From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies, rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: Dune: A Short Review (no spoilers)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:51:11 +1300
 by: Your Name - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 04:51 UTC

On 2021-10-21 08:16:19 +0000, Thor Odinson said:

> I saw Dune last night in 3D in IMAX. I've read the book at least times in
> my life and I've watched the 2000 Syfy miniseries several times also. I
> know every twist and turn of the story, so I wasn't expecting much new. I
> just wanted to see how Denis Villeneuve would tell the story.
>
> First of all, the casting was almost spot on. The only mistake was the
> gender swapping of Kynes, though the actress herself did a decent enough
> job.
>
> The cinematography was meh. Everything was too dark, too, dusty, too
> misty, too sandy, etc. In too many scenes, it was just too hard to make
> out what was happening and it became a distraction.
>
> Paul has a minor amount of character development, but he still seemed
> kind of whiny even at the end. Granted, this is part of a two-part movie,
> but after 2.5 hours, I would have expected more. The Baron Harkonnen has
> vey little personality. Oscar Isaac seemed to be phoning it in a little
> as Duke Leto. Jason Momoa's Duncan Idaho seemed to be having a good time,
> but then Jason Momoa always seems to be having a good time no matter what
> he's doing. Missing from the books is Princess Irulan and Feyd-Rautha
> Harkonnen.
>
> Finally, I have one last gripe. There are too many foreshadowing
> flashforwards which leaves the story a non-linear mess in some places. If
> you're not already a Dune fan, I think this will leave you pretty
> confused in some places.
>
> I give this movie a 3/5. I could have been better and I hope that part 2
> redeems part 1.

Get your pyjamas ready ... the snoozefest will continue. "Dune: Part 2"
has just been announced, with a planned release on October 20, 2023.
<https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dune-part-2-sequel-1235094974/>

Re: Dune: A Short Review (no spoilers)

<slf0t2$15n4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5773&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5773

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:24:02 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 20:24 UTC

On 2021-10-27 04:51:11 +0000, Your Name said:

> On 2021-10-21 08:16:19 +0000, Thor Odinson said:
>
>> I saw Dune last night in 3D in IMAX. I've read the book at least times in
>> my life and I've watched the 2000 Syfy miniseries several times also. I
>> know every twist and turn of the story, so I wasn't expecting much new. I
>> just wanted to see how Denis Villeneuve would tell the story.
>>
>> First of all, the casting was almost spot on. The only mistake was the
>> gender swapping of Kynes, though the actress herself did a decent enough
>> job.
>>
>> The cinematography was meh. Everything was too dark, too, dusty, too
>> misty, too sandy, etc. In too many scenes, it was just too hard to make
>> out what was happening and it became a distraction.
>>
>> Paul has a minor amount of character development, but he still seemed
>> kind of whiny even at the end. Granted, this is part of a two-part movie,
>> but after 2.5 hours, I would have expected more. The Baron Harkonnen has
>> vey little personality. Oscar Isaac seemed to be phoning it in a little
>> as Duke Leto. Jason Momoa's Duncan Idaho seemed to be having a good time,
>> but then Jason Momoa always seems to be having a good time no matter what
>> he's doing. Missing from the books is Princess Irulan and Feyd-Rautha
>> Harkonnen.
>>
>> Finally, I have one last gripe. There are too many foreshadowing
>> flashforwards which leaves the story a non-linear mess in some places. If
>> you're not already a Dune fan, I think this will leave you pretty
>> confused in some places.
>>
>> I give this movie a 3/5. I could have been better and I hope that part 2
>> redeems part 1.
>
> Get your pyjamas ready ... the snoozefest will continue. "Dune: Part 2"
> has just been announced, with a planned release on October 20, 2023.
> <https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dune-part-2-sequel-1235094974/>

Denis Villeneuve hopes to make it at least a trilogy, with the third
film being an adaptation of "Dune Messiah".
<https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1199305-dune-messiah-denis-villenueve-says-hopes-to-end-story-as-a-trilogy>