Better to light one candle than to curse the darkness. -- motto of the Christopher Society

arts / alt.history.what-if / Re: US and Armenian Genocide recognition

SubjectAuthor
* US and Armenian Genocide recognitionSolomonW
+* Re: US and Armenian Genocide recognitionChrysi Cat
|`- Re: US and Armenian Genocide recognitionSolomonW
`- Re: US and Armenian Genocide recognitionSolomonW

1
US and Armenian Genocide recognition

<1oh5kqortlwtl.vlizy8ddwmoi.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6045&group=alt.history.what-if#6045

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.medieval
Subject: US and Armenian Genocide recognition
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 20:39:14 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Sat, 24 Apr 2021 10:39 UTC

If the press stories are correct, the US is about to give the Armenian
Genocide recognition. If so, the odds are that many more will follow.

Two countries that will be very upset about this, angering Turkey now, is
not clever. It is a significant military and economic power, the most
powerful in its area. Azerbaijan is a major oil producer. Azerbaijan is
also very active now in anti-Armenian policies.

Whether it happened is disputed, Genocide is a tough case to prove.

Plus, we are moving to a dangerous situation where the state rules on
history. To their credit, most politicians are reluctant to do this.

For the record, Turkish leaders have adamantly refused to acknowledge the
Armenian Genocide at all. They have denied it. They have made no
reparations. Turk has punished people in Turkey who said that it did
happen. It is also believed that Turk has destroyed concrete evidence on
this subject.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Re: US and Armenian Genocide recognition

<OFZgI.107510$2N3.49922@fx33.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6046&group=alt.history.what-if#6046

Subject: Re: US and Armenian Genocide recognition
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.medieval
From: chrysi...@gmail.com (Chrysi Cat)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 12:43:58 -0600
 by: Chrysi Cat - Sat, 24 Apr 2021 18:43 UTC

On 4/24/2021 4:39 AM, SolomonW wrote:

<very political things regarding recognition of the Armenian Genocide,
none of which have anything to do with ALT history>

> Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Yes, I have a thought. You must literally think that the BoP applied
*solely* to the website and to s.h.w-i.

I DON'T think that's the case and you're lucky this place isn't moderated.

This may well mean no one even OPENS anything you wrote for a while,
though, because we don't want to get sucked down a contemporary-politics
rabbit hole.

To put this back on topic, assuming that anyone's still got their ears
on for ME after I acknowledged even the existence of your question:

WI the Armenian Genocide had been recognised when the Ottoman Empire was
being partitioned? Is Ataturk still allowed to take massive amounts of
territory that was supposed to go to Greece, plus other parts of
Anatolia that are never supposed to be reunited, just because he's the
only secularist with power in most of the Empire?

--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger. [she/her. Misgender and die].

Re: US and Armenian Genocide recognition

<ojopnkixsxo8$.1uyr92lr63f8q.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6047&group=alt.history.what-if#6047

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.medieval
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 10:15:22 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Sun, 25 Apr 2021 00:15 UTC

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 12:43:58 -0600, Chrysi Cat wrote:

> Yes, I have a thought. You must literally think that the BoP applied
> *solely* to the website and to s.h.w-i.

okay

Re: US and Armenian Genocide recognition

<1c0nqdlq02nhb$.1j1jnu7i24m2d.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6048&group=alt.history.what-if#6048

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if,soc.history.medieval
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 12:56:38 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Sun, 25 Apr 2021 02:56 UTC

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 20:39:14 +1000, SolomonW wrote:

> If the press stories are correct, the US is about to give the Armenian
> Genocide recognition. If so, the odds are that many more will follow.
>
> Two countries that will be very upset about this, angering Turkey now, is
> not clever. It is a significant military and economic power, the most
> powerful in its area. Azerbaijan is a major oil producer. Azerbaijan is
> also very active now in anti-Armenian policies.
>
> Whether it happened is disputed, Genocide is a tough case to prove.
>
> Plus, we are moving to a dangerous situation where the state rules on
> history. To their credit, most politicians are reluctant to do this.
>
> For the record, Turkish leaders have adamantly refused to acknowledge the
> Armenian Genocide at all. They have denied it. They have made no
> reparations. Turk has punished people in Turkey who said that it did
> happen. It is also believed that Turk has destroyed concrete evidence on
> this subject.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Well the US President Joe Biden has recognised Armenian genocide, this has
triggered a fierce rebuttals from Turkey. It remains to be seen if we have
as big a mess of this as he has with Iran and its nuclear program.