Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around us in awareness. -- James Thurber

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

SubjectAuthor
* The Velvet Underground (US) 2021william ahearn
+* Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021RichA
|`* Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021william ahearn
| `- Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021RichA
+- Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021trotsky
`* Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021trotsky
 +- Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021william ahearn
 `* Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021Bice
  +- Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021trotsky
  `- Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021trotsky

1
The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<72d8cb86-815a-4d42-af41-a332471fcb6dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5730&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5730

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 20:51:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021
From: wlahe...@gmail.com (william ahearn)
 by: william ahearn - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 03:51 UTC

Hey,

Just caught Todd Haynes' documentary on The Velvet Underground. As much as I like a lot of Haynes' films, this is a drawn-out mess that seems to have as a take-away that Lou Reed is a total asshole and the The Velvet Underground is the avant garde's version of The Monkees created by Andy Warhol. Not that Warhol created the band, he merely created the buzz that seems to linger to this day. Over-wrought and self-important.

Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<6cc822ab-dc2f-43e3-8db0-4a31f2ef7555n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5731&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5731

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:54:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 00:54 UTC

On Thursday, 21 October 2021 at 23:51:57 UTC-4, wlah...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Just caught Todd Haynes' documentary on The Velvet Underground. As much as I like a lot of Haynes' films, this is a drawn-out mess that seems to have as a take-away that Lou Reed is a total asshole and the The Velvet Underground is the avant garde's version of The Monkees created by Andy Warhol. Not that Warhol created the band, he merely created the buzz that seems to linger to this day. Over-wrought and self-important.

Anyone trying to listen to Nico Icon sing would be convinced of that.

Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<19ba7d8b-7407-44f4-b32a-2a6f35bbab9dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5732&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5732

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:17:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: wlahe...@gmail.com (william ahearn)
 by: william ahearn - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 02:17 UTC

On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 8:54:44 PM UTC-4, RichA wrote:

> Anyone trying to listen to Nico Icon sing would be convinced of that.

Funny thing is that Nico was added because someone -- maybe Warhol -- decided that Lou Reed wasn't attractive enough to be a rock'n'roll frontman.

Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<sl1b90$1ord$4@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5736&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5736

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:55:11 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:55 UTC

On 10/21/21 10:51 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Just caught Todd Haynes' documentary on The Velvet Underground. As much as I like a lot of Haynes' films, this is a drawn-out mess that seems to have as a take-away that Lou Reed is a total asshole and the The Velvet Underground is the avant garde's version of The Monkees created by Andy Warhol. Not that Warhol created the band, he merely created the buzz that seems to linger to this day. Over-wrought and self-important.

I get it, you know about films but don't know dick about music? What
the fuck is it about social media that people want to air their
ignorance repeatedly?

Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<sl1bgv$1ord$5@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5737&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5737

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:59:27 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 15:59 UTC

On 10/21/21 10:51 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Just caught Todd Haynes' documentary on The Velvet Underground. As much as I like a lot of Haynes' films, this is a drawn-out mess that seems to have as a take-away that Lou Reed is a total asshole and the The Velvet Underground is the avant garde's version of The Monkees created by Andy Warhol. Not that Warhol created the band, he merely created the buzz that seems to linger to this day. Over-wrought and self-important.

From Britannica.com:

Recorded in 1966 but not released until the following year, The Velvet
Underground and Nico was one of rock's most important debuts, a
pioneering work that applied the disruptive aesthetics of avant-garde
music and free jazz (drones, distortion, atonal feedback) to rock
guitar.Oct 15, 2021
Hall of fame inductions: Rock & Roll Hall of Fa...
Members: Reed, Cale

the Velvet Underground | Members, Nico, Songs, Albums ...

So let's see, a world famous reference calling them "one of rock's most
important debuts" vs. willie the whiny bitch ahearn comparing them to
the Monkees. Tough call.

Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<d987c644-6792-44a7-9a5f-47fc608ab672n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5741&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5741

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:55:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: wlahe...@gmail.com (william ahearn)
 by: william ahearn - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 19:55 UTC

On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 11:59:30 AM UTC-4, gmsin...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 10/21/21 10:51 PM, william ahearn wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > Just caught Todd Haynes' documentary on The Velvet Underground. As much as I like a lot of Haynes' films, this is a drawn-out mess that seems to have as a take-away that Lou Reed is a total asshole and the The Velvet Underground is the avant garde's version of The Monkees created by Andy Warhol. Not that Warhol created the band, he merely created the buzz that seems to linger to this day. Over-wrought and self-important.
> From Britannica.com:
>
> Recorded in 1966 but not released until the following year, The Velvet
> Underground and Nico was one of rock's most important debuts, a
> pioneering work that applied the disruptive aesthetics of avant-garde
> music and free jazz (drones, distortion, atonal feedback) to rock
> guitar.Oct 15, 2021
> Hall of fame inductions: Rock & Roll Hall of Fa...
> Members: Reed, Cale
>
> the Velvet Underground | Members, Nico, Songs, Albums ...
>

> So let's see, a world famous reference calling them "one of rock's most
> important debuts" vs. willie the whiny bitch ahearn comparing them to
> the Monkees. Tough call.

