Nobody wants constructive criticism. It's all we can do to put up with constructive praise.

arts / alt.history.what-if / AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen

SubjectAuthor
* AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happenWolfBear
`* Re: AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happenTrolidous
 `* Re: AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happenWolfBear
  `- Re: AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happenpyotr filipivich

1
AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen

<145f107b-18f2-4112-9895-8e094dc3c249n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6129&group=alt.history.what-if#6129

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:49:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Mon, 17 May 2021 21:49 UTC

How exactly do we make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen? Also, it has to be a partition of Afghanistan that does NOT involve either Russia/the Soviet Union or British India/Pakistan actually conquering and annexing any or at least much Afghan territory.

Re: AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen

<s8ioep$2kc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6168&group=alt.history.what-if#6168

From: x...@troll.org (Trolidous)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 04:52:54 -0700
 by: Trolidous - Tue, 25 May 2021 11:52 UTC

On 5/17/21 2:49 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> How exactly do we make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen? Also, it has to be a partition of Afghanistan that does NOT involve either Russia/the Soviet Union or British India/Pakistan actually conquering and annexing any or at least much Afghan territory.

'Conquering and annexing' is a very nebulous term when
it comes to client states and simply trading.

Remember, Spain and Portugal owned the entire world
since the early 1500s when the Pope gave it to them,
and it seems more than feasible that a significant
percentage of those people who became part of Spain
and Portugal, did not know of the existence of Spain
or Portugal at all, and never did throughout their
entire lives, even though the treaty at least said
they were part of Spain or Portugal.

The U.K. of course recognized the existence of some
of the client states in India up until independence.

If you want to figure out what happened after independence
you can watch some of the background in the Bollywood movie
'Lootera'. (I am thinking that some versions have an array
of subtitles in different languages.)

If some more of the Durrani Empire gets shuffled into the 'British
sphere of influence' and it becomes called a bit more of a
'client state', then it becomes part of 'Pakistan' with the
partition of India. Afghanistan becoming part of Pakistan is
not really that difficult to happen.

Probably if King Amanullah had not sent a letter to the British
government saying: "It is a matter of great regret that the throwing of
bombs by Zeppelins on London was denounced as a most savage act and the
bombardment of places of worship and sacred spots was considered a most
abominable operation, while now we see with our own eyes that such
operations were a habit which is prevalent amongst all civilized people
of the West." (a diplomatic by product of the Third
Anglo-Afghan War) -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Anglo-Afghan_War

Then probably, our geographic Afghanistan would have become part of
Pakistan upon partition, and no one would ever have noticed that
Afghanistan had not naturally been part of Pakistan since the beginning
of time.

Re: AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen

<1d89c4a7-63e0-49b0-bc39-2a3774be18can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6309&group=alt.history.what-if#6309

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 00:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 07:46 UTC

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 4:52:58 AM UTC-7, Trolidous wrote:
> On 5/17/21 2:49 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> > How exactly do we make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen? Also, it has to be a partition of Afghanistan that does NOT involve either Russia/the Soviet Union or British India/Pakistan actually conquering and annexing any or at least much Afghan territory.
> 'Conquering and annexing' is a very nebulous term when
> it comes to client states and simply trading.
>
> Remember, Spain and Portugal owned the entire world
> since the early 1500s when the Pope gave it to them,
> and it seems more than feasible that a significant
> percentage of those people who became part of Spain
> and Portugal, did not know of the existence of Spain
> or Portugal at all, and never did throughout their
> entire lives, even though the treaty at least said
> they were part of Spain or Portugal.
>
> The U.K. of course recognized the existence of some
> of the client states in India up until independence.
>
> If you want to figure out what happened after independence
> you can watch some of the background in the Bollywood movie
> 'Lootera'. (I am thinking that some versions have an array
> of subtitles in different languages.)
>
> If some more of the Durrani Empire gets shuffled into the 'British
> sphere of influence' and it becomes called a bit more of a
> 'client state', then it becomes part of 'Pakistan' with the
> partition of India. Afghanistan becoming part of Pakistan is
> not really that difficult to happen.
>
> Probably if King Amanullah had not sent a letter to the British
> government saying: "It is a matter of great regret that the throwing of
> bombs by Zeppelins on London was denounced as a most savage act and the
> bombardment of places of worship and sacred spots was considered a most
> abominable operation, while now we see with our own eyes that such
> operations were a habit which is prevalent amongst all civilized people
> of the West." (a diplomatic by product of the Third
> Anglo-Afghan War) -
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Anglo-Afghan_War
>
> Then probably, our geographic Afghanistan would have become part of
> Pakistan upon partition, and no one would ever have noticed that
> Afghanistan had not naturally been part of Pakistan since the beginning
> of time.

What would the effects of having Afghanistan be a part of Pakistan be?

Re: AHC: Make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen

<vf3vbg96tljas0n0stev2hluokqq06ehmt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6317&group=alt.history.what-if#6317

From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 08:47:11 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 15:47 UTC

WolfBear <m4josh@gmail.com> on Tue, 8 Jun 2021 00:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
typed in alt.history.what-if the following:
>On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 4:52:58 AM UTC-7, Trolidous wrote:
>> On 5/17/21 2:49 PM, WolfBear wrote:
>> > How exactly do we make a partition of Afghanistan realistically happen? Also, it has to be a partition of Afghanistan that does NOT involve either Russia/the Soviet Union or British India/Pakistan actually conquering and annexing any or at least much Afghan territory.
>> 'Conquering and annexing' is a very nebulous term when
>> it comes to client states and simply trading.
>>
>> Remember, Spain and Portugal owned the entire world
>> since the early 1500s when the Pope gave it to them,
>> and it seems more than feasible that a significant
>> percentage of those people who became part of Spain
>> and Portugal, did not know of the existence of Spain
>> or Portugal at all, and never did throughout their
>> entire lives, even though the treaty at least said
>> they were part of Spain or Portugal.
>>
>> The U.K. of course recognized the existence of some
>> of the client states in India up until independence.
>>
>> If you want to figure out what happened after independence
>> you can watch some of the background in the Bollywood movie
>> 'Lootera'. (I am thinking that some versions have an array
>> of subtitles in different languages.)
>>
>> If some more of the Durrani Empire gets shuffled into the 'British
>> sphere of influence' and it becomes called a bit more of a
>> 'client state', then it becomes part of 'Pakistan' with the
>> partition of India. Afghanistan becoming part of Pakistan is
>> not really that difficult to happen.
>>
>> Probably if King Amanullah had not sent a letter to the British
>> government saying: "It is a matter of great regret that the throwing of
>> bombs by Zeppelins on London was denounced as a most savage act and the
>> bombardment of places of worship and sacred spots was considered a most
>> abominable operation, while now we see with our own eyes that such
>> operations were a habit which is prevalent amongst all civilized people
>> of the West." (a diplomatic by product of the Third
>> Anglo-Afghan War) -
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Anglo-Afghan_War
>>
>> Then probably, our geographic Afghanistan would have become part of
>> Pakistan upon partition, and no one would ever have noticed that
>> Afghanistan had not naturally been part of Pakistan since the beginning
>> of time.
>
>What would the effects of having Afghanistan be a part of Pakistan be?

I would suspect that the Pushtan tribes would not have any
international borders to ignore when traveling on business or to visit
family.
As for the Pakistanis - think the "North Western Territories" only
larger.
--
pyotr filipivich
"History rarely repeats herself" is the cliche. In reality she just