Often statistics are used as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than illumination.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

SubjectAuthor
* "Don't Look Up" on NetflixLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflixdanny burstein
|+* Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixLynn McGuire
||`* Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixDorothy J Heydt
|| `- Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixRichA
|`* Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixDorothy J Heydt
| +* Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixNinapenda Jibini
| |`* Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixLynn McGuire
| | +- Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
| | `- Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixJ. Clarke
| `- Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixBice
+* Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixNinapenda Jibini
|`* Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixLynn McGuire
| +- Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixNinapenda Jibini
| `- Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflixkelown
+- Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixJ. Clarke
+- Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixThe Starmaker
+- Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixOtto J. Makela
 `- Re: "Don't Look Up" on NetflixMike Teal

1
"Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<sqb1u1$cb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5982&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5982

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:38:24 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:38 UTC

I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With Meryl
Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, etc. The
movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers find out that a
comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.
Just the opposite of the "Deep Impact" movie".
https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357

Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).

Lynn

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<sqb2c3$p8h$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5983&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5983

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:45:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:45 UTC

In <sqb1u1$cb$1@dont-email.me> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:

>I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With Meryl
>Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, etc. The
>movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers find out that a
>comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
>entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.
>Just the opposite of the "Deep Impact" movie".
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357

>Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).

Is that supposed to be a warning or a sales point?

dannyb@panix.com

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<XnsAE0CAB9CFAA30taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5984&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5984

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:52:13 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:52 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote in

> I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With
> Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill,
> etc. The movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers
> find out that a comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month
> and people spend the entire seven months arguing about whether
> the comet is real or not. Just the opposite of the "Deep Impact"
> movie".
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>
> Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).

Nudity only gets you an R rating, even full frontal nudity. (And that
is, in fact, that rating the MPAA gave it, according to IMDB.)

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<sqb4di$c2v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5985&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5985

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 19:20:49 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:20 UTC

On 12/26/2021 6:45 PM, danny burstein wrote:
> In <sqb1u1$cb$1@dont-email.me> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With Meryl
>> Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, etc. The
>> movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers find out that a
>> comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
>> entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.
>> Just the opposite of the "Deep Impact" movie".
>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>
>> Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).
>
> Is that supposed to be a warning or a sales point?

Warning: it is a bunch of 60+ year olds including Meryl Streep (probably
her body double).

Lynn

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<sqb4fi$c2v$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5986&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5986

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 19:21:53 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:21 UTC

On 12/26/2021 6:52 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With
>> Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill,
>> etc. The movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers
>> find out that a comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month
>> and people spend the entire seven months arguing about whether
>> the comet is real or not. Just the opposite of the "Deep Impact"
>> movie".
>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>>
>> Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).
>>
> Nudity only gets you an R rating, even full frontal nudity. (And that
> is, in fact, that rating the MPAA gave it, according to IMDB.)

Really ? I thought that full frontal was a NC-17.

Lynn

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<r4r39I.1BME@kithrup.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5987&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5987

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:39:18 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:39 UTC

In article <sqb2c3$p8h$1@reader1.panix.com>,
danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>In <sqb1u1$cb$1@dont-email.me> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With Meryl
>>Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, etc. The
>>movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers find out that a
>>comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
>>entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.
>>Just the opposite of the "Deep Impact" movie".
>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>
>>Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).
>
>Is that supposed to be a warning or a sales point?

For me, it's a warning; thanks, Lynn.

(Not to mention that it sounds like a stupid plot.)

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<r4r3D4.1BvF@kithrup.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5988&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5988

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:41:28 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:41 UTC

In article <sqb4di$c2v$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 12/26/2021 6:45 PM, danny burstein wrote:
>> In <sqb1u1$cb$1@dont-email.me> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With Meryl
>>> Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, etc. The
>>> movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers find out that a
>>> comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
>>> entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.
>>> Just the opposite of the "Deep Impact" movie".
>>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>>
>>> Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).
>>
>> Is that supposed to be a warning or a sales point?
>
>Warning: it is a bunch of 60+ year olds including Meryl Streep (probably
>her body double).