From Britanica.com

Motown’s special case aside, the Monkees may have been the ultimate refutation of the 1960s rock audience’s folk-derived precepts of authenticity.

Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<6176939f.860150468@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5748&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5748

From: eichl...@comcastsucks.net (Bice)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 11:36:13 GMT
 by: Bice - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 11:36 UTC

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:59:27 -0500, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:

>On 10/21/21 10:51 PM, william ahearn wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Just caught Todd Haynes' documentary on The Velvet Underground.
>> As much as I like a lot of Haynes' films, this is a drawn-out mess
>> that seems to have as a take-away that Lou Reed is a total asshole
>> and the The Velvet Underground is the avant garde's version of
>> The Monkees created by Andy Warhol.
>

> From Britannica.com:
>
>Recorded in 1966 but not released until the following year, The Velvet
>Underground and Nico was one of rock's most important debuts, a
>pioneering work that applied the disruptive aesthetics of avant-garde
>music and free jazz (drones, distortion, atonal feedback) to rock
>guitar.

The Velvet Underground and Lou Reed have always been critics'
darlings, and there's the famous quote about how their debut didn't
sell a lot of copies, but everyone who bought a copy started their own
band:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/03/01/velvet/

That said, it doesn't mean they aren't overhyped and overrated. I
generally like avant garde rock music, but most Velvet Underground
that I've heard has sucked. Just personal opinion, obviously.

-- Bob

Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<sl6gof$pba$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5749&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5749

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 09:59:27 -0500
 by: trotsky - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:59 UTC

On 10/25/21 6:36 AM, Bice wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:59:27 -0500, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/21/21 10:51 PM, william ahearn wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Just caught Todd Haynes' documentary on The Velvet Underground.
>>> As much as I like a lot of Haynes' films, this is a drawn-out mess
>>> that seems to have as a take-away that Lou Reed is a total asshole
>>> and the The Velvet Underground is the avant garde's version of
>>> The Monkees created by Andy Warhol.
>>

>> From Britannica.com:
>>
>> Recorded in 1966 but not released until the following year, The Velvet
>> Underground and Nico was one of rock's most important debuts, a
>> pioneering work that applied the disruptive aesthetics of avant-garde
>> music and free jazz (drones, distortion, atonal feedback) to rock
>> guitar.
>
> The Velvet Underground and Lou Reed have always been critics'
> darlings, and there's the famous quote about how their debut didn't
> sell a lot of copies, but everyone who bought a copy started their own
> band:
>
> https://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/03/01/velvet/
>
> That said, it doesn't mean they aren't overhyped and overrated. I
> generally like avant garde rock music, but most Velvet Underground
> that I've heard has sucked. Just personal opinion, obviously.

And I'm not a fan either, but I recognize their importance because I've
been listening to that genre of music all my life. Obviously Todd
Haynes does too. But not so with wee willie ahearn!

Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<16b1e3b1119ad89f$1$3170321$10d55a65@news.newsdemon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5766&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5766

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 07:41:29 -0500
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
 by: trotsky - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:41 UTC

On 10/25/21 6:36 AM, Bice wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:59:27 -0500, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/21/21 10:51 PM, william ahearn wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Just caught Todd Haynes' documentary on The Velvet Underground.
>>> As much as I like a lot of Haynes' films, this is a drawn-out mess
>>> that seems to have as a take-away that Lou Reed is a total asshole
>>> and the The Velvet Underground is the avant garde's version of
>>> The Monkees created by Andy Warhol.
>>

>> From Britannica.com:
>>
>> Recorded in 1966 but not released until the following year, The Velvet
>> Underground and Nico was one of rock's most important debuts, a
>> pioneering work that applied the disruptive aesthetics of avant-garde
>> music and free jazz (drones, distortion, atonal feedback) to rock
>> guitar.
>
> The Velvet Underground and Lou Reed have always been critics'
> darlings, and there's the famous quote about how their debut didn't
> sell a lot of copies, but everyone who bought a copy started their own
> band:
>
> https://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/03/01/velvet/
>
> That said, it doesn't mean they aren't overhyped and overrated. I
> generally like avant garde rock music, but most Velvet Underground
> that I've heard has sucked. Just personal opinion, obviously.

And I'm not a fan either, but I recognize their importance because I've
been listening to that genre of music all my life. Obviously Todd
Haynes does too. But not so with wee willie ahearn!

Re: The Velvet Underground (US) 2021

<56746825-4379-43a8-8378-9dd021e27593n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5774&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5774

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 22:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 05:45 UTC

On Friday, 22 October 2021 at 22:17:36 UTC-4, wlah...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, October 22, 2021 at 8:54:44 PM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
>
> > Anyone trying to listen to Nico Icon sing would be convinced of that.
> Funny thing is that Nico was added because someone -- maybe Warhol -- decided that Lou Reed wasn't attractive enough to be a rock'n'roll frontman.

He was like a lot of gays, superficial. He was mesmerized by Edie Sedgwick because she was from California old-money royalty, even though she was nothing but an illicit drug abuser on an epic scale.