If God had not given us sticky tape, it would have been necessary to invent it.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

SubjectAuthor
* Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesZobovor
+* Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesBrian Nelson
|+* Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesZobovor
||+- Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesGustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats
||`* Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesBrian Nelson
|| `* Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesZobovor
||  `- Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesTravoltron
|`* Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesBrian Nelson
| `* Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesZobovor
|  `- Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesCodigo Postal
`* Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesEvil King Macrocranios
 `- Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak ImagesZobovor

1
Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<f32ee64f-0433-4e40-83ed-f24950976994n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4561&group=alt.toys.transformers#4561

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 16:30:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 23:30 UTC

Reddit is the only place I've seen the pictures so far:

https://www.reddit.com/r/transformers/comments/p25yrh/first_look_at_kingdom_pipes_and_silverstreak/

Pipes we knew was coming, of course. He looks pretty good. I'm greatly looking forward to him (I like his character so, so much more than I like Huffer, who is honestly a whiny little shit).

Silverstreak I was not aware of at all. He's blue Bluestreak, basically. What a delightful surprise! He's allegedly slated to be a Target exclusive, so good luck finding him.

Zob (so are Bluestreak and Silverstreak different characters now? Discuss!)

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<6ffb0c6c-a82e-4c80-a7f6-0a19fc623460n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5428&group=alt.toys.transformers#5428

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:29:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images
From: brianjne...@gmail.com (Brian Nelson)
 by: Brian Nelson - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 17:29 UTC

> Silverstreak I was not aware of at all. He's blue Bluestreak, basically. What a delightful surprise! He's allegedly slated to be a Target exclusive, so good luck finding him.
>

> Zob (so are Bluestreak and Silverstreak different characters now? Discuss!)

Alright let's dig into it, cuz Bluestreak certainly has quite a history. The toy that would eventually become Bluestreak has it's roots in Diaclone where he was available as a blue car with a silver hood as well as a silver car with a black hood. These would be intregrated into the 1984 Transformers line with basically no consistency at all.

1984
Bluestreak (toy) - an all silver car that was an original color scheme specifically for Transformers (famously, all catalogs, instructions, and box art and photography depicted him in blue)
Bluestreak (cartoon) - a silver car with black hood (some concept material hints that he may have been initially blue)
Blue Streak (comic) - um, I don't know. a mix of all three? (also, name spaced out per Budiansky's original notes)

Speaking of Budiansky, I seem to remember an interview where he stated that he had the toys in hand (or at least, color pictures of the toys) while he was coming up with their names and personalities. This makes a good deal of sense. Sunstreaker and Sideswipe's profiles describe toy features of each other, Prowl's mentions his shoulder cannons, Trailbreaker's radio-jamming broadcaster mounted behind his head, etc. Colorwise, a yellow and black robot became Bumblebee, a yellow robot became Sunstreaker, etc. There is a recent interview with Budiansky where he states that if he could, he would try and give names a double meaning of sorts, ie Ratchet references Nurse Ratched while also a ratchet would be used to repair an automobile. In this sense, it would make perfect sense for Budiansky to pick up a blue car, think "Bluestreak", and then model his personality after "to talk a bluestreak". Amazingly, in a world where reissues are all over the place, diaclone repaints are becoming more accepted, and obscure characters are stepping into the light, we've never gotten a true, Blue Bluestreak released as a Transformer.

1985
Streak (toy) - the same as the American version of toy Bluestreak, except renamed to Streak (possibly because somebody realized he wasn't blue, but no other changes were made to the box art or photos)
Streak (cartoon) - just assuming here, but I believe in the Japanese translation of the cartoon his name was Streak as well

2002
Streak (toy) - redubbed the anime version, now Streak is colored more appropriately akin to the animation of the cartoon with a black hood

2003
Silverstreak (toy) - and as we come full circle, the original 1984 Transformers toy is released but now renamed Silverstreak (probably for trademark reasons, possibly because he wasn't blue), with a few stickers that simply say, "Streak". Also of note is this is the first instance of the box art being modified. To make sure to add to the confusion, it was modified to anime Bluestreak, and the upper arms were erroneously colored red.

