You're not my type. For that matter, you're not even my species!!!

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

SubjectAuthor
* Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-PackZobovor
+* Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-PackIrrellius Spamticon
|`* Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-PackZobovor
| +- Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-PackTravoltron
| `* Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-PackIrrellius Spamticon
|  `- Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-PackZobovor
`* Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-PackTravoltron
 `* Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-PackZobovor
  `- Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-PackTravoltron

1
Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

<bfc7bf91-29ef-4036-9c7b-1992246045bbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5848&group=alt.toys.transformers#5848

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:19:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:19 UTC

I originally wasn't super interested in collecting these (where would I put them?) until it occured to me that they would interact rather nicely with all the various city-base toys and/or the Autobot Ark. Also, Walmart had them for $11.72, rather than the $20 price point that you'd typically expect to pay for similar sets (in the past, they've done Marvel characters, Minecraft, etc.) I think eventually Walmart will catch onto their mistake and raise the price, so I suggest picking this up sooner rather than later, if you're at all interested.

So the set is pretty heavy on 1984 characters with a handful of guys from The Transformers: the Movie and nobody from season two. Twelve Autobots and six Decepticons comprise the set, and every figure is a single piece of solid die-cast metal, sculpted and painted in a loose approximation of their Sunbow cartoon models. The paint applications aren't as sparse as the Tiny Titans but aren't as generous as they could be, with a decent balance of making the characters recognizable through color mapping while still cutting costs where practical.

Optimus Prime is about two inches tall, and is painted with a metallic red that was also used for other red characters. Or, maybe he was painted entirely silver and then a translucent red laquer was applied. Not sure. His abdomen is weirdly long, and his arms are weirdly short. The smokestacks have also been shortened so they don't poke out. The Autobot symbols on his shoulders are white. Honestly, he's pretty cool. Missing colors: the yellow details on his pelvis, the grey stripe under his windows, the silver gas tanks on his legs, grey toes.

Bumblebee is 1.75" tall and is very, very Sunbow. It looks like somebody was using the cover of Marvel's TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #1 for reference. He's got bendy straw biceps, but without the segmented sections. His helmet horns are round and nubby. Missing colors: Just the light blue windows.

Hot Rod is also 1.75" tall and is in a "put up your dukes" pose, though at this scale his fists are indistinguishable, tiny little silver blobs. His spoiler is very thick, but understandable at this tiny scale. He's very nicely sculpted. He's painted a glittery metallic magenta which looks really nice. Missing colors: The silver exhaust pipes on his arms, the orange headlights, the secondary darker magenta for parts of his helmet and pelvis.

Cliffjumper did get light blue painted windows where Bumblebee did not, for some reason (at least the rear windshield and front windshield, but not the side windows). He's the same metallic red as Optimus. His arms are black in their entirety, like the 1984 Hasbro toy, but his legs are grey, like his cartoon model. I'm sure this has to do with the economy of paint applications. He's in an action pose, like he's running and about to punch Thundercracker's lights out. Missing colors: The grey for his forearms, the light blue side windows.

The Pretender version of Jazz had almost all black robot parts when he needed more white. This version is almost all white and needs a lot more black.. The entire figure is white with black paint only on the pelvis, head, shoulders, and fists. He doesn't look bad, but he needs more color. Also, they painted the top of his bumper red instead of the bottom. They also used the same dark blue paint for his eyes that they did for his racing stripe.. MIssing colors: Light blue headlights and windshield and pelvis panels, black lower legs, grey feet and face.

Like Jazz, it looks like they started painting Prowl correctly but then gave up when they got to his legs. He's also all-white, with black paint only on the pelvis and forearms and his entire back. This is almost Tiny Titans level of paint deco. Missing colors: White roof, blue windshield and leg windows and headlights, grey upper legs, black toes, red police lights.

Sideswipe is in a semi-crouching pose and clutching his weapon, and kind of reminds me of the 3" Titanium Series figure they did of Alternators Smokescreen. His gun is blocking the center of his chest, so he got a tiny white Autobot symbol way too high up on his chest. Missing colors: White rifle and shoulder cannon, grey feet and rear tires, blue windshield on back.

