Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 18:55:53 +0000
Subject: Re: The Poetry of Harry Kemp
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 18:55 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> [...]

> him had grown repressive and corrupt. He had stood for voluntary poverty,
> not self-satisfied greed. He had stood for justice and identified with the
> downtrodden, saying that what you do the least of God's creatures, you do to
> me.

> Writing
> According to Louis Untermeyer (editor of Modern American Poetry), Kemp's
> early collections (The Cry of Youth and The Passing God) are "full of every
> kind of poetry except the kind one might imagine Kemp would write. Instead
> of crude and boisterous verse, here is precise and over-polished poetry."
> Untermeyer's opinion was that Chanteys and Ballads is "riper," with "the
> sense of personality more pronounced."<ref?Louis Untermeyer, ed., Modern
> American Poetry, Fourth Revised Edition, New York, Harcourt, Brace and Co.,
> 1930; p. 376. Print.</ref>

> Recognition
> Kemp's reputation had declined into obscurity by the time of his death in
> 1960; but his role in the history of modern American literature and the
> American Left has brought renewed interest and further publication of his
> work.

> There is a street named for him, Harry Kemp Way, in Provincetown.

> In 1995, the Provincetown Chamber of Commerce made plans to create a First
> Landing Park to commemorate the Pilgrims' voyage in 1620. Ms. Ruth Hiebert
> made a donation in the name of her late father, Dr. Daniel Hieber, who,
> along with Harry Kemp, the celebrated "Tramp Poet" of the 1920s literary
> world who abandoned Greenwich Village for life in a Provincetown dune shack,
> would reenact the first landing every year, complete with dubious costumes
> Kemp imagined the intrepid voyagers might have worn."It was all somewhat
> silly, but it did keep the true history alive," Ms. Hiebert told the Globe.

> Publications
> The Cry of Youth. New York: Kennerley, 1914.
> The Thresher's Wife. New York: A. & C. Boni, 1914.
> The Passing God: Songs for lovers (with introduction by Richard Le
> Gallienne). New York: Brentano's, 1919; London: Brentano's, 1922.
> Chanteys and Ballads: Sea-chanteys, tramp-ballads, and other ballads and
> poems. New York: Brentano's, 1920.
> The Sea and the Dunes, and other poems. New York: Brentano's, 1926.
> Don Juan's Note-Book. New York: privately published; printed by Alex L.
> Hillman, 1929.
> Where Now Green Gardens? Harry answers Omar. Provincetown, MA: Provincetown
> Publishers, 1945.
> The Poet's Life of Christ: Songs of the living Lord. Provincetown, MA:
> Provincetown Publishers, 1946.
> Provincetown Tideways (1948)
> Poet of the Dunes: Songs of the dunes and the outer shore, with others in
> varying modes and moods. Provincetown, MA: Provincetown Publishers, 1952;
> Provincetown, MA: Cape Cod Pilgrim Memorial Association, 1988.
> Rhyme of Provincetown Nicknames. Providence, MA: Providence Publishers,

Again... Kemp is quite fantastic....!

Re: The Poetry of Harry Kemp

<f84371148e7e136a02cb9cba5bcf6399@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5839&group=rec.arts.poems#5839

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 04:28:10 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 04:28 UTC

Click here to read the complete article
Re: The Poetry of Harry Kemp

<dbc356b4c72c0a867b147cd8c0bb0cb1@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5896&group=rec.arts.poems#5896

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 20:30:48 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 20:30 UTC

<1d0cedaca0d3777e5f82659f999dd0c3@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6010&group=rec.arts.poems#6010

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 15:23:14 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
 by: W.Dockery - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 15:23 UTC

<4d603f014af7761ec8c9ee476cae18e0@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6011&group=rec.arts.poems#6011

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 15:23:42 +0000