Feel disillusioned? I've got some great new illusions, right here!

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)

SubjectAuthor
* CANDYMAN (no spoilers)moviePig
+* Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)trotsky
|`- Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)moviePig
`* Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)RichA
 `- Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)moviePig

1
CANDYMAN (no spoilers)

<TH5rJ.164861$IW4.42846@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5887&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5887

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Subject: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 11:23:14 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 16:23 UTC

In 1992, CANDYMAN managed to smuggle some surprisingly scary horror past
audience defenses on the back of a harmless kids' game: saying
"Candyman" into a mirror. (10 years later, THE RING would pull the same
sort of trick.) Today, 30 years later, the trick is probably too old,
so this new outing elects to saddle light-fingered community myth with
heavy-handed social archetype. The new production is, in virtually
every respect, quite handsome, but its scary edge is, well, dull. Only
minimally recommended.

Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)

<sphmdj$1f86$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5934&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5934

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 03:48:34 -0600
 by: trotsky - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:48 UTC

On 12/5/2021 10:23 AM, moviePig wrote:

> In 1992, CANDYMAN managed to smuggle some surprisingly scary horror past
> audience defenses on the back of a harmless kids' game: saying
> "Candyman" into a mirror.  (10 years later, THE RING would pull the same
> sort of trick.)  Today, 30 years later, the trick is probably too old,
> so this new outing elects to saddle light-fingered community myth with
> heavy-handed social archetype.  The new production is, in virtually
> every respect, quite handsome, but its scary edge is, well, dull.  Only
> minimally recommended.

Bernard Rose directed some great movies, "Candyman" either being the
best or second best. They only thing I had against the original is that
having grown up in Chicago it would have been better off it was actually
filmed there but that's a minor quibble. I haven't seen a need to see
the new one, as it just seems it's part of a trend to rehash old horror
movies for Gen Z or whatever it is they're on now.

Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)

<MT0vJ.135085$SW5.39510@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5945&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5945

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:10:51 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:10 UTC

On 12/17/2021 4:48 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 12/5/2021 10:23 AM, moviePig wrote:
>>
>> In 1992, CANDYMAN managed to smuggle some surprisingly scary horror
>> past audience defenses on the back of a harmless kids' game: saying
>> "Candyman" into a mirror.  (10 years later, THE RING would pull the
>> same sort of trick.)  Today, 30 years later, the trick is probably too
>> old, so this new outing elects to saddle light-fingered community myth
>> with heavy-handed social archetype.  The new production is, in
>> virtually every respect, quite handsome, but its scary edge is, well,
>> dull.  Only minimally recommended.
>
> Bernard Rose directed some great movies, "Candyman" either being the
> best or second best.  They only thing I had against the original is that
> having grown up in Chicago it would have been better off it was actually
> filmed there but that's a minor quibble.  I haven't seen a need to see
> the new one, as it just seems it's part of a trend to rehash old horror
> movies for Gen Z or whatever it is they're on now.

This sequel got enough buzz to make me risk the 90 minutes-- in this
genre anyway. The movie wasn't awful, but imo the buzz was misplaced.

Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)

<72fae27d-ab51-49bc-a7f2-f7eab9cf0512n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5959&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5959

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 01:16:16 -0800 (PST)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:16 UTC

On Sunday, 5 December 2021 at 11:23:18 UTC-5, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
> In 1992, CANDYMAN managed to smuggle some surprisingly scary horror past
> audience defenses on the back of a harmless kids' game: saying
> "Candyman" into a mirror. (10 years later, THE RING would pull the same
> sort of trick.) Today, 30 years later, the trick is probably too old,
> so this new outing elects to saddle light-fingered community myth with
> heavy-handed social archetype. The new production is, in virtually
> every respect, quite handsome, but its scary edge is, well, dull. Only
> minimally recommended.

The ominousness of Cabrini-Green, the idea of the near vacantness mixed with the presence of unfriendlies added to the feeling of the whole movie.
It played into the theory that public housing has a very finite lifespan before crime, neglect and dilapidation sentence it to the wrecking ball.
The sexuality of a white blond with a dominating black man (ghost or otherwise) is a Hollywood porn trope, but it worked to good effect in that movie.

Re: CANDYMAN (no spoilers)

<HYlwJ.137097$aF1.80259@fx98.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5961&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5961

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:58:45 -0500
 by: moviePig - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 14:58 UTC

On 12/21/2021 4:16 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 December 2021 at 11:23:18 UTC-5, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
>> In 1992, CANDYMAN managed to smuggle some surprisingly scary horror past
>> audience defenses on the back of a harmless kids' game: saying
>> "Candyman" into a mirror. (10 years later, THE RING would pull the same
>> sort of trick.) Today, 30 years later, the trick is probably too old,
>> so this new outing elects to saddle light-fingered community myth with
>> heavy-handed social archetype. The new production is, in virtually
>> every respect, quite handsome, but its scary edge is, well, dull. Only
>> minimally recommended.
>
> The ominousness of Cabrini-Green, the idea of the near vacantness mixed with the presence of unfriendlies added to the feeling of the whole movie.
> It played into the theory that public housing has a very finite lifespan before crime, neglect and dilapidation sentence it to the wrecking ball.
> The sexuality of a white blond with a dominating black man (ghost or otherwise) is a Hollywood porn trope, but it worked to good effect in that movie.

A fair recap.