Sunstreaker is shooting at somebody with a tiny little arm-mounted cannon, which I don't think he ever used in the cartoon. Maybe it's the same tiny cannon that popped out of his roof in the pilot episode. His figurine is the same height as Bumblebee, but he's also crouching so he's probably "really" a bit taller. Missing colors: Grey rocket booster on back, blue windows (and red shoulders, maybe).

Wheeljack is in a crouching stance with legs staggered, but this was part of his animation model and it makes total sense for the character. This tiny figure is painted better than the Deluxe-class Combiner Wars toy. He's got the blue windshield and the red and green deco on his chest in the right places, plus the Autobot symbol. They did very nicely on him. Missing colors: Green panels on his legs, grey shoulder cannon, light grey wings and mouth plate.

Arcee has her hands on her hips, which is probably good since otherwise her arms would have been too fragile. She's pretty much all white with some pink for the knees, pelvis, chest, forearms, and shoulder pads. She's also got some super, super tiny paint applications for her eyes and lips, and she looks mildly derpy. I cherry-picked the best set on the shelf, but they were all like that. Missing colors: Magenta panel on her abdomen, grey feet.

Ironhide is the same metallic red as Optimus, Sideswipe, and Cliffjumper. He looks angry, like he's really spoiling for a fight. They used silver to represent light grey parts and it works well. Missing colors: His headlights should be silver, and technically his upper body should be grey instead of red.

Ultra Magnus is the same height as Prime, but he's also hunched over a bit, so he'd likely be taller if he were standing erect. His color mapping is good, but he's missing his helmet antenna and that really hurts his look. Missing colors: White rocket launchers, red rockets, and white pelvis component.

Megatron is two inches tall. He's entirely a metallic silver with black paint on his boots, pelvis, fists, and fusion cannon. There's a little bit of red paint for his mid-arm sections, but not much. He's not awful, but he's not great. Missing paint: Red for the sides of the abdomen, grey lower legs, silver feet.

Starscream is also entirely silver, with a little blue paint on the toes and forearms, some red on the front of the chest and pelvis, and an orange cockpit. From the sides or the back, he's basically entirely silver and looks like one of the pewter Takara PVC figures. His arm guns are extra short, and terminate in little nubs. Still, I love how he's standing there with his hands on his hips like he owns the place. Missing colors: Grey knee vents and face and chest intakes, blue leg thrusters, red and white wing stripes, Decepticon symbols, his entire backside.

Skywarp is in a different pose, with one leg raised like he's taking off, and reminds me of the 3" Titanium Series version of Starscream. He's entirely black, including his legs and the exhaust coming out of his thrusters and his figure stand, so it's a bit weird. He does get some lavender paint for his toes and arms, and some silver for his face and chest and pelvis. He looks good from the front. Missing colors: blue knee vents, purple wing stripes and Decepticon symbols, the silver on his upper and lower torso as seen from the back.

Thundercracker is a reuse of the Starscream figure, in different colors. It's a metallic blue, but dark like the 1984 Hasbro version as opposed to the sky blue used in the Sunbow cartoon. His gauntlets are also black, instead of the grey used for animation. Missing colors: Red and white wing stripes, Decepticon symbols, black feet, anything from the rear view that's not blue.

Shockwave is also in a crouching pose, but his upper legs are weirdly long, like the Takara PVC version of Jazz, to accommodate the pose. He's a dark metallic purple from head to toe (different than the light purple used for Skywarp), with a yellow eye and silver on his upper legs and chest window. He actually does have Decepticon symbols on his forearms, but you can barely see them! His head is also weirdly large. Like, his ears span nearly the width of his body. Missing colors: Silver feet, light purple fist and gun-arm.

Soundwave is a bright, cheerful blue, different than the darker blue used for Thundercracker or the cornflower used for Ultra Magnus. His gun is mounted to his forearm, probably because it would be too fragile if he were actually carrying it. He's about on part with the 1990 Action Master in terms of color accuracy. Missing colors: Silver feet and knees and tape deck buttons, yellow knee vents, red wrist stripes.

