Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:09:34 -0800 (PST)
Subject: WORTH (film review by Mark R. Leeper)
From: mlee...@optonline.net (Mark Leeper)
 by: Mark Leeper - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 16:09 UTC

WORTH is a film about the September 11 Victim's Compensation Fund,
and the work of Ken Feinberg in assigning compensation amounts to
the victims' families.

Every year we see films released that tell of courtroom or legal
drama. This goes back at least as far as films such as INHERIT THE
WIND (1960) AND TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962), and even 12 ANGRY MEN
(1957). More recently, we have seen THE VERDICT (1982), THE
LINCOLN LAWYER (2011), BERNIE (2011), LOVING (2016), DENIAL (2016),
MOLLY'S GAME (2017), ON THE BASIS OF SEX (2018), THE TRIAL OF THE
CHICAGO 7 (2020), and THE MAURITANIAN (2021). Even if we limit
this to cases involving class action suits (or possible suits)
against corporations, we have A CIVIL ACTION (1998), THE INSIDER
(1999), ERIN BROCKOVICH (2000), MICHAEL CLAYTON (2007), and DARK
WATERS (2019).

WORTH uses two very good actors in a strong and even riveting
conflict. Michael Keaton plays Ken Feinberg, chosen to head the
compensation fund and Stanley Tucci plays Charles Wolf, leader of
an advocacy group, "Fix the Fund", who feels the formulas being
proposed are neither fair nor just. Together they strive to come
to an agreement on determining damage awards from the 09/11
terrorist attacks. If they fail and a class lawsuit results, it
could destroy not only the airline industry, but the entire
economy. The whole problem comes down to a deep philosophical
issue. When forced to name a dollar amount as the worth of a human
being, how can someone actually fairly assign a monetary value on
the worth of a human?

One touch that seems unrealistic, but is not, is that Feinberg
initially thinks this will not be a difficult task. It is hard to
believe that he would not realize from the beginning the can of
worms that that he was volunteering for, but in real life he did
underestimate the emotions of this event, and has said so since
then. The film includes heartfelt stories of victims, survivors,
and their families, and may be tough watching at times in spite of
its PG-13 rating.

Released 09/03/21 on Netflix. Rating: +3 (-4 to +4), or 9/10.

Film Credits:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8009744/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/worth>