There is no sin but ignorance. -- Christopher Marlowe

arts / alt.history.what-if / Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?

SubjectAuthor
* Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actuallyWolfBear
`* Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realiThe Horny Goat
 +* Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realiSolomonW
 `* Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were everedstas...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were everdama...@gmail.com

1
Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?

<49221493-86e7-4659-b5b4-9d79ba3d65e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6092&group=alt.history.what-if#6092

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 14:21:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Mon, 10 May 2021 21:21 UTC

USW = unrestricted submarine warfare.

FWIW, I'm also talking about alternate TLs here--so, for instance, an alt-WWI where the Franco-Russians fight against the Anglo-Germans.

Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?

<1fuj9g92uuset4m6iacg509qjdjh0afugr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6093&group=alt.history.what-if#6093

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 20:32:43 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 11 May 2021 03:32 UTC

On Mon, 10 May 2021 14:21:36 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear <m4josh@gmail.com>
wrote:

>USW = unrestricted submarine warfare.
>
>FWIW, I'm also talking about alternate TLs here--so, for instance, an alt-WWI where the Franco-Russians fight against the Anglo-Germans.

Realistically only Britain - France didn't have nearly enough subs.

And the UK and USA had not been at war since 1815 unless you include
the 1859 "Pig War" and I would argue that both Buchanan and Lincoln
had far more on their plates than simply trading post pigs. (In fact I
would argue the death of John Brown around the same time was far more
important than a minor kerfuffle in the San Juan Islands between
mainland North America and Vancouver Island.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?

<4y08xtekfpal.cot1zez9bc26.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6094&group=alt.history.what-if#6094

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:27:55 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Tue, 11 May 2021 05:27 UTC

On Mon, 10 May 2021 20:32:43 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2021 14:21:36 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear <m4josh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>USW = unrestricted submarine warfare.
>>
>>FWIW, I'm also talking about alternate TLs here--so, for instance, an alt-WWI where the Franco-Russians fight against the Anglo-Germans.
>
> Realistically only Britain - France didn't have nearly enough subs.

France was a pioneer in submarine technology and had a few. Moreover, its
naval bases were well-positioned for such a conflict.

ttps://www.naval-encyclopedia.com/ww1/france/submarines

In comparison,
Germany had few submarines before ww1 and was starting up this technology.

Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?

<bc6b2e91-dfa3-4557-a89e-6530a4df597cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6095&group=alt.history.what-if#6095

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 03:42:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (edstas...@gmail.com)
 by: edstas...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 May 2021 10:42 UTC

> The Horny Goat
> > WolfBear
> >
> > USW = unrestricted submarine warfare.
>
> Realistically only Britain - France didn't have nearly enough subs.

The Japanese could have done it prior to WWII, had they realized the
war in the Pacific would be about logistics and not an epic showdown
between battleships. Which the U.S. _did_ realize and ended up choking
the life out’a Japan with subs.

Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?

<91f6acaa-e2af-4ed8-ad45-d3bd07f1c92an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6096&group=alt.history.what-if#6096

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 05:04:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: damark...@gmail.com (dama...@gmail.com)
 by: dama...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 May 2021 12:04 UTC

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:42:40 AM UTC-4, edstas...@gmail.com wrote:
> > The Horny Goat
> > > WolfBear
> > >
> > > USW = unrestricted submarine warfare.
> >
> > Realistically only Britain - France didn't have nearly enough subs.
> The Japanese could have done it prior to WWII, had they realized the
> war in the Pacific would be about logistics and not an epic showdown
> between battleships. Which the U.S. _did_ realize and ended up choking
> the life out’a Japan with subs.
No, Japanese subs of WWI were coastal types without the range needed to interdict US shipping. I suppose they could have intercepted shipping approaching China but even then, the Japanese Navy did not see subs as anti-merchant shipping. Rather they already had the idea to use subs to pick of the US Navy heavies.

Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?

<6j6l9g1rbja50v7kc8bo2iu1dsau4ftedg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6097&group=alt.history.what-if#6097

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 07:55:32 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 11 May 2021 14:55 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 15:27:55 +1000, SolomonW <SolomonW@citi.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 10 May 2021 20:32:43 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 May 2021 14:21:36 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear <m4josh@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>USW = unrestricted submarine warfare.
>>>
>>>FWIW, I'm also talking about alternate TLs here--so, for instance, an alt-WWI where the Franco-Russians fight against the Anglo-Germans.
>>
>> Realistically only Britain - France didn't have nearly enough subs.
>
>France was a pioneer in submarine technology and had a few. Moreover, its
>naval bases were well-positioned for such a conflict.
>

>ttps://www.naval-encyclopedia.com/ww1/france/submarines
>

>In comparison,
>Germany had few submarines before ww1 and was starting up this technology.

I'm aware of all that - but unrestricted submarine warfare against the
USA in the 50 years following the Civil War (which I presume is the
era you're discussing) is in my opinion too much of a stretch given
French forces - there's simply too much coast to cover.

Even if you handwave French bases in Mexico (even Maximillian wouldn't
be that daft!) the logistics simply don't work.

Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?

<f331c61d-3782-4218-a766-aae8287fd279n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6098&group=alt.history.what-if#6098

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:23:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Tue, 11 May 2021 22:23 UTC

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 7:55:36 AM UTC-7, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2021 15:27:55 +1000, SolomonW <Solo...@citi.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 10 May 2021 20:32:43 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:

> >> Realistically only Britain - France didn't have nearly enough subs.
> >
> >France was a pioneer in submarine technology and had a few. Moreover, its
> >naval bases were well-positioned for such a conflict.
> >

> >ttps://www.naval-encyclopedia.com/ww1/france/submarines
> >

> >In comparison,
> >Germany had few submarines before ww1 and was starting up this technology.
> >

> I'm aware of all that - but unrestricted submarine warfare against the
> USA in the 50 years following the Civil War (which I presume is the
> era you're discussing) is in my opinion too much of a stretch given
> French forces - there's simply too much coast to cover.
>
> Even if you handwave French bases in Mexico (even Maximillian wouldn't
> be that daft!) the logistics simply don't work.

The French USW would be against Britain and Germany, not against the US. But this would drag the US into a general European war just like it did with German USW in real life.

Re: Which Great Powers other than Germany do you think were ever actually *realistically* capable of launching USW against the US to such a point that the US would subsequently declare war against them?

<offm9gddsdimi6eljrie2p33cv51ai0fmf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6099&group=alt.history.what-if#6099

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fdcspool3.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!peer02.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!fx46.iad.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 19:33:36 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 12 May 2021 02:33 UTC

On Tue, 11 May 2021 15:23:04 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear <m4josh@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 7:55:36 AM UTC-7, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 May 2021 15:27:55 +1000, SolomonW <Solo...@citi.com>
>> wrote:
>> >In comparison,
>> >Germany had few submarines before ww1 and was starting up this technology.
>> >
>> I'm aware of all that - but unrestricted submarine warfare against the
>> USA in the 50 years following the Civil War (which I presume is the
>> era you're discussing) is in my opinion too much of a stretch given
>> French forces - there's simply too much coast to cover.
>>
>> Even if you handwave French bases in Mexico (even Maximillian wouldn't
>> be that daft!) the logistics simply don't work.
>
>The French USW would be against Britain and Germany, not against the US. But this would drag the US into a general European war just like it did with German USW in real life.

And would have the same long term impact as 1814-15 - and I >don't<
mean the battle of New Orleans either!

Overall I'd say the balance of power pretty much any time after 1865
is far more against France than Germany in 1914. And that this is
particularly true at sea.