From: ...@ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Saw "The Batman" last night. Umm...
Date: 6 Mar 2022 19:05:39 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 19:05 UTC

Man, there might be a good movie in there somehwere, but this one was just
barely OK!

Saw "The Batman" last night. It's not a terrible movie...,
but it's not a particularly good one either.

First of all, it's at least an hour too long. At least. We're
talking three hours here.

Second, they just can't resist throwing in some deconstruction of
the Batman lore. I won't say how, but it's something you would
think the custodians of an iconic IP would have better sense than
to put on the screen.

Third, they can't resist throwing in some gratituous anti-white
jabs. I mean, nobody cares if Gordon is black as long as he has a
mustache, that's fine, but they just couldn't leave it there, both
with the setup and putting words in a positive character's mouth.

Fourth, that's just not The Riddler. Yes, everybody remembers the
cornball Gorshin characterization, and the comics sometime struggle
to make him a credible threat, but they really went to left field
this time.

Fifth, the only part of the Gotham power structure not in on the
corruption is the media. Really!?

Add in a convoluted plot with lots of time for emo brooding between
action sequences, and the whole thing is kind of a missed opportunity
to tell a tale of The Batman's early years.

Well, enough. OK, I'm not sorry I saw it I guess, but I have no
desire to see it again.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Saw "The Batman" last night. Umm...

<20b1329a-4734-495a-b729-2dc972641cean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6194&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6194

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 12:59:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Saw "The Batman" last night. Umm...
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (JG Rove)
 by: JG Rove - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 20:59 UTC

On Sunday, March 6, 2022 at 1:05:43 PM UTC-6, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> Man, there might be a good movie in there somehwere, but this one was just
> barely OK!
>
> Saw "The Batman" last night. It's not a terrible movie...,
> but it's not a particularly good one either.
>
> First of all, it's at least an hour too long. At least. We're
> talking three hours here.
>
> Second, they just can't resist throwing in some deconstruction of
> the Batman lore. I won't say how, but it's something you would
> think the custodians of an iconic IP would have better sense than
> to put on the screen.
>
> Third, they can't resist throwing in some gratituous anti-white
> jabs. I mean, nobody cares if Gordon is black as long as he has a
> mustache, that's fine, but they just couldn't leave it there, both
> with the setup and putting words in a positive character's mouth.
>

> Fourth, that's just not The Riddler. Yes, everybody remembers the
> cornball Gorshin characterization, and the comics sometime struggle
> to make him a credible threat, but they really went to left field
> this time.
>
> Fifth, the only part of the Gotham power structure not in on the
> corruption is the media. Really!?
>
> Add in a convoluted plot with lots of time for emo brooding between
> action sequences, and the whole thing is kind of a missed opportunity
> to tell a tale of The Batman's early years.
>
> Well, enough. OK, I'm not sorry I saw it I guess, but I have no
> desire to see it again.
> --
> columbiaclosings.com
> What's not in Columbia anymore..

I'm planning for 6 sittings to watch the DVD.