A real person has two reasons for doing anything ... a good reason and the real reason.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

SubjectAuthor
* Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsZobovor
+- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsZobovor
+* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsGustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats
|`* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsZobovor
| `* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsGustavo Wombat
|  `* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsEvil King Macrocranios
|   `* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsZobovor
|    `* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsEvil King Macrocranios
|     +* Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsZobovor
|     |+- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsGustavo Wombat
|     |`- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsCodigo Postal
|     `- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsGustavo Wombat
+- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsEvil King Macrocranios
`- Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, SkidsZobovor

1
Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<80375595-9d3a-480c-91f1-2dd3a243f2c2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5843&group=alt.toys.transformers#5843

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:11:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 00:11 UTC

These guys showed up at Walmart today, so I bought 'em. I did not buy the new version of Arcee from Transformers: Prime. The Deluxes ship two characters per box in a case of eight. Interestingly, the toys are in Walmart's computers as TRA GEN LEGACY EV, which is probably short for Evolution. At one point early on, it was reported that Legacy was intended as a trilogy and that the first chapter would be called Evolution, so it seems like that's how Hasbro solicited the name of the toy line to retailers.

Also, as a word of caution, all the toys are in open-faced packaging. There have already been reports of consumers taking toys home only to discover there have been weapons stolen out of the package. (All the more reason to order online, if you ask me.)

DRAGSTRIP

It was parsed as Drag Strip during G1, but now Hasbro is calling him "Decepticon Dragstrip." He's one of those characters like Wide Load or Beastbox whose name I can never quite remember if it's one word or two, and this is only going to muddy the issue.

Anyway! I honestly wouldn't have thought the Stunticons would get a do-over this soon after Combiner Wars. (2015 doesn't seem like that long ago, but in fact I guess it's been seven whole years.) I mean, not every single Combiner Wars release was exemplary, but the Scramble City characters aren't exactly top-tier in terms of popularity, so I figured Hasbro would have basically gone, "There, we did the Stunticons, now let's move on." But, evidently, they're important enough to get bigger, better versions. Hey, not complaining. If this means better, more cartoon-accurate versions of some of my favorite characters like First Aid or Swindle are eventually coming, then I'm all for it.

Combiner Wars Dragstrip was clearly designed and engineered with the intent of releasing him a second time as Mirage at some point down the road. Drag Strip was originally a Tyrrell P-34, a very distinctive vehicle with six racing wheels, making that specific configuration hard for Hasbro to readily reuse. But, I love that they addressed the character again.

So the new version stands at about 5.25" at the head. He's yellow, nearly from head to toe, which is accurate to both the G1 cartoon and the 1986 toy.. The head is painted purple and has the correct orange panels on either side of the helmet, and even includes the cute little nubs on either side. So much better than the head sculpt on the Combiner Wars toy. He's got a darker mustard color in places, like the canopy on his back, which is correct to his G1 animation model. (The darker yellow could be interpreted as shading, but he was consistently colored this way.)

You can tell a great deal of effort was made to try to make him as animation-accurate as possible this time. When Drag Strip was in robot mode, in the cartoon, the pair of wheels on each shoulder remained parallel with the ground. He's got an extra folding strut on each arm, to which a single wheel is mounted, to accomplish this. He also has a faux car engine inside his chest; it's just there to complete the robot look, and the real one, visible in vehicle mode, is split in half and is on the back of each leg. Just about the only thing that looks off is the way his airscoop splits in half, with each half mounted to either side of his head. (They pop off, but then the little ball joint pieces still remain.)

Drag Strip's animation model was weird. The G1 toy had the front of the car hanging off his back, but for some reason, in the cartoon he just had a big X-shape on his back. Seriously, check the scene from "Five Faces of Darkness" part 3 when the Quintessons trick the Decepticons into boarding their ship. I was hoping the new toy would have that X-shape—now THAT would have been incredible attention to detail—but, sadly, it was not to be.

