Newsgroups: alt.tv.pol-incorrect,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.correct,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe
Subject: "Eternals" Signals The End Of Marvel As We Knew It
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 04:41:54 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:41 UTC

If �Eternals� is any indication, Marvel�s glory days are officially
behind it.

Some lovely world-building, full of color and light notwithstanding,
from beginning to end, the film is a mess.

The storyline centers on a group of immortal beings fashioned by the
great celestial energy god Arishem to battle deviants � neon, fiber-
optic dinosaurs that traverse the planet feeding on humankind. After
thousands of years, the Eternals have finally destroyed the last of
them, and are free to roam the world finding their own purpose, hanging
in bars, making movies, riding the range.

That�s what they�re doing when an evolved breed of deviant shows up,
setting them off on a journey for answers.

This sounds kind of fun. And I wish it were. But with the exception of
Kumail Nanjiani who offers, without question, the only real reason to
see the movie, the story takes itself far too seriously for fun or,
really, even logic.

Complicating plot twists surface and disappear and we�re never clear if
they were important to begin with. Someone is suddenly revealed to be
in love with someone else yet there�s been no foreshadowing to achieve
emotional impact. Characters� motivations, that we are supposed to
believe were forged through millennia, shift on a dime, but seem to
indicate deep religious faith is bad and will make you kill the people
you love.

Ultimately Eternals commits the one sin a blockbuster, superhero movie
can never be redeemed from � it�s dull.

The issue is primarily that Marvel is no longer content to make
entertainment. Now, under Kevin Feige�s new direction, it wants to make
commentary. It wants to be relevant. Instead, it often ends up
ridiculous, taking you out of the world of the movie as you begin
thinking about the kind of fawning, celebratory headlines Slate and Vox
are going to write about it.

The prime example is Arishem�s creative decisions in fashioning this
team of minor divinities: A Chinese woman, a Middle-Aged white woman, a
Hispanic woman, a deaf woman, an androgynous child, a Korean man, an
American black man, an Indian man, and, finally, a pair of Gaelic white
guys.

This overt rainbow coalition would have been fine if the film had
bothered to offer some utilitarian explanation for it. How hard would
it have been to throw in a line about needing to reflect the varieties
of humans, or some such superhero boilerplate? Instead, the
unaccountable diversity is taken as such a bedrock, unimpeachable good,
Zhao and team don�t even think they need to clarify it.

During my press screening, this perfect illustration of ethnic, gender,
sexual, and ability variety inspired my completely non-politically-
minded brother to lean over and whisper: So what then � even a cosmic
space deity is worried the woke mob will come after him if he doesn�t
get the representation right?

With �Eternals,� it seems clear Feige has officially won the struggle
for wokeness. The revelation that one member of the team is gay is no
quick aside Disney can easily disentangle to pass muster with Chinese
censors. He is black and has a husband of a different ethnic minority.
They dote in the suburbs over a little boy; they linger long in a kiss.

The same impulse to make statements also led Feige to tap Chloe Zhao,
an art-house Oscar-winner to helm this project. He and others at Disney
have celebrated it as a step forward in politics, not story-telling. It
shows.

The best Marvel movies have always come from the scruffy guys rising up
from the unrespectable genres of horror and comedy. Directors like
Taika Waititi, James Gunn, and the Russo Brothers had histories making
crowd-pleasers on shoe-string budgets. Zhao has a history of inspiring
deep think-pieces in The Atlantic. She�s done wonderful work as a
meditative auteur, but she�s a terrible fit for Marvel.

At times this striving to celebrate global cultures juxtaposed with
American progressive sexual ethics grows ridiculously obtuse and
contradictory. As when the gay Eternal decides to journey to the Middle
East, a land portrayed as a glittering, exotic gem in the desert sands.
Again, a joke from my brother, whispered a little too loudly across the
dark theater�The LGBT guy�s going to Iraq?! Don�t think he�s going to
like it there�

In short, this is a movie chock-full of important messages that are
ripe for lampooning by the very guys who used to be Marvel�s target
audience.

