Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 20:56:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Who would get control of French Indochina in this alt-WWI?
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Tue, 20 Apr 2021 03:56 UTC

Let's say that this alt-WWI occurs sometime between 1920 and 1960 and that the real WWI does NOT occur in 1914 as a result of Franz Ferdinand surviving. Here are the sides in this alt-WWI:

Entente: France, Russia, Serbia, and Montenegro.
Central Powers: Germany, Austria-Hungary (or Austria and Hungary, separately), Italy, Britain, Japan, Romania, Bulgaria, the Ottoman Empire, and *possibly* the United States.

Who would get control of French Indochina in this alt-WWI--as in, after the end of this war--if the CPs will win this alt-WWI? I'm thinking that the most likely candidate for this is, of course, Japan, but both Britain and the US are also very real possibilities here. Or maybe we see some kind of partition of French Indochina in this TL. But I still think that the best bet is to see Japan conquer all of it.

Anyway, what do you think?