/google

DiCaprio's only 47. And still looks like a five-month fetus,
even when wearing a beard.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<XnsAE0CC043FAD54taustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5989&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5989

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 02:54:02 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 02:54 UTC

> On 12/26/2021 6:52 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With
>>> Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah
>>> Hill, etc. The movie is the theater of the absurd. Two
>>> astronomers find out that a comet is going to hit the Earth in
>>> seven month and people spend the entire seven months arguing
>>> about whether the comet is real or not. Just the opposite of
>>> the "Deep Impact" movie".
>>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>>>
>>> Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).
>>>
>> Nudity only gets you an R rating, even full frontal nudity.
>> (And that is, in fact, that rating the MPAA gave it, according
>> to IMDB.)
>
> Really ? I thought that full frontal was a NC-17.

Not by itself, and in fact, not required for NC-17. It is enitrely
possible to get an NC-17 rating with no nudity at all. Mostly, it's
about a sexual *context*, but some forms of extreme violence will
get that rating, too.

From the MPAA's "CLASSIFICATION AND RATING RULES" booklet:

"An NC-17 rated motion picture is one that, in the view of the
Rating Board, most parents would consider patently too adult for
their children 17 and under. No children will be admitted. NC-17
does not mean "obscene" or "pornographic" in the common or legal
meaning of those words, and should not be construed as a negative
judgment in any sense. The rating simply signals that the content
is appropriate only for an adult audience. An NC-17 rating can be
based on violence, sex, aberrational behavior, drug abuse or any
other element that most parents would consider too strong and
therefore off-limits for viewing by their children,"

(And, of course, the politics of Hollywood. The same film submitted
by a big studio might get an R, but submitted as an indie might be
NC-17. It's been done.)

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<XnsAE0CC07AFD0Etaustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5990&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5990

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 02:55:18 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 02:55 UTC

djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

> In article <sqb2c3$p8h$1@reader1.panix.com>,
> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>>In <sqb1u1$cb$1@dont-email.me> Lynn McGuire
>><lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With
>>>Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill,
>>>etc. The movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers
>>>find out that a comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month
>>>and people spend the entire seven months arguing about whether
>>>the comet is real or not. Just the opposite of the "Deep
>>>Impact" movie".
>>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>>
>>>Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).
>>
>>Is that supposed to be a warning or a sales point?
>>
> For me, it's a warning; thanks, Lynn.
>
> (Not to mention that it sounds like a stupid plot.)

It sounds like it's Hollywood's idea of social commentary on the
pandemic, anti-vaccine idiocy, and climate change in general.

Like all things Hollywood does, it's done poorly, and stupidly.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<7vpisg19khc3gm472c2e7t63hcudjpum0o@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5991&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5991

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 04:32:15 -0500
 by: J. Clarke - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 09:32 UTC

On Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:38:24 -0600, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With Meryl
>Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, etc. The
>movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers find out that a
>comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
>entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.
>Just the opposite of the "Deep Impact" movie".
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>
>Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).

On balance I enjoyed it. Lot of political charicatures. But I can
see it going down that way.

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<61c9e56f.860573968@localhost>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5992&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5992

From: eichlert...@comcast.net (Bice)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:18:11 GMT
 by: Bice - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:18 UTC

On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:39:18 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>>In <sqb1u1$cb$1@dont-email.me> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>Two astronomers find out that a
>>>comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
>>>entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.
>
>(Not to mention that it sounds like a stupid plot.)

My daughter and I watched the movie Christmas night.

It's not so much about the comet as it is a commentary on how people
would rather believe social media, lying politicians and billionaire
businessmen who support their pre-conceived notions than listen to
scientists telling them that there's a great danger they need to do
something about.

I liked the movie. Good dark comedy, kind of reminded me of something
Stanley Kubrick might make if he was still around.

-- Bob

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<2237f64f-e28e-4675-b642-09b39b05a408n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5994&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5994

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:39:52 -0800 (PST)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 18:39 UTC

On Sunday, 26 December 2021 at 20:50:09 UTC-5, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <sqb4di$c2v$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Is that supposed to be a warning or a sales point?
> >
> >Warning: it is a bunch of 60+ year olds including Meryl Streep (probably
> >her body double).
> /google
>
> DiCaprio's only 47. And still looks like a five-month fetus,
> even when wearing a beard.
That fat-faced global warming phony is beginning to look like Edward G. Robinson, without the talent.

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<sqd714$15p$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5996&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5996

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 14:17:42 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:17 UTC

On 12/26/2021 8:55 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
> djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in
>
>> In article <sqb2c3$p8h$1@reader1.panix.com>,
>> danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

>>> Is that supposed to be a warning or a sales point?
>>>
>> For me, it's a warning; thanks, Lynn.
>>
>> (Not to mention that it sounds like a stupid plot.)
>>
> It sounds like it's Hollywood's idea of social commentary on the
> pandemic, anti-vaccine idiocy, and climate change in general.
>
> Like all things Hollywood does, it's done poorly, and stupidly.

It is a farce. Who would walk out into a new planet naked and unarmed ?

Lynn

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<XnsAE0D91148E95Btaustingmail@85.12.62.245>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5999&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5999

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 14:15:43 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 21:15 UTC

> On 12/26/2021 8:55 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>> djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

>>> For me, it's a warning; thanks, Lynn.
>>>
>>> (Not to mention that it sounds like a stupid plot.)
>>>
>> It sounds like it's Hollywood's idea of social commentary on
>> the pandemic, anti-vaccine idiocy, and climate change in
>> general.
>>
>> Like all things Hollywood does, it's done poorly, and stupidly.
>
> It is a farce. Who would walk out into a new planet naked and
> unarmed ?

Why would they hesitate to do so? The Script Writers are With Them,
and there's no more powerful force known to man.

As I said, stupidly.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<i8hksgpqllol8ttlt913m2nhhtq2a75c1p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6000&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6000

From: jclarke....@gmail.com (J. Clarke)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 17:58:40 -0500
 by: J. Clarke - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 22:58 UTC

On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 14:17:42 -0600, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12/26/2021 8:55 PM, Ninapenda Jibini wrote:
>> djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote in

>>> For me, it's a warning; thanks, Lynn.
>>>
>>> (Not to mention that it sounds like a stupid plot.)
>>>
>> It sounds like it's Hollywood's idea of social commentary on the
>> pandemic, anti-vaccine idiocy, and climate change in general.
>>
>> Like all things Hollywood does, it's done poorly, and stupidly.
>
>It is a farce. Who would walk out into a new planet naked and unarmed ?

Professional do-gooders?

>Lynn

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<61CCBDC2.2F0B@ix.netcom.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6007&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6007

From: starma...@ix.netcom.com (The Starmaker)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 11:57:54 -0800
 by: The Starmaker - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 19:57 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:

> I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix. With Meryl
> Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, etc. The
> movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers find out that a
> comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
> entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.
> Just the opposite of the "Deep Impact" movie".
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>
> Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).
>
> Lynn

You mean...don't look down.

to think the unthinkable, mention the unmentionable, say the unsayable,
and challenge
the unchallengeable.

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<sqii0q$gfc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6008&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6008

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:55:54 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 20:55 UTC

On 12/26/2021 6:38 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> I just watched the new movie "Don't Look Up" on Netflix.  With Meryl
> Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, etc.  The
> movie is the theater of the absurd.  Two astronomers find out that a
> comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
> entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not. Just
> the opposite of the "Deep Impact" movie".
>    https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357
>
> Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).
>
> Lynn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10352813/Meryls-nude-scene-Leonardo-did-NOT-want-see.html

Lynn

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<87ilv1cc9j.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6023&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6023

Followup: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 13:03:04 +0200
 by: Otto J. Makela - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 11:03 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> The movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers find out that
> a comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
> entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.

Considering how the COVID-19 situation is currently going,
this unfortunately seems like a very realistic approach.

Followup-to: rec.arts.movies.current-films,rec.arts.sf.movies
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<ad9215e9-c4c4-4d61-86df-d55893e8b949n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6028&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6028

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 15:04:08 -0800 (PST)
From: orkon.w...@gmail.com (Mike Teal)
 by: Mike Teal - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 23:04 UTC

> > The movie is the theater of the absurd. Two astronomers find out that
> > a comet is going to hit the Earth in seven month and people spend the
> > entire seven months arguing about whether the comet is real or not.
> Considering how the COVID-19 situation is currently going,
> this unfortunately seems like a very realistic approach.

True.

Re: "Don't Look Up" on Netflix

<ss2ca0$ik6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6047&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6047

From: kel...@privacy.invalid (kelown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:12:47 -0600
 by: kelown - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 00:12 UTC

>>> Warning: the ending is NC-17 (full frontal nudity).
>>>
>> Nudity only gets you an R rating, even full frontal nudity. (And that
>> is, in fact, that rating the MPAA gave it, according to IMDB.)
>
> Really ?  I thought that full frontal was a NC-17.

Porky's had plenty of full-frontal and was rated R.