"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific." -- Jane Wagner

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Ian Pace

SubjectAuthor
* Ian Pacecheregi
+* Re: Ian PaceFrank Berger
|`* Re: Ian PaceMandryka
| `* Re: Ian PaceMandryka
|  `* Re: Ian PaceMandryka
|   `* Re: Ian PaceMandryka
|    `- Re: Ian PaceMandryka
+* Re: Ian PaceMarc S
|+- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|`- Re: Ian PaceHT
+- Re: Ian PaceHT
+* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|+* Re: Ian PaceHerman
||`- Re: Ian PaceFrank Berger
|`* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
| +* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
| |+* Re: Ian PaceMandryka
| ||+- Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
| ||`* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
| || +* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
| || +- Re: Ian PaceMandryka
| || +- Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
| || `* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
| ||  `- Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
| |+- Re: Ian PaceMandryka
| |`* Re: Ian PaceHT
| | `- Re: Ian PaceMandryka
| `* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  +* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |+* Re: Ian PaceMandryka
|  ||`- Re: Ian Pacecheregi
|  |`* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  | `* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |  `* Re: Ian Pacecheregi
|  |   `* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |    +* Re: Ian PaceMandryka
|  |    |+- Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |    |`* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |    | `* Re: Ian PaceMandryka
|  |    |  `- Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |    +* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |    |`* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |    | +* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |    | |`* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |    | | `- Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |    | `* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |    |  `- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |    `* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     +* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |     |`* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     | `* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  +* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |     |  |`* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  | +- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  | `- Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |     |  +* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |     |  |+- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  |+- Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |     |  |+* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||`* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  || `* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||  `- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  |+* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||+* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  |||`* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |     |  ||| +* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||| |`- Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |     |  ||| `* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |     |  |||  `* Re: Ian PaceTodd M. McComb
|  |     |  |||   `- Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |     |  ||`- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  |+- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  |+* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||+- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||`- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  |+* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||`- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  |+- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  |+* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||`* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |     |  || `* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||  `* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||   +- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||   `* Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
|  |     |  ||    `* Re: Ian PaceEllie Kerry
|  |     |  ||     `- Re: Ian Pacegggg gggg
> [...]
`* Re: Ian PaceMandryka

Pages:12345
Re: Ian Pace

<6033efb3-1c9a-4734-be13-6ccfb86323f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=53102&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#53102

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 23:22:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Ian Pace
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 07:22 UTC

On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 4:57:35 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 11:45:35 AM UTC-8, Ellie Kerry wrote:

> > > Considering how close modern performances are to ancient performances (and whether modern performances have been made to adapt to the expectations of modern audiences), it may be of interest to know that the emperor of Japan has not always been economically prosperous. At those times, were the musicians and their performances affected and did that influence performances of the future in not being as lavish as in the past?
> > >
> > > According to Wikipedia's article on an emperor who lived in the 1500's:
> > > - ...The Imperial Court was so impoverished, that a nationwide appeal for contributions went out. Contributions from the Hōjō clan, the Ōuchi clan, the Imagawa clan, and other great daimyō clans of the Sengoku period allowed the Emperor to carry out the formal coronation ceremonies ten years later. The Imperial Court's poverty was so extreme that the Emperor was forced to sell his calligraphy.
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Go-Nara#Events_of_Go-Nara's_life
> > interesting to consider what kinds of economic transformations were happening such that the court could become so impoverished at that time. i guess wrapped up with whatever transformations enabled the merchant classes to so far outpace the wealth of landed aristocrats soon after...
> >
> > anyway the idea of gagaku performance as static / a living fossil is totally mythological, even leaving aside the multiple 50 or 100 year gaps in performance after which the music was 'revived'/recreated/reimagined, there is also significant evidence that performance practice changed hugely with transitions from court-employed entertainers to amateur aristocratic circles to temple ritualists and back to court-employed ritualists. so, to your idea about changing performance venue, it makes sense, but it's hard to say anything stronger than 'maybe'.
> According to this:
>
> - Daiei 5, on the 1st day of the 1st month (1525): All ceremonies in the court were suspended because of the lack of funds to support them.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Go-Kashiwabara#Events_of_Go-Kashiwabara's_life

According to this:

- After the end of the War, there was little enthusiasm for reviving the Imperial Court's ancient ceremonies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Go-Tsuchimikado#Events_of_Go-Tsuchimikado's_life

Re: Ian Pace

<89c4b65e-51f1-4a47-bf97-baa39b5bae3dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=53104&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#53104

