Put your trust in those who are worthy.

arts / alt.history.what-if / Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

SubjectAuthor
* Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both KoreansWolfBear
+* Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and TaiwSolomonW
|`- Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and TaiwWolfBear
`* Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to bothRich Rostrom
 +- Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and TaiwSolomonW
 `* Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to bothWolfBear

1
Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<8a259523-63fb-45be-9ec0-9839f6d617ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6113&group=alt.history.what-if#6113

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 16:18:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Fri, 14 May 2021 23:18 UTC

Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Greater Japanese Federation here--specifically one with three federal units: Japan, Korea, and Taiwan.

Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<1uwwmbi5r20qj.zb16kf65dvvo$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6116&group=alt.history.what-if#6116

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 18:20:35 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Sat, 15 May 2021 08:20 UTC

On Fri, 14 May 2021 16:18:39 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear wrote:

> Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Greater Japanese Federation here--specifically one with three federal units: Japan, Korea, and Taiwan.

There is also China, large areas were under Japanese control.

Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<b1c785af-6f89-443b-8786-e1be4fcdb42an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6120&group=alt.history.what-if#6120

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:39:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Sat, 15 May 2021 20:39 UTC

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 1:20:38 AM UTC-7, SolomonW wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2021 16:18:39 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear wrote:
>
> > Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Greater Japanese Federation here--specifically one with three federal units: Japan, Korea, and Taiwan.
> There is also China, large areas were under Japanese control.

Yes, especially but not only Manchuria.

Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<s7safk$bnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6124&group=alt.history.what-if#6124

From: rrost...@comcast.net (Rich Rostrom)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 18:39:30 -0500
 by: Rich Rostrom - Sun, 16 May 2021 23:39 UTC

On 5/14/21 6:18 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans
> and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently
> kept Korea and Taiwan? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a
> Greater Japanese Federation here--specifically one with three federal
> units: Japan, Korea, and Taiwan.

All Japan has to do is avoid war, and remain a
semi-dictatorship. Full equality for the lesser
domains probably works against continued unity
(at least in Korea). Japan is quite likely to
get into the same position as Britain was in the
late 1800s: stuck with a large bloc in in the
legislature who do nothing but obstruct business
till they get what they want.

(In the British case - the Irish Nationalists
led by Parnell of just talking - and talking and
talking and _talking_, making it impossible for
Parliament to get anything done. And if there's
anything Irishmen can do, it's talk.)

Taiwan is less likely to seek separation; they
would probably fear absorption by China.

And I really don't see a "federal" system at all.
That sort of devolution means effective internal
autonomy for Korea and Taiwan, but complete
dominance for all other purposes by Japan.

--
Nous sommes dans une pot de chambre, et nous y serons emmerdés.
--- General Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot at Sedan, 1870.

Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<1xjs7p1n9l0a.1jr7ai026me8j.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6125&group=alt.history.what-if#6125

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 19:41:01 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Mon, 17 May 2021 09:41 UTC

> Taiwan is less likely to seek separation; they
> would probably fear absorption by China.

If China is a Nationalist, this may not be true, particularly if, as you
state that the Japanese treat them as second class citizens.

Assuming Japan sits it out, then the Nationalist control about 3/4 China.
Consider that in 2019, the GDP per capita in Taiwan under mainly Nationist
rule amounted to around 25,873 U.S. dollars. This is almost double what
China under communism has done where 10,261.68 USD in 2019.

China will want 1/4 of China, including Taiwan, back.

Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<634b41a0-89c8-4c4c-b167-3b400aaa240cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6126&group=alt.history.what-if#6126

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Mon, 17 May 2021 21:35 UTC

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 4:39:33 PM UTC-7, Rich Rostrom wrote:
> On 5/14/21 6:18 PM, WolfBear wrote:
> > Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans
> > and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently
> > kept Korea and Taiwan? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a
> > Greater Japanese Federation here--specifically one with three federal
> > units: Japan, Korea, and Taiwan.
> All Japan has to do is avoid war, and remain a
> semi-dictatorship. Full equality for the lesser
> domains probably works against continued unity
> (at least in Korea). Japan is quite likely to
> get into the same position as Britain was in the
> late 1800s: stuck with a large bloc in in the
> legislature who do nothing but obstruct business
> till they get what they want.
>
> (In the British case - the Irish Nationalists
> led by Parnell of just talking - and talking and
> talking and _talking_, making it impossible for
> Parliament to get anything done. And if there's
> anything Irishmen can do, it's talk.)
>
> Taiwan is less likely to seek separation; they
> would probably fear absorption by China.
>
> And I really don't see a "federal" system at all.
> That sort of devolution means effective internal
> autonomy for Korea and Taiwan, but complete
> dominance for all other purposes by Japan.
>
> --
> Nous sommes dans une pot de chambre, et nous y serons emmerdés.
> --- General Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot at Sedan, 1870.

Koreans are going to be THAT determined to get their independence from Japan, eh?

As for Taiwanese, didn't they already consider themselves to be ethnic Chinese back then? Well, 80+% of them, at least.

Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<16y6bzl2exu2k$.vnc2h4joxklr.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6131&group=alt.history.what-if#6131

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 22:15:59 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Tue, 18 May 2021 12:15 UTC

On Mon, 17 May 2021 14:35:47 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear wrote:

> As for Taiwanese, didn't they already consider themselves to be ethnic Chinese back then? Well, 80+% of them, at least.

What is the alternative here to be a Chinese or a second class Japanese?

Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<7c74b33d-96b8-4de2-830b-56294b0ac8b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6133&group=alt.history.what-if#6133

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 12:21:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Tue, 18 May 2021 19:21 UTC

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 5:16:00 AM UTC-7, SolomonW wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2021 14:35:47 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear wrote:
>
> > As for Taiwanese, didn't they already consider themselves to be ethnic Chinese back then? Well, 80+% of them, at least.
> What is the alternative here to be a Chinese or a second class Japanese?

Being a Chinese might be more attractive if China isn't led by a totalitarian regime.

Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<2exrozwvi1db.1ag5gm7ljdetr$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6142&group=alt.history.what-if#6142

From: Solom...@citi.com (SolomonW)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 17:50:17 +1000
 by: SolomonW - Wed, 19 May 2021 07:50 UTC

On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:21:28 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 5:16:00 AM UTC-7, SolomonW wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 May 2021 14:35:47 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear wrote:
>>
>>> As for Taiwanese, didn't they already consider themselves to be ethnic Chinese back then? Well, 80+% of them, at least.
>> What is the alternative here to be a Chinese or a second class Japanese?
>
> Being a Chinese might be more attractive if China isn't led by a totalitarian regime.

Indeed, not that Japanese is that much better in this POD

Re: Had Japan given citizenship and full legal equality to both Koreans and Taiwanese and avoided war with the US, could Japan have permanently kept Korea and Taiwan?

<ab34f39f-e369-4026-9001-684dea645c36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6205&group=alt.history.what-if#6205

Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 15:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: m4j...@gmail.com (WolfBear)
 by: WolfBear - Fri, 28 May 2021 22:19 UTC

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 12:50:18 AM UTC-7, SolomonW wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:21:28 -0700 (PDT), WolfBear wrote:

> >> What is the alternative here to be a Chinese or a second class Japanese?
> >
> > Being a Chinese might be more attractive if China isn't led by a totalitarian regime.
> Indeed, not that Japanese is that much better in this POD

Very true. I wonder how Xi Jinping's China and Imperial Japan from before 1945 compare relative to the Western world of their times. As in, which one is worse?