After any salary raise, you will have less money at the end of the month than you did before.

arts / rec.arts.drwho / Legend of the Sea Devils

SubjectAuthor
* Legend of the Sea DevilsThe Last Doctor
+* Legend of the Sea DevilsBlueshirt
|+- Legend of the Sea DevilsBlueshirt
|`- Legend of the Sea Devilssolar penguin
+- Legend of the Sea DevilsBlueshirt
`* Legend of the Sea Devilssolar penguin
 +- Legend of the Sea Devilssolar penguin
 +* Legend of the Sea DevilsThe Last Doctor
 |`- Legend of the Sea Devilssolar penguin
 `* Legend of the Sea Devilssolar penguin
  `- Legend of the Sea Devils%

1
Legend of the Sea Devils

<t3gng3$ge5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5986&group=rec.arts.drwho#5986

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: Legend of the Sea Devils
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:43:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:VkjTs7pMQLsvtutWZwK6kmtPdPo=
 by: The Last Doctor - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:43 UTC

Looks like this could be fun!

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.

They must be /fought/.

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<xn0ngq2k2lfky0k002@nntp.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5998&group=rec.arts.drwho#5998

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: Re: Legend of the Sea Devils
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 11:27:37 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 10:27 UTC

The Last Doctor wrote:

> Looks like this could be fun!

The trailers look good anyway. I'm looking forward to it tonight.

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<t3h8vb$646$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6046&group=rec.arts.drwho#6046

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:41:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:41 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

> In article <t3gng3$ge5$1@dont-email.me>,
> The Last Doctor <mike@xenocyte.com> wrote:
> >
> > Looks like this could be fun!
> >

> NOT!!!

Have you your 0/10 review ready to go?

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<t3h906$646$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6048&group=rec.arts.drwho#6048

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:42:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:42 UTC

The Doctor wrote:

> In article <xn0ngq2k2lfky0k002@nntp.aioe.org>,
> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
> > The Last Doctor wrote:
> >

> >> Looks like this could be fun!
> >
> > The trailers look good anyway. I'm looking forward to it tonight.
>
> Yet another Chibnall debacle.

How do you know, you haven't seen it yet?!

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<t3hs2p$ijo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6058&group=rec.arts.drwho#6058

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:07:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jfLJYZj04BDMXe07KaZ3F3KWPhg=
 by: solar penguin - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:07 UTC

Well, that was flawed but fun.

The pacing was a bit off, almost as if it had been written
for an hour-long slot and then cut down by executive meddling
by BBC bosses. (At least, I really , really hope that was
the case, and not just Chibnall having trouble structuring
the plot again!)

The biggest flaw was that the young man seemed just
a little bit too eager at the end to forgive the pirate queen
for killing his father. Agreeing not to kill her in revenge,
that makes sense. Joining her crew, not so much.

I didn’t mind that the Sea Devils’ culture and technology
had changed again. After all, the seventies and eighties
Sea Devils were nothing like each other except for general
appearance and origin story. This fits quite happily in with
that lack of continuity.

The Sea Devils’ plan didn’t seem to make much sense
though. Why not just make a new keystone to replace
the lost one? And how does reversing the Earth’s magnetic
field cause stars to move before it’s even started happening?
It’s probably just best to take it on trust that they’re doing
Something Bad and that’s what matters.

The Thasmin stuff wasn’t too embarrassing, even if it did
feel a bit stuck on as an afterthought.

And according to the trailer, the centenary episode is going
to be full of fanwank. Even more fanwank than we expected.
Should be interesting.