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 23:43:50 -0800 (PST)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 07:43 UTC

On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 11:22:23 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 4:57:35 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:

> > > interesting to consider what kinds of economic transformations were happening such that the court could become so impoverished at that time. i guess wrapped up with whatever transformations enabled the merchant classes to so far outpace the wealth of landed aristocrats soon after...
> > >
> > > anyway the idea of gagaku performance as static / a living fossil is totally mythological, even leaving aside the multiple 50 or 100 year gaps in performance after which the music was 'revived'/recreated/reimagined, there is also significant evidence that performance practice changed hugely with transitions from court-employed entertainers to amateur aristocratic circles to temple ritualists and back to court-employed ritualists. so, to your idea about changing performance venue, it makes sense, but it's hard to say anything stronger than 'maybe'.
> > According to this:
> >
> > - Daiei 5, on the 1st day of the 1st month (1525): All ceremonies in the court were suspended because of the lack of funds to support them.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Go-Kashiwabara#Events_of_Go-Kashiwabara's_life
> According to this:
>
> - After the end of the War, there was little enthusiasm for reviving the Imperial Court's ancient ceremonies.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Go-Tsuchimikado#Events_of_Go-Tsuchimikado's_life

According to this:

- Tenbun 20, 8th to 9th month (1551): Courtiers in preparation to move the emperor from war-torn Kyoto to the Ōuchi city of Yamaguchi were caught in the Tainei-ji incident, a coup within the Ōuchi clan. The massacre of the courtiers in Yamaguchi resulted in a widespread loss of court records along with knowledge of court rituals and imperial calendar-making.[5] The emperor remained in Kyoto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Go-Nara#Events_of_Go-Nara's_life

Re: Ian Pace

<c93513ed-1b71-4352-9080-c224548d53edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=53911&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#53911

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 23:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 06:37 UTC

On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-8, Ellie Kerry wrote:
> On Friday, January 6, 2023 at 3:12:34 PM UTC-5, gggg gggg wrote:

> > > According to this:
> > >
> > > - The sound of guqin is quite unique, deep, remote, lingering, ethereal and especially “quiet,” which means that the instrument is designed to be performed in intimate settings.
> > >
> > > https://www.shine.cn/feature/art-culture/1804042663/
> > As far as I am concerned, even qin recordings give the impression that the instrument is louder than it really is as if the qin was miked too closely.
> I am glad to get this from someone who it seems has actually heard qin in person, because i do get the sense for example in Jin Wei or some Sou Si-tai recordings that the instrument can't possibly really be that bassy and huge-sounding, and it's kind of annoying to think there's a specific agenda even at the audio-mixing level of making the music more 'exciting'.
>
> it reminds me of finding out that when gagaku is performed live and unamplified, the zithers are basically inaudible, but in virtually every gagaku recording the levels of the zithers are brought up to match the winds and drums out of a sense of 'orchestral' logic where every instrument group should be 'balanced'... whereas to me it's much more interesting to consider the specific needs of 'ritual sound' and how those differ from the aesthetic sensibilities of a human audience attending for pleasure...

Could this apply to gagaku?:

https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/rec.music.classical/c/PKYnU5QcFIU

Re: Ian Pace

<1741fd58-e785-4b7c-884c-90149ea87208n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=53916&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#53916

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 05:35:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: ellie.ke...@georgeblood.com (Ellie Kerry)
 by: Ellie Kerry - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:35 UTC

On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 2:37:57 AM UTC-4, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-8, Ellie Kerry wrote:

> > > As far as I am concerned, even qin recordings give the impression that the instrument is louder than it really is as if the qin was miked too closely.
> > I am glad to get this from someone who it seems has actually heard qin in person, because i do get the sense for example in Jin Wei or some Sou Si-tai recordings that the instrument can't possibly really be that bassy and huge-sounding, and it's kind of annoying to think there's a specific agenda even at the audio-mixing level of making the music more 'exciting'.
> >
> > it reminds me of finding out that when gagaku is performed live and unamplified, the zithers are basically inaudible, but in virtually every gagaku recording the levels of the zithers are brought up to match the winds and drums out of a sense of 'orchestral' logic where every instrument group should be 'balanced'... whereas to me it's much more interesting to consider the specific needs of 'ritual sound' and how those differ from the aesthetic sensibilities of a human audience attending for pleasure...
> Could this apply to gagaku?:
>
> https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/rec.music.classical/c/PKYnU5QcFIU

IMO, Nietzsche is here identifying something real about the development of both gagaku and WCM, but in typical enlightenment and post-enlightenment European philosopher fashion, he pretty much arbitrarily universalizes his observation to end up at a basically absurd claim. I can think of roughly a million counterexamples.

