All is fear in love and war.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

SubjectAuthor
* "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke PropagandaUbiquitous
+* Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke PropagandBTR1701
|+* Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Upanim8rfsk
||`- Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke PropagandBTR1701
|`* Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke PropagandUbiquitous
| `- Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke PropagandYour Name
+* Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up WithRichA
|`- Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propagandtrotsky
`- Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke PropagandOtto J. Makela

1
"Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

<sq4tme$sp6$32@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5970&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5970

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.pol-incorrect,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.correct,alt.politics.usa,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 11:49:18 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 16:49 UTC

"Get woke, go broke" is a popular adage in the conservative community.
But is there any truth to it?

Some critics are saying that the massive success of the new movie,
"Spider-Man: No Way Home," shows beyond a doubt that movie audiences
are seeking films with substance and heart, not woke messaging that's
nothing more than thinly veiled propaganda for Leftist causes.

And some proof they're citing is how "No Way Home" just smashed box
office expectations, raking in $253 million domestically opening
weekend, according to Variety. Before this, no post-COVID-19 film had
managed to cross the $100 million mark in just one weekend.

Others have tried, however. "Spider-Man's" monstrous success comes in
the recent wake of Spielberg's huge "West Side Story" flop that failed
despite an aggressive marketing campaign in Hollywood. Critics blamed a
surge in the virus with the Omicron variant going strong as a reason
people just didn't want to go to the movies. But "No Way Home" proves
there's something else going on.

Critics and fans both adore the latest "Spider-Man" movie, with the
Observer calling it, "An overflowing, funnel-web cornucopia of treats
for Spider-fans." A ReelViews critic said, "As superhero movies go,
this one offers its share of satisfying moments and is guaranteed to
warm the heart of any Spider-Man movie fan, regardless of when their
fandom started."

The consensus is that this film was made with the fans in mind and
differs from what Disney has done in the past. This is likely because,
technically, Sony still owns the film rights and creative control
despite being under the gigantic Disney umbrella.

And then there was Breitbart, who called out what many moviegoers and
critics were implying but not explicitly stating.

"Newsflash: If you make a decent movie that seeks to entertain and move
- instead of lecture and shame - we will show up," John Nolte wrote.
"`Spider-Man: No Way Home' does precisely that. You will not only have
a great time at the movies again, but there's no gay, transsexual, or
racial nonsense. This movie is about only one thing: Delivering the
goods."

On the whole, action movies tend to out-perform more thoughtful films.
But even these types of storylines have been suffering lately. "Black
Widow" bombed because of overtly feminist themes that superseded the
central narrative. "Eternals" had a similar issue because audiences saw
the extraordinarily politically correct agenda and rebelled against it.

Moviegoers are used to experiencing a point of view in the
entertainment industry; that's been woven into the fabric of Hollywood
for decades. But we've reached a point where sending a message has
become the singular message and that doesn't resonate with fans. At the
very least, they need to be entertained too.

"No Way Home" has Peter Parker (Tom Holland) visit Doctor Strange
(Benedict Cumberbatch) with the request that everyone forgets he's a
superhero. But our leading man quickly learns that actions have
consequences. Peter Parker makes mistakes, but the movie also includes
a place for second chances and redemption. Plus, there are nods to
American pride in the film, which is virtually nonexistent in the rest
of Hollywood.

"Spider-Man: No Way Home" is currently in theaters. It has rated 94%
fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and has a 99% fan score.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

<atropos-E28668.10141320012022@news.giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6058&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6058

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 10:14:13 -0800
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 18:14 UTC