--
solar penguin

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<t3i0bo$grr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6062&group=rec.arts.drwho#6062

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:20:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:issBIywEI1igp4m18QgdvmaVgIY=
 by: solar penguin - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:20 UTC

Binky bleated:

> In article <t3hs2p$ijo$1@dont-email.me>,
> solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, that was flawed but fun.
>>
>> The pacing was a bit off, almost as if it had been written
>> for an hour-long slot and then cut down by executive meddling
>> by BBC bosses. (At least, I really , really hope that was
>> the case, and not just Chibnall having trouble structuring
>> the plot again!)
>>
>> The biggest flaw was that the young man seemed just
>> a little bit too eager at the end to forgive the pirate queen
>> for killing his father. Agreeing not to kill her in revenge,
>> that makes sense. Joining her crew, not so much.
>>
>> I didn’t mind that the Sea Devils’ culture and technology
>> had changed again. After all, the seventies and eighties
>> Sea Devils were nothing like each other except for general
>> appearance and origin story. This fits quite happily in with
>> that lack of continuity.
>>
>> The Sea Devils’ plan didn’t seem to make much sense
>> though. Why not just make a new keystone to replace
>> the lost one? And how does reversing the Earth’s magnetic
>> field cause stars to move before it’s even started happening?
>> It’s probably just best to take it on trust that they’re doing
>> Something Bad and that’s what matters.
>>
>> The Thasmin stuff wasn’t too embarrassing, even if it did
>> feel a bit stuck on as an afterthought.
>>

> More flawed than everything.

Everything? No. Much less flawed than the UK’s new Rwanda
policy, and probably lots and lots of other things too.

>> And according to the trailer, the centenary episode is going
>> to be full of fanwank. Even more fanwank than we expected.
>> Should be interesting.
>>

> The end of the Chibnall Reign of Error!

He started poorly, but got much better as he went on.

--
solar penguin

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<t3i0if$i6q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6063&group=rec.arts.drwho#6063

From: mik...@xenocyte.com (The Last Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:24:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:laZ7/dEGdm3geaO7vWSJuW/Frfs=
 by: The Last Doctor - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:24 UTC

solar penguin <solar.penguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, that was flawed but fun.
>
> The pacing was a bit off, almost as if it had been written
> for an hour-long slot and then cut down by executive meddling
> by BBC bosses. (At least, I really , really hope that was
> the case, and not just Chibnall having trouble structuring
> the plot again!)

Should have been about 75 minutes I reckon, but there were some obvious
cost cutting measures as well - fight scenes where you couldn’t see both
combatants, not showing the sea monster clearly so that we couldn’t se how
crap it was, only one fully animated Sea Devil (and they still couldn’t get
its mouth to move).

> The biggest flaw was that the young man seemed just
> a little bit too eager at the end to forgive the pirate queen
> for killing his father. Agreeing not to kill her in revenge,
> that makes sense. Joining her crew, not so much.

Yes, there was clearly meant to be a romance there that got left on the
cutting room floor, or edited out of the script completely.

> I didn’t mind that the Sea Devils’ culture and technology
> had changed again. After all, the seventies and eighties
> Sea Devils were nothing like each other except for general
> appearance and origin story. This fits quite happily in with
> that lack of continuity.

Yes but the Doctor lampshaded it, by pointing out how honourable they were
in the future … and that their technology seemed to be a bit on the
advanced side. Would have been better to comment that Eocene societies were
as complex and varied as modern humans.

> The Sea Devils’ plan didn’t seem to make much sense
> though. Why not just make a new keystone to replace
> the lost one? And how does reversing the Earth’s magnetic
> field cause stars to move before it’s even started happening?

How did they lose it in the first place?

> It’s probably just best to take it on trust that they’re doing
> Something Bad and that’s what matters.

Yeah, the science was as ropey as it’s ever been. The bit that irritated me
the most was that Dan could still talk to the Chinese when he was hundreds
of years from the TARDIS. This show could really use a babelfish solution
for the language issues.

Writing wise. the plot resolution point being the same as in the Timeless
Children was just lazy (Doctor makes a universe saving McGuffin that
requires sacrifice, guest star of the week makes the sacrifice for her).

> The Thasmin stuff wasn’t too embarrassing, even if it did
> feel a bit stuck on as an afterthought.