All in all, this is a fun little set, and at eleven bucks, being a brand-new set, it's practically a steal. I can definitely see myself using these to populate various toys in their city mode (Metroplex, the Ark, etc.) at some point in the future. I also wouldn't mind seeing additional sets, especially ones populated more heavily with characters from 1985-86.

Zob (there are very silly clip-and-save graphics on the back of the package, and I'm debating how important it is to me to actually try to find what box my scissors are in)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

<d6bb5abc-7156-46f5-aa61-ac5cc000f236n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5854&group=alt.toys.transformers#5854

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 07:26:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 14:26 UTC

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:19:30 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> [...]
>
> All in all, this is a fun little set, and at eleven bucks, being a brand-new set, it's practically a steal. I can definitely see myself using these to populate various toys in their city mode (Metroplex, the Ark, etc.) at some point in the future. I also wouldn't mind seeing additional sets, especially ones populated more heavily with characters from 1985-86.
>

> Zob (there are very silly clip-and-save graphics on the back of the package, and I'm debating how important it is to me to actually try to find what box my scissors are in)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

<ed8f9722-11cb-47c4-a7ac-d007fe7a2a07n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5856&group=alt.toys.transformers#5856

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 09:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:30 UTC

On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 8:26:23 AM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> I didn't know they finally got to robots after making so many TF vehicles, but I just don't need them, especially with so many bringing standing and posing rocks in to my cityformer.

They're not for everybody. I do love wrong-sized versions of things, though, and these are even smaller than my Decoys. Also, they have a lot of potential, even if I don't stick them on a collectibles shelf somewhere. They could be playing pieces for the Transformers Monopoly board game. They could be paper weights if I ever find myself with eighteen Post-It Notes that don't stick any longer. So many possibilities!

> Someone brought a ReAction Stormshadow in yesterday and I'm more convinced now that these don't need to exist either. At some point it's just rabid consumerism.

I know there's a specific 1970's aesthetic that they're going for, like old Star Wars action figures, and on some level that's appealing. But it's weird when they do it to brands that didn't exist in the 70's, like Ninja Turtles, and it's weirder still when they do it for brands like G.I. Joe that ALREADY HAD 3.75" ACTION FIGURES. There must be market for the damn things, though, because they just keep a-churnin' them out.

Hasbro is also doing retro vintage action figures of characters from The Mandalorian or The Book of Boba Fett in 1970's kitschy style, and again, I'm not quite sure I see the appeal. Maybe I'm just not the target audience for these. But, if they started making 1980's kitschy Transformers that were deliberately designed in a really limited way like a vintage G1 toy, with two points of articulation and gaudy stickers, I'd be all over it.

Zob (we need retro vintage versions of Arcee and Unicron)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

<t3v0t2$fdt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5857&group=alt.toys.transformers#5857

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:50:41 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 19:50 UTC

On 4/22/2022 9:30 AM, Zobovor wrote:
> Zob (we need retro vintage versions of Arcee and Unicron)

I unironically want that clunky G1 Unicron prototype. Saw it once at a
Botcon. (One arm was mistransformed).

Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

<d0f36ecd-8243-44aa-9657-768684c6ef14n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5859&group=alt.toys.transformers#5859

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:47:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:47 UTC

On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 11:30:16 AM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 8:26:23 AM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
>
> > I didn't know they finally got to robots after making so many TF vehicles, but I just don't need them, especially with so many bringing standing and posing rocks in to my cityformer.
> They're not for everybody. I do love wrong-sized versions of things, though, and these are even smaller than my Decoys. Also, they have a lot of potential, even if I don't stick them on a collectibles shelf somewhere. They could be playing pieces for the Transformers Monopoly board game. They could be paper weights if I ever find myself with eighteen Post-It Notes that don't stick any longer. So many possibilities!