He is armed with not one, but two handheld weapons. They're mostly identical in shape and size, but there are connector tabs so that they can plug together to form a single dual-barreled gun, like a Seacon.

His transformation involves the air scoop halves coming together, the head tucking away, the cockpit shifting position, and the legs collapsing. As with G1, the robot feet form the spoiler for vehicle mode.

In vehicle mode, Dragstrip is about 5.5" long including the spoiler. His robot head is stuffed into the driver's canopy so there's not a lot of room for anybody in there, though later I might try to find one of my Rumble toys and take a picture of him driving. His two-tone yellow-and-mustard theme carries over to vehicle mode as well, and I honestly love it. In the cartoon, Drag Strip's racing stripes went down the top center of the vehicle, all the way from the nose to the spoiler. The Hasbro toy instructions said to place the racing stripe stickers on either side of him, though, which was arguably incorrect, based on the way the stickers were cut. On the new version, Dragstrip's got racing stripes down the center as well as his sides, so no matter which look you prefer, he's got you covered.

You can plug his twin guns into ports near the rear of the car mode (about the same place where the fist holes were on the G1 toy, actually) and make a symmetrical attack mode. Curiously, Dragstrip doesn't have any translucent clear weaponry, which I thought was supposed to be a hallmark of the new Legacy series. Did somebody forget?

Curiously, there are no instructions provided on how to transform him into an arm (or a leg, if he can even form one this time) and no cross-sell images of the other Stunticons (which is probably wise since none of them are available at retail yet). Only a cursory logo, hinting at the shape of Menasor's head, and the text "1 of 5" suggests that he's part of something greater.

There has been much talk online already about Drag Strip's ability to split in half. If you press a recessed tab with something (like the tip of Laser Prime's sword), it triggers a spring-loaded switch and allows him to pop apart. We've seen in the recent Hasbro livestream that he's designed to do this so that the Menasor arm frame, formed from part of Motormaster's trailer, can still exhibit a full range of articulation even with Drag Strip connected in place.

I love this guy so much. They really did him justice, and I'm excited about what this means for the other Stunticons. Breakdown was acceptable during the Combiner Wars days, but none of the other Stunticons really looked right. We've seen what Legacy Motormaster and Legacy Wildrider are going to look like, and they're similarly impressive. I have great hopes for Dead End and Breakdown.

KICKBACK

Weirdly, both Kickbacks at the store today were already turning their heads to their left in the package. Not sure if they were like this on purpose or whether they settled somehow during shipping.

For some reason, it took Hasbro a really long time to give us a full set of all three Insecticons last time. We got Shrapnel for Generations in 2014, but we didn't get Bombshell until Combiner Wars in 2015 and Kickback until Titans Return in 2017. They were tiny Legends-class toys, though, and due to their releases being so widely staggered, each of them had a totally different gimmick (Shrapnel came with a Targetmaster version of Reflector; Bombshell himself turned into a gun; and Kickback had a cockpit for a Titan Master).

Now that Hasbro is actively focusing on the relative scale of characters, though, it made sense to release the Insecticons at the Deluxe price point. The Insecticons weren't as small as Rumble/Frenzy, but they were bigger than the smallest Mini Autobots like Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. So, I'm glad we're finally getting larger versions of them. It would be great if they could pull double-duty as the 1985 Deluxe Insecticons, too. (Ransack was similar in design to Kickback; Shrapnel could be repurposed as Chop Shop. If they retooled Bombshell into Barrage, then that would just leave Venom.)

Anyway! Kickback is 5" at the head, with his antenna adding another quarter-inch or so. The insect antennas on either side of his head are nice and rubbery, which I like (the ones on the G1 toy were hard plastic, and were notoriously fragile). His chest panel is translucent plastic, but does not open up like the G1 version did. It looks like there's a hinge, but there are tabs that keep it locked in place. His wings are translucent as well.

Even though there don't seem to be Weaponizers in this toy line just yet, Kickback is designed to be C.O.M.B.A.T.-ready and has peg-holes in the forearms, shoulders, his back, the sides of his legs, and the bottoms of his feet. (Then again, we don't know what the Energon Monsters are just yet. That could be some kind of new Modulator style toy.)