At this point, even though it seems out of control, it's still possible to squint your eyes, take a step back, and take all of this together as simply, Bluestreak. Yes, there are variations in colors and names and a few mistakes thrown in, but this was nothing new to G1. Jazz is renamed Meister in Japan, Rumble is blue in the cartoon and red as a toy, cartoon Blaster and comics Blaster couldn't be more different - and yet all of these examples we still only refer to them under the umbrellas of Jazz, Rumble, and Blaster. So is all of this Bluestreak as well?

Hard to say. Kinda like FIRRIB, the confusion has only grown since 2003. Basically every color combination (blue with silver hood, silver with black hood, all silver) has been released with the names Streak, Silverstreak, and Bluestreak applied haphazardly. Just scroll down the wiki page of toys and you'll see what I mean. Even the Masterpieces get in on the confusion. What's more, is that there is a heavy trend towards assigning multiple color schemes all new identities across the board. There's no more red Sunstreaker, there's Spinout. I'm sure red Bumblebee won't be far behind. I'm actually a big fan of this. It gives me a 38 years overdue sense of completion for characters and toys that might have been, I've got BadCube Sentinel Blaze next to Takara Sunstreaker and I love that they're the same, but different. Even with the same mold I can use history to distinguish them, Sideswipe gets a rocket launcher while Tigertrack doesn't - based off the original Kohara art in which Sideswipe might still have been yellow.

But can the same tricks be used for Bluestreak to reconcile all his past iterations? Unfortunately, no, not really. Well, at least, I can't - and I'll tell you why. "Well I'm tired of suckin' their vapor trails. I'll stop 'em!" "Ironhide, come back!" "I'll stop him!" "Bluestreak, no!" I've had this burned into my head for almost 4 decades. I can't in my head recolor Bluestreak to actually be blue, and I cringe if I try and hear Jazz yell, "Streak, no!" The cartoon will most of the time be the backbone of how I see these characters, and for me, Bluestreak will always be a silver car with a black roof - even if it doesn't make all the sense in the world. And he will have his dinky cartoon based launchers, so MP-18+ is a great representation (bonus points if we ever get cartoon accurate shoulders and legs)..

What about the silver car? Well, you're talking to a guy who has Reboost, and is actively thinking about getting X-Transbots Surveillant (basically Reboost with a red head) - so yeah, I'm going to lean towards making him his own character. It's nice that in this instance we already have an official-ish name that works, Silverstreak, and an official toy in the all silver scheme, MP-18S. To differentiate him a bit, he gets the big, toy accurate red launchers.

Leaving MP-18B with the only name that's left, Streak. In a nice twist, the Japanese-originated name Streak matches up with the Japanese-originated Diaclone color scheme. Since he existed for so long only as box art and photos of the toy, he would also get big, toy accurate white launchers. To be fair, he will always be Blue Bluestreak to me, so the name change is somewhat pedantic and somewhat frivolous.

Any more? Looping back to comics colored Blue Streak. To me, that's just comics colored Blue Streak. Even the official comics colors are all over the place, with consistency being on the very low end. An interesting point to mention would be who Zob calls Minefield. He's a dead Autobot in Beast Machines who is probably Prowl in comics colors...or Prowl in blue Bluestreak's colors...or he's not even that far off from Blue Streak's comics colors... To be fair, even though that little triangle thing on the chest is a Prowl thing, there are no wheels behind his shoulders, so it could be Bluestreak. But then again you could say that after Prowl returned to Cybertron he reformatted so he didn't need wheels anymore. But then again you could say that he had them before he left on the ark anyway. But then again you could say he never made it back to Cybertron because he died in the Movie.. Arguments for and against ad infinitum. Me, I don't think I'm ready for him. If he wasn't so close to blue Bluestreak I would give him more of a fair shake. But a caveat. If we ever get an MP Bluestreak v2 that is closer to the cartoon, and available in the blue and dark green concept coloring that surfaced a few years ago, I might be tempted to use that as my blue Bluestreak (excuse me, Streak) and then possibly accept Minefield as a mostly blue Prowl since then they would have a bit more of a difference to them..

