Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 13:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: In hindsight, did France end up severely screwing Russia over by
winning at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914?
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sun, 2 May 2021 20:30 UTC

In hindsight, did France end up severely screwing Russia over by winning at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914? Had France lost this battle and Paris would have subsequently fallen, then France would have likely been soon knocked out of the war, but this would have ironically been better for Russia since even though Germany would have had a clear shot at the East in this scenario, Russia would have very likely gotten to experience a shorter World War I as well as to completely avoid Communism in this scenario. Even if Russia still gets Brest-Litovsk borders at the end of World War I in this scenario, the fact that Russia would have avoided Communism combined with the fact that Russia's current demographic situation would be ASTRONOMICALLY better than it would be in real life (Russia + Central Asia right now would have had at least 350 million people right now, if not 400 million due to immigration) would have made this scenario a HUGE win for Russia relative to real life--even if Russians in this TL would have failed to actually realize this. And of course Russians in this TL would have had astronomically less misery and suffering during the 20th and early 21st centuries in comparison to Russians in our TL during the same time periods.

Anyway, what do you think?

Re: In hindsight, did France end up severely screwing Russia over by winning at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914?

<16d09gtj1n2ehpv3e8gi1uf4lr6b3kc85l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6079&group=alt.history.what-if#6079

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Re: In hindsight, did France end up severely screwing Russia over by winning at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914?
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 10:44:27 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Mon, 3 May 2021 17:44 UTC

WolfBear <m4josh@gmail.com> on Sun, 2 May 2021 13:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
typed in alt.history.what-if the following:
In hindsight, did France end up severely screwing Russia over by
> winning at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914? Had France lost
> this battle and Paris would have subsequently fallen, then France
> would have likely been soon knocked out of the war, but this would
> have ironically been better for Russia since even though Germany
> would have had a clear shot at the East in this scenario, Russia would
> have very likely gotten to experience a shorter World War I as well as
> to completely avoid Communism in this scenario. Even if Russia still
> gets Brest-Litovsk borders at the end of World War I in this scenario,
> the fact that Russia would have avoided Communism combined with
> the fact that Russia's current demographic situation would be
> ASTRONOMICALLY better than it would be in real life (Russia + Central Asia
> right now would have had at least 350 million people right now, if not 400 million
> due to immigration) would have made this scenario a HUGE win for Russia relative
> to real life--even if Russians in this TL would have failed to actually realize this.
> And of course Russians in this TL would have had astronomically less misery and
> suffering during the 20th and early 21st centuries in comparison to Russians in our
>TL during the same time periods.
>
> Anyway, what do you think?

If the Tsar loses the War, what prevents some kind of revolution
anyway? It has been argued that the Bolsheviks were only successful
because the Kerensky government hadn't ended the war, nor suppressed
the Bolshivik faction.
--
pyotr filipivich
"History rarely repeats herself" is the cliche. In reality she just

Re: In hindsight, did France end up severely screwing Russia over by winning at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914?

<46dc5416-442a-462b-a1d5-cb3ea25f979cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6080&group=alt.history.what-if#6080

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 16:37:02 -0700 (PDT)
winning at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914?
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Mon, 3 May 2021 23:37 UTC

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 10:44:39 AM UTC-7, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> WolfBear <m4j...@gmail.com> on Sun, 2 May 2021 13:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
> typed in alt.history.what-if the following:
> In hindsight, did France end up severely screwing Russia over by
> > winning at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914? Had France lost
> > this battle and Paris would have subsequently fallen, then France
> > would have likely been soon knocked out of the war, but this would
> > have ironically been better for Russia since even though Germany
> > would have had a clear shot at the East in this scenario, Russia would
> > have very likely gotten to experience a shorter World War I as well as
> > to completely avoid Communism in this scenario. Even if Russia still
> > gets Brest-Litovsk borders at the end of World War I in this scenario,
> > the fact that Russia would have avoided Communism combined with
> > the fact that Russia's current demographic situation would be
> > ASTRONOMICALLY better than it would be in real life (Russia + Central Asia
> > right now would have had at least 350 million people right now, if not 400 million
> > due to immigration) would have made this scenario a HUGE win for Russia relative
> > to real life--even if Russians in this TL would have failed to actually realize this.
> > And of course Russians in this TL would have had astronomically less misery and
> > suffering during the 20th and early 21st centuries in comparison to Russians in our
> >TL during the same time periods.
> >
> > Anyway, what do you think?
> If the Tsar loses the War, what prevents some kind of revolution
> anyway? It has been argued that the Bolsheviks were only successful
> because the Kerensky government hadn't ended the war, nor suppressed
> the Bolshivik faction.
> --
> pyotr filipivich
> "History rarely repeats herself" is the cliche. In reality she just
> lets fly with a frying pan yelling "Why weren't you listening the first time!?"

Sure, the Russian Tsar might still get overthrown. But a more liberal/moderate Russian government would have astronomically greater odds of permanently surviving in this scenario. A victorious Germany won't actually allow Russia to turn Red, after all.