In addition to his machine gun, Kickback also comes with two blades, which are translucent plastic and tinted purple. The instructions suggest various uses—plugged into the sides of his robot arms, carrying them like swords, or bolstering his own insect wings—but I think their true intended purpose is to complete the missing thorax for his insect mode. You can plug one or both of them into the gap between his rear legs, making him more entymologically authentic. I kind of liked the blast effects better. They were more versatile. You could use them on literally any toy. These weird wing-shaped things only really work for Kickback.

You don't even need the instructions. Just throw them away. His transformation is G1. Well, there are a couple of minor tweaks. There's a new flip-up panel which can cover his robot face, which is nice (but not entirely necessary, to be honest, since you could totally see his robot face in the cartoon, even when he was transformed).

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<e1a8b8c5-fefd-4795-b127-914e0425507fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5905&group=alt.toys.transformers#5905

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:40:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sun, 1 May 2022 02:40 UTC

On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 6:11:30 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:

> Drag Strip's animation model was weird. The G1 toy had the front of the car hanging off his back, but for some reason, in the cartoon he just had a big X-shape on his back. Seriously, check the scene from "Five Faces of Darkness" part 3 when the Quintessons trick the Decepticons into boarding their ship. I was hoping the new toy would have that X-shape—now THAT would have been incredible attention to detail—but, sadly, it was not to be.

Here it is if you want to see what I'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/Ll4Ep9norOU?t=1089

Zob

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<e1c7a705-4cc6-460c-b83b-7567dd5d5868n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6076&group=alt.toys.transformers#6076

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 13:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: pork.not...@gmail.com (Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats)
 by: Gustavo Wombat, of t - Mon, 30 May 2022 20:56 UTC

On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 5:11:30 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> KICKBACK
>
> Weirdly, both Kickbacks at the store today were already turning their heads to their left in the package. Not sure if they were like this on purpose or whether they settled somehow during shipping.
>
> For some reason, it took Hasbro a really long time to give us a full set of all three Insecticons last time. We got Shrapnel for Generations in 2014, but we didn't get Bombshell until Combiner Wars in 2015 and Kickback until Titans Return in 2017. They were tiny Legends-class toys, though, and due to their releases being so widely staggered, each of them had a totally different gimmick (Shrapnel came with a Targetmaster version of Reflector; Bombshell himself turned into a gun; and Kickback had a cockpit for a Titan Master).

Despite the different gimmicks, they work very well together, except for different purples. The Insecticons really needed better color matching. I had been hoping that they would be re-released as a set with matching colors, but nope...
> Now that Hasbro is actively focusing on the relative scale of characters, though, it made sense to release the Insecticons at the Deluxe price point.. The Insecticons weren't as small as Rumble/Frenzy, but they were bigger than the smallest Mini Autobots like Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. So, I'm glad we're finally getting larger versions of them. It would be great if they could pull double-duty as the 1985 Deluxe Insecticons, too. (Ransack was similar in design to Kickback; Shrapnel could be repurposed as Chop Shop. If they retooled Bombshell into Barrage, then that would just leave Venom.)

Kickback feels a little too large, honestly. I think Deluxe is a better choice than core, but a little smaller would be better.

> Anyway! Kickback is 5" at the head, with his antenna adding another quarter-inch or so. The insect antennas on either side of his head are nice and rubbery, which I like (the ones on the G1 toy were hard plastic, and were notoriously fragile). His chest panel is translucent plastic, but does not open up like the G1 version did. It looks like there's a hinge, but there are tabs that keep it locked in place. His wings are translucent as well.

The translucent chest should have had the interior sculpted better, as they did the silver-on-the-inside trick. Bring out more faux mechanical details with sharp lines, rather than the weirdly organic looking curves.

The clear wings kind of bother me -- for a toy that is trying to be cartoon/toy accurate to 1984-5, it's a big change. Either go for a strict homage, or don't.