I thought at some point I'd find uses for the BotBots but only 2 so far, the pacifier and the rubber ducky can interact with BW Megatron. I know I do not need tin figures

> > Someone brought a ReAction Stormshadow in yesterday and I'm more convinced now that these don't need to exist either. At some point it's just rabid consumerism.
> I know there's a specific 1970's aesthetic that they're going for, like old Star Wars action figures, and on some level that's appealing. But it's weird when they do it to brands that didn't exist in the 70's, like Ninja Turtles, and it's weirder still when they do it for brands like G.I. Joe that ALREADY HAD 3.75" ACTION FIGURES. There must be market for the damn things, though, because they just keep a-churnin' them out.
>
> Hasbro is also doing retro vintage action figures of characters from The Mandalorian or The Book of Boba Fett in 1970's kitschy style, and again, I'm not quite sure I see the appeal. Maybe I'm just not the target audience for these. But, if they started making 1980's kitschy Transformers that were deliberately designed in a really limited way like a vintage G1 toy, with two points of articulation and gaudy stickers, I'd be all over it.

At least for The Mandalorian, and Hasbro's Marvel retro, they can fit in to a toyline that existed back then. Finishing out characters that didn't make it in the original series in the original style, as well as giving casual collectors a chance to get some of the original characters without paying collector's price. But also these are faithful to the original style, where Super7 just is not.

> Zob (we need retro vintage versions of Arcee and Unicron)

I'm surprised nobody is 3D printing and selling those prototypes by now. We printed 18 inch Optimus and Megatron figures at work, so it can't be impossible

Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

<1f452234-c8d0-4214-b4be-070513adbe82n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5864&group=alt.toys.transformers#5864

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 08:40:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 15:40 UTC

On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 5:47:32 PM UTC-6, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:

> I thought at some point I'd find uses for the BotBots but only 2 so far, the pacifier and the rubber ducky can interact with BW Megatron.

Well, clearly the BotBots rubber duckie is a must-have for anybody's Kingdom collection. Good old Thunderquacker. (I know that's not really his name.. But that's what I call him.)

> I'm surprised nobody is 3D printing and selling those prototypes by now. We printed 18 inch Optimus and Megatron figures at work, so it can't
> be impossible

Looks like people are way ahead of you!

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/g1-arcee-prototype-3d-printed.1201420/

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/g1-unicron-prototype-3d-printed..1202581/

Obviously, Hasbro needs to pair up with one of these enterprising fans and make this happen on a mass-scale. I would pay insane amounts of money for a molded plastic version of these, especially if there were cheesy G1 stickers on them. This would have been a pipe dream a couple of decades ago, but Hasbro is so in tune with the collector side of the fandom that I think this might have a slim chance at actually happening. Especially if they went all out with G1-style packaging to complete the look. It would be the toys we've all been waiting for since 1986, basically.

Zob (put over 100 Final Fantasy IV projects on a bookshelf this morning)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

<t5kqih$u2u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5984&group=alt.toys.transformers#5984

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 22:33:25 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Fri, 13 May 2022 05:33 UTC

On 4/20/2022 4:19 PM, Zobovor wrote:
> Also, Walmart had them for $11.72, rather than the $20 price point that you'd typically expect to pay for similar sets (in the past, they've done Marvel characters, Minecraft, etc.) I think eventually Walmart will catch onto their mistake and raise the price, so I suggest picking this up sooner rather than later, if you're at all interested.

I found them today and got a set. They're going for double that price on
BBTS, so it really does seem to be a mistake.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

<8b0b083c-092a-4979-a8f7-e147ec991303n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5985&group=alt.toys.transformers#5985

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 06:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 13 May 2022 13:19 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 11:33:07 PM UTC-6, Travoltron wrote:

> I found them today and got a set. They're going for double that price on
> BBTS, so it really does seem to be a mistake.

I'm really surprised Walmart hasn't caught on yet.

Zob (not complaining, mind)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on the Jada Nano Metalfigs Transformers G1 18-Pack

<t6pont$2mr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6055&group=alt.toys.transformers#6055

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 22:49:29 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Fri, 27 May 2022 05:49 UTC

On 5/13/2022 6:19 AM, Zobovor wrote:
> I'm really surprised Walmart hasn't caught on yet.

They finally caught on. It was $20 at the store today.