In article <sq4tme$sp6$32@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> "Get woke, go broke" is a popular adage in the conservative community.
> But is there any truth to it?
>
> Some critics are saying that the massive success of the new movie,
> SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME, shows beyond a doubt that movie audiences
> are seeking films with substance and heart, not woke messaging that's
> nothing more than thinly veiled propaganda for Leftist causes.
>
> And some proof they're citing is how NO WAY HOME just smashed box
> office expectations, raking in $253 million domestically opening
> weekend, according to Variety. Before this, no post-COVID-19 film had
> managed to cross the $100 million mark in just one weekend.
>
> Others have tried, however. SPIDER-MAN's monstrous success comes in
> the recent wake of Spielberg's huge WEST SIDE STORY flop that failed
> despite an aggressive marketing campaign in Hollywood. Critics blamed a
> surge in the virus with the Omicron variant going strong as a reason
> people just didn't want to go to the movies. But NO WAY HOME proves
> there's something else going on.
>
> Critics and fans both adore the latest Spider-Man movie, with the
> Observer calling it, "An overflowing, funnel-web cornucopia of treats
> for Spider-fans." A ReelViews critic said, "As superhero movies go,
> this one offers its share of satisfying moments and is guaranteed to
> warm the heart of any Spider-Man movie fan, regardless of when their
> fandom started."
>
> The consensus is that this film was made with the fans in mind and
> differs from what Disney has done in the past. This is likely because,
> technically, Sony still owns the film rights and creative control
> despite being under the gigantic Disney umbrella.
>
> And then there was Breitbart, who called out what many moviegoers and
> critics were implying but not explicitly stating.
>
> "Newsflash: If you make a decent movie that seeks to entertain and move
> - instead of lecture and shame - we will show up," John Nolte wrote.
> "SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME does precisely that. You will not only have
> a great time at the movies again, but there's no gay, transsexual, or
> racial nonsense. This movie is about only one thing: Delivering the
> goods."
>
> On the whole, action movies tend to out-perform more thoughtful films.
> But even these types of storylines have been suffering lately. BLACK
> WIDOW bombed because of overtly feminist themes that superseded the
> central narrative. ETERNALS had a similar issue because audiences saw
> the extraordinarily politically correct agenda and rebelled against it.

Did BLACK WIDOW bomb? I was under the impression that it did decent if
not spectacular business.

And what was politically correct about ETERNALS? It was a dud of a
movie, but I don't think PC was its problem.

Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

<225129740.664395433.550712.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6059&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6059

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up
With Woke Propaganda
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:05:01 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 19:05 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <sq4tme$sp6$32@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> "Get woke, go broke" is a popular adage in the conservative community.
>> But is there any truth to it?
>>
>> Some critics are saying that the massive success of the new movie,
>> SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME, shows beyond a doubt that movie audiences
>> are seeking films with substance and heart, not woke messaging that's
>> nothing more than thinly veiled propaganda for Leftist causes.
>>
>> And some proof they're citing is how NO WAY HOME just smashed box
>> office expectations, raking in $253 million domestically opening
>> weekend, according to Variety. Before this, no post-COVID-19 film had
>> managed to cross the $100 million mark in just one weekend.
>>
>> Others have tried, however. SPIDER-MAN's monstrous success comes in
>> the recent wake of Spielberg's huge WEST SIDE STORY flop that failed
>> despite an aggressive marketing campaign in Hollywood. Critics blamed a
>> surge in the virus with the Omicron variant going strong as a reason
>> people just didn't want to go to the movies. But NO WAY HOME proves
>> there's something else going on.
>>
>> Critics and fans both adore the latest Spider-Man movie, with the
>> Observer calling it, "An overflowing, funnel-web cornucopia of treats
>> for Spider-fans." A ReelViews critic said, "As superhero movies go,
>> this one offers its share of satisfying moments and is guaranteed to
>> warm the heart of any Spider-Man movie fan, regardless of when their
>> fandom started."
>>
>> The consensus is that this film was made with the fans in mind and
>> differs from what Disney has done in the past. This is likely because,
>> technically, Sony still owns the film rights and creative control
>> despite being under the gigantic Disney umbrella.
>>
>> And then there was Breitbart, who called out what many moviegoers and
>> critics were implying but not explicitly stating.
>>
>> "Newsflash: If you make a decent movie that seeks to entertain and move
>> - instead of lecture and shame - we will show up," John Nolte wrote.
>> "SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME does precisely that. You will not only have
>> a great time at the movies again, but there's no gay, transsexual, or
>> racial nonsense. This movie is about only one thing: Delivering the
>> goods."
>>
>> On the whole, action movies tend to out-perform more thoughtful films.
>> But even these types of storylines have been suffering lately. BLACK
>> WIDOW bombed because of overtly feminist themes that superseded the
>> central narrative. ETERNALS had a similar issue because audiences saw
>> the extraordinarily politically correct agenda and rebelled against it.
>
> Did BLACK WIDOW bomb? I was under the impression that it did decent if
> not spectacular business.
>
> And what was politically correct about ETERNALS? It was a dud of a
> movie, but I don't think PC was its problem.