> Even though there don't seem to be Weaponizers in this toy line just yet, Kickback is designed to be C.O.M.B.A.T.-ready and has peg-holes in the forearms, shoulders, his back, the sides of his legs, and the bottoms of his feet. (Then again, we don't know what the Energon Monsters are just yet. That could be some kind of new Modulator style toy.)

The Energon Monsters are Hitler, Jeffrey Dahlmer, and Jane Austin molded in clear plastic.

> In addition to his machine gun, Kickback also comes with two blades, which are translucent plastic and tinted purple. The instructions suggest various uses—plugged into the sides of his robot arms, carrying them like swords, or bolstering his own insect wings—but I think their true intended purpose is to complete the missing thorax for his insect mode. You can plug one or both of them into the gap between his rear legs, making him more entymologically authentic. I kind of liked the blast effects better.. They were more versatile. You could use them on literally any toy. These weird wing-shaped things only really work for Kickback.

The thorax is really needed though. I'm glad they were included. They are probably more necessary on Ransack than Kickback (Deluxe Insecticon means Thorax!), but it's a nice inclusion here.

(And, while the clear wings bother me on such a G1 accurate toy, these don't since it isn't required)

> You don't even need the instructions. Just throw them away. His transformation is G1. Well, there are a couple of minor tweaks. There's a new flip-up panel which can cover his robot face, which is nice (but not entirely necessary, to be honest, since you could totally see his robot face in the cartoon, even when he was transformed).
>
> His grasshopper mode is about six inches long, and looks a lot like an upscaled version of the G1 toy. He's honestly really great. His handheld gun can store under the grasshopper mode for safe keeping. The robot legs have a lot more articulation this time, of course, which means the grasshopper legs can move around a lot more, too.

I hope this is the last time they try to reproduce this design, as it doesn't work as well with the modern jointing. G1 Kickback's hips couldn't go out, so the grasshopper form was more stable. Maybe it just needs a few tweaks to the design to make it stable -- some cross-leg support, or folding the thighs into the shins?

Also, I'm 95% certain mine came misassembled. The teeny, tiny grasshopper rear feet are on the wrong legs, so the gaps are on the outside. At least he doesn't have two left feet or anything, so it's easy to switch around.

> I guess these are armybuilder toys, aren't they? I wonder how many Insecticon clones are a good number without being absurd. I suppose I'll shoot for three of each one, so I can have three main Insecticons and a swarm of six clones. That seems doable. (Guess that means I'm not canceling my Hasbro Pulse pre-order.)
>
> SKIDS

A lot of people thought that the jeepy thing in the Jurassic Park set was going to be a premold of Skids... and if it is, it's such a radical premold that I don't see it. I'll admit to not having played with both at the same time, but they seem entirely different. It makes me wonder if Comrade Park Vehicle or whatever his name was is going to get used again.
> Poor Skids was not an important Autobot in the cartoon by any stretch of the imagination (he only made two appearances, and in one of them he was completely demolished). But, he exists, and the previous Generations toy we got of the character in 2013 was not adequate by any means.
>
> In robot mode, Skids is five inches tall. For some reason, his cartoon model gave him splashes of color that his G1 toy didn't actually have—yellow headlights, orange fog lamps, and a two-tone color scheme with both blue and light blue parts. Hasbro decided to shy away from the sky blue, but we do get the painted headlights and fog lamps, so that's something. This toy has silver painted upper legs, which seems to be based on the color of the consumer-applied stickers on the G1 toy. His color mapping is pretty good, but I wish he had red-colored fists instead of black.

Given that there is a red plastic sprue, I don't understand why the firsts are black. I don't think there is a different type of plastic being used for fists and feet or crotches.

> The way he was drawn in the show and comics has his arms positioned unusually low on his body. This toy can be configured so that the shoulders are either high up, near his head, or lower on his torso as per his animation design. It's great to have options! He comes with two cartoon-based weapons to mount to his forearms (the G1 toy couldn't hold things; he had Insecticon/Aerialbot style guns that would slide over his arms) plus a translucent blue axe-like thing. All three weapons can combine together.
>
> My toy came mistransformed in the package, with the rear wheels already visible. They're supposed to fold down and tuck under his feet when he's in robot mode.

