From: ads...@clipboardinc.com (Owen Hartnett)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 11:16:32 -0400
Subject: Apple Ear Pods - Ear Pods Pro
 by: Owen Hartnett - Tue, 30 May 2023 15:16 UTC

I just picked up a pair of Apple Ear Pods Pro (2nd edition) in a
Memorial Day sale at $50 off. Here's my impressions of them, comparing
them to the original earpods:

* Physically they are bigger, and have flexible (and changable) ear
cups instead of the just inserting a plastic ear-canal shaped device.
They also have slightly larger pod that they live in when not in use.

* Like the original, they charge when sitting in the pod, and the pod
has a battery inside that will charge them even if the pod is not
plugged in. The pod can be charged with a watch charger, a mag safe
charger, or from a lightning connector.

* Unlike the original pods, these have noise cancellation. Compared to
a BOSE noise cancellation headphones, the cancellation is very good,
indistinguishable from the BOSE. If you haven't used noise
cancellation headphones, you don't realize the amount of white noise
around you almost all the time. The minute you turn on noise
cancellation, that all goes away, and you realize how much music that
white noise blocks from you. You begin to hear little details that you
hadn't noticed in the music, and for the most part, it makes it more
enjoyable. (There are circumstances that are the opposite -- you can
sometimes hear detail that reveals a recording isn't as good as you
thought it was!)

* Sound quality - these are earpods, and can't match the BOSE, but then
you don't have a big headset on your head either. Surprisingly, for
Apple products, the bass isn't pronounced, and a full headphone like
BOSE's will show it up. For the most part though, they're good enough,
and certainly really good for earpods.

-Owen

Re: Apple Ear Pods - Ear Pods Pro

<8b4c25f2-cd57-465b-86c4-6ccc0fba7a79n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57308&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57308

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 08:31:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Apple Ear Pods - Ear Pods Pro
From: marcs12...@gmail.com (Marc S)
 by: Marc S - Tue, 30 May 2023 15:31 UTC

Owen Hartnett schrieb am Dienstag, 30. Mai 2023 um 17:16:46 UTC+2:
> I just picked up a pair of Apple Ear Pods Pro (2nd edition) in a
> Memorial Day sale at $50 off. Here's my impressions of them, comparing
> them to the original earpods:
>
> * Physically they are bigger, and have flexible (and changable) ear
> cups instead of the just inserting a plastic ear-canal shaped device.
> They also have slightly larger pod that they live in when not in use.
>
> * Like the original, they charge when sitting in the pod, and the pod
> has a battery inside that will charge them even if the pod is not
> plugged in. The pod can be charged with a watch charger, a mag safe
> charger, or from a lightning connector.
>
> * Unlike the original pods, these have noise cancellation. Compared to
> a BOSE noise cancellation headphones, the cancellation is very good,
> indistinguishable from the BOSE. If you haven't used noise
> cancellation headphones, you don't realize the amount of white noise
> around you almost all the time. The minute you turn on noise
> cancellation, that all goes away, and you realize how much music that
> white noise blocks from you. You begin to hear little details that you
> hadn't noticed in the music, and for the most part, it makes it more
> enjoyable. (There are circumstances that are the opposite -- you can
> sometimes hear detail that reveals a recording isn't as good as you
> thought it was!)
>
> * Sound quality - these are earpods, and can't match the BOSE, but then
> you don't have a big headset on your head either. Surprisingly, for
> Apple products, the bass isn't pronounced, and a full headphone like
> BOSE's will show it up. For the most part though, they're good enough,
> and certainly really good for earpods.

I really dislike earbuds in general... I use the Apple Airpods 3 (in-ear headphones) and I love them; way better than the Sennheiser Momentum 3 (wireless as well) over-the-ear headphones I bought 2 years or so ago and never use...

Had some Bose on-ear headphones years ago... I remember not really using them too much...

I think I seem to enjoy the experience of listening through in-ear headphones the most (maybe even more than live - haha); with over-the-ear or on-ear headphones I always feel a distance to the music (similar to live), while when listening through in-ear headphones, it feels as if the music is sort of materializing right between my ears; like it's not coming from the outside or sth.

> -Owen

Re: Apple Ear Pods - Ear Pods Pro

<9359480e-5a54-411d-8660-8c429b6d52d5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57310&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57310

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 08:38:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: marcs12...@gmail.com (Marc S)
 by: Marc S - Tue, 30 May 2023 15:38 UTC

BTW they are called Airpods, Owen...

I think the differentiation that I made between earbuds and in-ear headphones is not correct, but there is a difference between Airpods 3 and Airpods Pro in how they are constructed; Airpods 3 being in-ear headphones, and Airpods Pro being more into-the-ear headphones.

Re: Apple Ear Pods - Ear Pods Pro

<2023053013322854569-ads@clipboardinc.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57314&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57314

From: ads...@clipboardinc.com (Owen Hartnett)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 13:32:28 -0400
 by: Owen Hartnett - Tue, 30 May 2023 17:32 UTC

On 2023-05-30 15:38:19 +0000, Marc S said:

> BTW they are called Airpods, Owen...

