Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 20:50:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Best of Igor Markevitch
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Mon, 24 May 2021 03:50 UTC

On Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 8:20:16 AM UTC-7, M forever wrote:
> I have been "rediscovering" Igor Markevitch and his fairly rich
> recorded legacy recently. In the sense that I always knew he was there
> and heard some very interesting recordings from him, but somehow it
> never occurred to me to investigate further until in a recent
> discussion, his Schubert recordings with the BP were mentioned. I
> looked it up and saw how much there is actually available from him, so
> I ordered some of the discs - the DG set "un veritable artiste", EMI
> GCOC, individual discs like PAAE and Rimsky-Korsakov works with the BP
> and Orchestre Lamoureux, and a fantastic recording of Symphonie
> fantastique with Lamoureux which for me was also a sort of rediscovery
> - I have never been too fond of the piece, but Markevitch' extremely
> lively and musically alert performance made me see it in a new light.
> I already knew his great recording of Beethoven 5 and 8 with Lamoureux,
> but even that I hadn't listened to for a long time before it was
> brought back to my attention by an online discussion.
> Amrkevitch combination of slender transparency with attention to
> lyrical lines and fine detail makes for a lot of great listening, so
> right now, I am ploughing my way through that DG box.

Concerning Markevitch's SCHEHERAZADE lp:

- . (The silken Festivo and Universo vinyl pressings, or the rarer 1963 original, are a reminder of how much we lost when digital technology rudely “superseded” analog recordmaking and Dutch-process vinyl.)

- I picked up the record from Goodwill last week for $2 in absolutely near mint condition. Listened to it twice over the weekend and am in rapture with this recording. The mastering on the record is superb and very much stage forward. I don't have an audiophile-rated turntable or stereo but it is among the best classical records I have purchased. It is not a heavy (think Bach or Beethoven) piece, but most delightful to relax and enjoy. I smiled alot during the listenings. Highly recommended to the collector or someone who wants an excellent recording of R-K.

Amazon customer reviews

Re: Best of Igor Markevitch

<7025fe15-84a0-49d5-bdb1-7f55863e6de5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42058&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#42058

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 13:04:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 20:04 UTC

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 8:50:33 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 8:20:16 AM UTC-7, M forever wrote:
> > I have been "rediscovering" Igor Markevitch and his fairly rich
> > recorded legacy recently. In the sense that I always knew he was there
> > and heard some very interesting recordings from him, but somehow it
> > never occurred to me to investigate further until in a recent
> > discussion, his Schubert recordings with the BP were mentioned. I
> > looked it up and saw how much there is actually available from him, so
> > I ordered some of the discs - the DG set "un veritable artiste", EMI
> > GCOC, individual discs like PAAE and Rimsky-Korsakov works with the BP
> > and Orchestre Lamoureux, and a fantastic recording of Symphonie
> > fantastique with Lamoureux which for me was also a sort of rediscovery
> > - I have never been too fond of the piece, but Markevitch' extremely
> > lively and musically alert performance made me see it in a new light.
> > I already knew his great recording of Beethoven 5 and 8 with Lamoureux,
> > but even that I hadn't listened to for a long time before it was
> > brought back to my attention by an online discussion.
> > Amrkevitch combination of slender transparency with attention to
> > lyrical lines and fine detail makes for a lot of great listening, so
> > right now, I am ploughing my way through that DG box.
> Concerning Markevitch's SCHEHERAZADE lp:
>
> - . (The silken Festivo and Universo vinyl pressings, or the rarer 1963 original, are a reminder of how much we lost when digital technology rudely “superseded” analog recordmaking and Dutch-process vinyl.)
>
> - I picked up the record from Goodwill last week for $2 in absolutely near mint condition. Listened to it twice over the weekend and am in rapture with this recording. The mastering on the record is superb and very much stage forward. I don't have an audiophile-rated turntable or stereo but it is among the best classical records I have purchased. It is not a heavy (think Bach or Beethoven) piece, but most delightful to relax and enjoy. I smiled alot during the listenings. Highly recommended to the collector or someone who wants an excellent recording of R-K.
>
> Amazon customer reviews

Can anyone recommend a Youtube upload of that?

Re: Best of Igor Markevitch

<afe6c0db-4878-4976-8dc4-cd5e63a91901n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=57679&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#57679

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:58:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 05:58 UTC

On Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 1:04:35 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 8:50:33 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 8:20:16 AM UTC-7, M forever wrote:
> > > I have been "rediscovering" Igor Markevitch and his fairly rich
> > > recorded legacy recently. In the sense that I always knew he was there
> > > and heard some very interesting recordings from him, but somehow it
> > > never occurred to me to investigate further until in a recent
> > > discussion, his Schubert recordings with the BP were mentioned. I
> > > looked it up and saw how much there is actually available from him, so
> > > I ordered some of the discs - the DG set "un veritable artiste", EMI
> > > GCOC, individual discs like PAAE and Rimsky-Korsakov works with the BP
> > > and Orchestre Lamoureux, and a fantastic recording of Symphonie
> > > fantastique with Lamoureux which for me was also a sort of rediscovery
> > > - I have never been too fond of the piece, but Markevitch' extremely
> > > lively and musically alert performance made me see it in a new light.
> > > I already knew his great recording of Beethoven 5 and 8 with Lamoureux,
> > > but even that I hadn't listened to for a long time before it was
> > > brought back to my attention by an online discussion.
> > > Amrkevitch combination of slender transparency with attention to
> > > lyrical lines and fine detail makes for a lot of great listening, so
> > > right now, I am ploughing my way through that DG box.
> > Concerning Markevitch's SCHEHERAZADE lp:
> >
> > - . (The silken Festivo and Universo vinyl pressings, or the rarer 1963 original, are a reminder of how much we lost when digital technology rudely “superseded” analog recordmaking and Dutch-process vinyl.)
> >
> > - I picked up the record from Goodwill last week for $2 in absolutely near mint condition. Listened to it twice over the weekend and am in rapture with this recording. The mastering on the record is superb and very much stage forward. I don't have an audiophile-rated turntable or stereo but it is among the best classical records I have purchased. It is not a heavy (think Bach or Beethoven) piece, but most delightful to relax and enjoy. I smiled alot during the listenings. Highly recommended to the collector or someone who wants an excellent recording of R-K.
> >
> > Amazon customer reviews
> Can anyone recommend a Youtube upload of that?

According to the following:

- This is, quite simply, one of the best-played and recorded accounts of Scheherazade ever made...

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Sep/RimskyK_Scheherazade_4829378.htm