I think that's where I would draw the line. Anything else seems more disingenuous. Sometimes it's fun to create new characters based off mistakes, but sometimes it just doesn't work quite as well. Anime Bluestreak with red upper arms like in his box art? Nah. Prowl colored like Bluestreak or Bluestreak colored like Prowl like many times in the cartoon? Nah. Bluestreak colored like Hound like on the cover of issue #11? Nah.

Bluestreak colored yellow? Hmm... Stand by for a post about how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go!

Would love to hear thoughts,

BN

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<e87661a2-6e95-40db-99c2-768658f7f087n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5430&group=alt.toys.transformers#5430

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 15:14:57 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 23:14 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 10:29:08 AM UTC-7, brianj...@gmail.com wrote:

> Alright let's dig into it, cuz Bluestreak certainly has quite a history.

I tend to think of the blue version of Bluestreak as the most erroneous of them all. He's the "box art Bluestreak" (or, conversely, "instruction booklet Bluestreak" since the 1984 instructions were in full-color) but nobody ever actually owned this version. The all-silver Bluestreak is basically "Hasbro toy Bluestreak" since this is the one you could actually buy.

But, for my money, I consider the silver-with-black-hood the true and correct look for Bluestreak, by merit of him actually appearing in the cartoon series. I love that they've done new version of the character with this look in mind. But, it was impossible to ignore the existence of the blue version (I mean, it was IN HIS NAME, for crying out loud) so I understand why that version has become so infamous.

I guess there's actually a fourth version, the Marvel Comics edition (parsed as "Blue Streak," as you pointed out) where the black parts of the toy are colored blue in the comics. He's the only version of the character in the media who was actually blue!
> Speaking of Budiansky, I seem to remember an interview where he stated that he had the toys in hand (or at least, color pictures of the toys) while he was coming up with their names and personalities. This makes a good deal of sense. Sunstreaker and Sideswipe's profiles describe toy features of each other, Prowl's mentions his shoulder cannons, Trailbreaker's radio-jamming broadcaster mounted behind his head, etc.

Yep. Jetfire's TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE profile talks about the independently-targetable guns mounted to his head, a feature the Jetfire toy had but that the Skyfire animation model did not.

> What's more, is that there is a heavy trend towards assigning multiple color schemes all new identities across the board. There's no more red Sunstreaker, there's Spinout. I'm sure red Bumblebee won't be far behind. I'm actually a big fan of this.

Same here. (Hasbro Selects Ladybug when?)

> An interesting point to mention would be who Zob calls Minefield.

I'm sure the Mainframe animators meant for it to be Prowl (probably using his white-and-blue Marvel Comics colors for reference, just like they did when Starscream appeared in Beast Wars). But, calling him Minefield is more fun.

> Bluestreak colored yellow? Hmm... Stand by for a post about how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go!

How about Bluestreak with a Bumblebee head, as per the "More Than Meets the Eye" pilot episode?

But, to turn this back around to the upcoming neo-G1 toy, if Hasbro is going to sell the blue version, they're almost certainly going to assign him a different name besides Bluestreak in order for him to be able to exist alongside Bluestreak. Silverstreak would work, I guess. I mean, Bluestreak isn't blue, so it would make sense that Silverstreak isn't silver...

Zob (I've decided the green Bluestreak from Marvel Comics is called Greenhorn, btw)

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<a1937877-3aee-4ae6-a26f-bd606fddbd7cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5432&group=alt.toys.transformers#5432

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 22:22:33 -0800 (PST)
From: pork.not...@gmail.com (Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats)
 by: Gustavo Wombat, of t - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 06:22 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 3:14:59 PM UTC-8, Zobovor wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 10:29:08 AM UTC-7, brianj...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Alright let's dig into it, cuz Bluestreak certainly has quite a history..
> I tend to think of the blue version of Bluestreak as the most erroneous of them all. He's the "box art Bluestreak" (or, conversely, "instruction booklet Bluestreak" since the 1984 instructions were in full-color) but nobody ever actually owned this version. The all-silver Bluestreak is basically "Hasbro toy Bluestreak" since this is the one you could actually buy.
>
> But, for my money, I consider the silver-with-black-hood the true and correct look for Bluestreak, by merit of him actually appearing in the cartoon series. I love that they've done new version of the character with this look in mind. But, it was impossible to ignore the existence of the blue version (I mean, it was IN HIS NAME, for crying out loud) so I understand why that version has become so infamous.
>
> I guess there's actually a fourth version, the Marvel Comics edition (parsed as "Blue Streak," as you pointed out) where the black parts of the toy are colored blue in the comics. He's the only version of the character in the media who was actually blue!