It's a shame that the front wheels cannot fold in too, to give him a Back To The Future Flight Mode. Not that he ever seemed to have one, but it would have been fun. And the reason he got so few cartoon appearances might have been that he was hovering out of frame.

My biggest complaint with this toy, though, is the clear plastic. There's a lot of panel massage getting everything together just right in vehicle mode, and it's panel massage with clear plastic, so I fear for his durability. Add to that the giant bright red strut that is visible through the windshield, and the silver legs... I think this is a toy that could really benefit from a Buzzworthy no-translucent-plastic variation.

They did a great job of matching the blue paint with the blue plastic though.

Overall, he's really fun, and looks like a G1 toy, despite being able to do non-G1 poses, like slouch his shoulders.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<e12a724f-2afd-48e9-9a8b-7b3af3d256a4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6079&group=alt.toys.transformers#6079

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 17:59:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 31 May 2022 00:59 UTC

On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 2:56:54 PM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Despite the different gimmicks, they work very well together, except for different purples. The Insecticons really needed better color matching. I had been hoping that they would be re-released as a set with matching colors, but nope...

The version of Shrapnel that came out during Power of the Primes was a better color match. But, yeah, they weren't really a coherent set in an aesthetic sense.

> Kickback feels a little too large, honestly. I think Deluxe is a better choice than core, but a little smaller would be better.

He's a little large. Slightly. Maybe these are the Nova Power versions of the Insecticons from "The Insecticon Syndrome." But, I'd rather he be a little too big than a little too small.

> The translucent chest should have had the interior sculpted better, as they did the silver-on-the-inside trick. Bring out more faux mechanical details with sharp lines, rather than the weirdly organic looking curves.

Yes, the interior looks blobby. That bugs me a bit.
> The clear wings kind of bother me -- for a toy that is trying to be cartoon/toy accurate to 1984-5, it's a big change. Either go for a strict homage, or don't.

I'm not in love with it. But, there's enough surface detail that the translucent plastic still reads as mostly opaque in most lighting conditions.

> The Energon Monsters are Hitler, Jeffrey Dahlmer, and Jane Austin molded in clear plastic.

> The thorax is really needed though. I'm glad they were included. They are probably more necessary on Ransack than Kickback (Deluxe Insecticon means Thorax!), but it's a nice inclusion here.

I got my insect anatomy all wrong. The butt end of the bug is the abdomen. The middle piece is the thorax. I feel dumb now.
> I hope this is the last time they try to reproduce this design, as it doesn't work as well with the modern jointing. G1 Kickback's hips couldn't go out, so the grasshopper form was more stable.

Yes, that's a regrettable downside of the added articulation.

> Also, I'm 95% certain mine came misassembled. The teeny, tiny grasshopper rear feet are on the wrong legs, so the gaps are on the outside.

I would check my toy(s), but I have a fat cat on my lap right now. The fat cat will cry if I take her off my lap. Do you really want my fat cat to cry?

Okay, now you've made the fat cat cry. I hope you're happy.

So, I know you don't look at the instructions sometimes, and with Kickback it's hardly necessary, but do you point the rear feet towards his front or facing back? Because I think they're meant to face behind him, and the feet are assembled with this in mind, so the hollow parts will be on the insides.

I own four of these toys now, because I want a big swarm of Insecticons. Never managed it during G1, so this will make the ten-year-old in me very happy.
> A lot of people thought that the jeepy thing in the Jurassic Park set was going to be a premold of Skids... and if it is, it's such a radical premold that I don't see it. I'll admit to not having played with both at the same time, but they seem entirely different.

There was no evidence that this was ever the case. People just assumed.

> Given that there is a red plastic sprue, I don't understand why the fists are black. I don't think there is a different type of plastic being used for fists and feet or crotches.

