The worst is not so long as we can say "This is the worst." -- King Lear

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

SubjectAuthor
* "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire
|`* Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldJohn Halpenny
| `- Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldRobert Woodward
|`- Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLafe
|`- Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldMichael F. Stemper
 +* Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldScott Lurndal
 |`- Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldRobert Woodward
 `- Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire

1
"Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<shgrb6$6hb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60716&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60716

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 18:56:17 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 23:56 UTC

"Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
https://www.amazon.com/Cryoburn-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1451637500/

Book number seventeen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
series. There are several other books and short stories in the
Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
was nominated for the 2011 Locus awards for best novel. This is my
second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well bound
new MMPB published by Baen in 2011 that I just rebought on Amazon (the
second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the series
in MMPB.

Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan on the planet Kibou-daini,
investigating the plant wide industry of freezing people for diseases,
accidents, or just plain getting old. The cryogenics industry is trying
to spread into the Barrayar Empire, specifically the planet Komarr. But
as usual, all is not what it seems.

BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words. Do not miss it.

Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
2. Falling Free
3. Shards of Honor
4. Barrayar
5. The Warrior's Apprentice
6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
7. The Vor Game
8. Cetaganda
9. Ethan Of Athos
10. Brothers in Arms
11. Mirror Dance
12. Memory
13. Komarr
14. A Civil Campaign
15. Diplomatic Immunity
16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
17. CryoBurn
18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (616 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<shgsc0$kfu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60720&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60720

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 19:13:49 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 00:13 UTC

On 9/10/2021 6:56 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Cryoburn-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1451637500/
>

> Book number seventeen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
> opera series.  However, some people call this a military science fiction
> series.  There are several other books and short stories in the
> Vorkosigan Universe.  This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
> best series in 2017.  Also, several of the individual books in the
> series have either won awards or been nominated for awards.  This book
> was nominated for the 2011 Locus awards for best novel.  This is my
> second reading of this book.  I reread the well printed and well bound
> new MMPB published by Baen in 2011 that I just rebought on Amazon (the
> second printing !).  I have rebought the rest of the books in the series
> in MMPB.
>
> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan on the planet Kibou-daini,
> investigating the plant wide industry of freezing people for diseases,
> accidents, or just plain getting old.  The cryogenics industry is trying
> to spread into the Barrayar Empire, specifically the planet Komarr.  But
> as usual, all is not what it seems.
>
> BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words.  Do not miss it.
>
> Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
>    https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
> 1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
> 2. Falling Free
> 3. Shards of Honor
> 4. Barrayar
> 5. The Warrior's Apprentice
> 6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
> 7. The Vor Game
> 8. Cetaganda
> 9. Ethan Of Athos
> 10. Brothers in Arms
> 11. Mirror Dance
> 12. Memory
> 13. Komarr
> 14. A Civil Campaign
> 15. Diplomatic Immunity
> 16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
> 17. CryoBurn
> 18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
>
> My rating:  5 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating:  4.6 out of 5 stars (616 reviews)
>
> Lynn

^investigating the plant wide industry^investigating the planet wide
industry

Sigh. I never thought I would get this old.

Lynn

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<a031a952-5c59-44fd-b263-3f48190db978n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60723&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60723

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 17:55:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: j.halpe...@rogers.com (John Halpenny)
 by: John Halpenny - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 00:55 UTC

On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 8:13:55 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 9/10/2021 6:56 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/Cryoburn-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1451637500/
> >