The casting of ETERNALS was pretty damn woke. How did all these diverse
robots come to be with their diverse accents long before those languages
even existed?

The original comic book team had a fair number of blondes in it

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51VIHmZbCSL.jpg

They weren’t robots, either, or if they were they were pretty damn good
robots since they could breed with humans.

I would say the choice of Director was pretty damn PC woke as well. She
really didn’t have the chops to get that gig any other way but affirmative
action.

BLACK WIDOW grossed $379,631,351 worldwide.
Supposedly it cost $200 million which is a suspiciously even number.

Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

<jvidnUub2azqlnf8nZ2dnUU7-eednZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6060&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6060

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:22:25 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 01:22 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> "Get woke, go broke" is a popular adage in the conservative community.
>> But is there any truth to it?
>>
>> Some critics are saying that the massive success of the new movie,
>> SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME, shows beyond a doubt that movie audiences
>> are seeking films with substance and heart, not woke messaging that's
>> nothing more than thinly veiled propaganda for Leftist causes.
>>
>> And some proof they're citing is how NO WAY HOME just smashed box
>> office expectations, raking in $253 million domestically opening
>> weekend, according to Variety. Before this, no post-COVID-19 film had
>> managed to cross the $100 million mark in just one weekend.
>>
>> Others have tried, however. SPIDER-MAN's monstrous success comes in
>> the recent wake of Spielberg's huge WEST SIDE STORY flop that failed
>> despite an aggressive marketing campaign in Hollywood. Critics blamed a
>> surge in the virus with the Omicron variant going strong as a reason
>> people just didn't want to go to the movies. But NO WAY HOME proves
>> there's something else going on.
>>
>> Critics and fans both adore the latest Spider-Man movie, with the
>> Observer calling it, "An overflowing, funnel-web cornucopia of treats
>> for Spider-fans." A ReelViews critic said, "As superhero movies go,
>> this one offers its share of satisfying moments and is guaranteed to
>> warm the heart of any Spider-Man movie fan, regardless of when their
>> fandom started."
>>
>> The consensus is that this film was made with the fans in mind and
>> differs from what Disney has done in the past. This is likely because,
>> technically, Sony still owns the film rights and creative control
>> despite being under the gigantic Disney umbrella.
>>
>> And then there was Breitbart, who called out what many moviegoers and
>> critics were implying but not explicitly stating.
>>
>> "Newsflash: If you make a decent movie that seeks to entertain and move
>> - instead of lecture and shame - we will show up," John Nolte wrote.
>> "SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME does precisely that. You will not only have
>> a great time at the movies again, but there's no gay, transsexual, or
>> racial nonsense. This movie is about only one thing: Delivering the
>> goods."
>>
>> On the whole, action movies tend to out-perform more thoughtful films.
>> But even these types of storylines have been suffering lately. BLACK
>> WIDOW bombed because of overtly feminist themes that superseded the
>> central narrative. ETERNALS had a similar issue because audiences saw
>> the extraordinarily politically correct agenda and rebelled against it.
>
>Did BLACK WIDOW bomb? I was under the impression that it did decent if
>not spectacular business.

I am not aware of how well Black Widow did.

>And what was politically correct about ETERNALS? It was a dud of a
>movie, but I don't think PC was its problem.

"Eternals" Signals The End Of Marvel As We Knew It

If �Eternals� is any indication, Marvel�s glory days are officially
behind it.