I don't get it either. I won't be at all surprised if there's a third-party fix for him.

Zob (it rained all Memorial Day, and I'm secretly delighted that nobody bought pools or water guns today)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<t748l4$9tu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6081&group=alt.toys.transformers#6081

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 05:21:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Tue, 31 May 2022 05:21 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 2:56:54 PM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
>> The clear wings kind of bother me -- for a toy that is trying to be
>> cartoon/toy accurate to 1984-5, it's a big change. Either go for a
>> strict homage, or don't.
>
> I'm not in love with it. But, there's enough surface detail that the
> translucent plastic still reads as mostly opaque in most lighting conditions.

Silver paint is easy enough. I might just take care of it myself.

>> The Energon Monsters are Hitler, Jeffrey Dahlmer, and Jane Austin molded in clear plastic.
>
>> The thorax is really needed though. I'm glad they were included. They
>> are probably more necessary on Ransack than Kickback (Deluxe Insecticon
>> means Thorax!), but it's a nice inclusion here.
>
> I got my insect anatomy all wrong. The butt end of the bug is the
> abdomen. The middle piece is the thorax. I feel dumb now.

I was suspicious, but didn’t bother checking, figuring “thorax” was close
enough to that part missing.

>> I hope this is the last time they try to reproduce this design, as it
>> doesn't work as well with the modern jointing. G1 Kickback's hips
>> couldn't go out, so the grasshopper form was more stable.
>
> Yes, that's a regrettable downside of the added articulation.
>
>> Also, I'm 95% certain mine came misassembled. The teeny, tiny
>> grasshopper rear feet are on the wrong legs, so the gaps are on the outside.
>
> I would check my toy(s), but I have a fat cat on my lap right now. The
> fat cat will cry if I take her off my lap. Do you really want my fat cat to cry?
>
> Okay, now you've made the fat cat cry. I hope you're happy.
>
> So, I know you don't look at the instructions sometimes, and with
> Kickback it's hardly necessary, but do you point the rear feet towards
> his front or facing back? Because I think they're meant to face behind
> him, and the feet are assembled with this in mind, so the hollow parts
> will be on the insides.

Not only have I made a fat cat cry, I tore apart a Kickback and put his
feet on backwards.

If it makes your cat feel better, I tripped over cat furniture and my 2nd
largest left toe is now a massive bruise and almost twice it’s normal size.
It bends normally, so not broken, just injured (three cheers for blood
thinners making bruising easy!)

Cats are spiteful, so she might like knowing that.

> I own four of these toys now, because I want a big swarm of Insecticons.
> Never managed it during G1, so this will make the ten-year-old in me very happy.
>
>> A lot of people thought that the jeepy thing in the Jurassic Park set
>> was going to be a premold of Skids... and if it is, it's such a radical
>> premold that I don't see it. I'll admit to not having played with both
>> at the same time, but they seem entirely different.
>
> There was no evidence that this was ever the case. People just assumed.

I wonder where the mold will show up again. It’s not a terrible mold, but I
can’t see any obvious uses.

>> Given that there is a red plastic sprue, I don't understand why the
>> fists are black. I don't think there is a different type of plastic
>> being used for fists and feet or crotches.
>
> I don't get it either. I won't be at all surprised if there's a third-party fix for him.
>

> Zob (it rained all Memorial Day, and I'm secretly delighted that nobody
> bought pools or water guns today)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<06cff8a8-0f5d-463b-8259-6395e8f28224n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6266&group=alt.toys.transformers#6266

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 17:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: evil.kin...@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 00:55 UTC

> >> Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> >> A lot of people thought that the jeepy thing in the Jurassic Park set
> >> was going to be a premold of Skids... and if it is, it's such a radical
> >> premold that I don't see it. I'll admit to not having played with both
> >> at the same time, but they seem entirely different.

> > Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> > There was no evidence that this was ever the case. People just assumed.

> Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> I wonder where the mold will show up again. It’s not a terrible mold, but I
> can’t see any obvious uses.

