Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 08:22:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Halloween Horror Hootenanny?
From: jack.boh...@gmail.com (Jack Bohn)
 by: Jack Bohn - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 16:22 UTC

Well, a week late, but do you watch horror movies for Halloween? For the month of October?
Classic films (or at least old)? Favorites? Or new (or new-to-you) movies?

Here's what I've seen this month, mostly depending on what the TV channels deliver:

The Crimson Cult (aka The Curse of the Crimson Altar) (1968)
I'd forgotten I'd watched this before. I'm beginning to forget it already.

The Death Kiss (1932)
No supernatural, but Bela Lugosi in the story of a murder on a movie set.

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)
I may have been too old to have first seen it now.

Ghost Valley (1932)
Tom Keene (later to be "of 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' fame") plays one of two heirs of the owner of a western ghost town near a boom-and-bust mine. Traveling incognito, he is hired to impersonate himself to convince the other heir to sell her share to people who have secretly discovered a vein of gold. Some folks include fake haunting movies in speculative fiction, as they invite an at least momentary consideration of the supernatural.

The House of the Seven Gables (1940)
Borderline supernatural. Although an ancestor made false accusations of witchcraft, it seems the victim's dying curse has been effective. I doubt even if DVDs and boxsets had remained a thing that it would have ever appeared in a Universal set of horror films. After this I pulled out my DVD of "Twice Told Tales" (1963), another studio's attempt to horn in on AIP's Corman/Poe films by hiring Vincent Price to star in an adaptation of another 19th C author. Alas, Hawthorne's book had only two stories that would fit in the supernatural horror mode, so they also adapted 7 Gables into 40 minutes.. My first watching of it had me going "who? what?? how??? why???? oh, you saw 'House of Usher' too." With a better knowledge of the story, I thought I'd watch it again. The two plots and character portrayals don't line up, I ought to read the book, (after a detour into Ambrose Bierce,) the truth may lie somewhere in between.

The Hunger (1983)
Stylish look at vampires, takes its time in pointing out why you wouldn't want to be one.

The Invisible Man (2020)
Yes, that's what you do, you make a good movie! It's also aware that the audience knows there's an invisible man before the characters do.

The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case (1930)
Stanley is an heir, so others in the house are trying to murder him. They act strangely, so this could be classed as a madman horror.

Return to Glennascaul (1952)
A ghost story Orson Welles tossed off in the middle of making "Othello."

Who Killed Who? (1943)
MGM cartoon directed by Tex Avery. Shows the slippery line between Murder Mystery and Haunted House movie.

I still have recorded, but haven't yet watched:

Kuroneko (1968) a Japanese ghost story.

Cure (1997) double-featured with the above, I would guess it's Japanese, and also scary.

The Black Scorpion (1957)
About every time this comes around, I watch it. Maybe I should buy it.

The Omega Man (1971)
ditto, to a lesser extent. I own the other two adaptations, and have never felt the call of the completist, so there must be some reason I don't own this film.

--
-Jack