was pretty good. Reynolds was having fun, the bad guy
> was over the top, the female lead was convincing in what was basically
> two roles and the male programmer was doing a very good Michael J.
> Fox.
> --
> columbiaclosings.com
> What's not in Columbia anymore..

Admittedly, the X-Files series II beat them to the idea, and there has probably been others (like Terminator) but it was an interesting take on the whole A.I. field. The idea is ripe for further exploitation.

Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort of

<7aj0dxlyfq1d$.1t09twrv4sro1.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5665&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5665

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:50:58 +1000
 by: alvey - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 07:50 UTC

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:09:01 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

> Ryan Reynolds, probably the highest paid actor in Hollywood now, plays a
> video game NPC (Non-Playable character) that becomes self-actualizing.
> He's pursued by two avatared video game monitors who think the character
> is the result of a hacker and they go after it in the game. The part
> where he goes into the coffee shop and orders a different drink and a
> tank outside the shop trains its gun on him is hilarious. For those
> with a bad taste left in your mouth from the TV show "La Brea's" awful
> special effects, this is a salve.

I thought Jodie Comer played it best. Make yourself unrecognisable and take
the bag of cash.

alvey

Re: "Free Guy" Amusing video game as reality sort of

<dc74369d-c6af-41b0-ab92-8ce9d2e37faen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5666&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5666

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 08:17:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:17 UTC

On Tuesday, 5 October 2021 at 03:51:02 UTC-4, alvey wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 22:09:01 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
>
> > Ryan Reynolds, probably the highest paid actor in Hollywood now, plays a
> > video game NPC (Non-Playable character) that becomes self-actualizing.
> > He's pursued by two avatared video game monitors who think the character
> > is the result of a hacker and they go after it in the game. The part
> > where he goes into the coffee shop and orders a different drink and a
> > tank outside the shop trains its gun on him is hilarious. For those
> > with a bad taste left in your mouth from the TV show "La Brea's" awful
> > special effects, this is a salve.
> I thought Jodie Comer played it best. Make yourself unrecognisable and take
> the bag of cash.
Like being in cartoon movies.