Sanity and insanity overlap a fine grey line.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science Fiction

SubjectAuthor
* Global Warming Now Intersecting Science FictionQuadibloc
+- Re: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science FictionChristian Weisgerber
`* Re: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science Fictionpeterwezeman@hotmail.com
 `* Re: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science FictionQuadibloc
  `- Re: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science Fictionpeterwezeman@hotmail.com

1
Global Warming Now Intersecting Science Fiction

<ae1ffe21-eae9-41fb-b0ff-2731a3a16062n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62201&group=rec.arts.sf.written#62201

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 09:24:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science Fiction
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 16:24 UTC

It is true that, all along, one of the possible consequences of
global warming has been disastrous flooding of coastal
areas.

And the melting of Arctic permafrost has been seen as
leading to a serious feedback issue as methane is
released.

But now I see this report:

https://www.livescience.com/warming-arctic-nuclear-waste-viruses

which talks about varous toxic substances left in the Arctic being
released - and the possible dangers of the release of archaic
micro-organisms as well.

This sort of thing has been used as a story idea for science fiction
on more than one occasion.

John Savard

Re: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science Fiction

<slrnslp6fp.1aqt.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62206&group=rec.arts.sf.written#62206

From: nad...@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 18:31:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 18:31 UTC

On 2021-10-05, Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

> which talks about varous toxic substances left in the Arctic being
> released - and the possible dangers of the release of archaic
> micro-organisms as well.
>
> This sort of thing has been used as a story idea for science fiction
> on more than one occasion.

The first season of _Fortitude_ comes to mind, although those
weren't... well, I won't tell. That was a pretty good show. Started
out looking like a standard whodunnit, then seemed to veer into
supernatural territory, and by the end it was referencing "Who Goes
There?". Set it a remote arctic community full of people who had
_reasons_ to be as far away from civilization as possible.

Since it clearly was a "one idea, one season" kind of show, I didn't
bother watching subsequent seasons. Those who did were disappointed,
I heard. Told you so.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science Fiction

<a3b9d3ad-7348-450a-94c3-2133dfd83056n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62208&group=rec.arts.sf.written#62208

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 13:33:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 20:33 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 11:25:01 AM UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:
> It is true that, all along, one of the possible consequences of
> global warming has been disastrous flooding of coastal
> areas.
>
> And the melting of Arctic permafrost has been seen as
> leading to a serious feedback issue as methane is
> released.
>
> But now I see this report:
>
> https://www.livescience.com/warming-arctic-nuclear-waste-viruses
>
> which talks about varous toxic substances left in the Arctic being
> released - and the possible dangers of the release of archaic
> micro-organisms as well.
>
> This sort of thing has been used as a story idea for science fiction
> on more than one occasion.

If archaic micro-organisms, why not archaic macro-organisms? A remake
of _The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms_ would not need a nuclear test
to release the Rhodosaurus (or whatever) from its icy grave. This trope
actually goes back to the Fleischer Superman cartoon _The Arctic Giant_.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Re: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science Fiction

<fad478cb-2a7b-49d7-8d54-5dd56575f5ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62210&group=rec.arts.sf.written#62210

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:35:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 22:35 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 2:33:44 PM UTC-6, peterwezeman@hotmail.com wrote:

> If archaic micro-organisms, why not archaic macro-organisms? A remake
> of _The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms_ would not need a nuclear test
> to release the Rhodosaurus (or whatever) from its icy grave. This trope
> actually goes back to the Fleischer Superman cartoon _The Arctic Giant_.

Since the American television series Bewitched is said to be the inspiration from
which the Magical Girl genre flowed, why should I be surprised that all _kaiju_ also
ultimately has an American origin?

John Savard

Re: Global Warming Now Intersecting Science Fiction

<7767a01e-f13d-4264-bde2-1dd61d12c06bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=62292&group=rec.arts.sf.written#62292

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 22:27:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: peterwez...@hotmail.com (peterwezeman@hotmail.com)
 by: peterwezeman@hotmail - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 05:27 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 5:35:07 PM UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 2:33:44 PM UTC-6, peterw...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > If archaic micro-organisms, why not archaic macro-organisms? A remake
> > of _The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms_ would not need a nuclear test
> > to release the Rhodosaurus (or whatever) from its icy grave. This trope
> > actually goes back to the Fleischer Superman cartoon _The Arctic Giant_.
> Since the American television series Bewitched is said to be the inspiration from
> which the Magical Girl genre flowed, why should I be surprised that all _kaiju_ also
> ultimately has an American origin?

I have read that _Bewitched_ was itself inspired by the 1942 movie _I Married a Witch_, (based on the novel
_The Passionate Witch_, which was left unfinished by Thorne Smith on his death in 1934 and completed
by Norman Matson and published in 1941), and by the 1958 film _Bell, Book, and Candle_. Samantha is
much more empowered than the witch characters in the earlier works.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist