The only constant is change.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

SubjectAuthor
* "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by LoisLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by LoisWilliam Hyde
 +* Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by LoisLynn McGuire
 `* Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Loisted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  +* Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by LoisLynn McGuire
  |`- Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Loisted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  `- Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by LoisWilliam Hyde

1
"Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<sh5nfh$8eh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60389&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60389

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois
McMaster Bujold
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 13:42:53 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 18:42 UTC

"Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster
Bujold
https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Vorpatrils-Alliance-Vorkosigan-Saga/dp/1476736987/

Book number sixteen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
series. There are several other books and short stories in the
Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
was nominated for the 2013 Hugo and Locus awards for best novel. This
is my second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well
bound new MMPB published by Baen in 2014 that I just rebought on Amazon
(the second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the
series in MMPB.

Captain Ivan Xav Vorpatril, one of the heirs to the Barrayar Empire, has
been at the middle of several conspiracies during his 35 year lifetime.
So he tries to move himself away from the center of things yet keep
himself moving up the chain in his military career. On temporary duty
in Komarr, he runs into his cousin Byerly Vorrupter. Or rather, By runs
into him and informs him that two ladies in trouble need his help.
Being a little too trusting of By again, he ends up rescuing the two
ladies. And, married to one of them.

Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
2. Falling Free
3. Shards of Honor
4. Barrayar
5. The Warrior's Apprentice
6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
7. The Vor Game
8. Cetaganda
9. Ethan Of Athos
10. Brothers in Arms
11. Mirror Dance
12. Memory
13. Komarr
14. A Civil Campaign
15. Diplomatic Immunity
16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
17. CryoBurn
18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (988 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<a053e84f-dd2d-414d-a331-c7b4d32b2d54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60400&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60400

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 14:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
McMaster Bujold
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 21:53 UTC

On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 2:43:01 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster
> Bujold
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Vorpatrils-Alliance-Vorkosigan-Saga/dp/1476736987/
>
> Book number sixteen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
> opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
> series. There are several other books and short stories in the
> Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
> best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
> series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
> was nominated for the 2013 Hugo and Locus awards for best novel. This
> is my second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well
> bound new MMPB published by Baen in 2014 that I just rebought on Amazon
> (the second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the
> series in MMPB.
>
> Captain Ivan Xav Vorpatril, one of the heirs to the Barrayar Empire, has
> been at the middle of several conspiracies during his 35 year lifetime.
> So he tries to move himself away from the center of things yet keep
> himself moving up the chain in his military career. On temporary duty
> in Komarr, he runs into his cousin Byerly Vorrupter. Or rather, By runs
> into him and informs him that two ladies in trouble need his help.
> Being a little too trusting of By again, he ends up rescuing the two
> ladies. And, married to one of them.
>
> Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
> https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
> 1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
> 2. Falling Free
> 3. Shards of Honor
> 4. Barrayar
> 5. The Warrior's Apprentice
> 6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
> 7. The Vor Game
> 8. Cetaganda
> 9. Ethan Of Athos
> 10. Brothers in Arms
> 11. Mirror Dance
> 12. Memory
> 13. Komarr
> 14. A Civil Campaign
> 15. Diplomatic Immunity
> 16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
> 17. CryoBurn
> 18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
>
> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (988 reviews)

I put this in a box of mysteries I was giving to my sister, who does not read SF. She liked it.

Now the only question is how I came to have a copy. I do not recall buying it, and I *think* I can recall all of my hardcover purchases. Mysterious.

William Hyde

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<sh647j$2nq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60405&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60405

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
McMaster Bujold
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 17:20:32 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 22:20 UTC

On 9/6/2021 4:53 PM, William Hyde wrote:
> On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 2:43:01 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster
>> Bujold
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Vorpatrils-Alliance-Vorkosigan-Saga/dp/1476736987/
>>
>> Book number sixteen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
>> opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
>> series. There are several other books and short stories in the
>> Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
>> best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
>> series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
>> was nominated for the 2013 Hugo and Locus awards for best novel. This
>> is my second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well
>> bound new MMPB published by Baen in 2014 that I just rebought on Amazon
>> (the second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the
>> series in MMPB.
>>
>> Captain Ivan Xav Vorpatril, one of the heirs to the Barrayar Empire, has
>> been at the middle of several conspiracies during his 35 year lifetime.
>> So he tries to move himself away from the center of things yet keep
>> himself moving up the chain in his military career. On temporary duty
>> in Komarr, he runs into his cousin Byerly Vorrupter. Or rather, By runs
>> into him and informs him that two ladies in trouble need his help.
>> Being a little too trusting of By again, he ends up rescuing the two
>> ladies. And, married to one of them.
>>
>> Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
>> https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
>> 1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
>> 2. Falling Free
>> 3. Shards of Honor
>> 4. Barrayar
>> 5. The Warrior's Apprentice
>> 6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
>> 7. The Vor Game
>> 8. Cetaganda
>> 9. Ethan Of Athos
>> 10. Brothers in Arms
>> 11. Mirror Dance
>> 12. Memory
>> 13. Komarr
>> 14. A Civil Campaign
>> 15. Diplomatic Immunity
>> 16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
>> 17. CryoBurn
>> 18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
>>
>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (988 reviews)
>
> I put this in a box of mysteries I was giving to my sister, who does not read SF. She liked it.
>
> Now the only question is how I came to have a copy. I do not recall buying it, and I *think* I can recall all of my hardcover purchases. Mysterious.
>
> William Hyde

Yes, I did not put the word "Romance" into the description. The
description might be better worded as "Book number sixteen (in
chronological order) of an eighteen book space opera romance series."

You need to buy your sister the other seventeen books in order to be a
good brother now that you got her hooked.

Lynn

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<02714862-0b47-4018-b7a2-28e1969c38a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60407&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60407

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 16:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
McMaster Bujold
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 23:04 UTC

On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 6:20:40 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> [...]
> >> 14. A Civil Campaign
> >> 15. Diplomatic Immunity
> >> 16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
> >> 17. CryoBurn
> >> 18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
> >>
> >> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
> >> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (988 reviews)
> >
> > I put this in a box of mysteries I was giving to my sister, who does not read SF. She liked it.
> >
> > Now the only question is how I came to have a copy. I do not recall buying it, and I *think* I can recall all of my hardcover purchases. Mysterious.
> >
> > William Hyde
> Yes, I did not put the word "Romance" into the description. The
> description might be better worded as "Book number sixteen (in
> chronological order) of an eighteen book space opera romance series."
>
> You need to buy your sister the other seventeen books in order to be a
> good brother now that you got her hooked.

On their way.

William Hyde

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<ipo0ogFbra9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60416&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60416

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
McMaster Bujold
Date: 7 Sep 2021 02:23:12 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 02:23 UTC

In article <a053e84f-dd2d-414d-a331-c7b4d32b2d54n@googlegroups.com>,
William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 2:43:01 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster
>> Bujold
>>

>https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Vorpatrils-Alliance-Vorkosigan-Saga/dp/1476736987/
>>
>> Book number sixteen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
>> opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
>> series. There are several other books and short stories in the
>> Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
>> best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
>> series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
>> was nominated for the 2013 Hugo and Locus awards for best novel. This
>> is my second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well
>> bound new MMPB published by Baen in 2014 that I just rebought on Amazon
>> (the second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the
>> series in MMPB.
>>
>> Captain Ivan Xav Vorpatril, one of the heirs to the Barrayar Empire, has
>> been at the middle of several conspiracies during his 35 year lifetime.
>> So he tries to move himself away from the center of things yet keep
>> himself moving up the chain in his military career. On temporary duty
>> in Komarr, he runs into his cousin Byerly Vorrupter. Or rather, By runs
>> into him and informs him that two ladies in trouble need his help.
>> Being a little too trusting of By again, he ends up rescuing the two
>> ladies. And, married to one of them.
>>
>> Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
>> https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
>> 1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
>> 2. Falling Free
>> 3. Shards of Honor
>> 4. Barrayar
>> 5. The Warrior's Apprentice
>> 6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
>> 7. The Vor Game
>> 8. Cetaganda
>> 9. Ethan Of Athos
>> 10. Brothers in Arms
>> 11. Mirror Dance
>> 12. Memory
>> 13. Komarr
>> 14. A Civil Campaign
>> 15. Diplomatic Immunity
>> 16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
>> 17. CryoBurn
>> 18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
>>
>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (988 reviews)
>
>I put this in a box of mysteries I was giving to my sister, who does not
>read SF. She liked it.
>
>Now the only question is how I came to have a copy. I do not recall
>buying it, and I *think* I can recall all of my hardcover purchases.
>Mysterious.
>
>William Hyde