Bluestreak is silver, with dark gray hood and red robot parts. He is also completely color blind and just thinks that one of the random shades of very dark gray is blue. He may not even realize that everyone else sees color.

Silverstreak is blue, with a silver streak across his hood and roof.

It makes perfect sense, once you realize the Bluestreak is colorblind. It's all about the color of the streak.

I'm not convinced Streak of Blue Streak exist though.

> > What's more, is that there is a heavy trend towards assigning multiple color schemes all new identities across the board. There's no more red Sunstreaker, there's Spinout. I'm sure red Bumblebee won't be far behind. I'm actually a big fan of this.
> Same here. (Hasbro Selects Ladybug when?)

Obviously, she should be based on the Waspinator mold, with a Bumblebee head.

> > Bluestreak colored yellow? Hmm... Stand by for a post about how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go!
> How about Bluestreak with a Bumblebee head, as per the "More Than Meets the Eye" pilot episode?

Bluestreak in white, with a brown hood and roof is clearly Skidmark. It might actually be a nice look in a very 1970's way, though.

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<f3cc9042-28d7-43d9-8f92-6e9c139d8325n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5435&group=alt.toys.transformers#5435

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 15:23:37 -0800 (PST)
From: brianjne...@gmail.com (Brian Nelson)
 by: Brian Nelson - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 23:23 UTC

> > Bluestreak colored yellow? Hmm... Stand by for a post about how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go!
> How about Bluestreak with a Bumblebee head, as per the "More Than Meets the Eye" pilot episode?

I was thinking this when I was writing it and knew there was something that I was forgetting!

> But, to turn this back around to the upcoming neo-G1 toy, if Hasbro is going to sell the blue version, they're almost certainly going to assign him a different name besides Bluestreak in order for him to be able to exist alongside Bluestreak. Silverstreak would work, I guess. I mean, Bluestreak isn't blue, so it would make sense that Silverstreak isn't silver...

So, you're saying on the record that you don't consider the all silver mold a separate character? What would it take to sway you? What if, hypothetically, Hasbro realized what happened had thoughts of "introducing" a "new" all silver character in season 2 to advertise the toy they already had on shelves? He would even be drawn more like Smokescreen (possibly) and even further differentiated from black hood Bluestreak...

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<6883145f-3528-48c9-9cf2-d1bc6ff43c5an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5436&group=alt.toys.transformers#5436

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 20:23:08 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 04:23 UTC

On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 4:23:39 PM UTC-7, brianj...@gmail.com wrote:

> So, you're saying on the record that you don't consider the all silver mold a separate character? What would it take to sway you? What if, hypothetically, Hasbro realized what happened had thoughts of "introducing" a "new" all silver character in season 2 to advertise the toy they already had on shelves? He would even be drawn more like Smokescreen (possibly) and even further differentiated from black hood Bluestreak...

Yeah, a season two Bluestreak design would have been short and fat and would have been a much more literal interpretation of the toy than season one Bluestreak.

I think most of the various Autobots and Decepticons we know and love were probably part of a large production run. I drive a blue Chrysler Town & Country minivan, but I'm not under delusions that it's the only one in existence. I know there are more of them out there on the road somewhere. I think it's probably the same with the G1 characters. There were probably hundreds of consumer goods robots who resembled Mirage, for example. He came off an assembly line, so there's no reason to think his body design is entirely unique, or that only one blue one was ever made. The character from the show just became the most famous of these models. It's kind of like R2-D2. There are probably other astromech droids throughout the galaxy in the exact same color scheme, but he just happens to be the one we're familiar with.

So, if Hasbro was to, say, take the red Mirage from the Diaclone days and retroactively introduce it as an Autobot character, that's fairly easy for me to accept. From a meta perspective, we know he was potentially available as a possible candidate for the Transformers toy line, so it certainly *could* have happened.