Re: Ian Pace

<cba83577-cd62-48ad-a6d0-d094420cee06n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=53918&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#53918

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 05:36:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: ellie.ke...@georgeblood.com (Ellie Kerry)
 by: Ellie Kerry - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 12:36 UTC

On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 8:35:43 AM UTC-4, Ellie Kerry wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 2:37:57 AM UTC-4, gggg gggg wrote:

> > > I am glad to get this from someone who it seems has actually heard qin in person, because i do get the sense for example in Jin Wei or some Sou Si-tai recordings that the instrument can't possibly really be that bassy and huge-sounding, and it's kind of annoying to think there's a specific agenda even at the audio-mixing level of making the music more 'exciting'.
> > >
> > > it reminds me of finding out that when gagaku is performed live and unamplified, the zithers are basically inaudible, but in virtually every gagaku recording the levels of the zithers are brought up to match the winds and drums out of a sense of 'orchestral' logic where every instrument group should be 'balanced'... whereas to me it's much more interesting to consider the specific needs of 'ritual sound' and how those differ from the aesthetic sensibilities of a human audience attending for pleasure...
> > Could this apply to gagaku?:
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/rec.music.classical/c/PKYnU5QcFIU
> IMO, Nietzsche is here identifying something real about the development of both gagaku and WCM, but in typical enlightenment and post-enlightenment European philosopher fashion, he pretty much arbitrarily universalizes his observation to end up at a basically absurd claim. I can think of roughly a million counterexamples.

And even in the case of gagaku and WCM it's important to note that 'a tradition' simply 'aging' is not at all the driver of the trend.

Re: Ian Pace

<84d3c89e-e36c-40dd-8bb0-56270aba14a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=55375&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#55375

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 20:26:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 03:26 UTC

On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-8, Ellie Kerry wrote:
> On Friday, January 6, 2023 at 3:12:34 PM UTC-5, gggg gggg wrote:

> > > According to this:
> > >
> > > - The sound of guqin is quite unique, deep, remote, lingering, ethereal and especially “quiet,” which means that the instrument is designed to be performed in intimate settings.
> > >
> > > https://www.shine.cn/feature/art-culture/1804042663/
> > As far as I am concerned, even qin recordings give the impression that the instrument is louder than it really is as if the qin was miked too closely.
> I am glad to get this from someone who it seems has actually heard qin in person, because i do get the sense for example in Jin Wei or some Sou Si-tai recordings that the instrument can't possibly really be that bassy and huge-sounding, and it's kind of annoying to think there's a specific agenda even at the audio-mixing level of making the music more 'exciting'.
>
> it reminds me of finding out that when gagaku is performed live and unamplified, the zithers are basically inaudible, but in virtually every gagaku recording the levels of the zithers are brought up to match the winds and drums out of a sense of 'orchestral' logic where every instrument group should be 'balanced'... whereas to me it's much more interesting to consider the specific needs of 'ritual sound' and how those differ from the aesthetic sensibilities of a human audience attending for pleasure...

If you go to 16:30 of the following Youtube upload, you can hear the sound of the soo (gagaku koto) played by itself:

"Sounds of the Court: Gagaku and Ryukyu Uzagaku 国立劇場令和4年11月雅楽公演「宮廷の響き"

Re: Ian Pace

<56672e5b-5e1c-4c5e-97ea-17c3f446cd3an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56328&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56328

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 23:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Thu, 11 May 2023 06:09 UTC

On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 11:22:23 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 4:57:35 PM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:

> > > interesting to consider what kinds of economic transformations were happening such that the court could become so impoverished at that time. i guess wrapped up with whatever transformations enabled the merchant classes to so far outpace the wealth of landed aristocrats soon after...
> > >
> > > anyway the idea of gagaku performance as static / a living fossil is totally mythological, even leaving aside the multiple 50 or 100 year gaps in performance after which the music was 'revived'/recreated/reimagined, there is also significant evidence that performance practice changed hugely with transitions from court-employed entertainers to amateur aristocratic circles to temple ritualists and back to court-employed ritualists. so, to your idea about changing performance venue, it makes sense, but it's hard to say anything stronger than 'maybe'.
> > According to this:
> >
> > - Daiei 5, on the 1st day of the 1st month (1525): All ceremonies in the court were suspended because of the lack of funds to support them.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Go-Kashiwabara#Events_of_Go-Kashiwabara's_life
>
> According to this:
>
> - After the end of the War, there was little enthusiasm for reviving the Imperial Court's ancient ceremonies.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Go-Tsuchimikado#Events_of_Go-Tsuchimikado's_life

According to Chatbot BARD:

Gagaku is a very well-preserved ancient form of music and dance that originated in China and was introduced to Japan in the 7th century. It is still performed today in Japan, and it is considered to be a national treasure.