> > Book number seventeen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
> > opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
> > series. There are several other books and short stories in the
> > Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
> > best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
> > series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
> > was nominated for the 2011 Locus awards for best novel. This is my
> > second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well bound
> > new MMPB published by Baen in 2011 that I just rebought on Amazon (the
> > second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the series
> > in MMPB.
> >
> > Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan on the planet Kibou-daini,
> > investigating the plant wide industry of freezing people for diseases,
> > accidents, or just plain getting old. The cryogenics industry is trying
> > to spread into the Barrayar Empire, specifically the planet Komarr. But
> > as usual, all is not what it seems.
> >
> > BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words. Do not miss it.
> >
> > Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
> > https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
> > 1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
> > 2. Falling Free
> > 3. Shards of Honor
> > 4. Barrayar
> > 5. The Warrior's Apprentice
> > 6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
> > 7. The Vor Game
> > 8. Cetaganda
> > 9. Ethan Of Athos
> > 10. Brothers in Arms
> > 11. Mirror Dance
> > 12. Memory
> > 13. Komarr
> > 14. A Civil Campaign
> > 15. Diplomatic Immunity
> > 16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
> > 17. CryoBurn
> > 18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
> >
> > My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
> > Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (616 reviews)
> >
> > Lynn
> ^investigating the plant wide industry^investigating the planet wide
> industry
>
> Sigh. I never thought I would get this old.

You will be older tomorrow. And so will I.

John

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<shgvfc$1p0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60726&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60726

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 20:06:48 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 01:06 UTC

On 9/10/2021 7:55 PM, John Halpenny wrote:
> On Friday, September 10, 2021 at 8:13:55 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 9/10/2021 6:56 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Cryoburn-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1451637500/
>>>

>>> Book number seventeen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
>>> opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
>>> series. There are several other books and short stories in the
>>> Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
>>> best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
>>> series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. This book
>>> was nominated for the 2011 Locus awards for best novel. This is my
>>> second reading of this book. I reread the well printed and well bound
>>> new MMPB published by Baen in 2011 that I just rebought on Amazon (the
>>> second printing !). I have rebought the rest of the books in the series
>>> in MMPB.
>>>
>>> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan on the planet Kibou-daini,
>>> investigating the plant wide industry of freezing people for diseases,
>>> accidents, or just plain getting old. The cryogenics industry is trying
>>> to spread into the Barrayar Empire, specifically the planet Komarr. But
>>> as usual, all is not what it seems.
>>>
>>> BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words. Do not miss it.
>>>
>>> Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
>>> https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological
>>> 1. Dreamweaver's Dilemma
>>> 2. Falling Free
>>> 3. Shards of Honor
>>> 4. Barrayar
>>> 5. The Warrior's Apprentice
>>> 6. The Borders of Infinity (The Mountains of Mourning, etc)
>>> 7. The Vor Game
>>> 8. Cetaganda
>>> 9. Ethan Of Athos
>>> 10. Brothers in Arms
>>> 11. Mirror Dance
>>> 12. Memory
>>> 13. Komarr
>>> 14. A Civil Campaign
>>> 15. Diplomatic Immunity
>>> 16. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
>>> 17. CryoBurn
>>> 18. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
>>>
>>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>>> Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (616 reviews)
>>>
>>> Lynn
>> ^investigating the plant wide industry^investigating the planet wide
>> industry
>>
>> Sigh. I never thought I would get this old.
>>
> You will be older tomorrow. And so will I.
>
> John

And it will hurt to get up tomorrow also.

BTW, I am reading a book by John Lambshead right now. I suspect that
you are Canadian though. He is English, a Londoner apparently.

Lynn

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<robertaw-4A35CF.21583610092021@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60740&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60740

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 21:58:36 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 04:58 UTC

In article <shgrb6$6hb$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Cryoburn-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1451637500/
>
> Book number seventeen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
> opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
> series.

And some people call it an SF spy thriller series.

<Snip>

> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan on the planet Kibou-daini,
> investigating the plant wide industry of freezing people for diseases,
> accidents, or just plain getting old. The cryogenics industry is trying
> to spread into the Barrayar Empire, specifically the planet Komarr. But
> as usual, all is not what it seems.
>
> BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words. Do not miss it.

The end of the novel is the last 3 words in chapter 20. What follows are
five 100 word drabbles, but they aren't really part of the novel, IMHO.