That�s not to say the MCU eschewed politics in its best movies � but
they were interesting politics that grappled with real complexity.

What responsibility do independent nation�s have to the well-being of
the rest of the world? (�Black Panther�). What are the best means to
combat religious fanaticism when you inhabit a tolerant, pluralistic
society? (�Guardians of the Galaxy�). What culpability do powerful
actors have when the law of unintended consequences ultimately come
home to roost (�Avengers: Age of Ultron�). Are bureaucracy and
government oversight a necessary evil or just evil? (�Captain America:
Civil War�).

Now, the questions are no more interesting or authentic than a yard
sign in an expensive, urban neighborhood. Full of virtue and self-
importance, signifying nothing.

Girl power! (�Captain Marvel�). Racial grievance! (�Falcon and the
Winter Soldier�). Patriarchy! (�Black Widow�). Even if your ideology is
in line with these preoccupations, where�s the discovery, where�s the
thrill in watching a gender or race studies lecture given by guys
dressed up in tights? It largely has the effect of reminding you, Huh,
I�m a grown woman watching guys dressed up tights.

This doesn�t mean, of course, that Marvel still won�t have some hits on
its hands with the old guard. Thor, Spider-Man, the Guardians, and a
few fan favorites�established before the political themes grew easy,
cheap, and flat�will still put backsides in seats, no doubt. But
Marvel�s natural lifecycle is drawing to an end. A long slow slide into
mediocrity and irrelevance has begun.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: "Eternals" Signals The End Of Marvel As We Knew It

<X6veJ.1886$no7.224@fx15.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5771&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5771

Subject: Re: "Eternals" Signals The End Of Marvel As We Knew It
Newsgroups: alt.tv.pol-incorrect,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.correct,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe
From: NOT-S...@idiocracy.gov (BeamMeUpScotty)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 06:40:54 -0400
 by: BeamMeUpScotty - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:40 UTC

On 10/28/21 4:41 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> [...]
> sign in an expensive, urban neighborhood. Full of virtue and self-
> importance, signifying nothing.
>
> Girl power! (“Captain Marvel”). Racial grievance! (“Falcon and the
> Winter Soldier”). Patriarchy! (“Black Widow”). Even if your ideology is
> in line with these preoccupations, where’s the discovery, where’s the
> thrill in watching a gender or race studies lecture given by guys
> dressed up in tights? It largely has the effect of reminding you, Huh,
> I’m a grown woman watching guys dressed up tights.
>
> This doesn’t mean, of course, that Marvel still won’t have some hits on
> its hands with the old guard. Thor, Spider-Man, the Guardians, and a
> few fan favorites—established before the political themes grew easy,
> cheap, and flat—will still put backsides in seats, no doubt. But
> Marvel’s natural lifecycle is drawing to an end. A long slow slide into

To be honest, it was never great and should have remained in comic books
and with the Marxist Propaganda oozing out of every super hero they
recreate as part of a woke Marxist cult, it has less and less appeal.
The actual idea is to entertain people, which is becoming less and less
a reality while the characters become more and more like virtue
signaling LEFTIST losers.

But then again I also don't play video games. Maybe the comics and the
video games are for people with virtual intelligence.

--
That's Karma

*The first rule of SURVIVAL CLUB is we talk about it*
We hate censorship. Never trust what Democrats or Marxists tell you.
Make them prove it with actual verifiable facts and science. And if you
didn't find the duplicitous lies in what the Marxist-Democrats told you
then you didn't dig deep enough. The *Gruber Doctrine* is the
Marxist-Democrat plan that says it's "to the Democrats advantage to have
a lack of transparency and then lie about everything".
https://rumble.com/vkt8ld-call-it-the-stupidity-of-the-american-voter-or-whatever.-how-libs-exploit-t.html

*The next rule of SURVIVAL CLUB is*
60 - Government doesn't create, it consumes what the people create.