Yes.

> I think the differentiation that I made between earbuds and in-ear
> headphones is not correct, but there is a difference between Airpods 3
> and Airpods Pro in how they are constructed; Airpods 3 being in-ear
> headphones, and Airpods Pro being more into-the-ear headphones.

The differences are:

AirPods (2nd generation) No Spatial Audio No Noise Cancellation
AirPods (3rd generation) Spatial Audio No Noise Cancellation
AirPods Pro (2nd generation) Spatial Audio Noise Cancellation

None of these actually invades the ear canal, but are all kind of
screwed into the canal opening.

The Bose noise cancelling are great for traveling, especially on a
train, when you're not constantly interrupted. The drawback is
travelling with a bulky headphone set in a large case, and having to
take them off and on. The AirPods pro may be it's substitution.

A surprisingly good sound source (which i listen to most) is my MacBook
Pro laptop (16-inch, 2021) which does remarkable spacial sounds. It
doesn't sound like the music is coming from the laptop, but from a
space above it. I thought I would hate it, but I love it. It's the
best sound from a computer I have ever heard. It may be the same
spatial audio that's in the AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro.

If you're considering upgrading, the difference between noise
cancelling and non-noise cancelling is significant. I invite you to
try it and see.

-Owen

Re: Apple Ear Pods - Ear Pods Pro

<0e39fb4c-0f8f-4e79-bd5d-cdbddef0b173n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57319&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57319

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 11:43:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: marcs12...@gmail.com (Marc S)
 by: Marc S - Tue, 30 May 2023 18:43 UTC

Owen Hartnett schrieb am Dienstag, 30. Mai 2023 um 19:32:43 UTC+2:
> On 2023-05-30 15:38:19 +0000, Marc S said:
>
> > BTW they are called Airpods, Owen...
> Yes.
> >
> > I think the differentiation that I made between earbuds and in-ear
> > headphones is not correct, but there is a difference between Airpods 3
> > and Airpods Pro in how they are constructed; Airpods 3 being in-ear
> > headphones, and Airpods Pro being more into-the-ear headphones.
> The differences are:
>
> AirPods (2nd generation) No Spatial Audio No Noise Cancellation
> AirPods (3rd generation) Spatial Audio No Noise Cancellation
> AirPods Pro (2nd generation) Spatial Audio Noise Cancellation
>
> None of these actually invades the ear canal, but are all kind of
> screwed into the canal opening.

Yeah, but the Pros sort of clog the entrance of the ear, and I don't like this feeling - especially over a longer period of time; the Airpods 3 don't, very different shape.

Just put a Airpods 3 and Airpods Pro 2 in your ear, there is a difference. Another difference is that Airpods Pro 2 are probably more high quality, but as said; I don't like the feeling of these type of headphones in my ear.

> The Bose noise cancelling are great for traveling, especially on a
> train, when you're not constantly interrupted. The drawback is
> travelling with a bulky headphone set in a large case, and having to
> take them off and on. The AirPods pro may be it's substitution.

I actually don't listen to music when travelling anymore; I can't really enjoy it then. And when I'm running or taking a walk the Airpods 3 have proven to be very good.

> A surprisingly good sound source (which i listen to most) is my MacBook
> Pro laptop (16-inch, 2021) which does remarkable spacial sounds. It
> doesn't sound like the music is coming from the laptop, but from a
> space above it. I thought I would hate it, but I love it. It's the

Haha, it's really a nice notebook and yeah, the sound is really great. Considering buying myself a Macbook Air this year actually; I made the mistake of switching from apple products back to windows oriented stuff a while ago, very stupid idea...

> best sound from a computer I have ever heard. It may be the same
> spatial audio that's in the AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro.
>
> If you're considering upgrading, the difference between noise
> cancelling and non-noise cancelling is significant. I invite you to
> try it and see.

Sorry no, because of the shape... my Sennheiser have noise cancelling btw, so I know what it is.

I'd like some more high quality headphones that are shaped like the Airpods 2 or 3...

> -Owen

Re: Apple Ear Pods - Ear Pods Pro

<2023053016315376295-ads@clipboardinc.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57321&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57321

From: ads...@clipboardinc.com (Owen Hartnett)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 16:31:53 -0400
 by: Owen Hartnett - Tue, 30 May 2023 20:31 UTC

On 2023-05-30 18:43:58 +0000, Marc S said:

> Just put a Airpods 3 and Airpods Pro 2 in your ear, there is a
> difference. Another difference is that Airpods Pro 2 are probably more
> high quality, but as said; I don't like the feeling of these type of
> headphones in my ear.

I think the noise cancelling Airpods Pro 2 require a more secure seal
on the ear canal to make the cancellation work. I didn't think I'd like
the feel, but having got them, they don't bother me, and it comes with
4 different sizes of ear cushions.

-Owen