<SNIP>

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<16a3ae1f2538eeb6$1$2193376$8d54264@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60743&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60743

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: laf...@lafes.newlafe.net (Lafe)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 05:42:18 +0000
 by: Lafe - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 05:42 UTC

On 2021-09-10, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
<snip>
> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (616 reviews)
>
> Lynn

I have been re-reading this entire series every year or two. Your posts
are reminding me that I'm due another re-read. So thank you for that!

Lafe

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<shhg3u$27o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60745&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60745

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 00:50:54 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 05:50 UTC

On 9/11/2021 12:42 AM, Lafe wrote:
> On 2021-09-10, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
> <snip>
>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (616 reviews)
>>
>> Lynn
>
> I have been re-reading this entire series every year or two. Your posts
> are reminding me that I'm due another re-read. So thank you for that!
>
> Lafe

You are welcome.

Lynn

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<shhg76$27o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60746&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60746

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 00:52:38 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 05:52 UTC

On 9/10/2021 11:58 PM, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <shgrb6$6hb$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Cryoburn-Vorkosigan-Saga-McMaster-Bujold/dp/1451637500/
>>
>> Book number seventeen (in chronological order) of an eighteen book space
>> opera series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
>> series.
>
> And some people call it an SF spy thriller series.
>
> <Snip>
>>
>> Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan on the planet Kibou-daini,
>> investigating the plant wide industry of freezing people for diseases,
>> accidents, or just plain getting old. The cryogenics industry is trying
>> to spread into the Barrayar Empire, specifically the planet Komarr. But
>> as usual, all is not what it seems.
>>
>> BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words. Do not miss it.
>>

> The end of the novel is the last 3 words in chapter 20. What follows are
> five 100 word drabbles, but they aren't really part of the novel, IMHO.
>
> <SNIP>

The series is all things to all people, starting with the space opera
genre for me. There is definitely the series inclination towards the
romance category also.

Lynn

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<shia1j$c4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60758&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60758

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 08:13:01 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:13 UTC

On 10/09/2021 18.56, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

> BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words.  Do not miss it.

After the novel proper are five "Aftermaths", which according to LMB,
are 100 words each. Are you referring to one of them? If so, which?

From my point of view, the sad bit is the last three words of the
novel itself.

--
Michael F. Stemper
The name of the story is "A Sound of Thunder".

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<PW3%I.76809$rl3.39377@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60769&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60769

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:28:47 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:28 UTC

"Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper@gmail.com> writes:
>On 10/09/2021 18.56, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
>
>> BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words.  Do not miss it.
>
>After the novel proper are five "Aftermaths", which according to LMB,
>are 100 words each. Are you referring to one of them? If so, which?
>
> From my point of view, the sad bit is the last three words of the
>novel itself.

Which were foreshadowed in an earlier novel (Brothers in Arms?).

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<robertaw-127807.10004611092021@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60778&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60778

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 10:00:46 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 17:00 UTC

In article <PW3%I.76809$rl3.39377@fx45.iad>,
scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

> "Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper@gmail.com> writes:
> >On 10/09/2021 18.56, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
> >
> >> BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words.  Do not miss it.
> >
> >After the novel proper are five "Aftermaths", which according to LMB,
> >are 100 words each. Are you referring to one of them? If so, which?
> >
> > From my point of view, the sad bit is the last three words of the
> >novel itself.
>
> Which were foreshadowed in an earlier novel (Brothers in Arms?).

IIRC, at the beginning of _Diplomatic Immunity_ (because the liner he
was on was intercepted by an official Barrayar courier), Miles was
worried that he would be addressed as Count Vorkosigan.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<shoi6g$h3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60898&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60898

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 17:09:13 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 22:09 UTC

On 9/11/2021 8:13 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 10/09/2021 18.56, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Cryoburn (Vorkosigan Saga)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
>
>> BTW, at the end of the novel is a sad note of 100 words.  Do not miss it.
>
> After the novel proper are five "Aftermaths", which according to LMB,
> are 100 words each. Are you referring to one of them? If so, which?
>
> From my point of view, the sad bit is the last three words of the
> novel itself.

All of them. I did not realize that each of the aftermaths was 100 words.

Lynn