There's such a thing as too much point on a pencil. -- H. Allen Smith, "Let the Crabgrass Grow"

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

SubjectAuthor
* "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldJoy Beeson
 `* Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire
  +* Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldRobert Woodward
  |`- Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire
  +- Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldChristian Weisgerber
  +- Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldNinapenda Jibini
  `* Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Horny Goat
   +* Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldScott Lurndal
   |+- Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Horny Goat
   |`* Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Horny Goat
   | `* Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldScott Lurndal
   |  +- Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldThe Horny Goat
   |  `* Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldLynn McGuire
   |   `- Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldRobert Woodward
   `- Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster BujoldJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

1
"Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<sc2hae$18m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56450&group=rec.arts.sf.written#56450

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 16:18:02 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 21:18 UTC

"Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
https://www.amazon.com/Cetaganda-Vorkosigan-Adventure-McMaster-Bujold/dp/0671877445/

Book number seven (in chronological order) of a sixteen book space opera
series. However, some people call this a military science fiction
series. There are several other books and short stories in the
Vorkosigan Universe. This series won the Hugo and Nebula awards for
best series in 2017. Also, several of the individual books in the
series have either won awards or been nominated for awards. I have read
this book several times as it is one of my favorite books. I reread the
well printed and well bound new MMPB published by Baen in 1996 that I
just rebought on Amazon. I have rebought the rest of the books in the
series in various formats, mostly MMPB.

Lord Miles Vorkosigan and Lord Ivan Vorpatril have traveled to the lead
world, Eta Ceta IV, of the Cetagandan empire to represent their planet
Barrayar at the Empresses funeral. Communications between the two
empires are still stressed due to the attempted invasion by Cetaganda
fifty years earlier which resulted in the deaths of five million
Barrayar citizens, mostly due to planetary bombardments using nuclear
weapons. As usual, Miles is in the middle of a conspiracy, this time at
the center of the Cetaganda Empires internal politics.

Vorkosigan Saga (Chronological) by Lois McMaster Bujold
https://www.goodreads.com/series/98254-vorkosigan-saga-chronological

My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (311 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<1mrhegh3t0hh20l75lq4n2llljcdak6ukl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56632&group=rec.arts.sf.written#56632

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 20:50:56 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 00:50 UTC

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 16:18:02 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Cetaganda-Vorkosigan-Adventure-McMaster-Bujold/dp/0671877445/

The most memorable line is spoken by Miles, upon realizing that he has
saved Cetganda from breaking up, something along the lines of "I've
always dreamed of saving the empire, but I thought it would be
Barryar."

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<scb0cr$nms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56636&group=rec.arts.sf.written#56636

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 21:24:22 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 02:24 UTC

On 7/9/2021 7:50 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 16:18:02 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Cetaganda-Vorkosigan-Adventure-McMaster-Bujold/dp/0671877445/
>>
> The most memorable line is spoken by Miles, upon realizing that he has
> saved Cetganda from breaking up, something along the lines of "I've
> always dreamed of saving the empire, but I thought it would be
> Barryar."

And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which Emperor
Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles wears the
Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with Emperor Gregor of
Barrayar. That is some very nice pacing.

Lynn

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<robertaw-D8FD1A.21502409072021@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56640&group=rec.arts.sf.written#56640

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 21:50:24 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 04:50 UTC

In article <scb0cr$nms$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/9/2021 7:50 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 16:18:02 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> > <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.com/Cetaganda-Vorkosigan-Adventure-McMaster-Bujold/dp/06
> >> 71877445/
> >>
> > The most memorable line is spoken by Miles, upon realizing that he has
> > saved Cetganda from breaking up, something along the lines of "I've
> > always dreamed of saving the empire, but I thought it would be
> > Barryar."
>
> And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which Emperor
> Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles wears the
> Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with Emperor Gregor of
> Barrayar. That is some very nice pacing.