Some lovely world-building, full of color and light notwithstanding,
from beginning to end, the film is a mess.

The storyline centers on a group of immortal beings fashioned by the
great celestial energy god Arishem to battle deviants � neon, fiber-
optic dinosaurs that traverse the planet feeding on humankind. After
thousands of years, the Eternals have finally destroyed the last of
them, and are free to roam the world finding their own purpose, hanging
in bars, making movies, riding the range.

That�s what they�re doing when an evolved breed of deviant shows up,
setting them off on a journey for answers.

This sounds kind of fun. And I wish it were. But with the exception of
Kumail Nanjiani who offers, without question, the only real reason to
see the movie, the story takes itself far too seriously for fun or,
really, even logic.

Complicating plot twists surface and disappear and we�re never clear if
they were important to begin with. Someone is suddenly revealed to be
in love with someone else yet there�s been no foreshadowing to achieve
emotional impact. Characters� motivations, that we are supposed to
believe were forged through millennia, shift on a dime, but seem to
indicate deep religious faith is bad and will make you kill the people
you love.

Ultimately Eternals commits the one sin a blockbuster, superhero movie
can never be redeemed from � it�s dull.

The issue is primarily that Marvel is no longer content to make
entertainment. Now, under Kevin Feige�s new direction, it wants to make
commentary. It wants to be relevant. Instead, it often ends up
ridiculous, taking you out of the world of the movie as you begin
thinking about the kind of fawning, celebratory headlines Slate and Vox
are going to write about it.

The prime example is Arishem�s creative decisions in fashioning this
team of minor divinities: A Chinese woman, a Middle-Aged white woman, a
Hispanic woman, a deaf woman, an androgynous child, a Korean man, an
American black man, an Indian man, and, finally, a pair of Gaelic white
guys.

This overt rainbow coalition would have been fine if the film had
bothered to offer some utilitarian explanation for it. How hard would
it have been to throw in a line about needing to reflect the varieties
of humans, or some such superhero boilerplate? Instead, the
unaccountable diversity is taken as such a bedrock, unimpeachable good,
Zhao and team don�t even think they need to clarify it.

During my press screening, this perfect illustration of ethnic, gender,
sexual, and ability variety inspired my completely non-politically-
minded brother to lean over and whisper: So what then � even a cosmic
space deity is worried the woke mob will come after him if he doesn�t
get the representation right?

With �Eternals,� it seems clear Feige has officially won the struggle
for wokeness. The revelation that one member of the team is gay is no
quick aside Disney can easily disentangle to pass muster with Chinese
censors. He is black and has a husband of a different ethnic minority.
They dote in the suburbs over a little boy; they linger long in a kiss.

The same impulse to make statements also led Feige to tap Chloe Zhao,
an art-house Oscar-winner to helm this project. He and others at Disney
have celebrated it as a step forward in politics, not story-telling. It
shows.

The best Marvel movies have always come from the scruffy guys rising up
from the unrespectable genres of horror and comedy. Directors like
Taika Waititi, James Gunn, and the Russo Brothers had histories making
crowd-pleasers on shoe-string budgets. Zhao has a history of inspiring
deep think-pieces in The Atlantic. She�s done wonderful work as a
meditative auteur, but she�s a terrible fit for Marvel.

At times this striving to celebrate global cultures juxtaposed with
American progressive sexual ethics grows ridiculously obtuse and
contradictory. As when the gay Eternal decides to journey to the Middle
East, a land portrayed as a glittering, exotic gem in the desert sands.
Again, a joke from my brother, whispered a little too loudly across the
dark theater�The LGBT guy�s going to Iraq?! Don�t think he�s going to
like it there�

In short, this is a movie chock-full of important messages that are
ripe for lampooning by the very guys who used to be Marvel�s target
audience.

That�s not to say the MCU eschewed politics in its best movies � but
they were interesting politics that grappled with real complexity.

