Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 08:51:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: CYRANO (film review by Mark R. Leeper)
From: mlee...@optonline.net (Mark Leeper)
 by: Mark Leeper - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 16:51 UTC

There were many adaptations of classic literary works in 1990, but
for both production quality and pure entertainment value I gave the
edge to that year's CYRANO DE BERGERAC, giving it a +3 (-4 to +4
scale), and said that that was likely to remain the best adaptation
of the story to film we would see in our lifetimes and very likely
the most entertaining, even if we included Steve Martin's popular
modern reframing ROXANNE. I still stand by that.

CYRANO DE BERGERAC, and this year's film of similar title, CYRANO,
are of course adaptations of Edmond Rostand's popular play, first
presented in 1897. (Rostand took some poetic liberty,
incidentally, but Cyrano was a genuine historic figure who was
soldier, expert swordsman, poet, playwright, philosopher, and even
a science fiction writer. His best-known literary work today is A
VOYAGE TO THE MOON, which is why Rostand put so many references to
moon travel in the play. Cyrano suggested several means of extra-
terrestrial propulsion, mostly absurd, but on one he got lucky.
Cyrano de Bergerac was the man who first suggested that space
travel might be possible using rocket propulsion.) The story is of
the noble swordsman who would like to woo his beautiful cousin but
is stigmatized by his own prodigious nose. When it turns out that
an inarticulate but handsome soldier under Cyrano's command also
loves her, Cyrano agrees to help the soldier. The soldier will
provide the good looks and Cyrano will provide the words. The
story packs into a surprisingly small space comedy, tragedy, drama,
action, and adventure.

This year's version, titled simply CYRANO, it does everything it
can to make the nobility repulsive, visually as well as character-
wise. We see the Count De Guise (played by Ben Mendelsohn) giving
instructions and orders to his fiancee, Roxanne (played by Haley
Bennett). De Guiche does not know that he will soon be losing his
safe control over the woman in his own coach. Let De Guise rest in
peace.

Cyrano is played by Peter Dinklage, and as a result, almost all the
nose jokes are dispensed with in favor of remarks about his height.
This means, among other things, that the marvelous scene in which
Cyrano comes up with dozens of insults to his nose. Apparently
screenwriter Erica Schmidt (Dinklage's wife) did not feel she could
do that scene justice with height jokes--or maybe decided that
height jokes were a bit too insulting in real life to put a whole
scene of them on the film. Dinklage is immensely talented but his
singing voice leaves a lot to be desired. (On the other hand, the
same could be said of Rex Harrison in MY FAIR LADY.) Christian is
played by Kelvin Harrison, Jr., with no comment being made about
his race--I'm not sure if we are supposed to acknowledge it or not.
(One reviewer felt that having a Black character be inarticulate
and rescued by what is in some sense a white savior was a bad
choice.)

Kudos for the very detailed sets and production design.

Released theatrically 12/31/21. Rating: low +2 (-4 to +4), or 7/10.

Film Credits:
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12889404/reference>

What others are saying:
<https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cyrano>