It's a little different with Bluestreak because the all-silver version was already sold as Bluestreak. That's really hard to undo. It's a toy that hundreds of thousands of kids grew up with. And the all-silver version is so visually similar to the silver-with-black-hood version that I can see why they conflated the two. But, I feel like what you're proposing is akin to making purple cartoon Rumble a different character than blue toy Rumble, which kind of rubs me the wrong way.

I do think Hasbro is probably going to give blue Bluestreak a different name for marketing reasons. It's similar to how they assigned different names to the Modulator version of Ironworks from Siege, and then called the Micromaster version Irontread. But, I don't think of Irontread as a brand-new character, any more than I consider Refraktor to be different from Reflector.

Zob (my closet exploded and I spent most of the night putting it back together, so that was fun)

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<t2575m$1ov5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5774&group=alt.toys.transformers#5774

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:41:50 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 21:41 UTC

So I can't find Cliffjumper for the life of me, but today I discovered
a dozen Silverstreaks on the pegs. So that was a nice consolation prize.

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<9249b325-2695-45cc-ae6d-056c0dbc720bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5789&group=alt.toys.transformers#5789

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 15:49:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: evil.kin...@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 22:49 UTC

This new blue Silverstreak has Smokescreen's front bumper. The box art is misleading because the art of the car and the robot don't. But the product photography on the back of the box is of the Smokestreak car so they can't be accused of complete deception. It's disappointing. I wish they would have used the same mold they did for the black hooded Streak that was a Walgreens exclusive. Had I recognized this earlier I wouldn't have bought it.

Also I get a big gap between the driver side door and the driver side windshield in car mode. I can't panel massage it away. There is way too much clear plastic on this thing to force it comfortably. Oh well.

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<21bb0b31-1e47-45e0-bcda-17a6e192167an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5791&group=alt.toys.transformers#5791

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 21:12:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 04:12 UTC

On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 4:49:33 PM UTC-6, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:

> This new blue Silverstreak has Smokescreen's front bumper.

I didn't even notice that. Huh. I like that they're trying to mix things up, and not sell us the same toy over and over, but at the same time, this is one toy that should have been physically identical to Bluestreak.

Zob (still has a hell of a lot of unpacking to do)

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<ecbb7085-f961-4473-998d-4b576e3048ean@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7698&group=alt.toys.transformers#7698

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 08:19:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: brianjne...@gmail.com (Brian Nelson)
 by: Brian Nelson - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:19 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 12:29:08 PM UTC-5, Brian Nelson wrote:

> Bluestreak colored yellow? Hmm... Stand by for a post about how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go!
>

> BN

So I had just this fun thought (for well over a year), wondering where I (and others) would draw the line in terms of "adding" to their G1 collection (whether that be original releases or updated versions). I realize that it's hard to even start this conversation because everyone has a different opinion of what they consider G1 and what's important to them. For some, it's all the American releases 1984-1990. For others, it's everything America, Japan, and Europe (and maybe even South America) released under the G1 banner (well, I guess under the non-existent at the time banner). For others, it's just 1984-1987 cartoon. So this isn't meant to be right or wrong in any way, just fun. For myself, I've been more and more interested mostly in collecting excessive variants of the Diaclone cars, and wondering where myself I would draw the line of what is and what isn't technically part of G1. It started by thinking about Bumper, Hubcap, and yellow Cliffjumper - and then I thought it would be fun just to ride the yellow wave! Where do you draw the line?? Listed somewhat in increasingly going down the rabbit hole.

Yellow Bumblebee - At first glance I think everyone would agree that of course yellow Bumblebee counts. He's always been a yellow toy, fully released, and yellow in all media depictions. Well, technically he was also released in red both in G1 and his V1 Masterpiece. So maybe just 99% of his depictions are wrong and he's actually supposed to be red??

Yellow Scrounge - Took quite a left turn right out the gate but hear me out.. Scrounge was an Autobot on Cybertron in Marvel Comics. He had a full robot mode, alt mode, name, personality, and now he even has a toy - which will be more qualifications that most others on this list and thus more deserving a place on a proper G1 shelf!

