From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: xkcd: The Last Molecule
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 13:29:04 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 19:29 UTC

xkcd: The Last Molecule
https://xkcd.com/2552/

Nope, chemistry is not complete and is not even close to being complete.
My business partner estimated that we had 2% of interactions between
hydrocarbons mapped out. He had a PhD in Chemical Engineering from Rice
University and taught at the University of Oklahoma for over a decade.

Explained at:
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2552:_The_Last_Molecule

Lynn

Re: xkcd: The Last Molecule

<hj47rglnk41pt9p74dcsrp1ihau5bh44bo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6059&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6059

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Re: xkcd: The Last Molecule
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 09:52:33 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:52 UTC

On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 13:29:04 -0600, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>xkcd: The Last Molecule
> https://xkcd.com/2552/
>
>Nope, chemistry is not complete and is not even close to being complete.
> My business partner estimated that we had 2% of interactions between
>hydrocarbons mapped out. He had a PhD in Chemical Engineering from Rice
>University and taught at the University of Oklahoma for over a decade.

I have my doubts about Physics and Biology as well.

Physics might /never/ be complete -- it might actually /be/ "turtles
all the way down" -- that is, just as once atoms were thought to be
indivisible but are not, who is to say that quarks won't, someday, be
seen as made up of parts? And those parts of parts? And so on ...
forever?

Biology is woefully incomplete. It hasn't even finished /identifying/
all its subjects, never mind figuring out what's going on. OTOH, m-RNA
based viruses show that it has made /some/ progress.

--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: xkcd: The Last Molecule

<r5ydnRzfe_NVTi78nZ2dnUU7-QHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6061&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6061

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:25:11 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
From: john.w.k...@gmail.com (John W Kennedy)
 by: John W Kennedy - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 22:25 UTC

On 12/10/21 12:52 PM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 13:29:04 -0600, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> xkcd: The Last Molecule
>> https://xkcd.com/2552/
>>
>> Nope, chemistry is not complete and is not even close to being complete.
>> My business partner estimated that we had 2% of interactions between
>> hydrocarbons mapped out. He had a PhD in Chemical Engineering from Rice
>> University and taught at the University of Oklahoma for over a decade.
>
> I have my doubts about Physics and Biology as well.
>
> Physics might /never/ be complete -- it might actually /be/ "turtles
> all the way down" -- that is, just as once atoms were thought to be
> indivisible but are not, who is to say that quarks won't, someday, be
> seen as made up of parts? And those parts of parts? And so on ...
> forever?
>
> Biology is woefully incomplete. It hasn't even finished /identifying/
> all its subjects, never mind figuring out what's going on. OTOH, m-RNA
> based viruses show that it has made /some/ progress.
>
>> Explained at:
>> https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2552:_The_Last_Molecule

If I recall aright, some high-ranking scientist in late Victorian times
did pronounce that science would be complete as soon as someone got
around to discovering the poles.

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,

Re: xkcd: The Last Molecule

<pfo9rg5bvtkhics4t46c1g2tpv5e7lgacd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6063&group=rec.arts.comics.strips#6063

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:40:32 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 17:40 UTC

On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:25:11 -0500, John W Kennedy
<john.w.kennedy@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12/10/21 12:52 PM, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 13:29:04 -0600, Lynn McGuire
>> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> xkcd: The Last Molecule
>>> https://xkcd.com/2552/
>>>
>>> Nope, chemistry is not complete and is not even close to being complete.
>>> My business partner estimated that we had 2% of interactions between
>>> hydrocarbons mapped out. He had a PhD in Chemical Engineering from Rice
>>> University and taught at the University of Oklahoma for over a decade.
>>
>> I have my doubts about Physics and Biology as well.
>>
>> Physics might /never/ be complete -- it might actually /be/ "turtles
>> all the way down" -- that is, just as once atoms were thought to be
>> indivisible but are not, who is to say that quarks won't, someday, be
>> seen as made up of parts? And those parts of parts? And so on ...
>> forever?
>>
>> Biology is woefully incomplete. It hasn't even finished /identifying/
>> all its subjects, never mind figuring out what's going on. OTOH, m-RNA
>> based viruses show that it has made /some/ progress.
>>
>>> Explained at:
>>> https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2552:_The_Last_Molecule
>
>If I recall aright, some high-ranking scientist in late Victorian times
>did pronounce that science would be complete as soon as someone got
>around to discovering the poles.

When I was reading the books in the set named /The Great Books of the
Western World/, the early scientific writings tended to claim that
soon everything would be known and so be "perfect".

But they were thinking of a Newtonian clock-work universe, purely
mechanical and 100% predicatable (if we only knew enough) -- and by
"predictable" they did /not/ mean "statistically".

Reality, however, has turned out to be much much much more
complicated.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."