Execute every act of thy life as though it were thy last. -- Marcus Aurelius

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / OT: Who is Melmoth?

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Who is Melmoth?Dan Koren
`* Re: OT: Who is Melmoth?Pluted Pup
 +- Re: OT: Who is Melmoth?Lawrence Kart
 `- Re: OT: Who is Melmoth?Todd M. McComb

1
OT: Who is Melmoth?

<ee239066-9b5d-4efc-a1c0-78e8e04dbbe3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57510&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57510

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 01:24:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: OT: Who is Melmoth?
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 08:24 UTC

Melmoth is a legendary figure who appears in many different forms in literature and folklore. The most famous version of Melmoth is the titular character of Charles Maturin's 1820 Gothic novel Melmoth the Wanderer. In this novel, Melmoth is a scholar who sells his soul to the devil in exchange for 150 extra years of life. He then spends the rest of his days searching for someone to take his place in the pact.

Melmoth has been interpreted in many different ways. Some see him as a symbol of the human condition, trapped in a cycle of sin and redemption. Others see him as a warning against the dangers of temptation and despair. Still others see him as a tragic figure, doomed to wander the earth for all eternity.

No matter how you interpret Melmoth, he is a fascinating and complex character who has captured the imaginations of readers for centuries.

Here are some other versions of Melmoth:

* In the 19th century, Melmoth was often depicted as a male character. However, in recent years, there have been more and more female versions of Melmoth.
* Melmoth has also been portrayed as a vampire, a werewolf, and even a robot.
* Melmoth has appeared in many different genres of literature, including Gothic novels, horror stories, and even children's books.
* Melmoth has also been adapted into films, television shows, and even operas.

No matter what form he takes, Melmoth is always a powerful and disturbing figure. He is a reminder of the dark side of human nature, and the dangers of temptation and despair.

Melmoth, what sez you?

Thx!

dk

Re: OT: Who is Melmoth?

<0001HW.2A2BDA130034B10F30F78B38F@news.giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57534&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57534

Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 13:29:07 -0700
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Subject: Re: OT: Who is Melmoth?
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
 by: Pluted Pup - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 20:29 UTC

On Sat, 03 Jun 2023 01:24:28 -0700, Dan Koren wrote:

> Melmoth is a legendary figure who appears in many different forms in literature and folklore. The most famous version of Melmoth is the titular character of Charles Maturin's 1820 Gothic novel Melmoth the Wanderer. In this novel, Melmoth is a scholar who sells his soul to the devil in exchange for 150 extra years of life. He then spends the rest of his days searching for someone to take his place in the pact.
>
> Melmoth has been interpreted in many different ways. Some see him as a symbol of the human condition, trapped in a cycle of sin and redemption. Others see him as a warning against the dangers of temptation and despair. Still others see him as a tragic figure, doomed to wander the earth for all eternity.
>
> No matter how you interpret Melmoth, he is a fascinating and complex character who has captured the imaginations of readers for centuries.
>
> Here are some other versions of Melmoth:
>
> * In the 19th century, Melmoth was often depicted as a male character. However, in recent years, there have been more and more female versions of Melmoth.
> * Melmoth has also been portrayed as a vampire, a werewolf, and even a robot.
> * Melmoth has appeared in many different genres of literature, including Gothic novels, horror stories, and even children's books.
> * Melmoth has also been adapted into films, television shows, and even operas.
>
> No matter what form he takes, Melmoth is always a powerful and disturbing figure. He is a reminder of the dark side of human nature, and the dangers of temptation and despair.
>
> Melmoth, what sez you?

Perhaps Melmoth wonders if you are to dump "AI" garbage on
the newsgroup like Gggg? The Bing Google web searchers
are bad enough with their shallow results and reducing
it further to "AI" is just more of the same.

Re: OT: Who is Melmoth?

<1aa44974-ffdb-4312-9da8-b1eabc3758c3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57536&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57536

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 14:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: lkart...@gmail.com (Lawrence Kart)
 by: Lawrence Kart - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 21:42 UTC

On Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 3:29:21 PM UTC-5, Pluted Pup wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jun 2023 01:24:28 -0700, Dan Koren wrote:
>
> > Melmoth is a legendary figure who appears in many different forms in literature and folklore. The most famous version of Melmoth is the titular character of Charles Maturin's 1820 Gothic novel Melmoth the Wanderer. In this novel, Melmoth is a scholar who sells his soul to the devil in exchange for 150 extra years of life. He then spends the rest of his days searching for someone to take his place in the pact.
> >
> > Melmoth has been interpreted in many different ways. Some see him as a symbol of the human condition, trapped in a cycle of sin and redemption. Others see him as a warning against the dangers of temptation and despair. Still others see him as a tragic figure, doomed to wander the earth for all eternity.
> >
> > No matter how you interpret Melmoth, he is a fascinating and complex character who has captured the imaginations of readers for centuries.
> >
> > Here are some other versions of Melmoth:
> >
> > * In the 19th century, Melmoth was often depicted as a male character. However, in recent years, there have been more and more female versions of Melmoth.
> > * Melmoth has also been portrayed as a vampire, a werewolf, and even a robot.
> > * Melmoth has appeared in many different genres of literature, including Gothic novels, horror stories, and even children's books.
> > * Melmoth has also been adapted into films, television shows, and even operas.
> >
> > No matter what form he takes, Melmoth is always a powerful and disturbing figure. He is a reminder of the dark side of human nature, and the dangers of temptation and despair.
> >
> > Melmoth, what sez you?
> Perhaps Melmoth wonders if you are to dump "AI" garbage on
> the newsgroup like Gggg? The Bing Google web searchers
> are bad enough with their shallow results and reducing
> it further to "AI" is just more of the same

I have a copy of the Maturin novel.Looks very interesting but also very dense.

Re: OT: Who is Melmoth?

<u5h0av$pnf$1@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57545&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57545

From: mcc...@medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 03:27:27 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: todd@pangkur.medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
 by: Todd M. McComb - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 03:27 UTC

In article <0001HW.2A2BDA130034B10F30F78B38F@news.giganews.com>,
Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:
>... if you are to dump "AI" garbage on the newsgroup like Gggg?

I do feel it needs acknowledging that both of these guys are now
posting AI spew to the group, totally unprompted. 8g's was even
posting endlessly about tech dystopias, and now he's posting their
crap straight up? Maybe, like the movies, they got to him with
mind control....