It kinda reminds me of Armada Red Alert. That's the only other truck with a hood chest that immediately comes to mind.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<45ac24b9-b00c-4448-b93c-3446d4c396afn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6267&group=alt.toys.transformers#6267

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 18:43:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 27 Jun 2022 01:43 UTC

On Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 6:55:12 PM UTC-6, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:

> It kinda reminds me of Armada Red Alert. That's the only other truck with a hood chest that immediately comes to mind.

Isn't it Deluxe-sized? That seems kind of small for Red Alert. The Armada version was a large toy.

It wouldn't make a bad G2 Turbofire. I'd buy it if it were Turbofire.

Zob (likes G2 far more than I have any right to)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<4bb869ce-3eb5-4688-a95d-54881a3b10a3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6298&group=alt.toys.transformers#6298

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 12:02:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: evil.kin...@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 19:02 UTC

On Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 6:43:59 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:

> Isn't it Deluxe-sized? That seems kind of small for Red Alert. The Armada version was a large toy.

I'm not as constrained by size classes as you are when it comes to defining a character. Remember I put all the different Sharkticons and Scourges from the last 15 years together on my shelves.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<0882c07d-4de6-4452-98e6-6025680c6328n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6299&group=alt.toys.transformers#6299

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 18:03:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 01:03 UTC

On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 1:02:28 PM UTC-6, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm not as constrained by size classes as you are when it comes to defining a character.

I mean, I was okay with the "everybody's a Deluxe" toy lines we were getting for a while. It wasn't awful. It reminded me of Marvel Comics, where Powermaster Optimus Prime and Scorponok and Grimlock and Kup and everybody were all the same height.

But once they started paying attention to scale in neo-G1, which is in some ways partly based on the relationships between the sizes of the G1 toys, I realized can't go back. (And now I have boxes full of obsolete toys that don't work as part of my collection any longer, like the Deluxe-sized Seekers and such. But, that's neither here nor there.)

Scale is important. Sometimes a character is largely defined by their size.. Bumblebee is the smallest Autobot, which makes him an ideal spy. Rumble's whole schtick is that he's "small, but tough." Optimus Prime was nearly twice as tall as most of the other Autobots in season one. His tech specs even describe him as the largest of the Autobots, which was true until Skyfire and the Dinobots came along.

Ever since I was a kid, I've always, always wished the G1 toy line would match the scales from the cartoon. The Dinobot toys were disappointingly small. The Constructicons were micro-sized. The fact that we're getting media-scaled toys now is amazing. It makes me very happy. I don't want to see them ever go back to producing Deluxe-scale versions of large characters now.

Zob (I guess Core-class Dinobots are okay, though, because I'm envisioning them as cute and adorable)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<t9rdcs$snh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6301&group=alt.toys.transformers#6301

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 06:36:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 06:36 UTC

Evil King Macrocranios <evil.king.macrocranios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, June 26, 2022 at 6:43:59 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
>
>> Isn't it Deluxe-sized? That seems kind of small for Red Alert. The
>> Armada version was a large toy.
>
> I'm not as constrained by size classes as you are when it comes to
> defining a character. Remember I put all the different Sharkticons and
> Scourges from the last 15 years together on my shelves.

Sharkticon make sense in different sizes because then you have families —
parents and kids, and sometimes an unruly teenager.

I have no idea how Sharkticons reproduce.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<t9rdd7$snv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6302&group=alt.toys.transformers#6302

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 06:36:23 -0000 (UTC)

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 1:02:28 PM UTC-6, evil.king.m...@gmail.com wrote:

> (And now I have boxes full of obsolete toys that don't work as part of
> my collection any longer, like the Deluxe-sized Seekers and such. But,
> that's neither here nor there.)

I still love the Deluxe Seekers.

Anyway, I am reorganizing a closet, and pulled out 21 plastic bins each
2/3rds full of transformers. Looking in is a fun mixture of “oooh, x-brawn”
and “eww, generations Ironhide” and “was there ever a good movie Ironhide?”