Yellow Laster - A full Japanese release during G1 and present in the Victory cartoon. As we slowly start accepting Deathsaurus, Star Saber, the Dinosaur cassettes, Metalhawk, etc - I wonder at what point the floodgates will open up and instead of a 1989 shelf with just Micromasters and Pretenders all of a sudden all of the Japanese releases will have to be included.

Yellow Hubcap - Fully realized 1986 released toy, but a no-show on the cartoon and in the comics.

Yellow Sunstorm - If your only experience with Transformers ever was just the first few minutes of the cartoon, then Sunstorm would be as integral to Transformers as Bumblebee! In a way, Sunstorm was one of the pioneers of the retro-G1 movement when E-Hobby first released him in 2003. Fun trivia - that was closer in time to the start of Transformers than today! I guess his toy loses a point or two for being orange, TFWiki states, "his coloration is inspired by - but not wholly accurate to for a variety of reasons.." I'm not sure I know those reasons. I can wrap my head around paint aps, stickers, or plastic molded together - but that doesn't really explain the yellow to orange change. Unless they really wanted to make him different than Nova Storm.

Yellow Nova Storm - Speaking of, he's now in the cartoon and has a toy - which I think for a large majority are the two most important criteria.

Yellow Sideswipe (Tigertrack) - Another pioneer of retro G1 but this one has a bit more of a backstory - this could have been our Sunstreaker! Of all the Diaclone cars variants that we didn't get, I think this was probably the third closest after Blue Bluestreak and Red Sunstreaker. And in my head cannon, might have been the toy Shohei Kohara drew the first character model of Sideswipe from.

Yellow Cliffjumper - Like Bumblebee, is it a variant? Is it a mistake? Is it kinda sorta Blow-out? Unlike the embracing Tigertrack has gotten, yellow Cliffjumper has mostly (completely?) swept under the rug.

Yellow Bumper - "You think YOU were swept under the rug??!!" Besides a few comic appearances, I can't recall if Hasbro has ever even acknowledged his existence! Yellow and blue striped cancelled G2 Grimlock that only exists as a box art mock up (and maybe a toy hidden somewhere)? Sure! In fact, let's make you a new one! Bumper? Never heard of him.

Yellow Emirate Xaaron - I think I remember him saying he hadn't transformed in so long that he might have been fused - but I might be mistaken. If he did used to transform, it gives him a few points. If he didn't, it's hard to put him much higher than Custodiobot. Just a robot? BORING!

Yellow Rumble - The cassette variants that were part of the Decepticon strike force in MTMTE part 2 have been woefully ignored, but should have as much as a G1 desire as Sunstorm! (in my opinion)

Yellow Trailbreaker - Never realized as a proper Transformer as of yet, but certainly a Diaclone variant that could easily join the ranks of Crosscut, Clampdown, and Road Rage.

Yellow Tailgate - Seemingly a last minute deco swap with Hubcap, this was the only major color change from the Pre-Toyfair 1986 catalog suggesting that this was almost the release that we got.

Yellow Overdrive - While possibly not as close to production as Tailgate, yellow Overdrive exists as a prototype color scheme (I've got mine pre-ordered!)

Yellow Constructicons - One thing I've never really understood. Besides the actual 1985-1986 releases, everything else seems to be pulling these guys back to yellow - Diaclone, Milton Bradley, Classics, and G2. While color changes between Diaclone and G2 happened, not so much with the others. It's almost as if Hasbro changed it at the last minute and just never told anybody else. But any way you slice it, yellow Constructicons (by release) are more common than green Constructicons!

Yellow Shining Magnus - Ok, this is more of a joke. I actually google image searched this and it made my eyes hurt. It reminded me of an old page that listed obscure Transformers and when Nova Storm's picture popped up the description read something like, "Ak! Turn him off, turn him off!!"

Yellow Tracks - Released as a color variant in Alternators, how much weight does that put on a G1 version "existing" in that color scheme? Do you include the yellow version on your Alternators shelf or just opt for the blue one?

Yellow Bluestreak - Existing only as concept art for the initial version of the Fairlady Z in Diaclone. Well, and this amazing custom! https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/mp-smokestreak-yellow-diaclone-prowl-concept.1216205/ It's definitely got the least amount of weight behind it, but I absolutely love it!