You are using internal order. If you use publication order, that scene
was in _Memory_ which was the book published immediately after
_Ceteganda_.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<slrnsejfqu.2vp9.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56655&group=rec.arts.sf.written#56655

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 15:40:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 15:40 UTC

On 2021-07-10, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which Emperor
> Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles wears the
> Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with Emperor Gregor of
> Barrayar.

Yes, but Gregor knows Miles and was briefed on the Cetagandan
adventure. The full effect comes when Miles, freshly appointed as
Imperial Auditor, goes to see the obstructive General Haroche:

His voice went unexpectedly plaintinve. "Vorkosigan, tell me--
_is_ that really a Cetagandan Order of Merit?" -- "Yeah. [...]
You may be one of the few men on the planet who doesn't have to
take my word for it."

Haroche's opinion of Miles as a spoiled Vor brat changes once he
sits down and skims the extremely classified reports about Miles's
activities.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<XnsAD6371011385Btaustincagmailcom@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56660&group=rec.arts.sf.written#56660

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Ninapenda Jibini)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:06:34 GMT
 by: Ninapenda Jibini - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:06 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 7/9/2021 7:50 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 16:18:02 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster
>>> Bujold
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Cetaganda-Vorkosigan-Adventure-McMaster-
>>> Bujold/dp/0671877445/
>>>
>> The most memorable line is spoken by Miles, upon realizing that
>> he has saved Cetganda from breaking up, something along the
>> lines of "I've always dreamed of saving the empire, but I
>> thought it would be Barryar."
>
> And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which
> Emperor Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles
> wears the Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with
> Emperor Gregor of Barrayar.

Along with, IIRC, the Barrayran equivalent.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<scctg3$122$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=56667&group=rec.arts.sf.written#56667

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 14:47:15 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 19:47 UTC

On 7/9/2021 11:50 PM, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <scb0cr$nms$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/9/2021 7:50 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

>>> The most memorable line is spoken by Miles, upon realizing that he has
>>> saved Cetganda from breaking up, something along the lines of "I've
>>> always dreamed of saving the empire, but I thought it would be
>>> Barryar."
>>
>> And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which Emperor
>> Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles wears the
>> Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with Emperor Gregor of
>> Barrayar. That is some very nice pacing.
>>

> You are using internal order. If you use publication order, that scene
> was in _Memory_ which was the book published immediately after
> _Ceteganda_

Thanks, I was thinking that it was "Memory". Of course, I think of
Chronological order rather than publishing order. Still, nice pacing.

Lynn

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<1fq1kgdg44rav1197suae24qmsjas14f5o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60938&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60938

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:29:24 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:29 UTC

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 21:24:22 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Cetaganda-Vorkosigan-Adventure-McMaster-Bujold/dp/0671877445/
>>>
>> The most memorable line is spoken by Miles, upon realizing that he has
>> saved Cetganda from breaking up, something along the lines of "I've
>> always dreamed of saving the empire, but I thought it would be
>> Barryar."
>
>And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which Emperor
>Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles wears the
>Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with Emperor Gregor of
>Barrayar. That is some very nice pacing.

I've read all of those but don't remember that scene.

It would be something like wearing your Order of Lenin to the White
House.

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<w560J.9892$3p3.8792@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60939&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60939

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:45:48 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:45 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:
>On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 21:24:22 -0500, Lynn McGuire
><lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which Emperor
>>Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles wears the
>>Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with Emperor Gregor of
>>Barrayar. That is some very nice pacing.
>
>I've read all of those but don't remember that scene.

It is in _Memory_.

First when he goes to Gregor and is appointed auditor, and then once when he meets with General
Haroche:

"Haroche's study of Miles hung up
on the magpie collection of military baubles on his tunic.
His voice went unexpectedly plaintive. "Vorkosigan, tell me _is_
that really a Cetagandan Order of Merit?"

