From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [review] Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:03:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:03 UTC

Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/for-something-pure-and-true

Re: [review] Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis

<2af011ec-330a-4829-8cb6-91f2ce6397c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62052&group=rec.arts.sf.written#62052

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 21:27:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 04:27 UTC

On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 8:03:05 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:
> Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis
> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/for-something-pure-and-true

I think I would have to read the book before I could make sense of your review.

Anti-social aliens, with technology far beyond our own...

and, so, because they're anti-social, they are only willing to communicate with
a select few Earth people. As opposed to conquering the Earth and crushing it
under their heels.

But then I've been on a comic book reading binge lately. Perhaps this makes perfect
sense; it's not as if savages like us would have anything they want.

John Savard

Re: [review] Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis

<r0C3Gz.1uEB@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62054&group=rec.arts.sf.written#62054

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 05:05:23 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 05:05 UTC

In article <2af011ec-330a-4829-8cb6-91f2ce6397c1n@googlegroups.com>,
Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 8:03:05 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:
>> Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis
>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/for-something-pure-and-true
>
>I think I would have to read the book before I could make sense of your review.
>
>Anti-social aliens, with technology far beyond our own...
>
>and, so, because they're anti-social, they are only willing to communicate with
>a select few Earth people. As opposed to conquering the Earth and crushing it
>under their heels.
>
>But then I've been on a comic book reading binge lately. Perhaps this
>makes perfect
>sense; it's not as if savages like us would have anything they want.

There have been several Doctor Who episodes in which the aliens
want our atmosphere, full of tasty toxic chemicals.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: [review] Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis

<sj9oq6$c71$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62060&group=rec.arts.sf.written#62060

From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 14:02:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 14:02 UTC

In article <r0C3Gz.1uEB@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <2af011ec-330a-4829-8cb6-91f2ce6397c1n@googlegroups.com>,
>Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>>On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 8:03:05 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:
>>> Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis
>>> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/for-something-pure-and-true
>>
>>I think I would have to read the book before I could make sense of your review.
>>
>>Anti-social aliens, with technology far beyond our own...
>>
>>and, so, because they're anti-social, they are only willing to communicate with
>>a select few Earth people. As opposed to conquering the Earth and crushing it
>>under their heels.
>>
>>But then I've been on a comic book reading binge lately. Perhaps this
>>makes perfect
>>sense; it's not as if savages like us would have anything they want.
>
>There have been several Doctor Who episodes in which the aliens
>want our atmosphere, full of tasty toxic chemicals.

In this case, Earth has nothing the aliens cannot get more easily,
closer to home. Having convinced themselves interspecies communication
is impossible, and would only risk cultural contamination if it was
possible, they ignore us. If we somehow drew attention to ourselves,
that might be enough to convince them we were threats to be exterminated.

Re: [review] Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis

<d8958b80-ec84-4a6f-a845-55b37f746a0fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62071&group=rec.arts.sf.written#62071

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 09:01:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carn...@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 16:01 UTC

On Saturday, 2 October 2021 at 06:15:03 UTC+1, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <2af011ec-330a-4829...@googlegroups.com>,
> Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, September 28, 2021 at 8:03:05 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:
> >> Truth of the Divine (Noumena, volume 2) by Lindsay Ellis
> >> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/for-something-pure-and-true
> >
> >I think I would have to read the book before I could make sense of your review.
> >
> >Anti-social aliens, with technology far beyond our own...
> >
> >and, so, because they're anti-social, they are only willing to communicate with
> >a select few Earth people. As opposed to conquering the Earth and crushing it
> >under their heels.
> >
> >But then I've been on a comic book reading binge lately. Perhaps this
> >makes perfect
> >sense; it's not as if savages like us would have anything they want.
> There have been several Doctor Who episodes in which the aliens
> want our atmosphere, full of tasty toxic chemicals.

I've missed some recent episodes, but I think the aliens
typically want Earth's atmosphere to be much more toxic,
to us, than it currently is.

At risk of spoiling a book that is nothing to do with
_Doctor Who_, there were flying aliens that enjoyed
our atmospheric pollutants, and post apocalypse
we were no longer producing enough of it, but they
had some means of conserving the remainder of
the supply. (ROT13, gryrzcnguolfcvqreebovafba)