Yellow Metroplex - And to end things off, I tried to think big. If Metroplex was released in yellow/gold - would you accept him as your G1 Autobot City??? I know, I know, depictions vary as to whether he was a part of or entirely or entirely separate from Autobot City. Oh ho! Looks like somebody else had this idea as well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WPww-U69Q

Whew! Sorry it took over a year to get this out, but I had fun with it and hope you do too!

Brian

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<71f0d1ab-3826-42cf-a50d-f17fd8566e3cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7699&group=alt.toys.transformers#7699

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 14:59:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:59 UTC

On Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 9:19:19 AM UTC-6, Brian Nelson wrote:

> Yellow Scrounge - Took quite a left turn right out the gate but hear me out. Scrounge was an Autobot on Cybertron in Marvel Comics. He had a full robot mode, alt mode, name, personality, and now he even has a toy - which will be more qualifications that most others on this list and thus more deserving a place on a proper G1 shelf!

I wonder if he'll ever get the Devcon treatment some day, and they design a toy specifically in his likeness. Throwing in Scrounge as part of the Hasbro Computron certainly sweetened the deal, but not enough to make me want the Hasbro Technobots more than the Takara Technobots. So, I still don't own that one.
> Yellow Laster - A full Japanese release during G1 and present in the Victory cartoon. As we slowly start accepting Deathsaurus, Star Saber, the Dinosaur cassettes, Metalhawk, etc - I wonder at what point the floodgates will open up and instead of a 1989 shelf with just Micromasters and Pretenders all of a sudden all of the Japanese releases will have to be included.

Well, Hasbro's certainly not ignoring the Japanese characters like they used to. I've got a Star Saber on my display shelf (that's a lie; he's in a box) and soon I'll own a Deathsaurus as well. That's kind of crazy. Really, though, it's good to look at them as part of a long-term strategy. The more they can milk out of collectors, the better!

> I can wrap my head around paint aps, stickers, or plastic molded together - but that doesn't really explain the yellow to orange change.

Somebody goofed. That's the only real explanation.

> Yellow Cliffjumper - Like Bumblebee, is it a variant? Is it a mistake? Is it kinda sorta Blow-out? Unlike the embracing Tigertrack has gotten, yellow Cliffjumper has mostly (completely?) swept under the rug.

In my little world, yellow Cliffjumper is Blow-Out and red Bumblebee is Ladybug.

> Yellow Bumper - "You think YOU were swept under the rug??!!" Besides a few comic appearances, I can't recall if Hasbro has ever even acknowledged his existence!

That Buzzworthy Bumblebee toy that came with exo-suit Spike seems to have been designed after Bumper. The vehicle mode, and especially the detailing on the rear panel, is basically a perfect match. The head is Bumblebee through-and-through, of course, which is unfortunate, but I think it was meant as a deliberate Bumper homage.

> Yellow Emirate Xaaron - I think I remember him saying he hadn't transformed in so long that he might have been fused - but I might be mistaken. If he did used to transform, it gives him a few points. If he didn't, it's hard to put him much higher than Custodiobot. Just a robot? BORING!

I very much want a Xaaron toy. I don't care if it's a Transformers R.E.D. toy, or a transformable mainline toy. They just need to make it happen.

> Yellow Rumble - The cassette variants that were part of the Decepticon strike force in MTMTE part 2 have been woefully ignored, but should have as much as a G1 desire as Sunstorm! (in my opinion)

I think it could happen some day. Now that we've got a good Studio Series version of Rumble/Frenzy, they just need to start churning it out in assorted Skittles colors!

> Yellow Trailbreaker - Never realized as a proper Transformer as of yet, but certainly a Diaclone variant that could easily join the ranks of Crosscut, Clampdown, and Road Rage.

Wasn't there a yellow Hoist as well?
> Yellow Tailgate - Seemingly a last minute deco swap with Hubcap, this was the only major color change from the Pre-Toyfair 1986 catalog suggesting that this was almost the release that we got.

Here's an image for those who don't know:

https://tinyurl.com/yellow-tailgate

I would have preferred this, I think. At least then Hubcap wouldn't have been so close to Blow-Out.

> Yellow Constructicons - One thing I've never really understood. Besides the actual 1985-1986 releases, everything else seems to be pulling these guys back to yellow - Diaclone, Milton Bradley, Classics, and G2.