I thought it was done quite well considering it was now inevitable. Fairly
subtle and interweaved in a low impact way. But the Doctor seems to be
suffering serious premonitions that her incarnation is ending, and we
haven’t been shown a good reason why. So it feels like she’s using it as an
excuse for holding back.

> And according to the trailer, the centenary episode is going
> to be full of fanwank. Even more fanwank than we expected.
> Should be interesting.

All in the one show; Daleks. Cybermen, including the half-formed one that
was miniaturised and exploded in the last destruction of Gallifrey. The
Master. Vinder. And of course, the heavily signalled regeneration - or at
least the first half of it.

Plus Tegan Jovanka and Ace McShane (the modern era’s been hard on
companions, only Martha Jones was left safely on contemporary Earth Prime
with her memory intact - all the others are in other universes, dead but
now alive again in the distant future, or sent back into the past and now
dead). So despite it being 40 years, these are 2 of the 3 most recent
available companions.

Fanwank indeed!

--
There are some corners of the universe
which have bred the most terrible things.
Things which act against everything we believe in.

They must be /fought/.

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<t3i26g$snp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6065&group=rec.arts.drwho#6065

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:52:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7KL81neYE+I4zypNaS8dISDGLCQ=
 by: solar penguin - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:52 UTC

Mike M mentioned:

> Yeah, the science was as ropey as it’s ever been. The bit that irritated me
> the most was that Dan could still talk to the Chinese when he was hundreds
> of years from the TARDIS.

Probably the same way that Vicki, Steven, Nyssa and Mel
could continue to speak the local language when they
stopped travelling with the Doctor. Or how Amy and Rory
could read the Language of the Forest while they were
separated from the TARDIS. That’s just how it works.

--
solar penguin

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<t3i7h5$uov$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6067&group=rec.arts.drwho#6067

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:23:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MzLUUzaUy1o5vbdRqRwgGVWfhiM=
 by: solar penguin - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:23 UTC

Tim typed:

> Spoilers for S39E08 S39E8 S13E8 S13E08
> 1
> ,
> .
> /
> '
>
> ;
>
> On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 1:07:55 PM UTC-7, solar penguin wrote:
>> Well, that was flawed but fun.
>>
>> The Sea Devils’ plan didn’t seem to make much sense
>> though. Why not just make a new keystone to replace
>> the lost one?
>
> How do you KNOW that the Sea Devils have keystone
> manufacturing technology with them?

Even if they don’t, they had nearly 300 years to re-acquire the
technology while their leader was being a statue.

--
solar penguin

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<DtWdnW_OoZceLcH_nZ2dnUU7-RmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6068&group=rec.arts.drwho#6068

Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
From: pursent...@gmail.com (%)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:27:47 -0700
 by: % - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 00:27 UTC

On 2022-04-17 5:25 p.m., tsbr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 4:23:19 PM UTC-7, solar penguin wrote:
>> Tim typed:
>>> Spoilers for S39E08 S39E8 S13E8 S13E08
>>> 1
>>> Q
>>> A
>>> Z
>>> X
>>> C
>>> V
>>> B
>>> N
>>> ,
>>> .
>>> /
>>> '
>>>
>>> ;
>>> K
>>> J
>>> H
>>> G
>>> F
>>> D
>>> S

>>> How do you KNOW that the Sea Devils have keystone
>>> manufacturing technology with them?
>>>
>> Even if they don’t, they had nearly 300 years to re-acquire the
>> technology while their leader was being a statue.
>
> I thought that they were fast asleep!

how can you be fast if you're asleep

Re: Legend of the Sea Devils

<t3j0bo$7dg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6070&group=rec.arts.drwho#6070

From: solar.pe...@gmail.com (solar penguin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:27:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:W3pCvpXxkc3799MInMtWLT1TK3o=
 by: solar penguin - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:27 UTC

Tim typed:

> Why does the Doctor get a pain in her ear at the start?

Her earring is being pulled by the Sea Devils’ magnetic
field thing.

--
solar penguin