Gagaku is characterized by its use of traditional instruments, such as the koto (a 13-string zither), the flute, and the drum. The music is often accompanied by dance, and it is performed in a very formal and elegant style.

Gagaku is a very important part of Japanese culture. It is seen as a symbol of Japan's long and rich history, and it is used to mark important occasions, such as the coronation of a new emperor.

There are a number of reasons why gagaku has been so well-preserved. One reason is that it has always been supported by the Japanese government. The government has established schools and academies where gagaku is taught, and it has also sponsored performances of gagaku.

Another reason for the preservation of gagaku is that it has always been seen as a very important part of Japanese culture. It is associated with the imperial court, and it is seen as a symbol of Japan's national identity.

Finally, gagaku has been able to survive because it is a very beautiful and elegant form of music and dance. It is something that people enjoy listening to and watching, and it is something that they are proud to be a part of..

Re: Ian Pace

<c001c010-5295-4d20-82a9-bc1a207d4ed5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56352&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#56352

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 12:34:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: ellie.ke...@georgeblood.com (Ellie Kerry)
 by: Ellie Kerry - Thu, 11 May 2023 19:34 UTC

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 2:09:49 AM UTC-4, gggg gggg wrote:
> According to Chatbot BARD:
>

> Gagaku is a very well-preserved ancient form of music and dance that originated in China and was introduced to Japan in the 7th century. It is still performed today in Japan, and it is considered to be a national treasure.
>
> Gagaku is characterized by its use of traditional instruments, such as the koto (a 13-string zither), the flute, and the drum. The music is often accompanied by dance, and it is performed in a very formal and elegant style.
>
> Gagaku is a very important part of Japanese culture. It is seen as a symbol of Japan's long and rich history, and it is used to mark important occasions, such as the coronation of a new emperor.
>
> There are a number of reasons why gagaku has been so well-preserved. One reason is that it has always been supported by the Japanese government. The government has established schools and academies where gagaku is taught, and it has also sponsored performances of gagaku.
>
> Another reason for the preservation of gagaku is that it has always been seen as a very important part of Japanese culture. It is associated with the imperial court, and it is seen as a symbol of Japan's national identity.
>
> Finally, gagaku has been able to survive because it is a very beautiful and elegant form of music and dance. It is something that people enjoy listening to and watching, and it is something that they are proud to be a part of.

awful

Re: Ian Pace

<3e39c2ae-69d3-4c03-b99a-a61474e5bc23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60597&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#60597

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 22:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 05:46 UTC

On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 12:34:46 PM UTC-7, Ellie Kerry wrote:
> On Thursday, May 11, 2023 at 2:09:49 AM UTC-4, gggg gggg wrote:
> > According to Chatbot BARD:
> >

> > Gagaku is a very well-preserved ancient form of music and dance that originated in China and was introduced to Japan in the 7th century. It is still performed today in Japan, and it is considered to be a national treasure..
> >
> > Gagaku is characterized by its use of traditional instruments, such as the koto (a 13-string zither), the flute, and the drum. The music is often accompanied by dance, and it is performed in a very formal and elegant style.
> >
> > Gagaku is a very important part of Japanese culture. It is seen as a symbol of Japan's long and rich history, and it is used to mark important occasions, such as the coronation of a new emperor.
> >
> > There are a number of reasons why gagaku has been so well-preserved. One reason is that it has always been supported by the Japanese government. The government has established schools and academies where gagaku is taught, and it has also sponsored performances of gagaku.
> >
> > Another reason for the preservation of gagaku is that it has always been seen as a very important part of Japanese culture. It is associated with the imperial court, and it is seen as a symbol of Japan's national identity..
> >
> > Finally, gagaku has been able to survive because it is a very beautiful and elegant form of music and dance. It is something that people enjoy listening to and watching, and it is something that they are proud to be a part of.
> awful

In the 1300's, the royal family split and after World War II, a man named Kumazawa Hiromichi claimed that Hirohito was illegitimate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Court