"Free markets select for winning solutions." -- Eric S. Raymond

arts / alt.history.what-if / Re: If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany more likely to acquire the Philippines first?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany moreWolfBear
`* Re: If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany moreWes Roehl
 `- Re: If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany moreWolfBear

1
Re: If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany more likely to acquire the Philippines first?

<a824f9f2-74a2-494a-b10d-b60eeb282794n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6121&group=alt.history.what-if#6121

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 17:10:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany more
likely to acquire the Philippines first?
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sun, 16 May 2021 00:10 UTC

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 2:56:47 PM UTC-8, WolfBear wrote:
> If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany more likely to acquire the Philippines first?

Anyone?

Re: If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany more likely to acquire the Philippines first?

<44a3cd5c-fc20-45da-a599-a0ced747f265n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6122&group=alt.history.what-if#6122

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 18:58:08 -0700 (PDT)
likely to acquire the Philippines first?
From: wro...@gmail.com (Wes Roehl)
 by: Wes Roehl - Sun, 16 May 2021 01:58 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 8:10:18 PM UTC-4, WolfBear wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 2:56:47 PM UTC-8, WolfBear wrote:
> > If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany more likely to acquire the Philippines first?
> Anyone?
I seem to recall that the UK was opposed to German acquisition of the Philippines. While this is prior to the Japan-UK of 1902 the conditions are probably in place for the UK to informally support Japan in this issue; perhaps by encouraging Spain to sell the Philippines to Japan. A Japanese Philippines would add an interesting wrinkle to later events in the Pacific. (As does no Spanish-American War in general--key impacts on the issue of US imperialism and if WW1 goes as in OTL, all the lessons the US learned in the war with Spain (organization, command and control, logistics) now have to be learned while fighting a more formidable opponent).

wes

Re: If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany more likely to acquire the Philippines first?

<ab35fc9c-ea5c-40e7-98b2-a3c184b0118an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6127&group=alt.history.what-if#6127

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:37:11 -0700 (PDT)
likely to acquire the Philippines first?
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Mon, 17 May 2021 21:37 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 6:58:09 PM UTC-7, Wes Roehl wrote:
> On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 8:10:18 PM UTC-4, WolfBear wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 2:56:47 PM UTC-8, WolfBear wrote:
> > > If there is no Spanish-American War, is Japan or Germany more likely to acquire the Philippines first?
> > Anyone?
> I seem to recall that the UK was opposed to German acquisition of the Philippines. While this is prior to the Japan-UK of 1902 the conditions are probably in place for the UK to informally support Japan in this issue; perhaps by encouraging Spain to sell the Philippines to Japan. A Japanese Philippines would add an interesting wrinkle to later events in the Pacific. (As does no Spanish-American War in general--key impacts on the issue of US imperialism and if WW1 goes as in OTL, all the lessons the US learned in the war with Spain (organization, command and control, logistics) now have to be learned while fighting a more formidable opponent).
>
> wes

Another possibility if a partition of the Philippines between Britain and Japan (similar to how Morocco was partitioned between France and Spain later on in real life) or a joint Anglo-Japanese condominium over the Philippines. AFAIK, Japan actually did propose the condominium option for the Philippines in 1898 in real life in the event that the US would have been uninterested in fully taking over these islands by themselves.