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<XnsADA591C169363taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=60944&group=rec.arts.sf.written#60944

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 14:19:41 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:19 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote in

>>> The most memorable line is spoken by Miles, upon realizing
>>> that he has saved Cetganda from breaking up, something along
>>> the lines of "I've always dreamed of saving the empire, but I
>>> thought it would be Barryar."
>>
>>And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which
>>Emperor Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles
>>wears the Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with
>>Emperor Gregor of Barrayar. That is some very nice pacing.
>
> I've read all of those but don't remember that scene.
>
> It would be something like wearing your Order of Lenin to the
> White House.

He wore *all* of his decorations, to remind Gregor that however badly
he'd screwed up, he had been of some service in the past - at
considerable personal cost. The one in question, however, was rather
more prominent than the rest.

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<5ve4kgd5d1m0ko83fj29q8g4vfu9pk84p2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=61045&group=rec.arts.sf.written#61045

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 11:33:37 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:33 UTC

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:45:48 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:
>>On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 21:24:22 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>><lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which Emperor
>>>Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles wears the
>>>Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with Emperor Gregor of
>>>Barrayar. That is some very nice pacing.
>>
>>I've read all of those but don't remember that scene.
>
>It is in _Memory_.
>
>First when he goes to Gregor and is appointed auditor, and then once when he meets with General
>Haroche:
>
> "Haroche's study of Miles hung up
> on the magpie collection of military baubles on his tunic.
> His voice went unexpectedly plaintive. "Vorkosigan, tell me _is_
> that really a Cetagandan Order of Merit?"

Thanks for the heads' up - I've actually GOT Memory but if you could
see my bookshelves you might despair at their organization
particularly all the boxes that are currently piled in front of them.

Probably time to re-read the Miles books again - after I finish Julian
May's Many Colored Land series which I first read in grad school some
30 years ago. (which was my major recreation before the last year of
school when I met the girl I eventually married).

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<tphskg5vq56r7q53fpndtegvr8rl9i6b8h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=61696&group=rec.arts.sf.written#61696

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:49:27 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 21:49 UTC

wrote:

>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:
>>On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 21:24:22 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>><lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>And Miles walks away with the Cetaganda Order Of Merit which Emperor
>>>Fletchir forces on him. Six ? five ? books later, Miles wears the
>>>Cetaganda Order Of Merit to a private interview with Emperor Gregor of
>>>Barrayar. That is some very nice pacing.
>>
>>I've read all of those but don't remember that scene.
>
>It is in _Memory_.
>
>First when he goes to Gregor and is appointed auditor, and then once when he meets with General
>Haroche:
>
> "Haroche's study of Miles hung up
> on the magpie collection of military baubles on his tunic.
> His voice went unexpectedly plaintive. "Vorkosigan, tell me _is_
> that really a Cetagandan Order of Merit?"

I just finished Cryoburn (which I hadn't read before) which is the one
that includes the '5 100 word sections' as an afterword.

I simply assumed Lois McMaster Bujold had recently lost someone near
and dear to her when she wrote that in 2010 and didn't quiver in
emotion as the previous poster had. Assuming I'm right in my guess,
it's a helluva tribute to them whoever they might be.

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<wyu3J.15795$IO1.15469@fx19.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=61703&group=rec.arts.sf.written#61703

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 01:02:20 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 01:02 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:
>On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:45:48 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>wrote:
>
>>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:

>>>I've read all of those but don't remember that scene.
>>
>>It is in _Memory_.
>>
>>First when he goes to Gregor and is appointed auditor, and then once when he meets with General
>>Haroche:
>>
>> "Haroche's study of Miles hung up
>> on the magpie collection of military baubles on his tunic.
>> His voice went unexpectedly plaintive. "Vorkosigan, tell me _is_
>> that really a Cetagandan Order of Merit?"
>
>I just finished Cryoburn (which I hadn't read before) which is the one
>that includes the '5 100 word sections' as an afterword.
>
>I simply assumed Lois McMaster Bujold had recently lost someone near
>and dear to her when she wrote that in 2010 and didn't quiver in
>emotion as the previous poster had. Assuming I'm right in my guess,
>it's a helluva tribute to them whoever they might be.