What responsibility do independent nation�s have to the well-being of
the rest of the world? (�Black Panther�). What are the best means to
combat religious fanaticism when you inhabit a tolerant, pluralistic
society? (�Guardians of the Galaxy�). What culpability do powerful
actors have when the law of unintended consequences ultimately come
home to roost (�Avengers: Age of Ultron�). Are bureaucracy and
government oversight a necessary evil or just evil? (�Captain America:
Civil War�).

Now, the questions are no more interesting or authentic than a yard
sign in an expensive, urban neighborhood. Full of virtue and self-
importance, signifying nothing.

Girl power! (�Captain Marvel�). Racial grievance! (�Falcon and the
Winter Soldier�). Patriarchy! (�Black Widow�). Even if your ideology is
in line with these preoccupations, where�s the discovery, where�s the
thrill in watching a gender or race studies lecture given by guys
dressed up in tights? It largely has the effect of reminding you, Huh,
I�m a grown woman watching guys dressed up tights.

This doesn�t mean, of course, that Marvel still won�t have some hits on
its hands with the old guard. Thor, Spider-Man, the Guardians, and a
few fan favorites�established before the political themes grew easy,
cheap, and flat�will still put backsides in seats, no doubt. But
Marvel�s natural lifecycle is drawing to an end. A long slow slide into
mediocrity and irrelevance has begun.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

<IoudnUCLsPHrvnf8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6061&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6061

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 21:07:34 -0600
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 03:07 UTC

On Jan 20, 2022 at 11:05:01 AM PST, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>> In article <sq4tme$sp6$32@dont-email.me>,
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "Get woke, go broke" is a popular adage in the conservative community.
>>> But is there any truth to it?
>>>
>>> Some critics are saying that the massive success of the new movie,
>>> SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME, shows beyond a doubt that movie audiences
>>> are seeking films with substance and heart, not woke messaging that's
>>> nothing more than thinly veiled propaganda for Leftist causes.
>>>
>>> And some proof they're citing is how NO WAY HOME just smashed box
>>> office expectations, raking in $253 million domestically opening
>>> weekend, according to Variety. Before this, no post-COVID-19 film had
>>> managed to cross the $100 million mark in just one weekend.
>>>
>>> Others have tried, however. SPIDER-MAN's monstrous success comes in
>>> the recent wake of Spielberg's huge WEST SIDE STORY flop that failed
>>> despite an aggressive marketing campaign in Hollywood. Critics blamed a
>>> surge in the virus with the Omicron variant going strong as a reason
>>> people just didn't want to go to the movies. But NO WAY HOME proves
>>> there's something else going on.
>>>
>>> Critics and fans both adore the latest Spider-Man movie, with the
>>> Observer calling it, "An overflowing, funnel-web cornucopia of treats
>>> for Spider-fans." A ReelViews critic said, "As superhero movies go,
>>> this one offers its share of satisfying moments and is guaranteed to
>>> warm the heart of any Spider-Man movie fan, regardless of when their
>>> fandom started."
>>>
>>> The consensus is that this film was made with the fans in mind and
>>> differs from what Disney has done in the past. This is likely because,
>>> technically, Sony still owns the film rights and creative control
>>> despite being under the gigantic Disney umbrella.
>>>
>>> And then there was Breitbart, who called out what many moviegoers and
>>> critics were implying but not explicitly stating.
>>>
>>> "Newsflash: If you make a decent movie that seeks to entertain and move
>>> - instead of lecture and shame - we will show up," John Nolte wrote.
>>> "SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME does precisely that. You will not only have
>>> a great time at the movies again, but there's no gay, transsexual, or
>>> racial nonsense. This movie is about only one thing: Delivering the
>>> goods."
>>>
>>> On the whole, action movies tend to out-perform more thoughtful films.
>>> But even these types of storylines have been suffering lately. BLACK
>>> WIDOW bombed because of overtly feminist themes that superseded the
>>> central narrative. ETERNALS had a similar issue because audiences saw
>>> the extraordinarily politically correct agenda and rebelled against it.
>>
>> Did BLACK WIDOW bomb? I was under the impression that it did decent if
>> not spectacular business.
>>
>> And what was politically correct about ETERNALS? It was a dud of a
>> movie, but I don't think PC was its problem.
>>
> The casting of ETERNALS was pretty damn woke.