I may also have lots of toys that don’t work as part of the collection any
more. I bought a lot of movie ironhides, hoping to find a good one.

Or I may shove 14 bins, each full of transformers back into the closet at
some point. Might make enough space to fit most of the other bins into that
closet.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<2628f68a-4bd4-4163-b6a4-17d325d7cf92n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6363&group=alt.toys.transformers#6363

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 20:45:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: evil.kin...@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 03:45 UTC

I bought Dragstrip today despite knowing deep down that there's probably going to be a giftset in nicer colors somewhere down the road. I look at this figure and the only thing that pops to mind is Takara may do a more G1 toy colors version Stunticon set with bonus Legacy Blackjack and Offroad or something.

I never cared for the Stunticons as a kid and remember having that conversation on the playground. I thought Menasor looked bad and it may have been the first time I was vocally critical of a toy. That may have been the first time I didn't like a Transformer and it made me feel kind of odd. I worried I wouldn'tl be considered a fan if anyone knew I didn't like even a tiny fraction of the toyline. Nowadays the measure of a person's fandom seems to be how much they hate their interests.

On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 5:11:30 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> DRAGSTRIP
> Combiner Wars Dragstrip was clearly designed and engineered with the intent of releasing him a second time as Mirage at some point down the road.

I look at this Legacy one and I can't stop thinking that those sure look like Mirage's legs. But everything else from the waist up is so uniquely Dragstrip that a straight redeco as Mirage wouldn't be that interesting to me. Of course if they swap the upper half with an entirely new sculpt that would be great. Who knows. Even if all we get out of this is Crasher I hope they at least resculpt the head. Any reuse of the this mold begs the question of what the other Stunticon redecos may be. I don't think there was a Combiner Wars Crasher so maybe in Legacy they're going to subvert expectations and do an all GoBot Menasor redeco.

> When Drag Strip was in robot mode, in the cartoon, the pair of wheels on each shoulder remained parallel with the ground.

I always kind of wondered if the Combaticon and Stunticon animation models were based on some unseen prototypes or were just wild extrapolations on the part of the animators. Little design oddities like the Dragstrip shoulder wheel orientation and the shapes of the Stunticons' heads in the cartoon seem to point to them using a design basis different from the production toys. The closer these new toys get to animation accuracy the closer they may be to whatever the original models were based off of. I guess we'll never know why these quirks exist (until a binder pops up on ebay with pictures of cartoon accurate prototypes or something).

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<c05e9bf6-a14c-4d1f-ba52-5e802493966fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=6367&group=alt.toys.transformers#6367

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2022 22:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 05:17 UTC

> But once they started paying attention to scale in neo-G1, which is in some ways partly based on the relationships between the sizes of the G1 toys, I realized can't go back. (And now I have boxes full of obsolete toys that don't work as part of my collection any longer, like the Deluxe-sized Seekers and such. But, that's neither here nor there.)

The Deluxe-sized Seekers are still the best. It's mind-boggling that the ER versions managed to retain all the old flaws (no waist swivel, conehead kibble, huge torso gap in vehicle mode) while adding more flaws, like the needlessly complicated arm transform that the Siege seeker mold already solved, or the needlessly complicated leg transform that already worked beautifully in the original. If it ain't broke, Hasbro.

An oversized KO of the Deluxes would have been preferable to the ER Voyager downgrade, a figure for which the word "mold" seems appropriate.

At least they paid homage to the original release by making it nearly impossible to collect the entire team in one go.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on Legacy Deluxe-Class Dragstrip, Kickback, Skids

<37599fec-f818-4f45-a4b8-5f1587d7daf5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=7603&group=alt.toys.transformers#7603

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 09:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 16:20 UTC

On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 6:11:30 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> SKIDS
>
> His color mapping is pretty good, but I wish he had red-colored fists instead of black.

Damn it. I guess I need to buy Legacy Crosscut now so I can do another parts swap-a-roo, don't I?

Zob (really needs to get a second job or something to support my toy habit)