Are you sure you read _Cryoburn_ before reading the drabbles at
the end?

Granted the clue to who the drabbles were
about, which is the last words of the story, is only
meaningful if you recall a certain conversation from earlier
in the series.

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<0vlukg9ps8ue4k57l1r8kb6roq2g4obqqc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=61731&group=rec.arts.sf.written#61731

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 10:12:37 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 17:12 UTC

On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 01:02:20 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

>>I simply assumed Lois McMaster Bujold had recently lost someone near
>>and dear to her when she wrote that in 2010 and didn't quiver in
>>emotion as the previous poster had. Assuming I'm right in my guess,
>>it's a helluva tribute to them whoever they might be.
>
>Are you sure you read _Cryoburn_ before reading the drabbles at
>the end?
>
>Granted the clue to who the drabbles were
>about, which is the last words of the story, is only
>meaningful if you recall a certain conversation from earlier
>in the series.

Of course I did and am pretty sure I remember that while both Gregor
and Aral were mentioned they weren't characters in the book. That's
all I'm willing to say without spoilers. I guess I've forgotten the
'certain conversation' though in the Miles series there are plenty of
such moments.

Perhaps I should re-read those 5 sections before returning it to the
library.

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<sj2is3$eae$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=61902&group=rec.arts.sf.written#61902

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:38:27 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:38 UTC

On 9/24/2021 8:02 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:
>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:45:48 GMT, scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
>> wrote:

>>> It is in _Memory_.
>>>
>>> First when he goes to Gregor and is appointed auditor, and then once when he meets with General
>>> Haroche:
>>>
>>> "Haroche's study of Miles hung up
>>> on the magpie collection of military baubles on his tunic.
>>> His voice went unexpectedly plaintive. "Vorkosigan, tell me _is_
>>> that really a Cetagandan Order of Merit?"
>>
>> I just finished Cryoburn (which I hadn't read before) which is the one
>> that includes the '5 100 word sections' as an afterword.
>>
>> I simply assumed Lois McMaster Bujold had recently lost someone near
>> and dear to her when she wrote that in 2010 and didn't quiver in
>> emotion as the previous poster had. Assuming I'm right in my guess,
>> it's a helluva tribute to them whoever they might be.
>
> Are you sure you read _Cryoburn_ before reading the drabbles at
> the end?
>
> Granted the clue to who the drabbles were
> about, which is the last words of the story, is only
> meaningful if you recall a certain conversation from earlier
> in the series.

Can I buy another clue to the earlier conversation please ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: "Cetaganda (Miles Vorkosigan Adventures)" by Lois McMaster Bujold

<robertaw-15D977.21412729092021@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=61921&group=rec.arts.sf.written#61921

From: rober...@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 21:41:27 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 04:41 UTC

In article <sj2is3$eae$2@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/24/2021 8:02 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> > The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> writes:

> >> I just finished Cryoburn (which I hadn't read before) which is the one
> >> that includes the '5 100 word sections' as an afterword.
> >>
> >> I simply assumed Lois McMaster Bujold had recently lost someone near
> >> and dear to her when she wrote that in 2010 and didn't quiver in
> >> emotion as the previous poster had. Assuming I'm right in my guess,
> >> it's a helluva tribute to them whoever they might be.
> >
> > Are you sure you read _Cryoburn_ before reading the drabbles at
> > the end?
> >
> > Granted the clue to who the drabbles were
> > about, which is the last words of the story, is only
> > meaningful if you recall a certain conversation from earlier
> > in the series.
>
> Can I buy another clue to the earlier conversation please ?

Two possibilities come to mind. The first was in chapter 3 of _Warrior's
Apprentice_ where Miles is waken by a servant who calls him "Lord
Vorkosigan". The other is in _Diplomatic Immunity_.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com