This was one of the few times having a 'rainbow cast' had an actual plot
justification for it. I had no problem assuming Arishem made them all
different races, etc. because he knew they'd have to fight the Deviants
everywhere on earth.

I didn't have nearly the problem with it here that I usually do in Hollywood
films where the casting carefully checks every 'diversity' box.

> The original comic book team had a fair number of blondes in it

I have literally zero knowledge of the comic basis for the movie. I'd never
even heard of the Eternals before. I actually had it confused with the
Inhumans and thought for the longest time that this was a movie version of
that TV series from about five years ago. It was only after I was about 20
minutes into the movie that I realized they're two completely different
stories.

Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

<ssdhsd$pd0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6063&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6063

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:55:25 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 05:55 UTC

On 2022-01-21 01:22:25 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> "Eternals" Signals The End Of Marvel As We Knew It
>
> If “Eternals” is any indication, Marvel’s glory days are officially
> behind it.
<snip>

Hollyweird has simply become infested with talentless idiots with zero
creative ability. They lazily make remakes / reboots of old movies /
shows, or lazily churn out lots and lots of movies / shows within the
same few franchises ... then they sit there wondering why viewers are
getting bored. :-(

Then there the latest (so-called) "Batman", which is ridiculously
almost 3 hours long.

Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

<c02b6c76-32e5-41fb-ba85-2f7cb9b9b0dan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6069&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6069

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:31:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With
Woke Propaganda
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 09:31 UTC

The movie is drivel. Cheeseball morality like from a 1930's serial, pathetic "heroes" bent on navel-gazing and giving every killer villain a "second chance" and lousy second-banana. one-note side kicks who could be dispensed with easily. All they have going for them is $120M in special effects which becomes tedious after the first half-hour. All I could think while watching it was, "give me a violent horror movie, or a real war movie and spare me this PG-rated slop.

Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

<16cebcd0379499e6$2$44253$8d54264@news.newsdemon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6087&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6087

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 06:15:15 -0600
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 12:15 UTC

On 1/23/2022 3:31 AM, RichA wrote:
> The movie is drivel. Cheeseball morality like from a 1930's serial, pathetic "heroes" bent on navel-gazing and giving every killer villain a "second chance"

So you're unfamiliar with how comics work?

Re: "Spider-Man: No Way Home" Suggests Movie Fans Are Fed Up With Woke Propaganda

<87fsosgvq5.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6113&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6113

Followup: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.comics.misc
From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.pol-incorrect,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.correct,alt.politics.usa,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.comics.misc
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 12:50:10 +0200
 by: Otto J. Makela - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 10:50 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

> Some critics are saying that the massive success of the new movie,
> "Spider-Man: No Way Home," shows beyond a doubt that movie audiences
> are seeking films with substance and heart, not woke messaging that's
> nothing more than thinly veiled propaganda for Leftist causes.

Someone claiming Spiderman, Superman, X-Men and other US comics have not
contained political messages as parables from the very first issues
seems to me to be intentionally denying reality.

From time to time we receive letters from readers who wonder why
there’s so much moralizing in our mags. They take great pains to
point out that comics are supposed to be escapist reading and
nothing more. But somehow, I can’t see it that way. It seems to
me that a story without a message, however subliminal, is like a
man without a soul. In fact, even the most escapist literature
of all – old time fairy tales and heroic legends – contained
moral and philosophical points of view. At every college campus
where I may speak, there’s as much discussion of war and peace,
civil rights, and the so-called youth rebellion as there is of
our Marvel mags per se. None of us lives in a vacuum – none of
us is untouched by the everyday events around us – events which
shape our stories just as they shape our lives. Sure our tales
can be called escapist – but just because something’s for fun,
doesn’t mean we have to blanket our brains as we read it!
Excelsior!
-- Stan Lee: Stan's Soapbox column

Followup-to: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.comics.misc
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */