He is considered a most graceful speaker who can say nothing in the most words.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

SubjectAuthor
* 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro PulseZobovor
`* Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro PulseGustavo Wombat
 `* Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro PulseZobovor
  `* Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro PulseGustavo Wombat
   `* Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro PulseZobovor
    `* Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro PulseGustavo Wombat
     `* Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro PulseZobovor
      `* Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro PulseGustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats
       `- Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro PulseZobovor

1
1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

<caa691b9-9384-4813-bef5-a97d90a82e8dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5879&group=alt.toys.transformers#5879

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:46:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:46 UTC

You can find him right here:

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-selects-voyager-cyclonus-and-nightstick

As you can tell from the hyperlink, he does come with a Targetmaster this time. The color scheme is honestly kind of beautiful.

He's selling for $38.99 USD when an expected ship date of July 31, 2022.

Zob (still hates posting on mobile)

Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

<t4db71$10q2$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5890&group=alt.toys.transformers#5890

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:11:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:11 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> You can find him right here:
>
> https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-selects-voyager-cyclonus-and-nightstick
>
> As you can tell from the hyperlink, he does come with a Targetmaster this
> time. The color scheme is honestly kind of beautiful.
>
> He's selling for $38.99 USD when an expected ship date of July 31, 2022.
>

> Zob (still hates posting on mobile)

He looks great. Fixes the “g1 cartoon character was way too boring looking”
problem.

Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

<c0b95b73-05ea-43c6-bcdb-0f02b0a6f9b9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5903&group=alt.toys.transformers#5903

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:48:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 18:48 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 12:12:37 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> He looks great. Fixes the “g1 cartoon character was way too boring looking”
> problem.

There's something really appealing about that dark purple. I think part of it, for me, is nostalgia for the look of the 1986 toy, but it's also just aesthetically much more striking.

I had this dream the other night that there were a whole bunch of new Transformers toys that had come out, and that they'd been out since Christmas but that for some reason I'd forgotten to buy them. (I know. That doesn't sound like me. But dreams have nothing to do with reality.) After I woke up, I kept feeling like my subconscious mind was trying to tell me something, so I poked around through my Hasbro Pulse pre-orders, and it turns out I had never purchased the toy-colors version of Galvatron. I want the toy, so I have no idea why I didn't order it. So, he's on the way now.

With Hasbro now having done two out of three of the main 2006-era Decepticon triumverate, it kind of makes you wonder if a toy-colors, possibly-Targetmaster version of Studio Series Scourge is in the works...?

Zob (I'd buy it, of course)

Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

<t4li4o$cun$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5908&group=alt.toys.transformers#5908

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 08:59:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:59 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 12:12:37 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the
> Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
>> He looks great. Fixes the “g1 cartoon character was way too boring looking”
>> problem.
>
> There's something really appealing about that dark purple. I think part
> of it, for me, is nostalgia for the look of the 1986 toy, but it's also
> just aesthetically much more striking.
>
> I had this dream the other night that there were a whole bunch of new
> Transformers toys that had come out, and that they'd been out since
> Christmas but that for some reason I'd forgotten to buy them. (I know.
> That doesn't sound like me. But dreams have nothing to do with reality.)
> After I woke up, I kept feeling like my subconscious mind was trying to
> tell me something, so I poked around through my Hasbro Pulse pre-orders,
> and it turns out I had never purchased the toy-colors version of
> Galvatron. I want the toy, so I have no idea why I didn't order it. So,
> he's on the way now.
>
> With Hasbro now having done two out of three of the main 2006-era
> Decepticon triumverate, it kind of makes you wonder if a toy-colors,
> possibly-Targetmaster version of Studio Series Scourge is in the works...?
>

> Zob (I'd buy it, of course)

I would kind of like redecos of Cyclonus and Scourge as the characters that
they used to be. Not sure how well that would work out, and even if they
have decided who is who… they could be future versions of the characters
who have been cleansed of the contamination of Unicron or something.

Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

<f0bad1dc-0062-4ce7-901f-aecb54152e2dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5909&group=alt.toys.transformers#5909

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 15:08:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sun, 1 May 2022 22:08 UTC

On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 2:59:06 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> I would kind of like redecos of Cyclonus and Scourge as the characters that
> they used to be. Not sure how well that would work out, and even if they
> have decided who is who… they could be future versions of the characters
> who have been cleansed of the contamination of Unicron or something.

Well, Bombshell is purple with black, and Skywarp is black with purple. Cyclonus is also purple. I don't know that he would look all that different. Same with Thundercracker/Scourge.

I'm glad that they're finding ways to redeco the toys, but there are only so many times I'll buy them. Now, say, if they wanted to decorate them like all those generic background characters from "Five Faces of Darkness," I would buy ALL OF THEM. But something tells me that's probably not going to happen.

Zob (realist-at-large)

Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

<t4nu2r$fs4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5912&group=alt.toys.transformers#5912

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 06:35:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Mon, 2 May 2022 06:35 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 2:59:06 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
>> I would kind of like redecos of Cyclonus and Scourge as the characters that
>> they used to be. Not sure how well that would work out, and even if they
>> have decided who is who… they could be future versions of the characters
>> who have been cleansed of the contamination of Unicron or something.
>
> Well, Bombshell is purple with black, and Skywarp is black with purple.
> Cyclonus is also purple. I don't know that he would look all that
> different. Same with Thundercracker/Scourge.

Skyclonus would end up being an homage of Universe 1.0 Skywarp, from the
Deluxe BM Jetstorm mold. Mostly black, with the purple as an accent.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:TFU03-toy_Skywarp.jpg

Perhaps not as busy.

Thunderscourge would be boring because Thundercracker is boring.

Going the Insecticons route would give an excuse for the great Insecticons
color scheme to be applied to random toys, but I don’t think anyone cares
about the Insecticons, plus we saw them alive and well after TFTM.

> I'm glad that they're finding ways to redeco the toys, but there are only
> so many times I'll buy them. Now, say, if they wanted to decorate them
> like all those generic background characters from "Five Faces of
> Darkness," I would buy ALL OF THEM. But something tells me that's
> probably not going to happen.

Killing Jar Cyclonus.

I actually regret buying Sweep, as he just looks ugly. The bright blue
clashes with the muted grayish light purply blue.

It’s weird that the Sweeps never wanted to differentiate themselves, aside
from a few moments in FFoD. Just culturally weird that they would want to
not be viewed as individuals. It’s something I wish the show explored a
little.

That and the inevitable regret the Targetmasters likely had after giving up
independent lives to become accessories.

Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

<f26dcb4b-6ae4-44fb-b287-e7f44c253f7en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5914&group=alt.toys.transformers#5914

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 18:28:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 3 May 2022 01:28 UTC

On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 12:35:09 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:

> Deluxe BM Jetstorm mold. Mostly black, with the purple as an accent.

That toy was gorgeous. One of the few non-G1 toys I actually used to put on display.

> Thunderscourge would be boring because Thundercracker is boring.

It would have to be a deep, Hasbro toyetic blue. But even that might not look visually different enough.

> Killing Jar Cyclonus.

I made a joke on Twitter the other day that EVERY Kingdom Cyclonus will eventually be "Killing Jar" Cyclonus, since they're evidently all turning yellow...
> I actually regret buying Sweep, as he just looks ugly. The bright blue
> clashes with the muted grayish light purply blue.

I know Hasbro was kind of in a bind. If they sold the Scourge toy a second time in a package that said "Decepticon Sweep," the fandom would have cried foul.
> It’s weird that the Sweeps never wanted to differentiate themselves, aside
> from a few moments in FFoD. Just culturally weird that they would want to
> not be viewed as individuals. It’s something I wish the show explored a
> little.

I get the idea behind it, certainly. Transformers never really had proper army builder characters. Star Wars had Stormtroopers, and G.I. Joe had Vipers and such. Having a big group of identical nameless soldiers sort of gives the writers carte blanche to destroy them as the story requires. You couldn't really do that during season one or two of G1, because almost every on-screen character represented a specific Hasbro toy.

(Of course, Star Wars seemed to go out of its way to go, "Look, they're not even real people, they're just clones," and I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse. But that's neither here nor there.)

Zob (and TMNT solved the problem by going, "Look, all the Foot Soldiers are really robots" and made them the only characters Leonardo could actually cut apart with his katanas)

Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

<78161f4e-7ea8-4a77-a426-3a28bf352097n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5915&group=alt.toys.transformers#5915

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 19:57:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: pork.not...@gmail.com (Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats)
 by: Gustavo Wombat, of t - Tue, 3 May 2022 02:57 UTC

On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 6:28:36 PM UTC-7, Zobovor wrote:
> On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 12:35:09 AM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
>
> > I actually regret buying Sweep, as he just looks ugly. The bright blue
> > clashes with the muted grayish light purply blue.
> I know Hasbro was kind of in a bind. If they sold the Scourge toy a second time in a package that said "Decepticon Sweep," the fandom would have cried foul.