I believe Avram Davidson had some information about that.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<sh8b8d$au9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60457&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60457

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
McMaster Bujold
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 13:32:44 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 18:32 UTC

On 9/6/2021 6:04 PM, William Hyde wrote:
> On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 6:20:40 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> I put this in a box of mysteries I was giving to my sister, who does not read SF. She liked it.
>>>
>>> Now the only question is how I came to have a copy. I do not recall buying it, and I *think* I can recall all of my hardcover purchases. Mysterious.
>>>
>>> William Hyde
>> Yes, I did not put the word "Romance" into the description. The
>> description might be better worded as "Book number sixteen (in
>> chronological order) of an eighteen book space opera romance series."
>>
>> You need to buy your sister the other seventeen books in order to be a
>> good brother now that you got her hooked.
>>
>> Lynn
>
> On their way.
>
> William Hyde

I suspect that is tongue in cheek because the expense of those 17 books
would be around $300, quite an expense for a retired person.

Lynn

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<sh8bbj$au9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60458&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60458

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
McMaster Bujold
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 13:34:25 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 18:34 UTC

On 9/6/2021 9:23 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <a053e84f-dd2d-414d-a331-c7b4d32b2d54n@googlegroups.com>,
> William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 2:43:01 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster
>>> Bujold
>>>

>> https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Vorpatrils-Alliance-Vorkosigan-Saga/dp/1476736987/
>>>
>>> Book number sixteen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
>>> opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
>>> series. There are several other books and short stories in the
>>> Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
>>> best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
>>> series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
>>> was nominated for the 2013 Hugo and Locus awards for best novel. This
>>> is my second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well
>>> bound new MMPB published by Baen in 2014 that I just rebought on Amazon
>>> (the second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the
>>> series in MMPB.
>>>
>>> Captain Ivan Xav Vorpatril, one of the heirs to the Barrayar Empire, has
>>> been at the middle of several conspiracies during his 35 year lifetime.
>>> So he tries to move himself away from the center of things yet keep
>>> himself moving up the chain in his military career. On temporary duty
>>> in Komarr, he runs into his cousin Byerly Vorrupter. Or rather, By runs
>>> into him and informs him that two ladies in trouble need his help.
>>> Being a little too trusting of By again, he ends up rescuing the two
>>> ladies. And, married to one of them.
>>>
>>> Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
>>> https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
>>> 1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
>>> 2. Falling Free
>>> 3. Shards of Honor
>>> 4. Barrayar
>>> 5. The Warrior's Apprentice
>>> 6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
>>> 7. The Vor Game
>>> 8. Cetaganda
>>> 9. Ethan Of Athos
>>> 10. Brothers in Arms
>>> 11. Mirror Dance
>>> 12. Memory
>>> 13. Komarr
>>> 14. A Civil Campaign
>>> 15. Diplomatic Immunity
>>> 16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
>>> 17. CryoBurn
>>> 18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
>>>
>>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (988 reviews)
>>
>> I put this in a box of mysteries I was giving to my sister, who does not
>> read SF. She liked it.
>>
>> Now the only question is how I came to have a copy. I do not recall
>> buying it, and I *think* I can recall all of my hardcover purchases.
>> Mysterious.
>>
>> William Hyde
>
> I believe Avram Davidson had some information about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avram_Davidson

Books about magic ???

Lynn

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<ipprf9Fms44U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60461&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60461

From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
McMaster Bujold
Date: 7 Sep 2021 19:05:13 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 19:05 UTC

https://avramdavidson.com/or-all-the-seas-with-oysters/
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<42ab18e9-6662-4ddc-b31c-25f4cb4a0d80n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60463&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60463

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 12:33:32 -0700 (PDT)
McMaster Bujold
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 19:33 UTC

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 2:32:49 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 9/6/2021 6:04 PM, William Hyde wrote:

> >> Yes, I did not put the word "Romance" into the description. The
> >> description might be better worded as "Book number sixteen (in
> >> chronological order) of an eighteen book space opera romance series."
> >>
> >> You need to buy your sister the other seventeen books in order to be a
> >> good brother now that you got her hooked.
> >>
> >> Lynn
> >
> > On their way.
> >
> > William Hyde
> I suspect that is tongue in cheek because the expense of those 17 books
> would be around $300, quite an expense for a retired person.

Well, I already have about six of them. And was planning on ordering the others for myself.

The question is, which would be the best to give her next? Her two principle genres are mystery and anything Stephen King writes. She does read non-genre fiction, and is not fond of romance.

William Hyde

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<sh8f24$70g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60464&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60464

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
McMaster Bujold
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 14:37:37 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 19:37 UTC

On 9/7/2021 2:33 PM, William Hyde wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 2:32:49 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> On their way.
>>>
>>> William Hyde
>> I suspect that is tongue in cheek because the expense of those 17 books
>> would be around $300, quite an expense for a retired person.
>
> Well, I already have about six of them. And was planning on ordering the others for myself.
>
> The question is, which would be the best to give her next? Her two principle genres are mystery and anything Stephen King writes. She does read non-genre fiction, and is not fond of romance.
>
> William Hyde

"Shards of Honor (2) (Vorkosigan Saga)" $15.49 in the USA
https://www.amazon.com/Shards-Honor-Vorkosigan-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1476781109/

and

"Barrayar (3) (Vorkosigan Saga)" $15.99 in the USA
https://www.amazon.com/Barrayar-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1476781117/

You can find used for much cheaper though if need be. Me, I like to
reward the author for their effort.

Lynn

Re: "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<136d0bb3-c626-4f92-99f1-0e5518c1eb71n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60465&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60465

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 12:40:39 -0700 (PDT)
McMaster Bujold
From: wthyde1...@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 19:40 UTC

On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 10:23:17 PM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <a053e84f-dd2d-414d...@googlegroups.com>,
> William Hyde <wthyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 2:43:01 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (16) (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster
> >> Bujold
> >>

> >https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Vorpatrils-Alliance-Vorkosigan-Saga/dp/1476736987/
> >>
> >> Book number sixteen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
> >> opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
> >> series. There are several other books and short stories in the
> >> Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
> >> best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
> >> series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
> >> was nominated for the 2013 Hugo and Locus awards for best novel. This
> >> is my second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well
> >> bound new MMPB published by Baen in 2014 that I just rebought on Amazon
> >> (the second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the
> >> series in MMPB.
> >>
> >> Captain Ivan Xav Vorpatril, one of the heirs to the Barrayar Empire, has
> >> been at the middle of several conspiracies during his 35 year lifetime.
> >> So he tries to move himself away from the center of things yet keep
> >> himself moving up the chain in his military career. On temporary duty
> >> in Komarr, he runs into his cousin Byerly Vorrupter. Or rather, By runs
> >> into him and informs him that two ladies in trouble need his help.
> >> Being a little too trusting of By again, he ends up rescuing the two
> >> ladies. And, married to one of them.
> >>
> >> Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
> >> https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
> >> 1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
> >> 2. Falling Free
> >> 3. Shards of Honor
> >> 4. Barrayar
> >> 5. The Warrior's Apprentice
> >> 6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
> >> 7. The Vor Game
> >> 8. Cetaganda
> >> 9. Ethan Of Athos
> >> 10. Brothers in Arms
> >> 11. Mirror Dance
> >> 12. Memory
> >> 13. Komarr
> >> 14. A Civil Campaign
> >> 15. Diplomatic Immunity
> >> 16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
> >> 17. CryoBurn
> >> 18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
> >>
> >> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
> >> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (988 reviews)
> >
> >I put this in a box of mysteries I was giving to my sister, who does not
> >read SF. She liked it.
> >
> >Now the only question is how I came to have a copy. I do not recall
> >buying it, and I *think* I can recall all of my hardcover purchases.
> >Mysterious.
> >
> >William Hyde
> I believe Avram Davidson had some information about that.

And it wouldn't hurt to see that I have all of his fiction as well.

To my shame, I must admit that I forgot about this excellent writer for twenty five years, only discovering after his death that this writer had been *writing* all that time. Who knew? Aside from everybody else.

And after he based Limekiller(1) on me. Such ingratitude on my part.

(1) Warning, this may not be an entirely serious claim.

William Hyde