From: mjq...@mjq.net (Mr. Mike)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Subject: Best classical music for kids
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 07:42:16 -0700
 by: Mr. Mike - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:42 UTC

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/best-classical-music-kids/

This recent article suggests 10 "best pieces" of classical music for
children:

Camille Saint-Saëns - Carnival of the Animals
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker
Sergei Prokofiev - Peter and the Wolf
Ludwig van Beethoven - Für Elise
Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: Othello Suite
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
George Frideric - Water Music
Amy Beach - Romance for Violin and Piano
Benjamin Britten - The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra
Georges Bizet - Overture to Carmen

I would suggest the following, a bit more challenging:

Schoenberg's Wind Quintet
Carter's Concerto for Orchestra
Penderecki's Devils of Loudun
Leyland Kirby's Everywhere at the End of Time
Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony
Stockhausen's Licht
Feldman's String Quartet #2
Henze's Versuch Über Schweine
Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum
Peter Maxwell Davies' Songs for a Mad King

Any other ideas?

Re: Best classical music for kids

<hJacnaL0xdg3SJj4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60995&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#60995

From: ads...@clipboardinc.com (Owen Hartnett)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Subject: Re: Best classical music for kids
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:19:54 +0000
 by: Owen Hartnett - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:19 UTC

On Sep 16, 2023 at 10:42:16 AM EDT, "Mr. Mike" <mjq@mjq.net> wrote:

> https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/best-classical-music-kids/
>
> This recent article suggests 10 "best pieces" of classical music for
> children:
>
> Camille Saint-Saëns - Carnival of the Animals
> Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker
> Sergei Prokofiev - Peter and the Wolf
> Ludwig van Beethoven - Für Elise
> Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: Othello Suite
> Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
> George Frideric - Water Music
> Amy Beach - Romance for Violin and Piano
> Benjamin Britten - The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra
> Georges Bizet - Overture to Carmen
>
> I would suggest the following, a bit more challenging:
>
> Schoenberg's Wind Quintet
> Carter's Concerto for Orchestra
> Penderecki's Devils of Loudun
> Leyland Kirby's Everywhere at the End of Time
> Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony
> Stockhausen's Licht
> Feldman's String Quartet #2
> Henze's Versuch Über Schweine
> Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum
> Peter Maxwell Davies' Songs for a Mad King
>
> Any other ideas?

I would suggest the following, a lot less challenging:

Any cartoon that features a classical music piece.
Fantasia

I found that some classical music was already imprinted on my infantile brain
(some might swear there's no diffence today) was indelible and resulted in
future discoveries in later years. Wait! I know this music! It's with that
angry crow that marches along to it! Oh, it's the Hebrides Overture! The poet
and peasant overture! Popeye! Wagner! Bugs Bunny. The list is almost endless.
In many cartoons, the music is the central theme - it revolves around the
music.

Cartoons today feature popular pap and will add nothing to a child's music
appreciation.

-Owen