From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: Mel Gibson does yeoman's work in movies, did Hollywood "cancel" him?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:01:43 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:01 UTC

On 2022-01-25 16:42:44 +0000, shawn said:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:11:33 +1300, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
> wrote:

>>> "2004's The Passion of the Christ, which Gibson directed, co-wrote and
>>> produced, was a major milestone in faith-based filmmaking, earning more
>>> than $611 million worldwide on a $30 million budget. It's the
>>> highest-grossing R-rated film ever in North America with $370.8
>>> million."
>>
>> Then he went nutso on the phone to his ex-girlfriend ... ranting at her
>> 30 times in one night!! The guy is a lunatic with massive anger issues.
>> He's best forgotten about.
>
> He's behavior in his real life doesn't really impact my enjoyment (or
> lack thereof) his performance in the movies.

Maybe not, but it does impact the studio's decision whether or not to
employ someone who might go nutso again at any moment or bring bad
press coverage t their products.

The same has happened with numerous other celebrities who went nutso.
Some manage to claw back their careers, others get stranded doing only
low grade productions or presenting "reality" TV shows, and some
disappear from the limelight completely ... a few somehow manage to
make being nutso their career (Britney Spears being one).