A light blue that matched the bright blue would have worked, but then you could't do the hand swap thing.

I mean the two blues on the Sweep toy just don't work well together. I wouldn't have minded a muted Scourge/Sweep and a bright Scourge/Sweep -- obviously they would never go near each other, but each would be fine on its own.

> > It’s weird that the Sweeps never wanted to differentiate themselves, aside
> > from a few moments in FFoD. Just culturally weird that they would want to
> > not be viewed as individuals. It’s something I wish the show explored a
> > little.
> I get the idea behind it, certainly. Transformers never really had proper army builder characters. Star Wars had Stormtroopers, and G.I. Joe had Vipers and such. Having a big group of identical nameless soldiers sort of gives the writers carte blanche to destroy them as the story requires. You couldn't really do that during season one or two of G1, because almost every on-screen character represented a specific Hasbro toy.

Except we had the Reflector Army, and the miscolored Seekers...

Reflector spoke all three as one sometimes (I think), so there was some hive mind thing going on there, but I'm positive the Seekers were meant to be in all sorts of lovely colors as different characters.

And Insecticons, but the Insecticons were not quite Decepticons.

> (Of course, Star Wars seemed to go out of its way to go, "Look, they're not even real people, they're just clones," and I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse. But that's neither here nor there.)

And then the Clone Wars show came along and gave the clones distinct personalities, and showed them differentiating themselves with tattoos, haircuts, paint on the helmets, etc. You see a bit of that in Revenge Of The Sith, where they have different color trim, but honestly, a lot of the non-clone characters also had no personalities there... but the CGI cartoon really makes them distinct.

Meanwhile, Sweeps are a nameless, undifferentiated mass. I assume that they drew lots in the morning to see who had to be Scourge for the day or something, but it doesn't feel like a thing Decepticons would do -- they crave individual power.

> Zob (and TMNT solved the problem by going, "Look, all the Foot Soldiers are really robots" and made them the only characters Leonardo could actually cut apart with his katanas)

If only Transformers did that with "Sweeps aren't really robots, they're organic things!" and showed them getting cut to pieces with buckets of blood everywhere.

Re: 1986 Toy Colors Cyclonus for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse

<593ea228-3808-4422-b559-511e112b4691n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5917&group=alt.toys.transformers#5917

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 20:11:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 3 May 2022 03:11 UTC

On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 8:57:17 PM UTC-6, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
You couldn't really do that during season one or two of G1, because almost every on-screen character represented a specific Hasbro toy.

> Except we had the Reflector Army, and the miscolored Seekers...

Reflector was less an army and more of a "three guys in one" gimmick. And the toy wasn't even designed to represent identical troopers, since Spyglass and Spectro and Viewfinder all had different designs and color schemes. (There were multiple Reflectors in the "More Than Meets the Eye" pilot, but it's the only time that more than three showed up at once.)

The Seekers are a little bit different, especially in "More Than Meets the Eye" when dozens of them were invented out of whole cloth, with no Hasbro toy equivalents. But, you still couldn't buy an armybuilder toy to represent them all, since they were all different colors. (I kind of wish Takara had done more G1 "reissues" of them besides Sunstorm.)
> And Insecticons, but the Insecticons were not quite Decepticons.

The Insecticons were probably the closest thing we got to true army builders during the first two seasons. I don't think the Insecticon clones were actually alive, and they never transformed to robot mode, but you could definitely buy multiples of the toys to represent them.

It looks like I'm going to be buying multiples of Legacy Kickback and whatever toy line Shrapnel and Bombshell end up being in. It's impractical to buy an accurate on-screen amount of them (they numbered in the hundreds or thousands) but I might do, like, two extras of each. Enough that I can put them in bug mode and have them swarm around on whatever shelf they end up going on.

> If only Transformers did that with "Sweeps aren't really robots, they're organic things!" and showed them getting cut to pieces with buckets of blood everywhere.

A lot of people assume that the Daleks from Doctor Who are robots. It's a little gross that there are little squishy things inside them.

Zob (cool, but gross)