Don't forget Tonkanator!

> Yellow Metroplex - And to end things off, I tried to think big. If Metroplex was released in yellow/gold - would you accept him as your G1 Autobot City???

Oh, I actually wouldn't mind this. Hasbro should consider it. Now that they've gotten the Ark out of the way, Autobot City is the most important playset that's never been officially released.

Zob (no love for yellow Megatron?)

Re: Kingdom Pipes and Silverstreak Images

<3e4fddfa-0d9f-4a62-8e8f-5b61194343den@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7704&group=alt.toys.transformers#7704

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:28:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:28 UTC

On Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 5:59:44 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 19, 2023 at 9:19:19 AM UTC-6, Brian Nelson wrote:
>
> > Yellow Scrounge - Took quite a left turn right out the gate but hear me out. Scrounge was an Autobot on Cybertron in Marvel Comics. He had a full robot mode, alt mode, name, personality, and now he even has a toy - which will be more qualifications that most others on this list and thus more deserving a place on a proper G1 shelf!
> I wonder if he'll ever get the Devcon treatment some day, and they design a toy specifically in his likeness. Throwing in Scrounge as part of the Hasbro Computron certainly sweetened the deal, but not enough to make me want the Hasbro Technobots more than the Takara Technobots. So, I still don't own that one.

The brand is going to ever-more obscure places, as with Devcon, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a second shot at a more accurate Scrounge.

> > Yellow Laster - A full Japanese release during G1 and present in the Victory cartoon. As we slowly start accepting Deathsaurus, Star Saber, the Dinosaur cassettes, Metalhawk, etc - I wonder at what point the floodgates will open up and instead of a 1989 shelf with just Micromasters and Pretenders all of a sudden all of the Japanese releases will have to be included.
> Well, Hasbro's certainly not ignoring the Japanese characters like they used to. I've got a Star Saber on my display shelf (that's a lie; he's in a box) and soon I'll own a Deathsaurus as well. That's kind of crazy. Really, though, it's good to look at them as part of a long-term strategy. The more they can milk out of collectors, the better!

Japanese G1 hits the sweet spot of obscure, but not too obscure, thanks to the Internet and Shout Factory's releases. It's nostalgia for something we didn't grow up with - you get the element of novelty plus nostalgia all in one, plus the exotic appeal of something from a distant land. Hasbro has certainly leaned into Japanese G1 recently: Star Saber and Deathsaurus for HasLab, PotP Overlord, Legacy Metalhawk, Leo Prime, and Minerva, and even the rumored upcoming Core Dinoforce. I think there would be more interest in Japanese characters that had significant media presence versus obscure Diaclone versions or cancelled repaints (Nightprowler is just not moving around here, despite significant discounts).

> > Yellow Emirate Xaaron - I think I remember him saying he hadn't transformed in so long that he might have been fused - but I might be mistaken. If he did used to transform, it gives him a few points. If he didn't, it's hard to put him much higher than Custodiobot. Just a robot? BORING!
> I very much want a Xaaron toy. I don't care if it's a Transformers R.E.D. toy, or a transformable mainline toy. They just need to make it happen.

RED has been one giant squandered opportunity. Where's Nightbird, Alpha Trion, and yes, Xaaron? Autobot Spike?

> > Yellow Metroplex - And to end things off, I tried to think big. If Metroplex was released in yellow/gold - would you accept him as your G1 Autobot City???
> Oh, I actually wouldn't mind this. Hasbro should consider it. Now that they've gotten the Ark out of the way, Autobot City is the most important playset that's never been officially released.

I'd love to see them release Autobot City as a multi-part project.

Haslab: Autobot City proper- a giant base playset that emulates the city as seen in TFTM, complete with bridges, transforming turrets, weaponry, blast shield doors, and giant missile catapults, with a large empty space that can be filled by...

Titan-class: Yellow Metroplex that in base mode, slots neatly into place in the Haslab Autobot City, plus...

Commander/Voyager/Deluxe pricepoint add-on bases/weapons/towers that could link up to it, a la Slammer or the Micromaster bases.

No matter which pricepoint you buy, you'll get something, but if you spend more, you get more...much more.